Favourite Companions

This is a mix of a bit of fun, and just seeing what people like in their companions that could provide lessons that could be potentially transfered into P:E.  

Essentially the Challenge is this: You are a random protagonist who is given the opportunity to round out your party with any companion characters from Obsidian/Bioware/Black Isle/Troika party based RPGs.  As six is the classic party size, that means you can pick any five characters from any game where you have at least one or more companion with you.  It doesn't matter if they are from different settings (so you could have a 5 which had a Jade Empire character, 2 Fallout characters, an Arcanum one and a Mass Effect one) or if it would make an unbalanced party of five wizards or whatever, its just the guys who you've felt most attached to or felt were the best written, even if you hated them as a character you liked the writing.  It can be about anything at all really, but about the characters personality, NOT about their power level.

This is specifically for characters who you are on a team with so, for instance, no characters from Alpha Protocol.

So, basically just a list of 5 characters, why they worked so well, and if there were any lessons learnt from that character that could be transfered to P:E.

I'll put mine up in a bit when I've fully decided, but in the mean time, have fun, looking forward to seeing who people choose!

Virgil for his reactivity, like your ability to drag him down into damnation with you.

Viconia because she had more "flavour" in her dialogue than other BG companions, giving you the idea she really came from a different cultural background.

Sulik, because he was a solid comic relief brute. Having any companion recklessly charge machine gun wielding enemies is fun, (almost) regardless of the outcome.

Morte, for obvious reasons. It would be fun to have a companion who's just as unfazed as Morte, despite having more to lose (like a body).

Despite never having been a companion, Oswald Fiddlebender. And no, I don't think Oswald as a companion would basically be Jan Jansen.

I'm currently going through NWN2 for the first time... I didn't much care for any of them till Bishop made a pass at Neeshka mentioning his cold bed. She replied, "I can always set you on fire... Bishop." From that moment on, I kinda liked her. :biggrin: I get a kick of out Sand too, but then, I can be pretty sarcastic myself.

NWN1 - Deekin of course. You couldn't help but to feel for that terrified little kobold.

Skyrim - Cicero, I just love happy lunatics. The character you were first presented with in Astrid I liked to. You know, the little minx sitting up on the shelf dangling her foot. Watching you like a hamster in a cage with sheer morbid curiosity. I liked that Astrid. However, when you joined she just turned into bossy annoying bitch.

As for Planescape and all those, been far to long for me to remember. I don't DA or ME so can't relate anything there.

Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt. - Julius Caesar

:facepalm: #define TRUE (!FALSE)

I ran across an article where the above statement was found in a release tarball. LOL! Who does something like this? Predictably, this oddity was found when the article's author tried to build said tarball and the compiler promptly went into cardiac arrest. If you're not a developer, imagine telling someone the literal meaning of up is "not down". Such nonsense makes computers, and developers... angry.

Oo. Tough one.

1. Fall-from-Grace, 'cuz I still have a huge crush on her.

2. Dak'kon, 'cuz he's the deepest-thinking cRPG companion ever.

3. Kreia, because where would we be without at least one of MCA's dominatrixes of a certain age?

4. Sulik, because grampy bone. Also I want to see what Kreia makes of him.

5. Gann, because damn, hagspawn. How cool is that?

Did I mention Fall-from-Grace?

• Like 1

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Favourite quote was from Xzar in BG1, if Montaron dies while in your party.

"Montaron!  I.....never loved you!"

It made me :lol: every time.

Edited by TRX850
  • Like 2

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Morte: Every party needs a joker and he's probably the best playable joker around

Annah-of-the-shadows: You also always need 1 fiesty or spunky character and she's always been one of my favorites.

Garrus Vakarian: He's one of the better comrade in arms characters but he's also got that gallows humor which makes him my favorite loyal comrade characters.

Goris: I like to have beast/robot/animal companions and Goris is one of my favorites. He's a completely physical character combat wise but he's also a dedicated scholar and I always enjoy that sort of mash-up.

Legion: I found him to be incredibly interesting because he thought process and how he experienced reality was so completely foreign and that it always bothered me how little time he got to spend in the party. I'd take him in my top 5 just to be able to hear more about the geth and his banter.

If Legion got more screen time in mass effect I'd rather take Delita Heiral from FFT.

