do u remember ur first pnp game?

redneckdevil

My first game was a game of Rifts, which like all Palladium Books systems was more complicated than it needed to be (but not so complicated it put 9 year old me off being mesmerized by it), and I played with a bunch of older kids, most of whom I knew already outside of the GM and I think maybe one of the players. I remember that the book I spied on a friend's coffee table was the Atlantis world book, and I decided while I was reading it to make a True Atlantean all focused on Atlantean tattoo magic, and the friend whose house I'd been reading it at decided to make a dragon to play. I can't remember everyone else's characters (somebody was some kind of guns blazing mercenary, I think possibly a Juicer? might have been a Juicer + the merc and I'm blending them in my memory of that session) and anyway I just remember my character making the dragon angry by pestering the merc so he did a Monty Python bit and turned into a rabbit and mauled me to death with draconic might. 

So, naturally, I kept going back to that GM's house over and over again, making new characters for new games, utterly addicted to the experience of getting absolutely ruined by GM and player threats alike lmao

I moved on from there to all kinds of other systems, starting with 2nd ed D&D (Planescape was my first taste of D&D, a few years before Torment came out) to old World of Darkness stuff onwards to later iterations of those systems and many others besides (current fave is Eclipse Phase), but I still hold a nostalgia in my heart for a lot of the different Palladium Books settings (their Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles system of Bio-E points to make your own custom mutant animal had me churning out character after character after character back in the day). 

• 1 month later...

Gads.  It was summer of 1980.  It was a mishmash of Basic and AD&D because we were pre-teens and played kinda fast 'n' loose with those pesky rules.  I don't even remember what kind of character I generated, but we used those cut-out chits instead of dice, and we played B2 (Keep on the Borderlands).  We didn't so much have a DM as we laid out the map, traced paths to rooms (oddly, traps weren't really a problem), and drew chits to kill things.  It really wasn't proper gaming as I know it now, but that's where it all started.

"I need a lie-down" is the new "I'll be in my bunk..."

• 2 weeks later...

4 years old; D&D.  They bent the rules so I could play a goblin [halfling].  I recall hitting something [worth XP/gold] with a thrown dagger, while standing in a tree.

Edited by Gizmo
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My first session was last month, 5th edition D&D. I was just visiting a friend and they were in the middle of playing one of the starter campaings and convinced me to roll a character and join in. I've been playing BG, IWD etc. for a long time so I was pretty used to all the rolling and stuff, heck I might even be the most experienced of the bunch when it comes to D&D. Didn't take me long to get used to it, it was fun 9 hour session, and bunch of other sessions after that.

Playing shapeshifting gnome druid who has a past as a construction worker of some sort, which has led to some amusing RP moments. Our DM is a first timer as well but damn good at it. I like the gact he's pulling some rules out of his arse on the fly to make things faster and more interesting/challenging. Following the rules too blindly wouldn't be half as fun. We actually finished the campaing last night.

Overall it's...Good fun!

• 1 month later...

My first game we started playing about 1980 or so, first module was Keep on the Borderlands. I remember DM'ing it, and being so overwelmed with the coolness of D&D as a kid i would spend time just making up maps and such of the actual Keep, buildings, rooms, encounters, and get really into it lol. Just the artwork on the cover of the module sucked me into the D&D world instantly. 

Trying to remember modules i really liked. Earthshaker of course, a huge super giant robot construct? Yes please. The Drow and Giant module series of course, awesome. My favorite one was the Castle Amber, my group really went all out on that one and had some major fun. In the end I think one of the party was stoned, so we had to abandon him because there are major foes in different areas that we had to fight, and the last 2 party members split up, one had to fight a giant zombie attacking a castle and the other a wizard had to fight an alien in a tower or something. We triumphed in the end but it was like a grueling football game that we only won due to lucky dice rolls and abandoning all hope of actually winning. lol. 

First RPG I owned was Dungeons and Dragons. I had a pale blue monochrome colored (not dark blue) book that predated the red box/red covered basic edition. The first one I played with people may have been Gamma World, though. Either that or Dungeons and Dragons. First game I played with others would have been 1980 or 1981 if I remember right.

I've played a lot of RPGs over the years. I played Paranoia with a group for a while, Dungeons and Dragons, home brew games with friends, some sort of vampire game, and many others. The vampire game was short lived and I personally boycott all vampire centric things now, be they shows, movies, games, books, or people. Vampires as part of a larger campaign are still okay. for now.

If only there were time and everyone lived closer together, I'd still play regularly, but no time.

As a bear in winter, so must I too hibernate soon.