Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Technological Level in PE

Technilogy Guns cannon

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

Poll: Technology (49 member(s) have cast votes)

What kind of technological inventions whoud you like to see in PE ? (multi)

1. Guns, cannons (gun powder) (34 votes [24.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.82%

2. Flying machines, planes, (but not advanced) (13 votes [9.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.49%

3. Baloons and/or simmilar(like in IceWind dale 2) (35 votes [25.55%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.55%

4. Submarienes and/or simmilar (underwater) (8 votes [5.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

5. Trains and/or simillars (13 votes [9.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.49%

6. Cars and/or simmilar (1 votes [0.73%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 0.73%

7. advanced tech (at least some of them) (4 votes [2.92%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.92%

8. Telefones or other cominication related. (5 votes [3.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.65%

9. engines and machines that help people in daytime work. (12 votes [8.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.76%

10. Other or non of them (12 votes [8.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.76%

What relation shoud technology have with Magic ? (one answer)

1. Technology level shoud rival with magic (Arcanum) (4 votes [8.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

2. Technology shoud have no relations to magic and be completly neutal. (7 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. In general they shoud be neutral but somethimes they shoud go together (Enchanted engines etc) (16 votes [32.65%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.65%

4. Magic shoud be with good relations with magic (complementary) (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

5. Ralations with them shoud be complex somethimes they are neutral, somtames they are rivals and somethimes they are complementary. (17 votes [34.69%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.69%

6. other (2 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

Shoud player be able to use technology and create machines etc ? (one answer)

1. Yes i whoud like to play as engineer or scientist creating engines or other machines (and of course interact with all of them) (4 votes [8.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

2. Yes, most of them but not all (in reasable way) (5 votes [10.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

3. Yes, but only some of them (11 votes [22.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.45%

4. Yes but only traps, gunpowder and mayby 1/2 more. (14 votes [28.57%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

5. Yes but only gunpowder (5 votes [10.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.20%

6. No, i don't whant to use any tech. I want to play caveman (7 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

7. other (3 votes [6.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.12%

Vote Guests cannot vote

TSBasilisk

TSBasilisk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

The problem with magitek in this setting is that the majority of magic here is powered by the soul itself. As such, I think creating enchanted items, especially large-scale machinery, would be incredibly difficult. If they haven't undergone an industrial revolution-type situation, creating any type of advanced machinery will be a major undertaking due to lack of raw material and man-hours required.

Much like Rose, I'm imagining a world where the possibilities exist, but nobody has yet bridged the gap to realizing them meaningfully.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

The problem with magitek in this setting is that the majority of magic here is powered by the soul itself. As such, I think creating enchanted items, especially large-scale machinery, would be incredibly difficult. If they haven't undergone an industrial revolution-type situation, creating any type of advanced machinery will be a major undertaking due to lack of raw material and man-hours required.

Much like Rose, I'm imagining a world where the possibilities exist, but nobody has yet bridged the gap to realizing them meaningfully.

Mayby it's possible to put lesser sould in sould gems like ti The Elder Scrolls series ...

TSBasilisk

TSBasilisk

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 383 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Except souls are reincarnated, so doing that would amount to eternally enslaving a living being. I don't think many would look kindly on that, gods especially; you're on their turf at that point.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

I don't know if god will be crying for buterfly soul ( if all creatures have soul )

The other way to do this is tu create syntechic soul by mage. This soul can not go to gods and simply wanishes when get free, Also we can call this soul box that only purpus is to accomodate energy given by living soul ... also this soul will have to free will and in general coud not exist in other way then is soul stone ....

btw. even enslaved soul (of living being) will return to gods some day (when power of cristal is out or item gets distroyed)

Edited by Ulquiorra, 28 January 2013 - 01:17 PM.