K is for Kid, a guy or gal just like you. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Right, getting around to my own list:

Aveline  

Mordin

Kreia

Tali

Annah

Looking at this list, Aveline because she is arguably the best written female character in a game I've played and is played in such a way where she isn't conventionally pretty, isn't romantically interested in the player character even if you are in her, and just feels a lot more real across the board.  Mordin because of him being a fundementally good and lighthearted character, but is also effectively a man who has potentially committed genocide... Kreia I don't think I can really add much to: she challenges the players prception more than any other companion.  Tali because she just felt like a friend, and watching her go through good moments and bad aways caused an emotional response. Annah I remember being fond with, although I'm embarrassed to say its been so long since I played Planescape I can't entirely remember the reasons, but as the Planescape characters were written so well as a whole I needed to pick one to represent them.

There are some others that didn't quite make the cut: I didnt include any Baldurs Gate characters because they just feel fairly lightly sketched compared to the games which I have chosen characters from, though I am very fond of Mazzy, and find Keldorn interesting even if its hard to actually like the guy.  Jade Empire also feels a bit lightly sketched, possibly because you don't get to see much inter-character itneraction relative to most of these games.  I will shamefully admit I've never got into the original Fallouts despite owning them both, so can't really comment there as the only companion I even got in 2 was that one you get shotgun weddinged into having along.  Neverwinter Nights 2 was a bit of a funny one, as was DA:O they both had characters which I enjoyed at the time, but I don't find myself particularly wishing I could spend more time with say, Morrigan or Sand, much as I liked them at the time. 

Dak'kon

Fall-From-Grace

Morte

Mazzy

Minsc

......Okay, I'm just imagining the banters, honestly.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Alas, party-based FRPG with pre-gen'd characters have been few and far between lately. I'd have to go with Varric, Isabela, and Bethany Hawke from DA2, Mira from KOTOR2, and Coran from BG. For some reason I like friendly, roguish characters.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I'm a sucker for beautiful and interesting party members. So for me Viconia, Fall-From-Grace, Isabella, Morrigan,Qara and Annah would be a must

Then guys like Minsc, Shale and Alistair I enjoy to balance the game.

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Kreia, makes the pathetic writing of the caricatures that represent most games female characters all the more glaring.

Dogmeat, best friend a vault dweller can have.

Oh and Steven Heck, because even though you said no characters from Alpha Protocol, you didn't say please.

• Like 2

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

My, my this is a tough one. But if I am to choose based off of my own personal tastes and preferences instead of umm... emotional attachment?(Planescape Torment! Planescape Torment!!) Then I would point out these, since I love characters who are, well more humane level, and not traditional experienced adventurers.

1) Mortimer "Morte" Rictusgrin: Who after very first meeting and introduction of this special litle fella, would have thought, that this floating skull with pair of eyeballs and razor-sharp sarcasm, perverted spot for females be they alive or undead and who's sole weapon is his mouth in more way then one, turns out to be not only irreplacable party member but also such a deep and astonishing character. I will never forget all those moments concerning Morte that I totally didn't see coming, just the mere thought that he hangs up with TNO for so long and always playing on him the same act over and over again, yet doesn't seem to let this undoubtetly disturbing sight and experiences get the best of him. Morte's character is for me personally a writing gold, whatever was touched on him it turned out flawlessly perfect, and Mortimer stands for a single most memorable companion and best budd (if a bit untrustworthy) for all good reasons.

2) Virgil Brummond: Seriously this is what I call truly humane character, the first moment he introduces himself, you can't take this guy seriously at first, but as a layers of his persona starts to peel, well that is a different cup of tea. Virgil is not some world weary traveler/adventurer he is basically just the same green guy like you who gets thrown head first in the whirl of events going much deeper beyond religious prophecies and after spitting him out it leaves him him with very much changed point of view on great many things. He is not exceptional fighter or mage or anything but he has diverse talents and is quick on his wits and will try to do his best to protect and guide Living One, in there he proves he isn't just blind man of faith but also nice and protective friend who despite being but a rather common man will take responsibility when neede. Virgil also has a trait of appearing as not believing in himself entirely, but once he does he doesn't hesitate to leave Living One to his own devices and goes on following his own agenda, resulting in one of the most memorable events in Arcanum's story. He doesn't look the part, but Virgil bears a sins of past that haunts him and truly, Virgil is no naive preacher as he first appeared to be. Polite but seclusive of sorts, he has his moments when he burst in anger, desperation or drop some sarcasms, when temper takes him (or gets really annoyed). Player also has a choice about how Virgil's nature eventually turns out, which is rare thing to behold if you ask me.

