Characters from games that you HATE and don't whanna see in PE (or even be inspired)

Hi

Im curius about wat type of characters you hate in games (we have alredy love ones)

And here goes one that i simply hated Elanee (she was simply the worst character in this game)

848972-06elanee5zw_large.jpg

She was damp boring and over moralised

And here goes another well done character

Cassavir

36-lpnwn2_ch022_033.jpg

He is also boring like rotting wood nut he at least has excuse his fanatic paladin

Edited by Ulquiorra

Hey, there's this thing called the English language...

In regards to the topic...Hopefully little to no inspiration from most JRPG characters...Yeah, there's kind of too many to list.

• Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I disagree about Jolee Bondo. He was an interesting, well written, and pretty laid back mutha f**ka.

• Like 1

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I was wondering what a teenager like Mission Vao was doing on an epic quest to end a trans-galactic war.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I grew to hate Carth Onasi. He was well written, had a good voice actor, etc. however, I really hate Him after a play through or 2. Tired of hearing him whine and complain, and if you are evil it is unbearable. Don't get me wrong, I want companions to voice their opinions, but Carth being the guy you get out of the gate and whom you are kind of stuck with for a large chunk of game irritated me. The first companion needs to be slightly less weighted toward good or evil IMHO.

Otherwise, I can see some of the issues with other companions mentioned above.

• Like 3

I played Chaotic Evil character in NWN 2 when i discoverd secret ending with king of shadows all good guys started to be my enemys but minutes later i was "LEADER" ... i wonder how stupid and ignorant they where thinking that chaotic evil character that shows his tru nature every 5 second will in the end be the most heroic one ....

I generaly think that NWN 2 character was bad written ... only Ammon Jerro and in some ways Bishop ... i simply can't uderstand how those ceep fallowing me ... khelgar whanted only to become monk so why he stayed ? Elanne was waird stalker so i was not suprised ... but any other alse (also Sand, Neshka, grobnar) was bad written ...

Alistair and Kaiden whined liked bitches.

Well yeah, but they kind of were bitches, so at least it fit their character.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

So in conclusion people don't like characters who tell them what to do...  

I actually didn't dislike any of those, though the closest would probably be Casavir and Elanee because they felt like they needed a bit more interaction to get to them, I never really felt like they were really interaction with me so much as talking at me.  But that could be fixed with a bit of work.

I think the trick to characters that moralise at you is to have some way of giving weight to their criticism of you rather than just it coming off as nagging, perhaps actively stepping in to oppose you at early points in the game rather than arguing against you for ages about not killing some puppies, then, when you do kill the puppies just grumble about it.  A character who cares about those puppies would put themselves between you and them until you either backed down or fought.  Maybe not to the death, maybe they yield at a certain point and leave, but they shouldnt just grumble at your moralising.

I liked Bindo, he was worth it for the "jedi prophecy" story alone.

• Like 3

Alexjh

I don't mean that i don't like moraliseing characters. For example i liked them when i play good guy. I liked Shandra Jerro in NWN2 and she also moralise and even argu with character .. but in my opinion she puts something to the table on writhing/ talking / motivaton part ...

Elanee is simply "I whanna help" but she don't tells why (exept the SHADOW of the swaps) end at the end she tells "I was looking at you when you don't notice .. i like just looking at you when you don't know about it" sorry .. but this is creapy ... she is boring ..

Casavir is simply boring and i understand that he is moralise character but i don't understan why is he so shallow ... he tells he has his problems but i simply don't but that ...

Shandra is only in 2 ACT of NWN2 but makes more impresion on me then Elanne from 1 act to 3 act ...

Sand also is a gut that "Knows everything" but he also is damn inteligent the only three issu i have for him is

1. "Why he stay with me" when quest relatied with him ended

2. Why he has small number of party interaction comaparing to others

3. And why at the end is simple HIM or Quara ? (becouse of childish argu)

And i think that Bishop is simply to evil in some situations ... it just "Hey if anyone asks me for help i will kill him for fun yeah"

To much stupid and reclless Evils that whant to kill for fun and boring, stubern, moralise "Knowing everything better" characters ..

Even Wynne from DA orgins is better she moralise but when she discovers that she was wrong she sorry ...

