Ciphers: Inspirations and their mechanics

Mind Harvest [Multi-Tiered Clairsentient Ability]
- Target one creature
- On a failed Will save, the Cipher receives vital information from the target.
- Tier 1: Special Abilities / Talents / Skill ranks
- Tier 2: Combat Strategy [summary of AI/scripting behaviour]
- Tier 3: Spell Pool [Per encounter / Daily]
- Optional: The Cipher gains +2 to all saves vs. spells/abilities from the target for 10 seconds per level.

:ninja:

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Mech Morph [Psychometabolic Ability]
- "For when you absolutely....positively....got to polymorph-into-a-mechanical-fighting-machine and kill every last enemy in the room..."

- Level 5 [Mechanical Warrior]

alien-warrior.jpg

- Level 10 [Mechanical Crab]

9_Crab_beast_by_tzarNIKOLAS.jpg

- Level 15 [Mechanical Mammoth]

1200x684_5614_War_Mammoth_2d_fantasy_soldiers_machine_steampunk_mammoth_tank_picture_image_digital_art.jpg

Not quite to scale, and minus the steampunk addons.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Transmit Impulse: The Cipher sends a psychotic desire to an opponent, a failed willpower save causes the target to immediately and rabidly attack allies in close combat for turns/ seconds equal to the Cipher's level.

Mental Barricade: A strong mental defence with underlying traps that protects against magical mental manipulation and harms enemy Ciphers that attempt to breach it. Persistent effect that takes a set amount of concentration from use in combat. 

Empathy: Detect all thinking creatures within a wide range, unless they possess mental shielding. Higher levels include fragments of the intents/knowledge of these beings. Undetectable scouting ability.

Miraculous combat: engage an enemy in close combat while mind-reading them; bonus to attack, high bonus to defence dodge however unable to activate other abilities while doing so. Higher levels allow for multiple opponents and eliminate flanking, sneak attack bonuses of these enemies. The increase in opponents decreases the dodge modifier but increases damage potential of the Cipher. More targets, less room to move.

Total command: Possess an enemy and do battle in their body, leaving your own helpless. If the possessed enemy is killed before being released there is a mental backlash as the Cypher experiences their fatal wounds. Cypher is temporarily weakened by shock.

• Like 2

Sorry for the double post, I had a few more ideas

Compulsive Curse: Force an unstoppable obsessive compulsion upon an enemy that scales in intensity and effectiveness. It begins by forcing the victim to count their steps, slowing their movement considerably. Then they count their attacks, limiting them to one per weapon every round affected. Higher levels cause the opponent to wander aimlessly following cracks or grass stems or cycle through all creatures present and attack them for a single round.

Ironic punishment: This is a high level Cipher ability; to destroy the enemy's strengths. The primary attributes of the enemy based upon class are lowered by a point per three Cypher levels. This is followed by a lowering of weapon proficiency in warriors, dodge in rogues, concentration in mages, and so on. They then suffer a random status effect ranging from paralysis, slow, self inflicted bleeding wounds, terror and instant death (suicide/heart attack). The process however takes two rounds to implement and is active only as long as the Cypher is immobile and focused on the enemy. To hurt your enemy in the way they fear most? What could be more satisfying?

Talent Thief: The Cipher as an ability is able to temporarily steal the highest weapon skill of the enemies present based upon what the Cypher currently wields. This confers no additional bonuses but will stack with other close combat abilities.

Ranged Cooperation: The Cypher compels an enemy to evade missile weapons in the wrong direction if they fail a will save. This effect for a round causes all shots at the target to be unavoidable. Glancing blows still possible. Higher levels increase the probability of a true hit.

Exotic Bane: A powerful ability that requires a concentration check. When confronting strange creatures the Cypher can as a once per day ability forcefully steal knowledge of the weakness of a specific monster type directly from the beast's mind and share this with allies. This results in attack and damage bonuses. The bonuses last for only a handful of rounds before the creature favours these weak points, nullifying the advantage.    

