Language - How should people talk?

Norman English please, Saxon English grates on my nerves.

• Like 1

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

I liked the lower class-ish way a lot of the NPCs in Planescape Torment mispronounced and shortened words. I dunno if it was done with an accent generator or just written by hand, but it added a lot of personality to the dialogue. 

I would prefer , if they keep rather more modern english, then try to make it sound old timey, let's be honest rarely thouse it improve atmosphere and more often then not it ends up silly. Also if I rememeber corectly, wasn't there supposed to be support for other languages, then english?

I like the idea of P:E's world having a certain sound it. I don't like the idea of attempting old english or any other archaic language/dialect, because, as others have said, it's rarely done well. I would nomally point to P:T as an example of a game creating a dialect and thus a sound for their world, but as beerflavour pointed out, P:T just used a modified dialect spoken in Britian.

Regardless, it worked quite well. Perhaps then answer then is to avoid creating a new dialect and simply use existing ones your target(or local) audience is unlikely to have heard.

I think the dialogue should be similar to how GrrM did it in a Song of Ice and Fire. It's English, but it isn't modern or archaic English. It is its own thing.

"Wizards do not need to be The Dudes Who Can AoE Nuke You and Gish and Take as Many Hits as a Fighter and Make all Skills Irrelevant Because Magic."

-Josh Sawyer

I prefer modern American. Even latin, german whatever accent other then native english. Imbecile low intelligence language anything is fine just want to see it in the game.. The native tribal accent in risen 2 was quite funny.

Edited by Failion

Thought the mid atlantic accents spiced with an old world gravitas were quite well presented in Relics Dawn of War games or the dwarves of Orzammar in Biowares Dragon Age, they inhabited for me that fine line between what is too english and what is too american english. Obviously both carry a vast amount of cultural baggage, and create a dissonance for some.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'd like some archaic words every now and then, but not like Middle English where it just looks contrived. I'd much prefer them to speak in Modern English, it's easier to understand and it doesn't look silly.

You mean words and phrases like: "Frenemies?" ,"Google it" and "Yolo"

Let's keep modern crap out of our game's language please!

I'd like regional dialects with original concepts.

Edited by jivex5k

I want the standard Dwarven accent to be based on German, and elves to be based on swedish/norwegian. Elves and dwarves being based on norse/germanic mythology.

Dwarves are people born of a genetic condition, and dwarfism is a condition which occurs all over. Elves are Germanic in origin, not nordic. Norse and Germanic are two different things. The Germanic tribes who invaded/were invited/decided to stay and take the land of the kings who invited them to Britain were not culturally similar to the Norse/Viking rapers/raiders who later attacked the British isles. The Scandinavians and Danes were not welcomed as cultural brothers to Britain by the Anglo-Saxons.

Edited by AGX-17

Just don't have real world idiomatic use of language which breaks immersion. no "wild goose chase" please.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'm perfectly happy with clean modern english. Modern phrases and slang should steered away from where they don't make sense though.

What I'd really like is for different classes(of society) and regions to have different accents though. I really loved the way the thieves in BG1 spoke, it was great fun for one quest line.

I would prefer if they didn't dumb down your dialogue responses based on intelligence.

yeah, my 3 int Barbarian should totally sound as sophisticated as my 20 int Wizard!

Try playing NWN with a 3 int, then you'll see what I mean. Constantly reading dumbed down conversation text is immersion-breaking and frustrating. It's one of those areas where logic doesn't work.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

I'd like some archaic words every now and then, but not like Middle English where it just looks contrived. I'd much prefer them to speak in Modern English, it's easier to understand and it doesn't look silly.

You mean words and phrases like: "Frenemies?" ,"Google it" and "Yolo"

Let's keep modern crap out of our game's language please!

I'd like regional dialects with original concepts.

As long as there's a region of bros I'll be happy.

If I can understand it and whatever is used/created feels appropriate for the culture being presented, I'm fine. I think I'd rather not read a whole lot of  thee's and thy's, however. Perhaps a few characters where that's part of their idiosyncratic personality or something, but not everyone in the world.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I want the standard Dwarven accent to be based on German, and elves to be based on swedish/norwegian. Elves and dwarves being based on norse/germanic mythology.

Dwarves are people born of a genetic condition, and dwarfism is a condition which occurs all over. Elves are Germanic in origin, not nordic. Norse and Germanic are two different things. The Germanic tribes who invaded/were invited/decided to stay and take the land of the kings who invited them to Britain were not culturally similar to the Norse/Viking rapers/raiders who later attacked the British isles. The Scandinavians and Danes were not welcomed as cultural brothers to Britain by the Anglo-Saxons.

Fantasy dwarves, ie the underground warrior/miner/craftsman dwarves come from germanic mythology, from which norse mythology is derived.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

What Tagaziel said.

If the character speaks in an old-fashioned dialect (e.g. ghosts or liches, or other very very old "people" that didn't bother to mingle with modern society), use middle english, if the character speaks street slang use a medieval cant, not hip-hop speak. Otherwise use "modern english" (maybe british for nobles?)

Ultima used middle-english, yes, but the whole idea was that the protagonist is a human from modern Earth who stranded in that parallel world.

• Like 1

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."

For once I'd like to see an RPG where everyone talks like they are from the Bronx. Just imagine Kung Faux but with Wizards and Warriors. Bards would finally have a real role in a party with the many rap offs that would take place against ancient Liches and Dragons who are verbally well versed.

Check this out for reference on how it would look / sound like.

Edited by Hobo Elf
  • Like 2

For once I'd like to see an RPG where everyone talks like they are from the Bronx. Just imagine Kung Faux but with Wizards and Warriors. Bards would finally have a real role in a party with the many rap offs that would take place against ancient Liches and Dragons who are verbally well versed.

Check this out for reference on how it would look / sound like.

The big conflict should be the dawgs vs the bros.