Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Characters from games that you HATE and don't whanna see in PE (or even be inspired)

Characters Companions NPC

• Please log in to reply
162 replies to this topic

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

There should be an option to add custom voice sets like in IWD/IWD2.

So if you want Beavis and Butt-head, or Arnold Schwarzenegger, or Gunnery Sergeant Hartman in your party, drag and drop. Problem solved.

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I loved Qara. FIRE! Fire everywhere ahahahaaaaa!

As a sorceress, Qara was a useful companion. But any time you have someone in your team who is not a team player, it feels more like a waste of time rather than roleplaying all the "conflict resolution". It's like watching an episode of "The Apprentice".

Personally, I could have done without her attitude. I remember her for all the wrong reasons, to the point where I built my own sorcerer and played the game without her, just so I didn't have to listen to her. Her voice was like a cheese grater against the side of my head. Same with Neeshka.

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1396 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Geez, I really do not get the issues that people have with some of the mentioned characters. You may _personally_ dislike them, but that does not mean they were badly written...

1) Do they represent the class archetypes?

2) Do they represent their assumed alignment and moral stance?

3) Do they represent their stats?

4) Do they represent their cultural background?

Now the things that are also important and make a mediocre character turn into a great one

5) The reason for joining the player's team and staying with him to the end

6) Their own story and own mission within the game that shows something slightly exceptional about that character, when comparing to more common NPCs

I see some whining on characters which had strong personal beliefs, such as Casavir, Carth, etc. - they are not badly written, and they would really lose a lot of their appeal, if they were different. Given points 1 to 4, they work well. In fact, if their personalities and their character coherency is what makes you annoyed, that means they work well. The worst that can happen is a character that you've played with and don't even remember it now. The ones that drive indifference car.

The things that make a character bad are generally ideas pulled out of the ass and not really fitting the world that's been presented around you (example - for me it was the space child and space ninja in ME3). I have to admit that most of characters in DA2 I hardly even remember, and from DA:O I need to think for a while to recall them all and their roles.

In BG series I'd also have problems with describing all of the potential companions, but that is just because all of them were completely optional and I have never taken some into the party (because I was full already :) )

• quechn1tlan likes this

Cultist

Cultist

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 453 posts

Elanee - was horrible, and unavoidable, which made it even more horrible.

Fenris - animu emo homo whiner. Couldn't get any worse.

Khelgar Ironfist - forced to join you no matter how you resist.

Sand - words can't express how annoying he was.

Bao-Dur- he was so....empty and shallow.

Jacob(ME) and Miranda- something makes me want to shot them.

Leliana - could be just annoying, but with BioWare's decision to retcon her she moved to the most despised in my list.

Mina Tang- she was incredibly annoying during entire Alpha Protocol and I'm thankful to Obsidian that they allowed me to kill her.

And the prize winner - Tallis from Dragon Age 2:MotA. She was the worst of them all combined.

Edited by Cultist, 29 January 2013 - 02:10 AM.

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I actually agree with it as substance, just not as criticism. The point
does rather seem to have been missed though that the companions in K2
like those in PST are meant to be reflections of and bound to the PC as a fundamental part of their design and purpose.

If companions only purpose is PC, it's hard to respect them.

It worked better in Planescape because of the novelty and how the fundamental concept of the Past had ties to everything around you there. And... Planescape cast is just better written.

P.S. I hope characters in P:E won't follow PC "because souls". There are already weapons and combat techniques which work better "because souls", so... yeah.

Edited by Shadenuat, 29 January 2013 - 03:03 AM.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

Well, there aren't going to be characters from any other game because that would be copyright infringement. Not to mention the fact that you people (we all know who I mean,) have a rather insulting expectation that Obsidian's writers need to copy bad characters from other games.

I don't understand where you (the ones who think P:E's characters are going to be directly lifted/plagiarized or carbon copies of characters from other games, there are multiple threads on this subject,) get this idea.

let me explain.

