Trudging Through the Mere - NWN2OC

Luridis

Nope. If you need to rest every 2 seconds, that's a failure on you. You mostc ertainyl don't play that way in pnp, I hope.

Every two or three encounters, not every two or three seconds and I keep the difficulty at "Hard".  I haven't crafted a thing yet and I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of having to do so.  The party of my wizard, Neeshka, Khelgar, and a rotating "NPC du jour" takes a bit of damage, but we soldier on.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

As things stand, I've already lost Elanee and will probably lose most of the rest of the feckless companions as I'm not very interested in dealing with their preposterous personalities.  I wish I liked them more than I do, but they're not my cup of tea.

Elanee is always the first companion I kick out of my crew as soon as I have more companions than spots available.  She's absolutely insufferable.  I hate her so much that I don't ever even bother doing her personal quest because I can't stand her aggressively annoying personality.  She's useful to have around from a purely tactical standpoint because she can heal and she has AoE spells that don't friendly fire, by it's just not worth it to have to put up with her.

She's not as bad with a female PC, but I've kept her around for the same reasons--healing & spell selection.  Honestly, I'm not sure what the writers were thinking when they threw together this passel of weirdos for companions.  :yucky:

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

"Every two or three encounters, not every two or three seconds and I
keep the difficulty at "Hard".  I haven't crafted a thing yet and I'm
not too thrilled at the prospect of having to do so.  The party of my
wizard, Neeshka, Khelgar, and a rotating "NPC du jour" takes a bit of
damage, but we soldier on."

2-3 encounetrs? It should be 1ce  inbetween dungeons. Maybe twice if the dungeon is suepr large. My god. You must waste your spells against 4hp goblins if you need to rest that often.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I'll probably go back and give it a go with the AI completely off at some point. I think the reason kills were taking so long was due to my reluctance to manually run the spell casters or allow them to cast on their own. I shut them off to stop the group from getting fried and just left them firing bows and crossbows most of the time.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I'll probably go back and give it a go with the AI completely off at some point. I think the reason kills were taking so long was due to my reluctance to manually run the spell casters or allow them to cast on their own. I shut them off to stop the group from getting fried and just left them firing bows and crossbows most of the time.

Spells make a huge difference in combat, remember that certain combat spells are not area of effect so there won't be a risk to harming party members. Finally if I am not mistaken you can disable the option where area of effect spells hurt your party.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Spells make a huge difference in combat, remember that certain combat spells are not area of effect so there won't be a risk to harming party members. Finally if I am not mistaken you can disable the option where area of effect spells hurt your party.

I believe one of the (lower) difficulty settings disables friendly fire.  I always play on "Hardcore D&D" so I always have to watch out for friendly fire.

Wise use of spells during and before combat make all the difference in the game.  The difference between a "vanilla" party and one heavily buffed when entering combat is staggering.  For me "Haste" seems to be the most important spell in the game.  Obviously, each encounter can play out very differently, but having a hastened party can be the difference between being thoroughly debilitated by enemy casters and ripping those casters to shreds before they have a chance to do much of anything.  If you can get your melee characters to the casters quick enough, they don't stand a chance.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

2-3 encounetrs? It should be 1ce  inbetween dungeons. Maybe twice if the dungeon is suepr large. My god. You must waste your spells against 4hp goblins if you need to rest that often.

Maybe his character is just super lazy. Did you ever think of that?

I believe one of the (lower) difficulty settings disables friendly fire.  I always play on "Hardcore D&D" so I always have to watch out for friendly fire.

Hee.

For the last seven months, I've been playing a low level DnD campaign with friends. I don't have any single-target spells, and my wizard has burned and blasted the other PCs to 0 HP about a dozen times now.

It's really the best part of playing the wizard.

• Like 1

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

If I were one of your aprty members, I'd 'accidently' hit you with my melee wepaon or my bow when you are low on spells and health. That's the best aprt of being a non wizard. Getting revenge for dumb casters who aren't smart enoguh to target spells properly.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

A wise warrior knows when wizard say 'duck', he not talking about fowls - Gorthfucius

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

A wise warrior knows when wizard say 'duck', he not talking about fowls - Gorthfucius

:grin:

"gorthfucius" , you funny

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

No, not especially.  I'm very reluctant to spend money on better equipment for my party and I dislike having to wander from merchant to merchant to find the best weapon or armor for this or that companion.  I strongly prefer using what we find along the way, thus our arms and ponoplies aren't always the best they could be and the party tends to take a good deal of damage.  Resting works to counter this, as does the profligate use of spells.

• 2 weeks later...

Tried out Dragon Age 2 and got super pissed off by the obviously rushed development and equally blatant console pandering that I looked to Steam and joy of joys, found NWN2 available. Even with the super clunky UI it was enough to keep me warm through a dearth of mechanically involving CRPGs.

“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

Panoplies, not ponoplies. Typo, oops.

Tsuga, your correction made me think of a Honeymooners scene I haven't seen for 20 years.

Edited by Luridis

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.