I'm not fond of generic mumzy or housewifey kinds, like the Human Noble's mother Eleanor in Dragon Age: Origins ("T'was the gentler arts that landed me a husband," even though she used to be an amazing fighter, indeed) and especially Hawke's mother Leandra Amell from Dragon Age 2. ("My children deserve to be among nobility!" Well, you should have thought of that before you abandoned your noble lifestyle to marry a vagabond apostate and only returned decades later to call on said wealth when your new life wasn't working for you, shouldn't you?)

I get that not every player is not going to like every character. I understand that the developers are working hard to make sure every companion is optional so we don't have to be around characters we don't like, so I'm not worried about companions... but for crying out loud, if we get saddled with some useless, simpering, whining, nagging, fussing, self-entitled little housewifey-poo who can't function without her husband or a mumzy that has no life outside of her children, my character will seriously attempt (if not commit) matricide. 

I don't know if our characters are going to have parents in the game, but if we do, I implore the creators of Project Eternity to please not give us generic mumzy types like Eleanor from DA:O or Leandra from DA2. I'd prefer a baddass like Adaia, I'll take an abusive drunk like Kala, I'll accept an emotionally distant and neglectful foster father like Daeghun, and I'll even take the cliche dead or missing parents; but for crying out loud, please not the mumzy type! D:

• Like 1

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

Casavir and Elanee always seemed kind of bland to me, I kind of agree. Well... No, bland is the wrong word - They weren't entirely bland just maybe kind of... Meek?

Look at Bishop in comparison, he was so forward with his philosophy, so up in arms when you were protecting the weak. I didn't like him, personally, but his philosophy made a twisted kind of sense to me and him constantly berating my abilities was hard to ignore. He was constantly mocking me and I eventually got baited into proving that I was stronger than he thought I was. His opinions influenced how I began to behave. That only happened because Bishop was such a loud mouthed little git, he was so ready for a fight and so quick to mock me that it was just impossible to ignore his challenge.

Every single character eventually got in your face and challenged you on something eventually. Casavir and Elanee never did this, the only thing Casavir and Elanee did was show disapproval at your actions - They never really challenged you, they never shoved their righteous thinking in your face and they never shouted so loud that your eardrums ruptured.

For me, personally, Casavir and Elanee weren't bland. They were just overshadowed by much more powerful characters.

It takes a lot for me to look at a character and find utterly no redeeming qualities, the only time this has really happened is with Alistair in Dragon Age Origins - I kept looking to see what his character was and I just found... Nothing. Just one liners and terrible ones at that. He was kind and caring in that idealistic "everything will be fine" kind of a way - The romantic naivety that everything will be fine assuming you strive to be a good person. It was really kind of.... I dunno. I don't have a word. There was just nothing that seemed to balance the shallow ideals that Alistair had, it was disappointing.

I really.. I just didn't connect with Alistair at all.

Edited by Sylvanpyxie

Characters from specific properties I wouldn't really care to see someone similar to in Project: Eternity:

Baldur's Gate: Aerie, Anomen, (though I've never really had Anomen in my party - I think I've always butchered him the second I see him in the Copper Cornet)

Planescape: Torment: Psh, yeah right.

Neverwinter Nights 2: Elanee, Qara, Shandra, Gannayev
Dragon Age: Origins: Everyone except Shale...Wynne was alright, too, I guess. What an annoying cast of characters. Too bad you can't just murder people like you can in Baldur's Gate...pretty much everyone would be dead.

Mass Effect: Ashley, Kaidan, Jacob, Miranda, Vega, (i.e. humans)

Zelda: Navi :D

...Actually, scratch that last one. Ever since I played Skyward Sword, Navi has seemed pretty cool in comparison to...well, you know.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Please never give me another cut-and-paste dwarf companion who swills ale, has a beard, loves fighting, uses an axe or warhammer, hates elves, speaks in a Scottish accent and so forth. Not even if he wants to be a monk and beat people up with his fists.

• Like 13

Please never give me another cut-and-paste dwarf companion who swills ale, has a beard, loves fighting, uses an axe or warhammer, hates elves, speaks in a Scottish accent and so forth. Not even if he wants to be a monk and beat people up with his fists.

You mad, I loved Khelgar... Personally I strongly disagree people who dislike tropes like this... It's because of the racial concepts that games and characters are believable and how they operate within racial tropes makes them cool (if well written)

I do not understand the tendency to dislike the "traditional" representation of certain races. I hated this to no end in NWN Persistent Worlds that everyone and their mother and grandmother and the whole family avoided racial "traditions" and 8/10 players wanted to create social outcasts of that race dealing with some of personal trauma of theirs... which led to players RPing racial concepts more of abnormality than a norm...

