Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Characters from games that you HATE and don't whanna see in PE (or even be inspired)

Characters Companions NPC

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

argan

argan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer

Kai Leng. Save us from useless space ninjas, or their equivalent.

Aldereth

Aldereth

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I would actually go so far as to say, give us a believable space ninja.  Not for Project Eternity of course since PE has nothing to do with space.  (I think).

Edited by Aldereth, 18 May 2013 - 09:16 AM.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I would actually go so far as to say, give us a believable space ninja.  Not for Project Eternity of course since PE has nothing to do with space.  (I think).

Haha.

My problem with Kai Leng had nothing to do with him being a space ninja. He would've fit in perfectly in the Shadowrun universe, as a Street Samurai. 8P

My problem with Kai Leng is that he was all "I'm literally the best person operative in the universe, because of my own awesomeness and skill. Oh no, you've partially killed me! GUNSHIP! COVER ME WHILE I USE A BUNCH OF TECHNOLOGY THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME FOR FREE (and which I had absolutely no part in developing or implementing) TO ESSENTIALLY REGENERATE MYSELF BACK TO MAXIMUM EFFECTIVENESS! ZOMG, YOU GUYS! Did you see how badly I kicked your arses, solely on my own, without the help of a huge effing gunship or a bunch of technology that could make a kitten badass? LOLZ!"

How's about no characters like that. No calm, collected, precision badasses with narcissistic tendencies who rely on literally everything that isn't of their own making. A narcissist who's so obsessed with being the best that he trains as hard as he can for 10 hours a day and can break into a castle with a toothpick? Sure. But not one with literally a cyborg body who constantly runs away and has gunships and oodles of no-name soldiers cover his cowardice, all the while thinking he's the ultimate badass.

Micamo

Micamo

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 312 posts

Eh, the problem with Kai Leng is the same problem with all of Cerberus in ME3 (and to a lesser extent in ME2): They're what happens when your DM gets a woody for a pet NPC and decides to stroke it at the expense of the players' enjoyment of the game. Except even worse because in a video game you can control the PCs to a much greater extent. They're these massive idiots who somehow have infinite resources and succeed at everything they try because Shepard comes down with Cutscene Stupidity Syndrome.

Actually, you know who he's just like? Ammon mother-****ing Jerro. At least you aren't railroaded into having Kai Leng join your party just after he murders Garrus.

Edited by Micamo, 18 May 2013 - 02:58 PM.

cleric Nemir

cleric Nemir

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 105 posts

Oh look,a place to throw rocks at NWN 2..  :devil:

Jokes aside,I actually want to say something regarding the post. Capslock time.

WHATEVER YOU DO,DO NOT FORCE US TO DRAG AROUND YOUR NPC CHARACTERS.

Make this a golden rule. I simply do not wish to have been made to go to a key location followed by an NPC that I dislike. NEVER.

Make me choose,make me regret,but do not force it upon me. That's all I wish to say here.

• milczyciel and marelooke like this

Oerwinde

Oerwinde

Treacherous Decepticon

• Members
  • 2912 posts
  • Location:Cybertron, hidden in an extradimensional space in Canada.
  • Xbox Gamertag:Oerwinde (also Playstation Network ID)
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!
I like what BG2 did with companions in that they never really joined you. They would tag along if you wanted, but aside from Jaheira, Minsc, Imoen, and to a lesser degree, Yoshimo, they weren't really attached personally to the PC.

mickeym

mickeym

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Anomen. Why did the worst personality in the game have to be one of the most powerful recruitable NPCs? WHY?!

argan

argan

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 46 posts

Haha.

My problem with Kai Leng had nothing to do with him being a space ninja. He would've fit in perfectly in the Shadowrun universe, as a Street Samurai. 8P

My problem with Kai Leng is that he was all "I'm literally the best person operative in the universe, because of my own awesomeness and skill. Oh no, you've partially killed me! GUNSHIP! COVER ME WHILE I USE A BUNCH OF TECHNOLOGY THAT WAS GIVEN TO ME FOR FREE (and which I had absolutely no part in developing or implementing) TO ESSENTIALLY REGENERATE MYSELF BACK TO MAXIMUM EFFECTIVENESS! ZOMG, YOU GUYS! Did you see how badly I kicked your arses, solely on my own, without the help of a huge effing gunship or a bunch of technology that could make a kitten badass? LOLZ!"

How's about no characters like that. No calm, collected, precision badasses with narcissistic tendencies who rely on literally everything that isn't of their own making. A narcissist who's so obsessed with being the best that he trains as hard as he can for 10 hours a day and can break into a castle with a toothpick? Sure. But not one with literally a cyborg body who constantly runs away and has gunships and oodles of no-name soldiers cover his cowardice, all the while thinking he's the ultimate badass.

That's true as well. It felt extra stupid that Shephard is heralded and built up to become some kind of unstoppable demi-god and then this joke of a guy comes and beats him in a damn cutscene? Seriously, Bioware, what the hell were you thinking?

And just the fact that he's introduced in the ME novels before being introduced in the game, and then not even given an explanation of who he is or why the hell he is there?

Yeah, Bioware lost it completely with Mass Effect 3.

• Posbi likes this

kapuski

kapuski

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 2 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well to be fair, Kai Leng wasn't as bad as the catalyst kid. Deus Ex Machina is annoying in any game, but then you assign a random kid to that role and you activate my infinity hate mode.

Also Witcher 2 main enemy guy was really boring. The makers just decided to max all his attributes and call it a character. "oh, he is a muscular fighter. AND a wizard! AND a master of plots! AND does parkour! He is the perfect bad guy!" 

anameforobsidian

anameforobsidian

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1176 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I hated Grobnar.