Multiple minds: (Selectable passive ability) the Cypher through necessity has had to explore their own mind, not everything found in there was wholesome and sane. A secondary personality exists within which while still you is also subtly not. You share one brain and soul in a precarious balance. This does have benefits however... other Cyphers have a more difficult time effecting you as they will often mistake your otherself for the true you. Mental magic and Cypher direct abilities which you fail to successfully roll against provide you with an immediate second saving roll as your alter ego attempts to take the brunt of the attack. If you succeed you suffer reduced damage/escape negative effect.   

• Like 2

^ Well, I rather think they would work quite well in the game, for what it's worth.

Another (primitive) idea I had... what if a sort of specialization (or sub-group of abilities) for Ciphers was as a supportive, positioning person? You know, trick enemy minds into thinking there's a need to group up, or move to specific areas, or run into traps, etc.? Maybe you get them to form a linear formation (because they believe they had a good reason to), and another party member uses some linear, piercing attack that is most effective when enemies are in a line. Etc.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^ Well, I rather think they would work quite well in the game, for what it's worth.

Another (primitive) idea I had... what if a sort of specialization (or sub-group of abilities) for Ciphers was as a supportive, positioning person? You know, trick enemy minds into thinking there's a need to group up, or move to specific areas, or run into traps, etc.? Maybe you get them to form a linear formation (because they believe they had a good reason to), and another party member uses some linear, piercing attack that is most effective when enemies are in a line. Etc.

Trying to bring back the traditional lightning bolt's effectiveness? Heh.

It could be possible. Perhaps a perception distortion or an impulse to indulge in a conga line/millitary drill? Form up!

Something along the lines of an attraction to a point to form a solid group? Then to make them scatter the opposite; a repulsive suggestion.

Can't work on everybody, willpower check perhaps? 

Lines would be harder as they are less organic. It would be a bit over powered. So it would require more effort/cost and be less effective on high level creatures, but I imagine a line of low level beasts would be fun to shred with a single spell/bullet.

A  few new ideas I had were:

Mental duel: In a battle with an enemy Cipher the allied Cipher can elect to attack the opponent in a direct mental clash instead of the elaborate tricks they normally use. This in effect results in a temporary paralysis on both sides as they struggle. Depending on level, willpower, concentration and intellect the clash can result in three outcomes; a draw a win or a loss. In the case of a draw both sides are drained of stamina but unharmed. In the case of the player's win the opponent takes moderate damage and is weakened/dazed for a short period and in the case of a loss vice versa. I imagine this to be a dangerous ploy to be attempted only when facing a higher level group and need the enemy Cipher out of commission for a period or when facing Ciphers substantially weaker than your own and wish to press the advantage.

An extension or perhaps an extra skill learn-able if you possess the multiple minds ability/perk: Double strike. For every effect you cause which targets one enemy you produce two, targeting a second for half the cost of the first; as your alter-ego duplicates your attack. Toggled ability.

Trying to bring back the traditional lightning bolt's effectiveness? Heh.

It could be possible. Perhaps a perception distortion or an impulse to indulge in a conga line/millitary drill? Form up!

Something along the lines of an attraction to a point to form a solid group? Then to make them scatter the opposite; a repulsive suggestion.

Can't work on everybody, willpower check perhaps? 

Lines would be harder as they are less organic. It would be a bit over powered. So it would require more effort/cost and be less effective on high level creatures, but I imagine a line of low level beasts would be fun to shred with a single spell/bullet.

A  few new ideas I had were:

Mental duel: In a battle with an enemy Cipher the allied Cipher can elect to attack the opponent in a direct mental clash instead of the elaborate tricks they normally use. This in effect results in a temporary paralysis on both sides as they struggle. Depending on level, willpower, concentration and intellect the clash can result in three outcomes; a draw a win or a loss. In the case of a draw both sides are drained of stamina but unharmed. In the case of the player's win the opponent takes moderate damage and is weakened/dazed for a short period and in the case of a loss vice versa. I imagine this to be a dangerous ploy to be attempted only when facing a higher level group and need the enemy Cipher out of commission for a period or when facing Ciphers substantially weaker than your own and wish to press the advantage.

An extension or perhaps an extra skill learn-able if you possess the multiple minds ability/perk: Double strike. For every effect you cause which targets one enemy you produce two, targeting a second for half the cost of the first; as your alter-ego duplicates your attack. Toggled ability.

