Technology  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of technological inventions whoud you like to see in PE ? (multi)

• Guns, cannons (gun powder)
    • Flying machines, planes, (but not advanced)
    • Baloons and/or simmilar(like in IceWind dale 2)
    • Submarienes and/or simmilar (underwater)
    • Trains and/or simillars
    • Cars and/or simmilar
    • advanced tech (at least some of them)
    • Telefones or other cominication related.
    • engines and machines that help people in daytime work.
    • Other or non of them
  2. 2. What relation shoud technology have with Magic ? (one answer)

• Technology level shoud rival with magic (Arcanum)
    • Technology shoud have no relations to magic and be completly neutal.
    • In general they shoud be neutral but somethimes they shoud go together (Enchanted engines etc)
    • Magic shoud be with good relations with magic (complementary)
    • Ralations with them shoud be complex somethimes they are neutral, somtames they are rivals and somethimes they are complementary.
    • other
  3. 3. Shoud player be able to use technology and create machines etc ? (one answer)

• Yes i whoud like to play as engineer or scientist creating engines or other machines (and of course interact with all of them)
    • Yes, most of them but not all (in reasable way)
    • Yes, but only some of them
    • Yes but only traps, gunpowder and mayby 1/2 more.
    • Yes but only gunpowder
    • No, i don't whant to use any tech. I want to play caveman
    • other

They give you some guns in your medieval fantasy world and you want to turn it in Da Vinci's dirtiest technological wet dream? :)

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I'm quite happy with some solid late Middle-Ages (some 15th century) and nothing fancy.

whoud be cool ... i saw medieval settings hundread of times ... i never saw bg-like game in "da vincis dirty technological wet dreams" setting (Arcanum is in Industial age)

It's not bad by itself, but it's not what I backed, either. Parhelion13 already illustrated how the technological level will be.

The same thing are saing guys that think that PR will be copy and paste form BG .. they also can say that this is not what they backed :)

Jotra: Not being a Luddite, but you voted for cars to be in! :no:

Even trains make me shudder in a game like this, but perhaps a few mining carts and a few stretches can be stuffed in the mega dungeon somewhere.

P.S. I did vote for submarine or something similar, just because I'd love to see some underwater maps in PE. I've always loved such settings in D&D: aquatic elves, sahaugin... Mmm...

Edited by IndiraLightfoot

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

Jotra: Not being a Luddite, but you voted for cars to be in! :no:

Even trains make me shudder in a game like this, but perhaps a few mining carts and a few stretches can be stuffed in the mega dungeon somewhere.

P.S. I did vote for submarine or something similar, just because I'd love to see some underwater maps in PE. I've always loved such settings in D&D: aquatic elves, sahaugin... Mmm...

That's wy i cad simmilar .. GTA Eternity is to much but avdanced machines that don't nececerly reasemble to cars or submarines .. (but for exapmle powert by magic) sound good but ony if the where not tipical cars ..

Edited by Ulquiorra

It appears that the devs are targeting a period no earlier than about 1520, considering the introduction of wheellock firearms. From some of the designs given and the general tone of things, however, I'd think it'd be closer to about 1550 - though still in the earlier half of the 16th century.

So, I'd expect a similar level of technology. Firearms and gunpowder artillery are one of the breakout military innovations of the era, despite being used for 200-300 years at this point. Through the last century, the matchlock has established its usefulness outside of the limited siege context that firearms were associated with before, thanks to the decreasing number of peasant levies on the battlefield and the increasing amount of steel armor worn making armor penetration an important consideration. Now the wheellock has arrived, prompting an explosion of experimentation in new designs and tactics that have recently stabilized in new innovations like the pistol, rifling, a new generation of multi-barreled firearms, and the caracole/fire by rank. Bows and crossbows are still used, but most commentators accept that their replacement with firearms is inevitable at some point in the future. Light artillery has become integrated into the battlefield with an emphasis on mobility, resulting in artillery having a place in field battles for the first time in history. And the pike is the heart of the battlefield, the aggressive and disciplined pike formations sweeping away enemy opposition.

Cavalry has also been empowered by recent technological changes. The pistol gives both light and heavy cavalry a compact, easy-to-use, and devastating anti-infantry weapon that either replaces or complements the lance. Plate armor is reaching its peak, even as the full plate suit is abandoned in favour of half plate in order to achieve greater speed and mobility while still maintaining effective armor.

Navally, firearms have also changed battles. Most cannons are still breechloaders, though as powder becomes more and more powerful muzzle loaders are increasingly being adopted to prevent escape of gases from the breech. Boarding, while still a valid tactic, occurs less often as the first truly ranged naval engagements are enabled by the range and power of cannon when compared to archers. The new carrack design has revolutionized shipbuilding, but many military ships are still galleys due to the coastal location of battles and the advantage gained from not being reliant on the wind for propulsion during battle.