3) Annah-of-the-Shadows: The one single best written female RPG character I have seen to this day, imho, just the way she jumps from her usual seclusive demeanour to that one she shows when her fiendish blood takes over resulting n numerous memorable moments is great deal of flavour, besides she is strong, independent girl, who has many admirable qualities besides her thieving skills, but under her hard and edgy facade, she cannot hide that she's after all a girl who desire a true, not false, respect and honesty and of course love.

4) Garfield Thelonius Remington the Third a.k.a Gar a.k.a The world's smartest "orc": Just his name alone has such a ring to it it's enough to fall for this guy, he is sooo adorable. If one tries to imagine what he must've been through his whole life, but even so he isn't bitter and snarky, instead Gar is very humble, cultured and nice, even tho he looks like orc, he has human opinions on them, which added more flavour to his character... and he loves Earl Grey :thumbsup:

And for the last one, well everybody knows that right party needs one real maniac :yes: (OK maybe it's just me) so :
5) Ignus / Gorgoth: Hard to pick one of this duo, sorry, I just like both of them equally, but in a long run probably Gorgoth because he is seemingly more controllable from the two. I admit, I love chaotic, crazy, mindlessly, unstoppable living force, who are not exactly evil, just so fueled by and caring only for their single one unsatiable passion, that nothing can't stand in their way: And on top of that have enough power to not be swayed from their goal.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
On completely unrelated note.. sort of:
The ones who didn't make the final cut but deserves a honorable mention, or at least deserve to serve as main party's backup :grin: are following:

Minsc(and Boo): he is one jolly buddy, who deserves a honorable spot, because he is a bloody PINNACLE of Large Ham. I also have a soft spot for characters who are stereotypical large, strong, gentle simpletons, besides that his unique approach to a Ranger profession is a addind so much juice for his character and is a sight to behold.
Getting, tired so let's throw in rest of the names and get some sleep. Rest who I considered and deserves mention: Any Dog companion, Jan, Fall From Grace, Magnus, Lenny, Marcus, Sulik ... and that's ...that' 'bout it, Im still sure I left out some tho.

Sorry for long post I got carried away a big time

Edited by Ywerion

"Have you ever spoken with the dead? Called to them from this side? Called them from their silent rest? Do you know what it is that they feel?

Pain. Pain, when torn into this wakefulness, this reminder of the chaos from which they had escaped. Pain of having to live! There will be no more pain. There will be... no more chaos."

Kerghan the Terrible,

first of the Necromancers,

voyager in the Lands of the Dead.

Forgot about Fawkes from FO3. Best endless-ammo, mini-gun toting super mutant companion ever. But then he does tend to make the game a little too easy...

Forgot about Fawkes from FO3. Best endless-ammo, mini-gun toting super mutant companion ever. But then he does tend to make the game a little too easy...

Fawkes was alright as a character (except for the fact that he set a section of Bethesda fans insisting on calling Super Mutants "meta-humans,") but in such an easy late game, bringing such an OP character (it was an infinite ammo gatling laser, not a minigun,) just took what little fun was left out of the main storyline. Add to that an invincible super-robot who does all the fighting for the "climactic final battle," and you've got what amounts to an endgame that's an interactive cutscene.

Kreia is probably number one for me. Most every game gives the player the option of contesting their followers' beliefs, but Kreia turns the tables, regardless of what choices you make.

Cass in NV. Mostly because (before they nerfed her frequency of talking,) she had something specifically contextual to say about your current location or situation, something that most other characters lacked. I would also say Raul and Gannon if they didn't always whine whenever you crouch. Seriously, I'm just crouching for weapon stability, you don't have to do it, too. Well, I know you have to because that's how the game is programmed, but still. It's not like you guys are any help when sneaking, anyway.

Morte is just good old fashioned hilarious, in spite of his massive dickery for time immemorial. 

Edited by AGX-17

Fawkes was alright as a character (except for the fact that he set a section of Bethesda fans insisting on calling Super Mutants "meta-humans,") but in such an easy late game, bringing such an OP character (it was an infinite ammo gatling laser, not a minigun,) just took what little fun was left out of the main storyline. Add to that an invincible super-robot who does all the fighting for the "climactic final battle," and you've got what amounts to an endgame that's an interactive cutscene.

The super-robot scene was only a brief segment of the game, and I felt sufficiently engaged during that sequence because I stayed pretty aggressive. (I normally played sneaky sniper-style, so it was a nice change of pace.)

Kreia is probably number one for me. Most every game gives the player the option of contesting their followers' beliefs, but Kreia turns the tables, regardless of what choices you make.