A) This is not about copy and pase but simple inspiration ---> characters that we don't whant to be inspirations gor PE becouse they are shallow

B) We simple say that we don't want character maked like are most hated ones,  they life only becouse someone was lasy or had low skills and er don't what some characters made the same way

C) Do you have to take everything literally ?

Alexjh

Alexjh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Fenris - animu emo homo whiner. Couldn't get any worse.

Much as Fenris very much seemed like he got lost on the way to being the protagonist of a JRPG that is not excuse for homophobia.

• mkreku, aluminiumtrioxid, qloher and 3 others like this

moridin84

moridin84

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Haha, first thing I thought when reading the title was "Elanee", second was "Cassavir". I truely loathed Elanee's character and Cassavir was really boring and shallow. 

Alistair (Dragon Age) could be considered to be a similar "whining" character but I liked him. Part of this was because he was funny, another part is because he did he more than just whine all the time.

Morrigan (Dragon Age) was a character who complained of your actions when you acted against her personal beliefs but I liked her too. Part of this is again because she was funny, another part is that she actually would argue with you (as opposed to just preaching) and had complex reasons for her opinions. Yet another reason is that she actually had a lot of conversations outside of "I believe this" and "plot".

Edited by moridin84, 29 January 2013 - 12:42 PM.

Frenetic Pony

Frenetic Pony

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 233 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I loved Qara. FIRE! Fire everywhere ahahahaaaaa!

As a sorceress, Qara was a useful companion. But any time you have someone in your team who is not a team player, it feels more like a waste of time rather than roleplaying all the "conflict resolution". It's like watching an episode of "The Apprentice".

Personally, I could have done without her attitude. I remember her for all the wrong reasons, to the point where I built my own sorcerer and played the game without her, just so I didn't have to listen to her. Her voice was like a cheese grater against the side of my head. Same with Neeshka.

Hey, I loved Neeshka as well! My NWN 2 party was usually her, Qara, me, and swapping someone.

At least you remember them, and could avoid them if you liked. That, I suppose, at least shows a solid character. Some NPC you remember, has a definitive personality, and can either take on or avoid as you wish. If you end up with an NPC you HAVE to have, that's bad because who's to say you enjoy them?

If you end up with an NPC you don't remember at all, then what was the point of them? As long as there's a wide variety of NPC's to choose from, and they're memorable, then that seems good to me.

TRX850

TRX850

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 632 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Hey, I loved Neeshka as well! My NWN 2 party was usually her, Qara, me, and swapping someone.

For me, it never felt right to have such young NPCs in the party. Neeshka reminded me of a cheerleader, and Qara was the highschool bully you love to hate.

If there was a way to turn off the voice-over, I must've missed it.

I prefer more mature, cynical, and politically incorrect types. Ones that have *earned* the right to be cranky.  Some of the NPCs from BG/BG2 were a bit like that.

• IndiraLightfoot likes this

Umberlin

Umberlin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 545 posts

I was wondering what a teenager like Mission Vao was doing on an epic quest to end a trans-galactic war.

I also think that she coud be a little bit older ...

Funny, I more often find myself wondering why characters that are older than children/teenagers in games, on these 'epic' quests have next to zero skills, sometimes not even starting at level 1, being somehow below that.

Edited by Umberlin, 29 January 2013 - 04:21 PM.

moridin84

moridin84

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Teenagers are too young to be on a "world saving quest"? Anyone who thinks that is clearly an old person :p

• qloher, IndiraLightfoot and TRX850 like this

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

Teenagers are in general difficult to input as "World-savers". Becouse normal teenager when he sees a zombie or ther supernatural crature whoud propably run ...

Thats not becouse thay are cowards, but they still in some way kids that wanna play, enjoy life, make jokes and live their own life ... it is realy hard to make a teenage character that is convincing as world-saver ...

