RANDOM VIDEA GAME NEWS!

Rosbjerg

EA has been burning a lot of bridges with me over the past 2 years or so.

i'm actually at the point now where i flat out refuse to pay full price for any EA games for the next 2 years, to make up for paying full price for a handful of highly hyped, highly dissappointing games released in 2011 and 2012...

i have only 5 game purchases in the past 2 years that i really regret making, 4 of them were EA products

I didn't bought / played any EA game since a few years and it didn't hurt me at all. Sadly, it most likely didn't hurt EA as well...

I am still waiting for a PC port of Red Dead Redemption, though I know it will likely never see the light of day for the same reasons, unfortunately.

I got myself a cheap ps3 for that last year. Was totally worth it, imo. Now I was not only able to play Red Dead Redemption, but also the remaining Metal Gear Solid games, which I hadn't played yet. Also I will be able to play the next one, which is great news. :> Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I had the same thought about MGS quite a while back, but then I noticed, that I like MGS3 actually a lot more than MGS2. Since then I find it interesting again. The only thing that is annoying me are the long cutscenes and the short game if you skip all the cutscenes / codec calls.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I am still waiting for a PC port of Red Dead Redemption, though I know it will likely never see the light of day for the same reasons, unfortunately.

On the plus side, there's no shortage of PC games coming out.

Alan that has been my single biggest disappointment in gaming, the fact that Red Dead never made it to PC.

What do you mean when you said its not financially viable for Rockstar to port the game to PC?

At the moment I refuse to buy a console so my policy is I don't support any game unless its on the PC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

RDR's code is meant to be in a shambles, and would take significant reorganising/ rewriting to work on PC. Rockstar have had a pretty good recent record with PC ports even if they're sometimes delayed, I'd tend to believe they'd do a port if it's viable.

Have to say expecting lots of extra bells and whistles on PC for any multiplatform game is just a wee bit entitled, given that there's a prevalent attitude of "[anything even slightly negative] so will buy when it hits $5", better cost $10 less than the console version etc. PC Gaming Master Race vs unwashed consoler plebean masses doesn't exist for companies, they'll sell to who's convenient and will pay.

Whole issue did give me a bit of a giggle with RPS's periodic search for extra page views by slagging off EA and the typical pavlovian barking. OMG Simcity can ban you for not reporting bugs! when any digital vendor can ban you for whatever reason they want whenever they want and they all have that written into their TOS. Ho hum.

• Like 1

Have to say expecting lots of extra bells and whistles on PC for any multiplatform game is just a wee bit entitled, given that there's a prevalent attitude of "[anything even slightly negative] so will buy when it hits $5", better cost $10 less than the console version etc. PC Gaming Master Race vs unwashed consoler plebean masses doesn't exist for companies, they'll sell to who's convenient and will pay.

The problem are not extra extra "bells and whistles" but features that should come as an absolute standard.

If you refuse to put in a basic FoV setting so that player don't get physically sick while playing your game then you deserve to be called out on it.

RDR's code is meant to be in a shambles, and would take significant reorganising/ rewriting to work on PC. Rockstar have had a pretty good recent record with PC ports even if they're sometimes delayed, I'd tend to believe they'd do a port if it's viable.

Whole issue did give me a bit of a giggle with RPS's periodic search for extra page views by slagging off EA and the typical pavlovian barking. OMG Simcity can ban you for not reporting bugs! when any digital vendor can ban you for whatever reason they want whenever they want and they all have that written into their TOS. Ho hum.

The engine architecture is likely so horrifically bad that to actually get it running on enough PC configurations to make it a viable product means it's totally not worth it.

Rockstar North are the only Rockstar studio I am aware of that's done PC ports consistantly, but then again those guys are pretty much an elitist clique unto themselves, RDR wasn't made by Rockstar North, hence no shock.

Porting, BTW, isn't as simple as people seem to think.

• Like 1

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Okay interesting, thanks for the update.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Heh, it took me a second to put the two different games together.  That is a pretty odd coincidence.   

that art also looks a lot like Troika's The Temple of Elemental Evil box...

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Alan that has been my single biggest disappointment in gaming, the fact that Red Dead never made it to PC.

What do you mean when you said its not financially viable for Rockstar to port the game to PC?

At the moment I refuse to buy a console so my policy is I don't support any game unless its on the PC

Whether or not it's actually true, that's part of the motivation.  I don't know the full details as to why, but it's something I heard directly from someone that worked for Rockstar..

Sucks, but c'est la vie.  Devs are free to do what they want, however.

Edit: Seems like other people have some better explanations as to the why.

Edited by alanschu

Whether or not it's actually true, that's part of the motivation.  I don't know the full details as to why, but it's something I heard directly from someone that worked for Rockstar..

Sucks, but c'est la vie.  Devs are free to do what they want, however.

Edit: Seems like other people have some better explanations as to the why.

Alan, I have an idea. You and I should boycott any future Rockstar games until they release RDR on PC. When Rockstar realizes that people like you and I are making a stand on principle they should move quickly to port RDR to PC. What do you think?

John Milton 

The problem is when all the games are already downscaled using their video options to work on consoles. Adding these features to a PC version is childs play for a studio. Hell, Dark Souls port was terrible, but the high-res textures took about a day to unlock by modders. They were already in the files. All the games are made in high-res, then downscaled. It's not really any effort to add a video option to make use of the stuff already in the files.

