Technology  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of technological inventions whoud you like to see in PE ? (multi)

• Guns, cannons (gun powder)
    • Flying machines, planes, (but not advanced)
    • Baloons and/or simmilar(like in IceWind dale 2)
    • Submarienes and/or simmilar (underwater)
    • Trains and/or simillars
    • Cars and/or simmilar
    • advanced tech (at least some of them)
    • Telefones or other cominication related.
    • engines and machines that help people in daytime work.
    • Other or non of them
  2. 2. What relation shoud technology have with Magic ? (one answer)

• Technology level shoud rival with magic (Arcanum)
    • Technology shoud have no relations to magic and be completly neutal.
    • In general they shoud be neutral but somethimes they shoud go together (Enchanted engines etc)
    • Magic shoud be with good relations with magic (complementary)
    • Ralations with them shoud be complex somethimes they are neutral, somtames they are rivals and somethimes they are complementary.
    • other
  3. 3. Shoud player be able to use technology and create machines etc ? (one answer)

• Yes i whoud like to play as engineer or scientist creating engines or other machines (and of course interact with all of them)
    • Yes, most of them but not all (in reasable way)
    • Yes, but only some of them
    • Yes but only traps, gunpowder and mayby 1/2 more.
    • Yes but only gunpowder
    • No, i don't whant to use any tech. I want to play caveman
    • other

Just because there's some wheellock guns, doesn't mean that the game should go all technology! or inventors! with it's themes. Sure there could be some renaissance clockpunk style contraptions somewhere or maybe plots involving some genius inventor (who might also be a wizard), but actual gameplay elements that have player as the inventor would be too much, I think.

SODOFF Steam group.

If i remmeber corretly davs annouced that game shoud have guns and cannons and be INSPIRED by late middle ages .. off course that train, electycity, telefons or submarines where invented later but in our world we don't have magic .. the problem of engines or trains where  dicoverd so late becouse the major problem was that both need some kind of energy to move ...

If magic coud provide that it can then even trains powerd by magic cristals whoud be possible ...

This is not Arcanum. Last i heard P:E will not be steampunk.

Gunpowder !=Technology. Ancient Chinese had gunpowder pretty early. That doesn't meant that they had submarines and telephones.

Most likely the technological level will be wheelock pistols, canons is few parts of the world, and maybe explosive munitions and thats it.

No reason for more in a fantasy setting.

Also there is no reason for magic vs technology. It will be a high magic fantasy setting where the "technology" won't be techology at all. At least not as you meant it.

Not much of a competition if you ask me.

Edited by Malekith

Spelling = yeesh...

How many langueges you know ? hypocrite (and im sure your spelling is allways perfect even if you are in hurry) becouse you propably can't put a single sentence without spell-cheker ... English is not my first language but most of the people can understand what im talkig/ writhing and that even you make some mistekes even if it your first ... So please don't act like grammar hitler and stop provoking ...

This is not Arcanum. Last i heard P:E will not be steampunk.

Gunpowder !=Technology. Ancient Chinese had gunpowder pretty early. That doesn't meant that they had submarines and telephones.

Most likely the technological level will be wheelock pistols, canons is few parts of the world, and maybe explosive munitions and thats it.

No reason for more in a fantasy setting.

Also there is no reason for magic vs technology. It will be a high magic fantasy setting where the "technology" won't be techology at all. At least not as you meant it.

Not much of a competition if you ask me.

Even toilet paper is some kind of technology (before people use leafs) so there allways will be somekind of technology .. but question is how advanced ?

In Arcanum technology was advanced to become a rival to magic ...

Spelling = yeesh...

How many languages you know ? hypocrite (and im sure your spelling is allways perfect even if you are in hurry) becouse you propably can't put a single sentence without spell-cheker ... English is not my first language but most of the people can understand what im talkig/ writhing and that even you make some mistekes even if it your first ... So please don't act like grammar hitler and stop provoking ...

If you want to be taken seriously, then I strongly recommend improving both your grammar and your spelling. Thank you. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Spelling = yeesh...