I don't think we shoud play Grand-Farts like Forton but at least 20 year old .. that is still youg but more mature character ...

moridin84

moridin84

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Teenagers are in general difficult to input as "World-savers". Becouse normal teenager when he sees a zombie or ther supernatural crature whoud propably run ...

Thats not becouse thay are cowards, but they still in some way kids that wanna play, enjoy life, make jokes and live their own life ... it is realy hard to make a teenage character that is convincing as world-saver ...

I don't think we shoud play Grand-Farts like Forton but at least 20 year old .. that is still youg but more mature character ...

You serious?

What about...

Harry Potter (Harry Potter)

Simon (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

Daenerys Targaryen (A Game of Thrones / Song of Fire and Ice)

Claire Bennet (Heroes)

Alexjh

Alexjh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Out of interest, how many teenagers from medieval times (where they would have been working from a young age anyway) or from the distant future do you personally know?  The idea of a teenager being anything other than a small adult is a pretty modern concept...

I hope we get the full spectrum of ages, including old and young, especially considered that in a fantasy setting combat prowess doesn't necessarily have to be in correlation with strength when there are magic and mystic skills in the offing.

Edited by Alexjh, 30 January 2013 - 03:20 AM.

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

You serious?

What about...

Harry Potter (Harry Potter)

Simon (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn)

Daenerys Targaryen (A Game of Thrones / Song of Fire and Ice)

Claire Bennet (Heroes)

Harry Potter and Deanerys where put in scecial condision and in the preasure they evolved in more adult ones ..

Ulquiorra

Ulquiorra

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 488 posts

Out of interest, how many teenagers from medieval times (where they would have been working from a young age anyway) or from the distant future do you personally know?  The idea of a teenager being anything other than a small adult is a pretty modern concept...

I hope we get the full spectrum of ages, including old and young, especially considered that in a fantasy setting combat prowess doesn't necessarily have to be in correlation with strength when there are magic and mystic skills in the offing.

I mayby look old but i wasn't living in medival times so "PERSONALLY" i don't know any of them.

Darkpriest

Darkpriest

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1396 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Well to be honest in the old days the maturity was perceived to be earlier than now. Look at marriage customs etc. It was also related to relatively shorter life expectancy in society. People living 50+ were rather rare... (look even at late 19th century, when retirement plans were implemented in countries like Germany (Prussia) - they assumed that a tiny fraction of society will be living long enough to actually get the benefits of the "old age (60-65+)". These benefits, are now obtainable by much larger fraction of society, leading often to an increasing public debt in many countries and social discontent when the bar of being eligible for the benefits is being moved higher)

As for the future, I'd say the with longer lifespan, new medicine, etc. we will be displaying "immature" behavior for longer periods of time, but in no way that implies that the "maturity" won't be displayed still in 16-17yrs old. It will be even more rare than it is today. People at this age can already start to work, raise families, handle weapons, etc. It's only the experience they may lack, but the age has nothing to do with experience. As example, who is more experienced - a 18yr old who is living on his own for 2 years already or 28yr old eternal student, who lives off his parents and never touched any kind of job?

As for sci-fi, well how many alien species do you know and how well do you know their cultural and psychological background?

Shadenuat

Shadenuat

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 900 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

In combat heavy game it would make sense for everyone to be in their prime, so 12 years olds with buster swords are out, even if that one is actually a squire who started sword training when he was 5.

Also concider mature themes and such, even in Game of Thrones series they hired 22 years old actress to play 14 years old Meera Reed, you know (even if what she only does is hunts frogs).

Edited by Shadenuat, 30 January 2013 - 06:02 AM.

• smithereen likes this

moridin84

moridin84

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 266 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

There are plenty of examples in games, books,  shows, movies and even real life where teenagers are involved in "save the world" type stories. In many cases they are heavily involved in the "action" or "combat" aspects too. 

I understand people might not like teenager characters but claiming that they don't "fit" into a game like P.E is crazy. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Characters, Companions, NPC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users