In recent news, in the latest update, it struck me that "Hey, couldn't you make a concept tile editor fairly easy?"

There's already some assets to use.

A, It could help with creative concepts.
B, It could be fun :D

1. Dungeon from a Dungeon!
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63207-update-39-non-core-classes-cooldowns-attack-resolution-damage-vs-armor-and-a-tileset/?p=1302826

2. Forest from a Dungeon/Which can be transformed into "Tilesets" as well:
http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/63207-update-39-non-core-classes-cooldowns-attack-resolution-damage-vs-armor-and-a-tileset/?p=1302944

I don't think Obsidian should waste any resources on it.

If you've played around with "Legends of Grimrock", with the "Dungeon" tiles in the screenshot you could at the very least create a "Dungeon Maker". I'm already halfway through one right now ;) but "Photoshop" gets clunky in some ways, and I'm feeling "Is there some more effective way to do this, more effortlessly?", which is why I'm asking here.

If you've played around with "Legends of Grimrock", with the "Dungeon" tiles in the screenshot you could at the very least create a "Dungeon Maker". I'm already halfway through one right now ;) but "Photoshop" gets clunky in some ways, and I'm feeling "Is there some more effective way to do this, more effortlessly?", which is why I'm asking here.

If you are working purely off a picture created by someone else using their own art resources and engine then.... no.  Odds are most of the art resources in the game that are interior will be tile based and they will just have various doo dads they "paint" in to give the scene life.  Exterior I anticipate most of the "floor" will be hand made.

Nono, not anything used in the game, but some concept external map maker~

Like the DA:O Character Creator.

EDIT: But not something Obsidian needs to spend any resources or time with, just for fun stuff.

Edited by Osvir

Chances are better than not that those tiles are more than 2D textures. They may be wrapped on actual models.

Also... Be careful about messing around with a company's unfinished IP. They may take offense, and rightfully so, if they start seeing all sorts of renderings built from their artwork when the game itself isn't finished. If something you were to do happened to show up and receive criticism on a gaming news website Obsidian would likely be pretty upset because their work was misrepresented.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Bah... I don't want to be misunderstood so... Stuff you do here is probably taken as enthusiasm. What I meant in the previous post was that I wouldn't go posting stuff like that on facebook, etc.

• Like 1

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I wouldn't know... Permission to what? I was just saying I wouldn't go taking their images, doctoring them up and then putting them on facebook or whatever. If someone were to mistake whatever you did for "official" stuff from Obsidian and then criticize it for whatever reason and create a ruckus on gaming sites, etc. Obsidian might be a little upset.