Not a Kreia fan. She just acted moody and spouted philosophical toxicity.

Cass in NV. Mostly because (before they nerfed her frequency of talking,) she had something specifically contextual to say about your current location or situation, something that most other characters lacked. I would also say Raul and Gannon if they didn't always whine whenever you crouch. Seriously, I'm just crouching for weapon stability, you don't have to do it, too. Well, I know you have to because that's how the game is programmed, but still. It's not like you guys are any help when sneaking, anyway.

Yeah, location or situation-specific commentary is a nice touch, albeit costly.

I definitely don't like characters that won't work with you tactically.

Morte is just good old fashioned hilarious, in spite of his massive dickery for time immemorial. 

Morte did nothing for me, alas. I never understood the appeal. :skull:

In no particular order:

Morte

Kreia

Dakkon

Korgan

Many as One

Honorable mention:

Anyone from Torment

Sarevok

Dogmeat

Goris

Viconia

Jan Jansen

Ammon Jero

Looking this list i realize i could put many others from Obsisian in the honorable mention. I love their characters :bow:

Edited by Malekith

Uh. This is a hard one. In no particular order:

NWN2: Bishop. For being a vile SOB, and sticking to it to the end.

Dragon Age: Origins: Morrigan. For being a snarky, sarcastic b****, and still have emotions and doubts.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: Jaheira. For being a bossy, tyrannical, lovable, endearing, irritating and utterly loyal companion.

Planescape: Torment: Morte. For being sarcastic, nasty, obsessed with women, deep, surprising and astonishingly well written.

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: Minsc and Boo: For bring an entirely new dimension to the "really stupid barbarian with a two-handed sword" cliché.

There are others. These are just on top of my head.

Edited by TMZuk

3) Annah-of-the-Shadows: The one single best written female RPG character I have seen to this day, 

This makes me wonder what the "best" female RPG character is from the point of view of actual women gamers. (I'm honestly curious.)

Baldur's Gate 1 & 2: Jaheira. For being a bossy, tyrannical, lovable, endearing, irritating and utterly loyal companion.

Hmm, let's see. For the sake of banters, if I replaced Dak'kon with Jaheira...

Jaheira

Fall-From-Grace

Mazzy

Minsc

Morte

Ahahaha. I can see it now...

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Morte, Virgil, Minsc, Annah, Magnus...

Well, I just curious how mess and funny when Morte, Virgil and Minsc(Boo) being together...

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

Morte, enough said. (he shares this place with Murray from Monkey Island 3 love them talking skulls :))

Jan Jansen, no BG2 party is complete without his banter.

Kreia, hardy mentor, an excellent manupilator.

Marcus, from Fallout 2 (we also meet himin  New Vegas) good'ol ugly mutie with his little minigun :)

Wilhem from Vampire the Masquerade- Redemption. another mentor and a loyal friend for a very long time.

• Like 1

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Visas Marr and Mira, and despite his flaws, I liked Atton as a character... Kreia as a Character, but not really as a companion.

I also loved hearing the stories Canderous Ordo told (Which I actually believe is the creature that is the main antagonist in Mass Effect, which I believe is a continuation of that storyline but couldn't be set in the star wars universe because of licensing)

I know canderous ordo is not in an obsidian game

but Mandalore is, and he IS canderous ordo

Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

1) Dakkon: He is deep, loyal, somewhat wise and while blinded with the deceives of the past Nameless you can help him to overcome them making him really stronger: not only by stats but character.

2) Morte: Fun as hell, he has more layers than u would ever expect from "the clown" making him deep while a little deceiving

3) Garrus Valkarian: Badass, serious but with little fun moments, the "bad cop" and a loyal companion. Its like having batman as a friend.

4) Morrigan / Kreya: Both are mysteries with their own agendas, for the ones they will do whatever it takes. Both are powerfull, inteligent and manipulators to the point you cant be 100% sure what are they thinking. I only prefer Morrigan a little more cause she in time can reflect that she is a vulnerable human.

5) Liara T´Soni: The character is good and I like how they made her a little naive but not stupid at the beginning and how later she "matures" far more. But what makes she stay in the top five is the relation she can have with shepard and the dialogues that come with that. I felt it was really well made.

Honorable mentions: HK-47 "the meatbag killer master", Deeking "the "frail" but courageous bard, Fenris (the only DA2 char that I think its interesting with all his revenge past), Jaheira with his Khalid "problem", Wrex, Keldorn and every single character from Planescape: Torment :D.

Edited by Naurgalen