Torment: Tides of Numenera?

Malekith

I like the idea myself... I've never been a fan of the "Day After Tomorrow" post apocalypse RPG. What I have wanted to see is the 1 million years from now post populace human civilization.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

This is obviously going to blow right past the funding goal, maybe in as little as a day.  The question now is, where will this end up?  2 million?  3 million?  Project: Eternity territory?  Beyond?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

This is obviously going to blow right past the funding goal, maybe in as little as a day.  The question now is, where will this end up?  2 million?  3 million?  Project: Eternity territory?  Beyond?

I expect it will beat Project: Eternity as it has a stronger name behind it.

Okay I'm going to donate $50 in the next 5 minutes :)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Hmm, this might actually be something. I'll check again when i get my paycheck  :teehee:

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Sorry Alan but you can't claim to want to support this project now or say you "knew" it would succeed. We all know how critical you were about it in its marketing and pitching stage  :p  :p

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I pledged a physical tier as well. 

That's the best written KS I've seen yet.  Brian Fargo's tweet:

It was quite ironic that we hit the max limit for text on Kickstarter when writing up the detailed information

Very well done.  Can't wait to hear more and see stretch goals. 

• Like 1

I pledged a physical tier as well. 

That's the best written KS I've seen yet.  Brian Fargo's tweet:

It was quite ironic that we hit the max limit for text on Kickstarter when writing up the detailed information

Very well done.  Can't wait to hear more and see stretch goals. 

What amazing is hitting the refresh and seeing the pledge number increase, its like being part of live history :banana:

John Milton 

Sorry Alan but you can't claim to want to support this project now or say you "knew" it would succeed. We all know how critical you were about it in its marketing and pitching stage  :p  :p

Errr, WHAT?

I disliked it's usage of the name Torment, but I never once said it wouldn't succeed.  Furthermore, no where in my post did I say "I want to support this project."  Although I did earlier in the thread talk about how there's a good chance I'll contribute because I'll likely have to see how well it compares to the Torment name.

In fact, I thought I was pretty open about how the usage of the name Torment would garner them more funding than otherwise.  That, combined with the higher expectations that come with using the name, formed the crux of my reservation for using the name.  In fact, looking at the webpage I still don't agree that a game must be a Torment game in order to have a deep, thematically engaging story, a world unlike any other, a rich, personal narrative, nor reactivity, choice, and real consequences. I hope inXile feels the same way.

I straight up told Brother None that I hope the game knocks it out of the park and is awesome (since more awesome games is never bad).  It's just huge shoes to step into to state that you're picking up Torment's legacy.  With that expectation comes greater risk.  Hopefully the greater funding will mitigate that.

Errr, WHAT?

I disliked it's usage of the name Torment, but I never once said it wouldn't succeed.  Furthermore, no where in my post did I say "I want to support this project."  Although I did earlier in the thread talk about how there's a good chance I'll contribute because I'll likely have to see how well it compares to the Torment name.

In fact, I thought I was pretty open about how the usage of the name Torment would garner them more funding than otherwise.  That, combined with the higher expectations that come with using the name, formed the crux of my reservation for using the name.  In fact, looking at the webpage I still don't agree that a game must be a Torment game in order to have a deep, thematically engaging story, a world unlike any other, a rich, personal narrative, nor reactivity, choice, and real consequences. I hope inXile feels the same way.

I straight up told Brother None that I hope the game knocks it out of the park and is awesome (since more awesome games is never bad).  It's just huge shoes to step into to state that you're picking up Torment's legacy.  With that expectation comes greater risk.  Hopefully the greater funding will mitigate that.

Okay, okay you are right (geez remind me the next time I want to accuse you of something you didn't say :grin:)

You did want this project to succeed..yaaaaaaaaaaay  :biggrin:

John Milton 

Hrm.

Hopefully the success of Torment will alleviate Obsidian's doubts about alienating their audience with outlandish fantasy and they'll put more nontraditional themes, aesthetics and characters into PE.

There's clearly a very strong demand for it.

I have to say that inXile's pitch is absolutely fantastic.

Obsidian's campaign may have been fantastically conducted, but their pitch was really lacking. PE's pitch was basically "It'll be like the old IE games and it will involve a world where souls are important". No concept art, no lore, no idea about the companions or the world.
This was somewhat rectified as the campaign went on, but if the campaign had included that mock-up screen, some of Polina's art and an idea of what PE's world will be like as a part of the initial pitch I imagine it could have gotten a huge amount more support.

I'm still a bit iffy about InXile using the Torment name though.

• Like 2

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I found the pitch good, too.  They are getting good at crowd-funding, I guess.  As for the name, I think It's like FO3.  As long as we don't expect it to have to fill the shoes, it should be O.K.  Well, except that I have never toutched FO3.  :p