Sure, once in a while an Outcast can be interesting, but not when it seems like world does not give a damn about their abnormality...

I'd rather have companions be representatives of their races and classes, which would make interactions with a player's character more believable.... Say you are a dwarf, and you have a dwarven companion... You do or say something that's way off the cultural scope of the race and your companion tries to set you straight with a snarky comment or you lose "influence" with him/her. Only your PC should be very unique. Companions should be more in attuned to their class and racial backgrounds, but with some own agenda and interesting backstory.

To be honest I do not have a companion that I would hate, I simply prefer some over the others based on characters I play. If I was to show one, I would probably choose Anders from DA2 - most annoying from my point of view.

From non-companion characters there is one I hate with hellish fire... The ME3 space-god mode-brat... The next on the line is Space Ninja Kai Leng (yup ME3 delivered on the characters I hate)

Edited by Darkpriest
  • Like 4

I am with the OP on Casivir and Elanee. They were horrible characters: boringly dry, self-righteous and generally unlikable. The "self-righteous" part I would have been okay with, but neither character ever developed in a way that made it even remotely interesting.

Miranda in ME2 was vapid and silly.

Drunken and/or Scottish-derivative dwarves as a genre staple need to be ... un-stapled. This includes Oghren, even though I liked the overall portrayal of dwarves in Dragon Age relative to, say, your typical D&D fare.

Still, I'm hesitant to just sweepingly say, "No characters like X." As noted above, negative personality traits and so-called vices can still result in great characters. I don't mind being annoyed or pissed off, so long as the reason is a believable, relevant aspect of that character (e.g. Sten being a jerk), as opposed to something I merely regard as poor design or execution (e.g. Neeska's dialogue -- dear gods, please strike her down).

Beyond that, I suppose I'm not a big fan of tropes when it feels like they're just filling in the blanks.

• Like 2

"Dark sorcery. I just performed a ritual involving a dead roach and a ball of dust I found in the corner, and some sounds I made up that I decided were words from a dead primordial language. If all went according to plan, you should be my thrall."

I write speculative fiction.

I think some of these things are a bit... catchall... to actually make a categorical thing of.  Things like the "no drunken dwarves" or the "mumsy" things, are you saying specifically you just don't want any drunken dwarves or mumsy mums in the entire game, or just not in the party/in close proximity to the players.  If thats the case then that's fine, but otherwise those are things which actually exist, (drunken people and Mums that is, not dwarves) so saying there shouldn't be any is even more artificial than making all Dwarves drunken and all Mums "mumsy".  In the case of Oghren say, in terms of tropes I don't think he was drunken because he was a dwarf so much as drunken because he was drowning his sorrows, which is a fairly common starting point to pick up companions from, as it enables the player to "rescue" their companions as a character arc.  See also: the Paladin from Mysteries of Westgate.

I think the thing is that if you are going to have a character which plays to expectations, make sure that they don't do so fully, and in some cases actively be the opposite of expected.

Perhaps the character that I've hated the most in all CRPGs is in fact in NWN2 (which I adore, perhaps fitting, hey? :p ):

Zhjaeve - a name hard to spell and a character that starts every sentence with "Know that...". She got me juices going, the wrong, toxic ones. I became like Agatha Christie-villains, plotting her death in clever and subtle ways.

And yes, Khelgar is untouchable, Scottish accent or no! :blush:

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I think some of the NWN2 characters were quite bland. Which would not necessarily be terrible (well, some just lack... depth or the means to explore it in-game) but there are a few things that just take them to really annoying places. Most notably that you have to accept them into your party. I could like Bishop for my chaotic evil characters. But the fact that the game forces you to take on this obviously evil character (with an obvious twist) just makes me rage. Secondly, the voice direction for a lot of the characters to have been "push it to 110%". Most of the actors are alright (Elanee was pretty bad though) but it's just too much... Grobnar is a good example, Bishop with his overdone evil persona another.

Carth Onasi is the worst "whiny" character I can think of. Why would I want this guy along?

• Like 1

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The arbitrary skeptic. Think the Turian councillor from ME, who dismisses pretty much every claim you make because it fails to fit his worldview.

If we're going to be in a game where souls, gods, dwarves, elves, ancient curses, etc. are all real, I don't want to deal with some idiot who doesn't want to believe this slightly-more-extraordinary thing is possible.

Edited by TSBasilisk