Yes to all the positional abilities critique, and yes to Mental Duel. And I like that you went ahead and halved the cost of the duplicate effects, since I was thinking "wait, that could get a bit out of ha..." before I read that part, haha.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^ Did you see my idea earlier in the thread, about charged abilities? Basically, instead of "casting" an ability and having it gain power the longer you maintain it, I thought it would be interesting if some abilities could be charged BEFORE you cast them.

You couldn't charge them outside of combat. Only inside (otherwise the charge time would be moot). And, you could charge them for varying degrees of time. If you charge one for at least 3 seconds, but less than 6, for example, it would be at tier 1 effectiveness (radius size, number of targets, potency, duration, etc.). More than 6 seconds but less than 9, tier 2. A full 9 seconds (maybe the cutoff?), tier 3.

Once you stop charging the ability, you don't have to instantly use it. But you can only have one such ability charged (to any capacity) at a time. OR, maybe you can only have 3 tiers-worth of charged abilities at a time? I.e. 3 tier 1's, a tier 2 and a tier 1, or a tier 3? *shrug*.

Anywho, I just thought it was an interesting mechanic variance, in line with the "time bolsters the effects" notion for the general Cipher mechanic.

I'm not really sure what the specifics of the abilities would be. I made an example, I think, with a mind control ability or something, earlier in this thread (maybe a page back?).

My thinking was more along the lines of a scalable meta-magic style ability that is set during combat. For example you could increase the chances of an effect/increase the damage of an ability by increasing the activation time or cost manually or under power it to allow you to cast a normally high tier ability next turn at reduced chance to succeed. It allows the character to remain useful through most of combat rather than sit there charging and charging until the ability you want is ready at the level you want. Dragonball style powerups are the most boring part; sitting there screaming for hours versus several half-hearted attacks followed by a really big one. It also adds a tension as you realize that your opponent has been using weak attacks for a while. 

Well, I was thinking of them more as separate mechanics for separate ability types. And I'm not talking about Dragonball-style powerups. Really, in a way, my idea is very similar to yours. It could even be 3 tiers (or however many tiers... 3 is arbitrary) of meta-magic abilities that are set during combat, and they increase some effect at the cost of cast time. That's really all it is.

That's why I was thinking 9 seconds at the maximum. I wouldn't suggest the tiers and such for, say, a Wizard, or any other class. But, for a Cipher, because of how they work, with the gradual build of focus, I just had the simple thought of "What if you could build that focus, with SOME abilities, before you used them?"

Or, look at it this way. Imagine you have a strong, mind-control ability that you're about to use on 5 enemies. But it takes 9 seconds to "cast." So, you start casting, and combat's going on, and BOOM! Something happens that causes you to wish you could do something in LESS than 9 seconds with your Cipher, even though it's not the optimal thing you already commanded your Cipher to do. So, at 4 seconds, you force-cast the ability at a reduced potency, only affecting 3 enemies for a short duration. But, that's just enough to... I dunno, get those 3 guys off your Wizard, or deal with whatever crazy combat factor changed.

Same thing, really. You COULD cast the full ability, for full potency (and the cast time being long BEFORE the ability goes into affect takes care of the building-focus aspect of the Cipher). Or, you could cast it after only 3 seconds for a quick, lesser-effect. Just as you could use the officially-described Cipher abilities and keep them on the same target until they build to full strength, OR change targets more often to affect more foes, but not as potently.

*shrug*

It was just an idea.

Well, I was thinking of them more as separate mechanics for separate ability types. And I'm not talking about Dragonball-style powerups. Really, in a way, my idea is very similar to yours. It could even be 3 tiers (or however many tiers... 3 is arbitrary) of meta-magic abilities that are set during combat, and they increase some effect at the cost of cast time. That's really all it is.

That's why I was thinking 9 seconds at the maximum. I wouldn't suggest the tiers and such for, say, a Wizard, or any other class. But, for a Cipher, because of how they work, with the gradual build of focus, I just had the simple thought of "What if you could build that focus, with SOME abilities, before you used them?"

