Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #39: Non-Core Classes, Cooldowns, Attack Resolution, Damage vs. Armor and a Tileset!

project eternity update 39 josh sawyer classes cooldowns combat

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 4963 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Cool update! Thanks for all the interesting details. :)

One issue occurs to me: I'd expect the three weapon types (crush, slash, pierce) to trend from good to bad or from bad to good as the armor ranges from light to heavy. That leaves you with four possibilities for damage against light/medium/heavy armor:

1) bad/bad/good

2) bad/good/good

3) good/good/bad

4) good/bad/bad

Whichever three you choose (for crush, slash, pierce), one (or two) forms of armor are going to be better against more weapon classes than the other form(s) of armor. I.e. it leaves you with a certain lack of symmetry. I guess you could pick 1/2/4 and stack it in favor of light armor, with the counterbalance being that light provides less overall protection.

Edited by rjshae, 22 January 2013 - 07:45 PM.

• Lephys likes this

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm sure they've thought it out a lot more than I have, being the development team and all, but Rangers and their pets sharing both Stamina AND Health seems a bit much.

With the established "dual-health" system, what if they each had their own Stamina, but they shared Health?

Ultimately, damage to one always affects damage to the other, but, at the same time, you don't collapse in battle purely because your animal friend got double-teamed for a few seconds.

Same-stamina just sounds like a LOT of rigorous multi-tasking just to effectively control "one" character.

Cool update! Thanks for all the interesting details. :)

One issue occurs to me: I'd expect the three weapon types (crush, slash, pierce) to trend from good to bad or from bad to good as the armor ranges from light to heavy. That leaves you with four possibilities for damage against light/medium/heavy armor:

1) bad/bad/good
2) bad/good/good
3) good/good/bad
4) good/bad/bad

Whichever three you choose (for crush, slash, pierce), one (or two) forms of armor are going to be better against more weapon classes than the other form(s) of armor. I.e. it leaves you with a certain lack of symmetry. I guess you could pick 1/2/4 and stack it in favor of light armor, with the counterbalance being that light provides less overall protection.

What if you simply had 3 outcomes?

1) bad/meh/good

2) meh/good/bad

3)good/bad/meh

"Bad" could be 50% effectiveness, before you pit the damage against DT, just like they mentioned in the update. Then, "meh" could be 75% effectiveness (or even 70 or something... room for tweaking) before DT, and good would be 100%. OR, you could even do it like... 70%/90%/110%, or 75%/100%/125%. Again, there's room for math tweaking, depending on what works and the specifically desired effect.

Edited by Lephys, 22 January 2013 - 07:53 PM.

• aluminiumtrioxid likes this

GrandeC

GrandeC

(0) Nub

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I like both what I'm hearing and seeing. Thanks guys!

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I like both what I'm hearing and seeing. Thanks guys!

Yeah! I already want to take a party through that dungeon test-section made out of greyscale tileset, 8D!

aelreth

aelreth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer

Sometimes it feels as if taking a look at how a game gets made is much like wandering into the back of a butchers shop. Some things are not meant to be seen!

I understand the models without the art, intellectually, but the child in me is seeing the magic taken away!

Keep up the great work!

ZGM

ZGM

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Zee Gee Emm
  • Kickstarter Backer

What's the lore reason for rangers and their companions having such a close link? Are their souls dependent on each other, or do relationships not affect souls to that degree? Will we see examples of soul bonding (if that is the case) like this outside of rangers and their pets?

Hormalakh

Hormalakh

Lone Locust of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1981 posts

You mentioned the movie Scanners as an inspiration for the ciphers. I'm wondering if any of you have read the book that inspired Scanners: William S. Burrough's novel Naked Lunch. If not, I recommend it. It's not about psychics (except for a chapter about "senders") but it's an interesting read nonetheless!

Edited by Hormalakh, 22 January 2013 - 08:24 PM.

• Rostere likes this

Badmojo

Badmojo

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

One gripe in the video is the resting to use certain skills, we might as well call it mandatory resting since its the only way to heal except from some very rare healing items/abilities.  Honestly I would prefer cooldowns to resting just so we can keep the momentum going.  I suspect this is just an escuse to have some ingame event like having dream visions from gods/souls, or use it to move time forward or something.  Otherwise I cannot see the point of forcing rest on the characters.

These videos are nice, but I would like to learn more about the world and its beings itself, a little lore video would be nice.

C2B

C2B

Lazy Assistant of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 4139 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Loving the beard

Sensuki

Sensuki

Subway Apathist of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 9965 posts
  • Steam:STEAM_0:1:1229809
  • Kickstarter Backer

The Damage / Armor system now sounds a lot like Warcraft 3 vanilla (Normal, Piercing, Siege vs Light, Medium, Heavy armor)

The rule of three is good and has proven to work very well for games like Starcraft. So I'm liking that change.

All of the explained mechanics seem very good, I've got no problems with any of those.

Mm okay. I just hope whatever quickslot/weapon swap functionality will be kinda forgiving; I certainly wouldn't want to see something along the lines of the extreme DDO scenario, but so long as there aren't any/many instances of outright immunity, sounds good to me.