Boone bored me.

Zhjaeve was more a plot device than character.

I honestly don't remember Casavir.

Carth from Kotor really annoyed me.

Then there was the drunken fighter from Jade Empire....

Well to be fair, Kai Leng wasn't as bad as the catalyst kid. Deus Ex Machina is annoying in any game, but then you assign a random kid to that role and you activate my infinity hate mode.

Also Witcher 2 main enemy guy was really boring. The makers just decided to max all his attributes and call it a character. "oh, he is a muscular fighter. AND a wizard! AND a master of plots! AND does parkour! He is the perfect bad guy!" 

So he's pretty much evil Geralt then.  Sounds like a perfect match to me.

Edited by anameforobsidian, 11 December 2013 - 02:15 AM.

• Posbi likes this

DuskDweller78

DuskDweller78

Crimson Dusk of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 8 posts

Xan...... we're all doooooomed.

Irx

Irx

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Always disliked Bastila from kotor.

HansKrSG

HansKrSG

True Dreamer of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 201 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I thought Anomen was fun. I definitely want a character who is a pompous ass.

In my first dozen playthroughs of BG2 I hated Anomen and never in the rest of those playthroughs recruited him again after an unfortunate situation where he did something very stupid (don't want to spoil the Anomen story). But I tried again later, and made him not do stupid stuff, and after that, he has been my Cleric of choice if my PC is not a Cleric. Anomen turns out to be bereable after a while after all.

Sykid

Sykid

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 67 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oghren is awesome.  Stereotypical dwarf or not, every game needs a character to point out how ridiculous things are and take the piss out of the seriousness of the game now and again.

marelooke

marelooke

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1115 posts
  • Steam:marelooke
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Oghren is awesome.  Stereotypical dwarf or not, every game needs a character to point out how ridiculous things are and take the piss out of the seriousness of the game now and again.

Personally I prefer the dwarf from Dragon Age 2 for that role.

PhroX

PhroX

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I don't mind having characters I dislike, as long as I dislike them because they're an unpleasant but believable character, as opposed to them being a badly written boring character. For me, the classic example of this done well would be Anomen - yes, he was a stuck up arrogant <expletive deleted> who I would want nothing to do with, but you can understand why his is this way - raised amongst the nobility, trained by paladins, combined with an abrasive personality to begin with. His attitude is unpleasant but completely believable given his backstory and his romance is actually very interesting, probably the best all the BG2 ones - he really develops extremely well as a character. Don't like him in the slightest, but he's well written and I fully welcome characters like that in the game. I sure as hell don't like everyone I've met IRL, and as such I shouldn't like everyone I meet in a game...

If there's one character archetype I really dislike, it's the "different for the sake of being different" ones. You know, when the writers think they're being sooo clever making a dwarf wizard, or an elf who hates nature. I'm not necessarily against such characters, but 90% of the time, they are entirely defined by being different from the norm. They have no actual character themselves. I'm much rather a well written stereotypical drunken dwarf warrior than a "unique" dwarf mage who's only personality trait is that he's a mage.

Ultimately, I guess both these points come down to the same thing - I don't really mind what the characters are, as long as they're believable and well written.

Edited by PhroX, 11 December 2013 - 10:50 AM.

• JFSOCC likes this

Wolfenbarg

Wolfenbarg

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 155 posts

Neeshka (you can bundle Mission Vao in here too), I absolutely hate this kind of character. It's not enough that she's supremely annoying, but despite her background she has absolutely no depth beyond the trope they assign her. When we got to Neverwinter and it turned out she was actually the best thief in town and was run out as a result I actually laughed out loud. That is completely unbelievable and so very stock. It would be more consistent with her demeanor for her to have been a common dreg, hated because of her extra planar blood who didn't want to be an enforcer in some corrupt guild and left. It would give her room to grow, she could become the best thief in Neverwinter by traveling with you, not just be a fully developed and fully annoying character from the beginning. The only in character and believable thing she did all game was get kidnapped by the bad guys in the final dungeon. 

Something I would like to see though are characters you love to hate. Fragile alliances are typically done very poorly in games, where a person just sort of tags along without you actually needing them. Bishop and Ammon Jerro worked pretty well in this regard. They were necessary for the plot, so even though they were horrible people who had done terrible things, you had no choice but to take them with. With Ammon Jerro though, they really developed him and used him in a way where you can form some mutual respect for one another. The battle at Shandra's farmstead is pretty much the sole reason I don't totally hate NWN2. Having an arc with a character you previously hated is one of the strongest things you can do in fiction, and most games usually avoid this or do it really poorly. This is something I would like to see again.

Messier-31

Messier-31

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Monks.

charms

charms

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Look, I know you're the leader and all, no problem with that, but I just can't trust you. No, look, I can't trust you, I can't trust Bastila, I can't trust anyone!

Alright. Fine! Let's just... let's just get this over with.

RabidWeevil

RabidWeevil

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 5 posts
Well, most of my big ones are already in place, but how about I break the mold a bit and say Matt Miller from Saints Row the Third. I got so mad when my coop buddy and I best his annoying gang, only to find out that we HAD to let him live, and worse, join your gang! Seriously, I don't care if it means one of my many buildings got leveled, I was supposedly this bloodthirsty gang leader and there wasn't even a chance for some payback for all the aggravation he'd caused? It wasn't so much his character in that case as it was the circumstances around getting him to join you, but it really irked me.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Characters, Companions, NPC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users