Or, look at it this way. Imagine you have a strong, mind-control ability that you're about to use on 5 enemies. But it takes 9 seconds to "cast." So, you start casting, and combat's going on, and BOOM! Something happens that causes you to wish you could do something in LESS than 9 seconds with your Cipher, even though it's not the optimal thing you already commanded your Cipher to do. So, at 4 seconds, you force-cast the ability at a reduced potency, only affecting 3 enemies for a short duration. But, that's just enough to... I dunno, get those 3 guys off your Wizard, or deal with whatever crazy combat factor changed.

Same thing, really. You COULD cast the full ability, for full potency (and the cast time being long BEFORE the ability goes into affect takes care of the building-focus aspect of the Cipher). Or, you could cast it after only 3 seconds for a quick, lesser-effect. Just as you could use the officially-described Cipher abilities and keep them on the same target until they build to full strength, OR change targets more often to affect more foes, but not as potently.

*shrug*

It was just an idea.

It isn't a bad idea; they are very similar in result. I was just thinking that underpowered abilities and magic with an instant but uncertain result would be a new direction. I have a nagging sense I've seen your idea or something similar in action/tactical RPGs before. 

It isn't a bad idea; they are very similar in result. I was just thinking that underpowered abilities and magic with an instant but uncertain result would be a new direction. I have a nagging sense I've seen your idea or something similar in action/tactical RPGs before.

Honestly, the idea kind of stemmed from the Keeper of the Light in DOTA/DOTA2 (I think that's the hero). There's another hero in that game, Goblin Alchemist, who can brew a volatile concoction (which takes a minimum of 2 seconds, I think?), but you've got to "use" the ability again to actually target something and throw the concoction. For each second you hold it (beyond 2), it gains power and stuns longer. But, if it gets to 7 seconds and you haven't thrown it, it detonates, damaging and stunning yourself and anyone near you.

So, yeah. I know that's a completely different game (and not really an action/tactical RPG? o_O), but it was one of the things I thought of, in case you were curious.

I love the variance between not only the effects of spells/abilities in RPGs, but also the way in which spells/abilities function to produce those effects.

Again a another double post; sorry I had some more ideas

I was thinking that perhaps the Cipher starts out as a telepath but as they progress they earn/discover access to prestige classes that are in essence alternate psychic powers;

teleportation (or time/space distortion for more exotic abilities), pyro/cryo kinesis as a single class (as they are in essence two sides of molecular excitation) Seer (futuresight) and all the massive advantages that brings and an antipsychic class that excels in breaking other Ciphers and spills over into general antimagic.

Everyone knows the standard powers of teleportation:

Motionless Jump: Move through space instantly to another location. Starts off as a random (anywhere but here) button but progresses to precision jumps, moving an ally, moving a small to medium enemy, then finally being able to reposition entire party/multiple enemies or singular large enemy. Enemies must fail a reflex roll to be teleported.

Teleportation as a weapon:

Reckless Jump: Shaves off a portion of an enemy's health and lowers armour. Reflex save to avoid. Essentially trying to teleport only a portion of the enemy rather than the whole thing. 

Dice: High level teleportation ability; essentially teleporting the whole enemy to lots of different places at the same time, they only get there as chunks. Reflex to avoid, fortitude to survive. Survivors suffer moderate to heavy damage and bleeding wounds. Two turn ability with major stamina drain and can only target creatures no larger than medium. Does not work on incorporeal beings or slimes.

Swathe: Slice an area, teleporting an inch thick layer of everything there. Requires an intelligence check to recognize it is coming from the actions of the Cipher's allies (they all duck) and evade. Reflex save to take half damage. Causes moderate damage and randomly inflicts those who fail with either slow or bleeding wounds (crippled or sliced).

Impale: Teleport a small portion of an enemy from the centre of mass; chest/torso. Fortitude to avoid (Only hit muscle). Light damage but 10% chance of causing drowning to living creatures (pierced lung filling with blood).

• Like 2

I guess I'll just keep posting suggestions. Apologies.  ... by the way I realized I had seen the 'charge up' effect for magic in the Fable series.

Lets see... I was going to do Pyro/Cryokinesis next. Mostly a class for destruction, think fireballs and cones of frost. Some new ideas I had for it's use:

Frozen Ground: Literally cover any surface location with ice in an area around the Cipher which causes the enemies that cross it by foot to slow. Dexterity check to avoid the effect. Persistent effect that increases in size and eventually adds direct frost damage to crossing enemies at higher levels. 

