besides the drm steam uses which tbh im not really against, his company has made alot of respectable decisions in games and practices. I actually got my fingers crossed their "console" actually does well.

Microsoft looks after and supports xbox, nintendo looks after and protects Wii and gameboys, Sony looks after and protects PS users. Who do PC users have? Gabe the closest I can think of. Say what we will about steam but me kn my area, I wouldnt have anywhere near the games I have on my harddrive or library if its wasnt for steam and gog catalog s.

Edited by redneckdevil

Ubisoft DRM was beyond sh!tty before September 2012, most of my gameplays were ruined (Prince of persia and Heroes 6) but they really dropped it big time. Most of the people havent noticed/heard about this i think.

Yeah I spend a weekend in an Anno 2070 - UPlay flamewar.

People keep flaming about UPlay without having noticed what changes UBI did do.

The scary thing is, turns out that in the flamewar people "proved" that the old DRM still exists because the DRM wasn't removed from their retail disc. They had to install and patch the game and only then would the DRM through a patch be removed... try to explain to internet trolls that Ubisoft is not the toothfairy. When you have DRM on an old game, you do not put the disc under your pillow at night and when you wake up there is a disc without DRM...

Sometimes I wonder why we still come to the internet ;)

• Like 2

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Ubisoft DRM was beyond sh!tty before September 2012, most of my gameplays were ruined (Prince of persia and Heroes 6) but they really dropped it big time. Most of the people havent noticed/heard about this i think.

Yeah I spend a weekend in an Anno 2070 - UPlay flamewar.

People keep flaming about UPlay without having noticed what changes UBI did do.

The scary thing is, turns out that in the flamewar people "proved" that the old DRM still exists because the DRM wasn't removed from their retail disc. They had to install and patch the game and only then would the DRM through a patch be removed... try to explain to internet trolls that Ubisoft is not the toothfairy. When you have DRM on an old game, you do not put the disc under your pillow at night and when you wake up there is a disc without DRM...

Sometimes I wonder why we still come to the internet ;)

Heh i remember that one too. People on the net commonly love complain for the sake of complaining. Battling against these kind is nearly useless and you just frustrate yourself.

Its been like this for a while and im trying to stay away that kind of "debates". Just letting the trolls starve.

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

I am really looking forward to this game. I also like Steam. Steam is a good service that should appease the publishers for proof of legal purchase. I am not looking forward to U-Play though.....maybe I will skip this game. Please Obsidian talk sense into Ubisoft. If this game is bought on Steam ....no u-play ok? 

I also like Steam. Steam is a good service... 

R00fles! At best it's an 'ok' DRM system, at worse a horrible subscription system that is overrated by most of its users. Oh wait, that's one in the same - it's both DRM and a subscription system! What's there to like again? Oh, the sales. Those are ok... And really the only reason one would use it aside from the games that require it. 

• Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

They surely did a good job turning a quite intrusive and obnoxious DRM system into something that is perceived as useful, and is even defended by players. Maybe it's an age issue - people too young to realize that a) games actually can work differently, b) games could once be bought from other sources, c) games can be organized independent of such a corporate tool, d) chats and social networks actually work outside this little corporate wet dream universe, and e) what using such a system actually means. It means submitting your money, your data, your possessions, your communication, your relations, information about you, your hard- and software, the organization of your software (and possibly more I that doesn't come to mind currently) under the government of one corporation. Depending on which of Steam's options one actually uses of course.

Aaanyway, long rant short: One time online activation has become tolerable to me (as long as there are hackers who'll manage to keep games playable after relevant servers are offline) - anything more is and stays a no-go.

Edited by samm
  • Like 3

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I also like Steam. Steam is a good service...

R00fles! At best it's an 'ok' DRM system, at worse a horrible subscription system that is overrated by most of its users. Oh wait, that's one in the same - it's both DRM and a subscription system! What's there to like again? Oh, the sales. Those are ok... And really the only reason one would use it aside from the games that require it.
Some people like the saved game backup services (I wish I had that when I lost my NWN 2 progress), others might like voice chat or just the convenience of managing their digital libraries with one login and one-click installation, especially if you're away or buy a new computer without access to your physical media. I hate having to rummage through boxes trying to find installation discs and license codes and having to carefully enter codes for perhaps dozens of games. Others still might not bother with good backup or record-keeping for non-DRM games they've bought through PayPal for instance.

Steam does make it all pretty easy. So yes there is a lot more than just DRM and as you said, sales like 80% off are great too!

Before I sound too much like a Steam salesman I agree I'm inherently opposed to DRM also. Just do agree that. as with films and TV, hackers find a way around it and all it succeeds in doing is inconveniencing legitimate customers.

Edited by SimonM

I am opposed to drm but if it has to be so far steam has the best setup and example for companys to go by. I think the only problem with steam is that u have to be accessed to the internet the very first time installing it, but everything afterwards is golden and pluses imo. Not to mention after u install the game u can set it up for u to chose when u getpatches and can go into offline mode and never have to.access internet again until u need to redownload it or to install a new game.

GOG looks good, but it's mainly for shareware and older titles, not big budget/blockbuster new releases.

There is no shareware in GoG. And maybe you should go check their games again. While they have more older titles, I wouldn't exactly call Witcher 2 for example as "not big budget/blockbuster" game.

I could be wrong here but the reason why GoG doesn't have that many of these new big budget games is that the publishers are not that fond to the idea of selling their games without DRMs.

Edited by Apatia