Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Update #39: Non-Core Classes, Cooldowns, Attack Resolution, Damage vs. Armor and a Tileset!

project eternity update 39 josh sawyer classes cooldowns combat

• Please log in to reply
266 replies to this topic

zimcub

zimcub

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts
Dont forget that when it comes fast vs slow weapons , the slow ones will have an advantage when it comes to chasing or running away because the swing time will always reset by the time they get close enough to hit. While perhaps its not that big of a deal it might be a good idea to test if it needs some sort of compensation for faster weapons.

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts

They're still... refining the armor system, which is ok.

From an interview published yesterday:

"As an example, Josh has changed the armor system in the game in the last three or four weeks. He’s changed it three times."

Chronology.

They started with armor being raw damage reduction, with piercing weapons having raw armor penetration properties and with blunt weapons having percentage based penetration properties.

Questionable change #1) Adding the 50% AI-annihilation penalty to ceratin weapon vs armor combinations.

Change #2) ??  Removing the questionable change #1 perhaps.

Change #3) ???

• Ieo, JFSOCC and some guy like this

some guy

some guy

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I hope he find an interesting way to get that armor stuff working. I'm still a bit on the edge on how it's been presented so far, but I'm still confident he'll deliver in the end.

Being more in favor of tactical differences than just damage-types I'm hoping for a more situational difference between armor-type based on surroundings. Say, light armor having an edge if you're in an open field with your back free from obstacles but gets you shredded once you're corned by some wall or other people and such. Making heavy-armored targets less prone to getting pushed out from formation would be another. I haven't really looked up all that's been said about combat mechanics, but I take it that since formations have been highlighted as an important factor they have some nifty ideas on how to shape the battlefield without it becoming a constant big pile of a random mess. I like the vision they are going for and it sure is fun watching hissing comments being thrown back and forth. I'm getting my moneys worth!

Valorian

Valorian

(7) Enchanter

• Members
  • 971 posts

Hey, 1 more thingie. :biggrin:

Part of this update is "attack resolution" and defenses [..Deflection (direct melee and ranged attacks), Fortitude (body system attacks like poison and disease), Reflexes (area of effect damage attacks), and Willpower (mental attacks).], so it's probably a suitable thread to post this.

Since generally about 90% of attacks will be grazes or full hits if combatants are similarly skilled, I was wondering about on hit effects such as poison, disease, stun etc.

For example, a spider bites you, then you make a fortitude defense roll and if you fail it, you're poisoned. Now, I'd suggest the fortitude defense roll be made only for a full hit, not after a graze (or with a huge fortitude/willpower/reflex bonus* if it's a graze). I love a variety of on-hit effects for monsters as it makes combat much more exciting and unpredictable, but if a defense check for the effect is triggered on 90% of attacks, it could get out of hand. 

*Or penalty for the attack value of the effect; the d&d term would be DC.

• Lephys likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Dont forget that when it comes fast vs slow weapons , the slow ones will have an advantage when it comes to chasing or running away because the swing time will always reset by the time they get close enough to hit. While perhaps its not that big of a deal it might be a good idea to test if it needs some sort of compensation for faster weapons.

Logically, if you are pursuing, taking an attack should slow you down briefly--allowing the defender to move out of your range. You would then need to catch up again. So it's difficult to see how you can perform consecutive attacks in that instance.

Lephys

Lephys

Punsmith of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 7245 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Logically, if you are pursuing, taking an attack should slow you down briefly--allowing the defender to move out of your range. You would then need to catch up again. So it's difficult to see how you can perform consecutive attacks in that instance.

I just think that's something that's needed balancing in a lot of games. There shouldn't simply be a 3-second cooldown on your ability to otherwise instantly stop, turn about, and effectively swing your weapon at your pursuer. Versus slower opponents? Yes. That kind of tactic isn't ludicrous or nonexistent, but it shouldn't really even be feasible versus another humanoid who's just as fast and skilled as you are. Running, then turning and attacking, then running again should really be a good bit less efficient (between time wasted stopping and turning, then getting moving again, to the ease with which the pursuer will strike you with a blow with oodles of momentum behind it, etc.).

Obviously all that's a bit abstracted in the game, but there's a difference between abstracting a complex group of actions that all require various amounts of time to perform, and simply doing away with the amount of time required to perform any of them.

zimcub

zimcub

(2) Evoker

• Members
  • 70 posts

Soooooo....

Any news on which weapon vs armor system the game will use then?

Edited by zimcub, 02 July 2013 - 02:01 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: project eternity, update 39, josh sawyer, classes, cooldowns, combat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users