Frozen pitfall: Using the expansion of ice crystals you set a trap invisible to the naked eye below seemingly normal ground. Relex save to avoid. Failure causes small amounts of frost and piercing damage as they step on ultra sharp icicles and leaves the enemy flatfooted for a number of turns until they regain feeling in their feet/stabilize the injury. Useful as a prelude to a sneak attack from an allied rogue.

As they progress to mastery over the realm of temperature control the Cipher gains resistance/reduction to fire and ice damage and a further minor increase in lightning reduction  (as the primary damage from electricity is heat). Further more as they become more powerful they gain damage reduction to cutting and piercing weapon damage ... they superheat the edge of normal weapons to soften the impact causing minor fire damage to attackers with weapons (and moderate damage to unarmed opponents). 

Fire... fire has been done almost to death... 

Wildfire: Start an uncontrolled blaze with no supernatural source to dispel. It expands and grows for several turns burning a randomly sized area, engulfing friend or foe. An answer to an enemy mage or Cipher with dispelling/neutralizing abilities this is a risky move only available in forests and buildings. This is not a magical fire it is aside from the initial push completely natural. Depending on size and duration this power increases in intensity and causes pure fire damage from light to heavy, fortitude save to suffer half. Furthermore while the fire rages all creatures in the area suffer concentration damage (from the stinging smoke and ash) willpower save to avoid.

Tormented Memories - Some souls are old, they have travelled all the paths that life offers, and one can only respect the strength of their endurance. The cunning Cipher may for a few brief moments draw out the experience of a previous life, and grant its skills to the present incumbent, so that they gain a slowly escalating bonus in swordsmanhip, archery, the arcane, lost knowledge or lockpicking for instance. This requires the utmost concentration that a Cipher may exert, they remain static and sweating throughout, and suffer a loss of stamina every few moments, they are after all piercing the veils of time and death to coax those memories to life. It must be remembered however that there are many new souls born, as the population expands over time, and they have no past experiences to draw on.

They Live! - When a Cipher abandons all subtlety and in a rage elects to totally destroy his opponent, he may use this dread technique. It is a severing thing, a mental scythe that the mindmaster uses to tear into his opponents spiritual being, and though at first it may seem nothing more than a cause of lethargy, soon enough it will grow much worse. The target will begin to lose himself, mental attributes and skills are shorn away until the Cipher has severed the very soul of his foe. If the severer does not succeed in his attempt then the target will regain his statistics, just as quickly as he lost them, but if not then supposedly only death awaits.

It should be noted however that the Cipher known as Hal the Eye, before he was burned at the stake, insisted that he had seen soulless bodies survive such severing, walking and talking as normally as any other. Drunken ramblings, heretical rumour or an extremely disturbing truth finally unveiled?

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ensnare Missile
- Target self or one ally.
- Duration: 10 seconds per Cipher level.
- A "Wall of Force" surrounds the target, intercepting all types of device-hurled or thrown missiles. The missile remains frozen within the wall of force, which will move around the battlefield relative to the target.
- A number of missiles equal to the Cipher level can be ensnared before the wall collapses, allowing the missiles to fall harmlessly to the ground.
- Missiles ensnared are: Arrows, Bolts, Darts, Stones, Bullets, Spears, Throwing Daggers/Axes, and Grenade-like objects (acid flasks, alchemists fire etc).

Rebuke Missile (Return to Sender)
- Target self or one ally.
- Duration: 10 seconds per Cipher level.
- As Ensnare Missile, but all missiles, including certain magic spells, are affected by a "gravitational slingshot" and hurled back at attacking enemies.
- Using the IE system, missile-like spells such as the following are affected:

- Magic Missile
- Ice Dagger
- Melf's Acid Arrow
- Flame Arrow
- Icelance
- Lance of Disruption
- Melf's Minute Meteors
- Mordenkainen's Force Missiles
- Darts of Bone
...and more.

Edited by TRX850
  • Like 2

I'm winging this post without any real ideas so if it's terrible that's my excuse.

