Favourite Companions

Wrex for Mass Effect

Ammon Jerro from NWN2 (but his itroducion to the team was wery week)

Oghren and Sten from Dragon Age

Minsc and Imoen from BG

Daelan from NWN

Jack from Mass Effect 2

Vincent Valentine from Final Fantasy 7

Irvine from Final Fantasy 8

Boone from Fallout NV

Zoltan chivay from Witcher (but he joins only for a moment)

So in this thread I see, that basically there is some love for every character.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

So in this thread I see, that basically there is some love for every character.

There are still a good number who haven't been mentioned, most notably not that much Jade Empire love and nothing for NWN1:OC :p  None for the Storm of Zehir characters either but they hardly had any lines so it's not surprising - only one I can even remember is that little svirf who was both evil and kind of endearing...

First and foremost, there is no doom song like the original doom song, so Deekin is, in fact, the best. Evah. 

Then there is old Jolee Bindo. No matter what play through, I had to have him in the party. 

A sign of a good, engaging character is one that you take in your party despite alignment clash/sub-optimal stats and such. 

HK-47 and Shale are prime examples of this. Both are fascinating characters that add a lot to the experience when they are in the party. 

And finally, I know you love to hate him, but man, when he chugged the darkspawn blood in Awakenings he won my heart, here's to you Oghren (as an aside, there is a smuggler class mission - or was it a world story mission? I forget - where you kill someone with Oghren's voice, and I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOO).  

1. For some odd reason, the first one that comes to my mind is Grimgnaw from Neverwinter Nights 1, even though he is merely a henchman and not a real companion.

His background story and philosophy was so interesting. I longed for the next "you-can-talk-more-about-the-henchman’s-background-story" update every time and was really excited about his story! (I am not familiar with the forgotten realms world or the D&D role-playing system, so I had never heard of the "order of the long death" etc.)!

To sum it up: He was a really interesting, non stereotype guy with a really weird and nonetheless fascinating ideology.

I would have him in my all time favorite party to learn more about him.

2. The next one that comes to my mind would be Morrigan from Dragon Age: Origins. In my personal (!) opinion, she is, by now, the best written companion a cRPG that I played had to offer.

She is smart, and rough and tough and beautiful in a way that is so very distant to the hordes of Barbie-doll-like big tittie babes, that roam so many games nowadays... and through all that you can, every now and then, catch a glimpse at the vulnerable young woman behind the tough shell.

She had a very interesting background story and you always wondered what the deeper reasons for her companionship would be. And last but not least, her storyline had a really great ending.

Apart from all that she had such wonderful conversations with the other companions! I laughed out loud more than one time, when she mocked Alistair for example.

She would be a must for my party!

3. I have seen how a Minsc received a lot of hate in this forum (but apparently not in this thread) and I don't understand why.

To understand why he is great, just read through the other posts that have him in their top 5 companion list over here.

Minsc has to be in the party! Not only would I love to hear what Morrigan would have to say to him and Boo but sometimes you just need someone who "goes for the eyes"!

4. Ammon Jerro was one of the companions I have in mind that had a real motivation to join your quest and I liked that very much! He is not the guy you stumble upon somewhere and then follows you to hell and back, for vague reasons.

He feels like someone who thinks: "Ok, I need you to complete what I want and therefore I will join you. But after that our paths will separate, because honestly: I don't like you and you don't like me!"

His motives aren't very nice, but they are pure.

To be honest, I didn't realize how much I liked him as a companion until I found him in Mask of the Betrayer and was so very disappointed that I could not turn him into a "real" companion again!

5. The last one is the toughest and I could not choose only one single companion. So here is the list:

- Jan Jansen: Great written, funny weirdo. Like locomotron wrote: "Long winded anecdotes about turnips, whats NOT to love?". (And, if I recall it rightly, he was burping sometimes you clicked on him and then mumbling an excuse about too much turnip beer (?)... fantastic! :) )

- Dogmeat from Fallout 1/Dog from DA:O: I like dogs in cRPGs (right now I am playing Fallout 1 again and the only companion I took with me was dogmeat) and besides that, Dog (DA:O) was responsible for some hilarious events at the campsite...

- Jaheira: So many lines of great written dialogue! Such a deep, interesting, struggeling woman! No list would be complete without her.

- Gannayev-of-Dreams, Kaelyn the Dove and Safiya from Mask of the Betrayer were absolutely amazing and I could not pick one over the others!

---

Some explanation:

No one from...

- KOTOR or KOTOR II: I only played through them once and this was ages ago. I just don't remember the companions well enough.

- Planescape Torment: I haven't playd it yet. (I know it's a shame, so please have mercy)

- Fallout3: Played it without companions

- Fallout:NV: The first (and until now, only) time I finished the game, I only had Boone and Rex with me, so I don't know the other companions, while Boone was cool but not as great as the companions on the top 5 list.

- Jagged Alliance 2: I really liked Shadow, but I don't know, if he reaches the requirements to be called a companion in a cRPG-ish way.

- Mass Effect: The companions in the top list are better than anyone from Mass Effect

- All the other RPGs I forgot: I forgot them!

Edited by pipboy2000

English is not my first language, so please forgive me any mistakes!

Minsc and Boo: Butt-kicking for goodness never gets old with them around.

Boone: I just like the 'good' NCR ending ...

"He spent his leave time hunting down slavers in the desert, his First Recon beret the last thing they never saw."

... and

"Thumbs-down, you son of a bitch!"

(I despise Caesar and the Legion in Fallout: New Vegas, they are very 'dark', but I could have accepted them except for two things: their treatment of women and slavery)

Edited by SupidSeep

... and it took me a week of nothing but eating, gaming and sleeping to complete :p

Hmmm,

It really is a hard choice, but:

NWN2:            Khelgar - who doesn't want a solid fighting comrade with some comic relief in his dialogs?

KOTR 1&2:     HK-47 - ::vield threat:: - just try to not agree with this choice...

PS:T:               Annah - love thieves with their cant

BG1&2:           Jaheira - one of most memorable characters

PS:T:               Morte - 'nough said

There is a lot more of really memorable and nice companions, thus it was hard to pick only so few :)

Garrus (ME)

Viconia (BG)

Edwin (BG)

Minsc (BG)

Sarevok (BG2)

Ammon Jerro (NWN2)

Bishop (NWN2)

Keldorn (BG2)

Yoshimo (BG2)

Zaeed (ME2)

Fall-From-Grace (PS:T)

Dak'kon (PS:T)

Gannayev (NWN2 - MotB)

Dove (NWN2 - MotB)

Sand (NWN2)

Montaron&Xzar (BG)

Kreia (KOTR2)

Bao-Dur (KOTR2)

GOTO (KOTR2)

Carth Onasi (KOTR)

Bastilla (KOTR)

Canderous "Mandalore" Ordo (KOTR1&2)

Atton (KOTR2)

Argh.. I will stop here, otherwise it will take too long :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is tough but I would take with me

Linu La'neral from NWN1

Visas Marr from KoTOR 2

Tali'Zorah from Mass Effect

Valen Shadowbreath from NWN1: Hordes of the Underdark

Princess Sun Lian (Silk Fox) from Jade Empire

I just love these characters and how they interact with the PC and the world :)

Adding some Honorable Mentions:

Shale from Dragon Age: Origins

Nathyrra from NWN1: Hordes of the Underdark

Mira from KoTOR 2

Liara T'Soni from Mass Effect

Neeshka from NWN2

Edited by Fluffboll
  • Like 1

"How was I supposed to know it was that stone that held the dragons at bay... I mean it just stood there looking dull anyway"