How many languages you know ? hypocrite (and im sure your spelling is allways perfect even if you are in hurry) becouse you propably can't put a single sentence without spell-cheker ... English is not my first language but most of the people can understand what im talkig/ writhing and that even you make some mistekes even if it your first ... So please don't act like grammar hitler and stop provoking ...

If you want to be taken seriously, then I strongly recommend improving both your grammar and your spelling. Thank you. :)

I don't care if you take me seriously, i accept your advise and becouse of that i am still trying to learn something (by talking to people on this forum) and talk about subject im intrested ...

You don't need to take me seriously, im not gonna candidate for the next Governor of California...

I don't care if you take me seriously, i accept your advise and becouse of that i am still trying to learn something (by talking to people on this forum) and talk about subject im intrested ...

You don't need to take me seriously, im not gonna candidate for the next Governor of California...

Fair enough.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

This kind of technology would be awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqG1ra6JDL8

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Just for reference, what the devs have announced so far is here.

Technology
The cultures of Project Eternity are in a variety of different technological states. Though some remote civilizations are still in the equivalent of Earth's Stone Age or Bronze Age, most large civilizations are in the equivalent of Earth's high or late Middle Ages. The most aggressive and powerful civilizations are in the early stages of what would be our early modern period, technologically, even if they are not culturally undergoing "Renaissance"-style changes.

For most large civilizations, this means that all of the core arms and armor of medieval warfare have reached a high level of development: full suits of articulated plate armor, a variety of military swords, war hammers, polearms, longbows, crossbows, and advanced siege weaponry.  Architecturally, these cultures also employ technologies found in Earth's Gothic structures, allowing them to create towering vertical structures.

The most recent technologies seeing use in the world are ocean-going carrack-style ships and black powder firearms (notably absent: the printing press). Cultures with large navies and mercantile traffic are exploring the world, which has led to contact with previously-unknown lands and societies and settlement in new lands. Despite their intense drive, these explorers have been restricted from aggressive long-range exploration by monstrous sea creatures that pose a lethal, seemingly insurmountable threat to even the stoutest, most well-armed ships.

Black powder firearms are of the single-shot wheellock variety. Largely considered complex curiosities, these weapons are not employed extensively by military forces. Their long reload times are considered a liability in battles against foes that are too monstrous to drop with a single volley, foes that fly or move at high speed, and foes that have the power of invisibility. Despite this, some individuals do employ firearms for one specific purpose: close range penetration of the arcane veil, a standard magical defense employed by wizards. The arcane veil is powerful, but it does not react well to the high-velocity projectiles generated by arquebuses and handguns. As a result, more wizards who previously relied on the veil and similar abjurations have turned to traditional armor for additional defense.

Also of particular note from, this update, two pieces concerning world lore:

Magran - The Aedyran name for a goddess of war and fire. Her priests commonly employ firearms and some helped construct the "Godhammer" bomb used to destroy St. Waidwen. Following the Saint's War, she became the most popular faith in Dyrwood. In Aedyr, her symbol is a flame, but in Dyrwood, it is a flaming bomb. Worship of Magran is extensively persecuted in Readceras.

Readceras, The Penitential Regency of - The ecclesiastic nation that was formerly an Aedyre colony and later an independent theocratic dictatorship (the Divine Kingdom of Readceras). Two centuries ago, a popular religious movement took hold in the countryside, in part sparked by the collapse of the nation's vorlas (purple dye-producing plant) market, its resultant poverty, and general civil unrest. The leader of the movement was a farmer named Waidwen who claimed that the Aedyre god of light, Eothas, had appeared to him in the night and told him to punish the colonial governor for leading the people to ruin. Waidwen's success led to his apparent transformation into a living vessel for Eothas, after which he became the first and only "divine king" of the country. His rule produced a subsequent purge of heretics and followers of other faiths across the nation. Events related to this purge led to the Saint's War with Dyrwood, which informally ended in 2618 AI when Waidwen was apparently destroyed by a massive bomb north of Halgot Citadel (popularly renamed Godhammer Citadel).