Calmar

Calmar

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

They give you some guns in your medieval fantasy world and you want to turn it in Da Vinci's dirtiest technological wet dream? :)

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I'm quite happy with some solid late Middle-Ages (some 15th century) and nothing fancy.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

They give you some guns in your medieval fantasy world and you want to turn it in Da Vinci's dirtiest technological wet dream? :)

I guess I'm old-fashioned, but I'm quite happy with some solid late Middle-Ages (some 15th century) and nothing fancy.

whoud be cool ... i saw medieval settings hundread of times ... i never saw bg-like game in "da vincis dirty technological wet dreams" setting (Arcanum is in Industial age)

Calmar

Calmar

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 188 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

It's not bad by itself, but it's not what I backed, either. Parhelion13 already illustrated how the technological level will be.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

It's not bad by itself, but it's not what I backed, either. Parhelion13 already illustrated how the technological level will be.

The same thing are saing guys that think that PR will be copy and paste form BG .. they also can say that this is not what they backed :)

IndiraLightfoot

IndiraLightfoot

Apex of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 5568 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Jotra: Not being a Luddite, but you voted for cars to be in! :no:

Even trains make me shudder in a game like this, but perhaps a few mining carts and a few stretches can be stuffed in the mega dungeon somewhere.

P.S. I did vote for submarine or something similar, just because I'd love to see some underwater maps in PE. I've always loved such settings in D&D: aquatic elves, sahaugin... Mmm...

Edited by IndiraLightfoot, 29 January 2013 - 07:54 AM.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

Jotra: Not being a Luddite, but you voted for cars to be in! :no:

Even trains make me shudder in a game like this, but perhaps a few mining carts and a few stretches can be stuffed in the mega dungeon somewhere.

P.S. I did vote for submarine or something similar, just because I'd love to see some underwater maps in PE. I've always loved such settings in D&D: aquatic elves, sahaugin... Mmm...

That's wy i cad simmilar .. GTA Eternity is to much but avdanced machines that don't nececerly reasemble to cars or submarines .. (but for exapmle powert by magic) sound good but ony if the where not tipical cars ..

Edited by Ulquiorra, 29 January 2013 - 08:57 AM.

Diagoras

Diagoras

Gunsage of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 198 posts

It appears that the devs are targeting a period no earlier than about 1520, considering the introduction of wheellock firearms. From some of the designs given and the general tone of things, however, I'd think it'd be closer to about 1550 - though still in the earlier half of the 16th century.

So, I'd expect a similar level of technology. Firearms and gunpowder artillery are one of the breakout military innovations of the era, despite being used for 200-300 years at this point. Through the last century, the matchlock has established its usefulness outside of the limited siege context that firearms were associated with before, thanks to the decreasing number of peasant levies on the battlefield and the increasing amount of steel armor worn making armor penetration an important consideration. Now the wheellock has arrived, prompting an explosion of experimentation in new designs and tactics that have recently stabilized in new innovations like the pistol, rifling, a new generation of multi-barreled firearms, and the caracole/fire by rank. Bows and crossbows are still used, but most commentators accept that their replacement with firearms is inevitable at some point in the future. Light artillery has become integrated into the battlefield with an emphasis on mobility, resulting in artillery having a place in field battles for the first time in history. And the pike is the heart of the battlefield, the aggressive and disciplined pike formations sweeping away enemy opposition.

Cavalry has also been empowered by recent technological changes. The pistol gives both light and heavy cavalry a compact, easy-to-use, and devastating anti-infantry weapon that either replaces or complements the lance. Plate armor is reaching its peak, even as the full plate suit is abandoned in favour of half plate in order to achieve greater speed and mobility while still maintaining effective armor.

Navally, firearms have also changed battles. Most cannons are still breechloaders, though as powder becomes more and more powerful muzzle loaders are increasingly being adopted to prevent escape of gases from the breech. Boarding, while still a valid tactic, occurs less often as the first truly ranged naval engagements are enabled by the range and power of cannon when compared to archers. The new carrack design has revolutionized shipbuilding, but many military ships are still galleys due to the coastal location of battles and the advantage gained from not being reliant on the wind for propulsion during battle.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Technilogy, Guns, cannon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users