I was thinking about cooperation abilities; the abilities listed (by me anyway) are mostly purely one on one attacks and abilities that only lead to combination attacks. I'm thinking some true combination attacks would be interesting. The cost would be at least a single turn for the ability and substantial stamina drain. For example:

Cipher + Shield using ally 

Telekinetic Refraction: The Cipher empowers an allied character with a shield equipped to pummel opponents and reflect piercing attacks and beam magics. 

Cipher + two weapon specialist ally

Astral Twin: An ally utilizing two weapons at once will gain greater weapon effectiveness and an extra set of attacks.

Cipher + Rogue

Memory Blank: Under the Cipher's care the rogue fades from the memories of enemies gaining several rounds of concealment; allowing multiple sneak attacks.

Cipher +Druid

Wild Memories: The Cipher boosts the Druid's ability scores while shape-shifted by implanting true memories of the animal the druid seeks to emulate.

Cipher + Fighter

Drawing upon the memories and souls of long dead master warriors the Cipher makes an allied fighter into a juggernaut for a handful of turns, adding natural armour, greater strength and temporary health.

Cipher + Two Handed weapon using Ally

Telekinetic Slash: For a handful of turns the Cipher causes a two handed weapon to cause a damaging arc during normal attacks, potentially hitting more than the initial target.

Cipher + Priest

Channelled Enlightenment: The Cipher connects with meditating holy men and temporarily boosts an allied priest's faith. The priest gains a bonus to turn undead and healing magic.

Cipher + Ranger

Directed Fury: The Cipher boosts an allied ranger's attack speed and damage against their chosen enemy by drawing upon the hidden depths of their hatred.

Cipher + Barbarian

Infernal Rage: Drawing upon the rage of demons the Cipher imprints this unnatural hatred upon an allied barbarian, causing a boost to attack and haste effect.

Cipher + Paladin

Checkmate Rush: The Cipher infuses an allied paladin with the soul of a famous strategist granting a boost to charisma, wisdom and an increase in initiative.

Cipher + Monk

Martial Soul: The Cipher draws upon the ferocity and skill of an ancient martial arts master, adding a natural armour and dexterity bonus and a knockdown effect to the normal attacks of an allied monk.

Cipher + Chanter (assuming this class is like an enhanced bard)

Lost Chant: The Cipher grants an allied chanter access to memories of truly tragic events which not only boosts their normal chants but inspires the chanter to create a horror effect on nearby enemies as they express this tortured pain in their song.

Cipher + ranged weapon using ally

Storm Strike: The Cipher adds a powerful electrical effect to an ally's missile weapons and a seeking effect adding a greater chance of a true hit.

Cipher + Mage

Master Focus: The Cipher adds the memories of the arcane of all within range to an allied mage; boosting intelligence and difficulty class modifiers to their magic.

Cipher + Cipher

Joint Force: With this ability a Cipher merges minds with another allied Cipher and together they bring a storm of telekinetic and telepathic rage to the general area. Explosions and debris strike enemies, however the ability is so taxing the ciphers are only able to keep the effect active for a scant few turns

Cipher + Cipher + Cipher 

Directed Cataclysm: A true force to be reckoned with is unleashed when three ciphers join minds and power. A cyclone is summoned that ravages a large area. Lightning bolts fall like rain. Enemies are wrenched and thrown around like toys. Even great enemies cannot move easily (large creatures suffer slow effect). Through this allies walk unharmed, acting as they like, unmolested. 

Did I miss anything?

• Like 2

I've been trying to keep my ideas within the bounds of the game it is after all supposed to be around Baldur's Gate character levels. I'm going to take it a step higher... towards that of the near God-like super beings which must exist. Perhaps such people/monsters will have a role in the game. I doubt they'll be playable... yet.

Near Omniscience: Using telepathy a Cipher draws upon the knowledge of all unshielded minds across the world gaining massive bonuses to lore, crafting and weapon mastery in all forms.

Pulverise All: The Cipher causes a map-wide crushing effect by increasing gravity. The closer to the Cipher the more intense the effect, starting with slow at very long range, scaling to paralysis at long range. At medium range a knockdown effect and light damage. At close range heavy damage and a strength/fortitude roll against death by crushing.

Incinerate All: Every enemy in sight catches fire and suffers intense burning damage over time, unless immune.

Teleport Doom: Enemies are randomly teleported; possibly being trapped underground or falling from the upper atmosphere. Few return alive, fewer healthy.