Both of which indicate a weapon of mass destruction, though whether it was a technological or divine achievement (or both) remains to be seen.

Edited by Parhelion13
  • Like 1

So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

I wouldn't mind seeing some mind flayer tech. They've used that before in some level designs. Maybe a technology related quest could be woven into P:E, one that allows the Cipher to shine?

Some kind of device that allows the party to use it against an illithid menace, by "powering up" the party for a boss fight. But then that technology doesn't work in the outside world because the link has been severed.

Possibly cliche, but they could mix things up a little.

I'd like to see how mind flayers deal with a *Blunderbuss* in that smug squid-face of theirs.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

I think it should be a lower level of tech than Arcanum. Better like the Renaissance age tech or like the British Civil War time - basic gun powder and simple engineering. I prefer mix with a bit advanced communication tech(eg. telegraph in Arcanum, or some magic communication method).

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

According to updates we eill have many types of techlogical levels. Some cultures will be an bronze ege some even in advanced. So don't worry that whole world whoud be like Ghost in shell advanced ...

But i whoud love to se type of tech besides of gunpowder ... modern day engines are advanced mechanisms but in fantasy setting it coud be just magic cristal and a wheel

Mostly I'd like to keep tech comparatively low (ie. late-middle-ages/renaissance) but I wouldn't mind seeing some more advanced ones, particularly ideas that could be invented and used practically at a quite low `tech level` but just weren't thought of for a while. For example, semaphore (think the clacks in diskworld). Also I'd like to see more advanced firearms present in limited quantities: possibly as a plot point we could have a nation becoming nigh-on unstoppable because it's using bolt-action rifles and ironclads against muskets and galleons.

Also, just because technology is low doesn't mean philosophy and culture is. I'd quite like to see civilizations with more modern attitudes vis a vis government and such. Again, Diskworld is probably a good inspiration here. Well, not so much the comedy and such, but you know.

`This is just the beginning, Citizens! Today we have boiled a pot who's steam shall be seen across the entire galaxy. The Tea Must Flow, and it shall! The banner of the British Space Empire will be unfurled across a thousand worlds, carried forth by the citizens of Urn, and before them the Tea shall flow like a steaming brown river of shi-*cough*- shimmering moral fibre!` - God Emperor of Didcot by Toby Frost.

I think it should be in its discovery age:

The technology should be developing as the player is playing the game.

Meaning the world will not be filled with technologic type weapons/constructs/vehicles but those still will appear in the story (maybe even through our hero himself).

The problem with magitek in this setting is that the majority of magic here is powered by the soul itself. As such, I think creating enchanted items, especially large-scale machinery, would be incredibly difficult. If they haven't undergone an industrial revolution-type situation, creating any type of advanced machinery will be a major undertaking due to lack of raw material and man-hours required.

Much like Rose, I'm imagining a world where the possibilities exist, but nobody has yet bridged the gap to realizing them meaningfully.

The problem with magitek in this setting is that the majority of magic here is powered by the soul itself. As such, I think creating enchanted items, especially large-scale machinery, would be incredibly difficult. If they haven't undergone an industrial revolution-type situation, creating any type of advanced machinery will be a major undertaking due to lack of raw material and man-hours required.

Much like Rose, I'm imagining a world where the possibilities exist, but nobody has yet bridged the gap to realizing them meaningfully.

Mayby it's possible to put lesser sould in sould gems like ti The Elder Scrolls series ...

I don't know if god will be crying for buterfly soul ( if all creatures have soul )

The other way to do this is tu create syntechic soul by mage. This soul can not go to gods and simply wanishes when get free, Also we can call this soul box that only purpus is to accomodate energy given by living soul ... also this soul will have to free will and in general coud not exist in other way then is soul stone ....

btw. even enslaved soul (of living being) will return to gods some day (when power of cristal is out or item gets distroyed)

Edited by Ulquiorra