My thoughts on how character powers and urgency could be implemented:

http://forums.obsidi...nse-of-urgency/

It's not entitled, they're a company making products. If they don't want to support PC properly, and do lazy ports, of course I'm not going to pay full price for it, especially since I can buy better games that are made for PC. Since when is choosing to not buy an inferior product entitlement? Some of the **** being pulled looks more like contempt than laziness or incompetence, textures, key remapping, and FOV specifically.

Some of it I suspect is due to the ingrained belief that a PC port will flop, either due to disinterest or piracy. According to some developers we are both thieves and have incredibly obtuse tastes... which doesn't stop us from wanting to steal their not-obtuse games. As such, they invest enough resources for a port, but not enough that it would represent a major loss in the event of a flop.

Of course, it's a vicious cycle. PC gamers don't buy a ****ty port because it's ****ty, so the developer claims they can't make money off PC ports, so they don't make them at all.

ANYWAY, VIDEA GAME NEWS!

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3932876/research-playing-first-person-shooters-improves-learning-abilities-cognitive-function

So apparently there is now scientific proof that Portal and Quantum Conundrum are good for you!

Edited by TSBasilisk

It's not entitled, they're a company making products. If they don't want to support PC properly, and do lazy ports, of course I'm not going to pay full price for it..

You aren't going to pay full price for it because you feel entitled to a better experience than the console users? Bro', that is most indubitably entitlement. Nothing in particular wrong with that, buy what you want and what you feel is worth it is always the rule, just as they'll add the features they think are worth it. But it's not like they're hiding what they're doing, everyone will be able to make an informed choice which is better than something like the Bioshocks, where the advanced PC features included chopping the edges off the screen if using the wrong resolutions while insisting everything was tickety-boo. Dead Space 2 barely made it to PC, we're an utterly peripheral market.

Rockstar North are the only Rockstar studio I am aware of that's done PC ports consistantly, but then again those guys are pretty much an elitist clique unto themselves, RDR wasn't made by Rockstar North, hence no shock.

There is LA Noire and MP3, even Bully going back a bit further and iirc none of them were R* North. Not really disputing anything though, there were issues with the quality of the porting in 2/3 of those which would not speak well for the prospects of an RDR port even were the code in better shape.

VIDEA GAME NEWS!!!

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/01/30/microsoft-surface-pro-storage/

Microsoft, you garnered so much interest with your PC tablet idea... then this... two-thirds of the drive for an OS? $900 for one version, even without the keyboard?

If you want to gripe about ports, make a separate thread please? This argument has been going for more than a page, and the thread is about new things.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/30/3933344/ride-to-hell-still-in-development

So apparently Ride to Hell may not be dead, but may need the punny name "Ride to Development Hell". Not quite sure what to think of the Dead Island people apparently making the next Saint's Row...

Edited by TSBasilisk

You aren't going to pay full price for it because you feel entitled to a better experience than the console users? Bro', that is most indubitably entitlement. Nothing in particular wrong with that, buy what you want and what you feel is worth it is always the rule, just as they'll add the features they think are worth it. But it's not like they're hiding what they're doing, everyone will be able to make an informed choice which is better than something like the Bioshocks, where the advanced PC features included chopping the edges off the screen if using the wrong resolutions while insisting everything was tickety-boo. Dead Space 2 barely made it to PC, we're an utterly peripheral market.

It's inherently a better experience if they do their jobs properly and with pride, instead of sloppiness, incompetence, and laziness. It's not like I'm asking for something beyond the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions in terms of work, they work hard to target those different platforms, design around the different interfaces, I expect to see the same level of care in the PC version. They've decided that they're going to plan and design their games around two consoles, and I've decided to consume other products.

We're focusing on a small segment of gaming here anyway, they're titles that could have been console exclusives in the past. PC gaming is bigger than console gaming, PC gaming in revenue has consistently rivalled consoles in terms of traditional sales of games (retail and digital), but with MMO and Free-to-Play PC gaming is the biggest player in "core" gaming, and has the biggest install base if you just count the amount of computers with discrete DirectX 10+ graphics.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

New PC Game announced: Neverwinter.

From a Febuary article in PC Gamer that caught my eye as I passed a magazine rack.

Its a MMORPG thats being put out by the company Cryptic ( who did Champions Online and Star Trek Online).

The game is essentially a form of Neverwinter Nights 3 continuation of the Bioware game line. The bad news, in my opinion, is that the company plans on using version 4 DnD rules...and not the generally preffered unofficial (v3.75?) Pathfinder rules that sentimental gamers are fond of.

This means I won't buy it. Anyways, since I didn't see any posts about this news during a quick forum search, I thought I'd give you guys here the heads up. Maybe this forum can spam enough objections about the version choice outloud...so that Cryptic will dump the v4 idea, and go with Pathfinder instead.

Edited by Ross_Witchen

The Neverwinter mmo was announced ages ago. It could be fun, I'm hoping it will recapture the same kind of feeling that D&D: Stormreach did.

Here's some gameplay from August 2012

They will not drop 4e though, look how much work they've already done. I doubt 4e and 3.5e will make much difference anyway, it's still going to play like an MMO not a table-top game.

Edited by Serrano