Kinetic Wrath: Choose an enemy and crumple them like paper.

Phased Existence: Become nearly etherial, immune to teleportation and gain a lethal touch attack as a normal attack.

Plasma Destruction: Utilize a beam weapon of utmost destruction to cut down enemies with a glance.

Summoned Nightmare: Bring a mental horror out of your mind and unleash it against your enemies as a physical, indestructible entity for as long as you focus.

Mental God: Your mental powers and strength are not drained as long as they are used within your body. Cipher becomes immune to normal weapons and gains moderate resistance to elemental damage. With a gesture direct magical attacks are deflected.

Power Possession: Directly duel a demi-god mentally in an attempt to temporarily usurp it's power.

Tame the Strong: Charm a monster or demon typically immune to such power. 

It is over the top, but not quite destroying stars and squashing planets.

I'm mostly out of ideas... 

Also double post... sorry.

• Like 1

Is It Safe? - The amoral Cipher sometimes needs answers quickly and has no time to spend examining the targets mind, opening mental doors and tracking down the hidden truth, at such times he uses this fearsome technique. Placing his hands upon an opponents skull he strips a mind of its secrets, by tearing through and sifting out what he wants to know, the victim will suffer multiple cerebral hemorrhages as the cruel Cipher tears into their brain. Each moment spent under such brutal mental assault will result in a permanent loss of intellect, as well as memory, sense and balance being compromised. No secrets will remain however.

What Sights I Shall Show You - A southern tradition that is slowly filtering northwards, a bard will sometimes hire a Cipher to enhance and visualise the telling of his sagas, so that as well as the spoken word and music that accompanies such tellings, there will form indistinct dreamlike images in the minds of all spectators that hint at the scenes being retold. This is a non intrusive method of mind mastery, merely sweeping up the mood and surface level thoughts of an audience and refining the images into a performance worthy piece. It is said to be the height of fashion amongst the more supposedly civilised nations.

This House Is Clean - When a plague of vermin has become too much for an innkeeper or head of household, he may turn to the local Cipher for help. Asking all small infants and pets to be taken from the premises the Cipher will extend his will over, under and around the house and exterminate the multitude of little minds that dwell therein. A thorough cleaning of the premises to dispose of the little bodies will be needed after treatment, and there is nothing stopping other vermin from returning, but still many swear by a yearly appointment with a Cipher. It should be noted that farmers fearing for their bees, worms and ferrets hold Ciphers at arms length, trusting more to the goodly work of a Druid.

Edited by Nonek
  • Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I'm thinking about non-combat abilities:

Map the Wild: The Cipher connects to the eyesight of birds and vermin, allowing observation of the majority of the current map and possibly observing secret areas, traps and behind closed doors as well as spotting ambushes. 

Wrong Person: Guards, assassins and bounty-hunters who are trying to capture/kill the Cipher may find themselves confused about who they hunt and instead turn upon one of their own from the beginning of combat, deliberately mislead by the Cipher tampering with their memories.

You Dare Defy Me?!: A weak minded opponent who doesn't realize with whom they are dealing can be forcefully and painfully enlightened by obvious Telekinetic and Telepathic forces.

One-way Trip: An annoying person hanging around? With a little teleportation you can send them somewhere far, far away. A deserted island perhaps? Feeling nasty? How about a volcano or perhaps the middle of an ocean?

Where is it?: Someone lost something? With a casual glance through the owner's sub-conscious the Cipher knows where to begin looking. 

Spontaneous Distraction: Need to distract a guard to get into an exclusive party and see someone who annoyed you already inside or passing? Set their underwear aflame and have a good laugh at their expense as you enter. 

Lights Out: Surrounded on all sides at night by torch bearing muggers? Snuff out the torches with cryokinesis and slip away while they're blind.

Where do you think you're going?: Annoyed by pickpockets who run with your hard earned cash? Freeze them to the ground and take it back without even needing to give chase.

You think you can escape?: An enemy trying to run and warn more enemies? Teleport him right back to where you are standing; holding a weapon ready to finish the job.

Ultimate Haggle: Know precisely how much your items are really worth to a merchant by reading their mind and squeeze them for every copper coin.

Hmm... I guess I still had more after all.