Onward!

In a previous forum post either here or on somethingawful (cannot remember), Josh said there will be an animation (delay) between switching weapons. So think like in Counter-Strike you quickswitch between AWP and deagle and it takes time before you can shoot ... yeah like that.

I would like the Grimoire to at least double as a weapon so you can phonebook people for 1 damage, even if just for the comical factor.

Would a ranger have to have an animal companion? I'm curious as to whether or not the bond with the animal and ranger is so close, that if the animal died, the ranger would die as well. Hopefully it would just entail a hit on the health as opposed to a kill.

I am assuming that if your animal companion gets caught and starts getting hit, shared health and stamina pool means exactly what it says it does. So if you and/or your animal companion are hit for enough stamina or health damage that your combined pool reaches 0, you are knocked out or maimed/dead (both of you).

Oh yeah in the screenshot, I'm not liking the blue circles around companions, I'd prefer if it was more like Baldur's Gate where it's just two shades of green - as I have said in my selection circle thread. BG had the best selection circles. Or if the default is going to be blue, I would like to be able to change them to the legacy colors :)

But yeah WIP.

Edited by Sensuki, 22 January 2013 - 09:38 PM.

• Ieo and Hormalakh like this

DakkonZerth

DakkonZerth

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 10 posts

Love these updates! Thanks for toiling away for us.  I cringe when I hear that system isn't obvious to people.  I say keep it complex.  What I always loved about Fallout 2 was how armor worked.  You knew, just by looking at your character and his various armor upgrades, that he was becoming harder to hurt, BUT, IF you wanted to get really in depth, you had to "decypher" the values in the inventory screen.  I liked that, and I would like Project Eternity to be similar.  I don't need things to be obvious to me.  I'll figure it out.  PS I love the tease at the beggining

Rary the Traitor

Rary the Traitor

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Why are you copying D&D so shamelesly?

Xaquin

Xaquin

(0) Nub

• Initiates
  • 1 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Xaquin
  • Kickstarter Backer

I'm really loving seeing all the bits and pieces going into the game.  This is really cool.  I really hope you make Monk's hand-to-hand actually work.  Previous games (including D&D) made it so...ugh.  The pen-and-paper game of Shadowrun did it right with "Physical Adepts" which were mages that boosted their bodies with magic to make them all into Bruce Lee's.  That's the kind of hand weapon action I want to see from my monk.  If you are going to have a monk that doesn't use hand-to-hand because they suck and can't compare to a simple dagger+1, what's the point?  Might as well have a cleric or a fighter.  Anyway, point being, please invest some thought into the mechanics of a monk that fights hand-to-hand because the visual could be awesome and who doesn't want to play a Bruce Lee type character that takes down dragons with his fists?  Thanks!

• Doppelschwert likes this

Valsuelm

Valsuelm

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I just want to say I got an email with this update in it!

Super awesome that is!

:banana:   :dancing:

Tamerlane

Tamerlane

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1125 posts

You mentioned the movie Scanners as an inspiration for the ciphers. I'm wondering if any of you have read the book that inspired Scanners: William S. Burrough's novel Naked Lunch. If not, I recommend it. It's not about psychics (except for a chapter about "senders") but it's an interesting read nonetheless!

Wait, what? Naked Lunch inspired the David Cronenberg movie "Scanners"? I... uh... I thought it inspired the David Cronenberg movie "Naked Lunch"?

O.DOGG

O.DOGG

Obsidian Order Outcast

• Members
  • 35 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Interesting update, thanks! I find the idea of the ciphers focusing their powers really interesting. Looking forward to the next update.

Ieo

Ieo

White Gazebo of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 1410 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Why are you copying D&D so shamelesly?

http://forums.obsidi...n-tower-studio/

Somna

Somna

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I wonder how many people are going to make a chanter named Dovahkiin now? =X

Falkon Swiftblade

Falkon Swiftblade

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 777 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Nice update Josh! Classes sound interesting, and mechanics sound solid so far. Few things not as impressive though, primarily the scale of the heros seem about 15%-20% too small. I know its a work in progress, but I couldn't distinguish Jack from Jill and there's not much detail to see in the hero model. (I was hoping for a modern day game you guys might have adressed stuff like that.) Are there gonna be any little races? Also the scale of the tile sets seem a bit claustrophobic for a group of six plus monsters in that space. Maybe the encounters are not too many though? I'm kinda worried how the ui or hud will work with that as well because it looks like a single pop up or loot box would be as big as the player and you may lose hierarchy and legibility trying to read. Oh speaking of legibility, can ya guys have a wee bit of negative space in between lines so our eyes don't get too tired from straining to read like some of the old IE games did?

Edited by Falkon Swiftblade, 22 January 2013 - 10:56 PM.

Sacred_Path

Sacred_Path

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1328 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Oh boy, ranger animal companions/ shapeshifting druids/ sprinting barbarians. I hope there are more unique things coming up.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, update 39, josh sawyer, classes, cooldowns, combat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users