Hi. Was wondering if this game is still coming out at all. Heard March, then May. Also I know about the bankruptcy. I have looked all over the place, and because I have this game pre-ordered, I would like to know if it still exists. Thanks ahead of time to anyone who has info.

It's almost certain, as whoever gets rights to publish TSoT will see a return on their investment within a few months. Games that are far along in development are a lot safer in these types of auctions than those that are still early or just an IP. Having to cover the bid for an IP and then fund it all the way through development means they need even higher returns, which is why some IPs end up being archived by non-publishers.

We won't know the details until tomorrow at the earliest.

Edited by TSBasilisk

Under THQ, the release was set for April with many retailers claiming March. With Ubisoft moving in, they've set it "calendar year 2013" for the time being. Any delay will likely be due to the transition of rights, correction of any issues with the new publisher, and Ubi making room in their publishing docket. Hopefully any issues will be cleared up quickly and a revised release date will be set soon after.

Edited by TSBasilisk

Same, ubisoft better not delay the game several months just so they can latch on their drm and try to have it compete in the Christmas sales. I believe they jad the best idea releasing it between march and may because Feb u have some heavy hitter but the other months hardly nothing out so it would get bigger recognition instead of fighting for spotlight with a heavy hitter.

• 3 weeks later...

So, what's happening with this game? I know it's still coming out but some new info would be nice. Haven't heard anything from Obsidian nor Ubisoft after the auction.

I don't like this silence. It reminds me of the last few weeks before Aliens RPG was officially cancelled.  ;(

It won't be canned. Why pay for something that will make you a profit and then cancel it?

No one said it would be or even asked if it is canned.

So, what's happening with this game? I know it's still coming out but some new info would be nice. Haven't heard anything from Obsidian nor Ubisoft after the auction.

I assume the transition means they don't have everything quite in place to make announcements, yet. Though I hope they get it all going soon enough. 

I can't imagine huge delays from the original date, probably a mid-year release. 

Game retailers never ever have a clue about release dates, BTW. They know nothing.

RPS: On the other side of that, you’ve got South Park going.

THQ’s down for the count, so now Ubisoft’s publishing. Beyond that, is

everything proceeding apace? Has anything changed aside from a name on

the cover?

Feargus Urquhart: No, it’s going great. Matt and Trey are totally

engaged right now. They’re doing great work. They happened to be in

London this week, but our writer is out there working with them on stuff

at their request. We meet with them all the time. It’s great.

It’s going to be the most horrible game I ship in my career [laughs].

If there were anything that could get me on the watch list of the

religious right, it’s going to be the South Park game.

RPS: Truly, the sort of thing we can all aspire to. Has it

been delayed, though? It certainly seemed that way in Ubisoft’s initial

announcement.

Feargus Urquhart: Ubi hasn’t really gone into the release date stuff.

It’s so new to them, from the standpoint of moving it over. It’s still

something getting worked out as to when it’s going to ship.

I am starting to seriously wonder about the release of this game. I have preordered it and waited anxiously, but it seems now every time I check into its release the news sounds worse. First Feb, then march, then April-May, and now my Game Stops says "Hopfully mid summer.". Then to read in a interview with Ubisoft from the Canadian Finacial Post that " Some of our internal studios will be taking a look at the RPG game before it ever sees the light of day." Makes this game seem more and more of a "if" and not a "when" can I please get a answer about this lawsuit? Will this kill, free it, or freeze it? I am becoming very concerned.

Then to read in a interview with Ubisoft from the Canadian Finacial Post that " Some of our internal studios will be taking a look at the RPG game before it ever sees the light of day."

This is the part that interests me. Why would Ubisoft want their internal studios to take a look at it? Moving it from Obsidian to another dev? Something to do with Uplay?

The actual comment:

"Well, the game is in development and I guess that some teams will have a look at the game, but for sure we’ve just acquired the development of the game, so we’re going to work with the development studio on that and the plan is to publish the game."

So at most, the other studios will likely review it for any flaws or potential improvements, but it'll stay with Obsidian. Considering Ubi went into this deal blind on any issues with the game, it's not too odd they'd want to test the game before publishing it. Obsidian's history of bugs may result in slightly more intense reviews.

As for Prom's comments about the release date getting pushed back, those are predictions made by a third-party retailer to pump or pre-orders; until the publisher announces a release date, that's just smoke and mirrors.

I still say game is basically finished. Ubi gotta bugtest it, slap their drm onto it, and figure out marketing ideas for it. So far only what 2 commercials for the game and alot of non sp or nonobsidian fans dont know much about it. Granted im going on the bases of personal opionion working in retail and visiting Gamestop alot and base it on what I see and hear from customers. I think ubi does need to get more commercials out for it and for the love of God not postpone it for Christmas sales.

April or may will do nicely with minimum competition.