Gorth

...and that's why i always have i little laugh whenever a Swede says "there's no swedish culture!".

Anyhoo, still battling with the rental car kerfuffle. Of some reason, it is 800 dollars cheaper to pickup a car from Jersey or Staten island than from JFK Airport. And i still haven't got my head around all the insurance needed.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

.. Just got back in after spending the afternoon helping a friend set up a shed for his motorbike in his new place.

Trying to put a coat of waterproofing, then erecting said shed in cold weather (although not the low extremes mentioned in Sweden earlier in this thread), but annoyingly cold and with occasional short bouts of snow fall.. is not the most fun. Especially when your feet feel like blocks of ice and you start losing sensation in your hands as you try to deal with screws and wotnot....

Now clutching a hot mug of tea and trying to soak in some warmth...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

That does mesh with the Finns I've known. Hm, my country's only really known for a place you're likely to get murdered.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yeah I was snickering at that remark too, Stockholm's like the capital of metereosexual, politcal corect niceness of Scandinavia.

But boys they do have some stunning blond ladies. Last year I went to this music\dance festival in Belgium called Tomorrowland. We ended up meeting and partying with loads of really great people, but the Swedish girls were up there as some of the most attractive and  friendliest of everyone we met .

If I had to be objective I'd say the Norwegian ladies are the prettiest in Scandinavia and the Swedish men are the most attractive. While Denmark is where the fun is at. :)

And where does Finland fit in, are they not considered Scandinavian? Do you guys share cultural similarities with Finns or not really?

We used to be uncouth shock troops for the metrosexual powdered swedes. :p

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hakkapeliitta

Edited by Nepenthe

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

.. Just got back in after spending the afternoon helping a friend set up a shed for his motorbike in his new place.

Trying to put a coat of waterproofing, then erecting said shed in cold weather (although not the low extremes mentioned in Sweden earlier in this thread), but annoyingly cold and with occasional short bouts of snow fall.. is not the most fun. Especially when your feet feel like blocks of ice and you start losing sensation in your hands as you try to deal with screws and wotnot....

Now clutching a hot mug of tea and trying to soak in some warmth...

Yes, it is very hard to erect when freezing.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Oh, it's always fun to get a phone call from someone with an incredibly thick indian accent and they start off with a "Hello, this is Windows and we're contacting you about a problem you're having with your computer. We understand it's running slow and having other issues while connecting to the internet and I'm going to talk you through how to deal with this..."

So you kind of do the "uh huh" noise and listen to them talk you through various tasks you're meant to be doing to your pc under their 'guidance',  and then you say to them : "So, basically, you're getting me to remove all security aspects from my computer while allowing remote access to someone who doesn't even know the correct company name behind this operating system?"

And then they hang up suddenly in shock.

C'est la vie.

I don't know what it is, but we can go for a month without getting them, and then suddenly have a dozen in a week.

I think what's amusing most is that whoever is organising these phone scams in India doesn't bother to get people who actually know computers, but just gives them the script to work with.

Sometimes I like to play with the whole "That's interesting, my computer is running on linux so.."  or the "ah, right. which computer do you mean then, because my parents both have computers and there's mine, and the laptop and the.."

Or just seeing how much they bluster before they hang up if you say something like "oh, that's interesting, i happen to work in computer security and.."

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Oh, it's always fun to get a phone call from someone with an incredibly thick indian accent and they start off with a "Hello, this is Windows and we're contacting you about a problem you're having with your computer. We understand it's running slow and having other issues while connecting to the internet and I'm going to talk you through how to deal with this..."

So you kind of do the "uh huh" noise and listen to them talk you through various tasks you're meant to be doing to your pc under their 'guidance',  and then you say to them : "So, basically, you're getting me to remove all security aspects from my computer while allowing remote access to someone who doesn't even know the correct company name behind this operating system?"

C'est la vie.

I don't know what it is, but we can go for a month without getting them, and then suddenly have a dozen in a week.

I think what's amusing most is that whoever is organising these phone scams in India doesn't bother to get people who actually know computers, but just gives them the script to work with.

Sometimes I like to play with the whole "That's interesting, my computer is running on linux so.."  or the "ah, right. which computer do you mean then, because my parents both have computers and there's mine, and the laptop and the.."

Or just seeing how much they bluster before they hang up if you say something like "oh, that's interesting, i happen to work in computer security and.."

Do you know my step-dad got the same call in South Africa, so these guys are truly international

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Oh, it's always fun to get a phone call from someone with an incredibly thick indian accent and they start off with a "Hello, this is Windows and we're contacting you about a problem you're having with your computer. We understand it's running slow and having other issues while connecting to the internet and I'm going to talk you through how to deal with this..."

So you kind of do the "uh huh" noise and listen to them talk you through various tasks you're meant to be doing to your pc under their 'guidance', and then you say to them : "So, basically, you're getting me to remove all security aspects from my computer while allowing remote access to someone who doesn't even know the correct company name behind this operating system?"

C'est la vie.

Sometimes I like to play with the whole "That's interesting, my computer is running on linux so.." or the "ah, right. which computer do you mean then, because my parents both have computers and there's mine, and the laptop and the.."

I got a call like this for the first time in my life last week. At first, I was like"wtf?", then I got angry, by the end of the call, I wasn't far from bursting into laughter. Told them to never call again or I'd have their number tracked. It would be fun if it was a real Microsoft dude calling, lol.

I got my laptop! and it's working! and everything works well!

Except the audio, which sucks a big hard piece of rock candy. That said, I'm very happy with my purchase. Oh man steam is going to be busy downloading tonight! :)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Congrats. Still waiting on mine to come. Web browsing on a kindle all the time kinda sucks.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Ah, but when it does, it'll be all the sweeter

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I got my laptop! and it's working! and everything works well!

Except the audio, which sucks a big hard piece of rock candy. That said, I'm very happy with my purchase. Oh man steam is going to be busy downloading tonight! :)

You can always get a pair of small speakers to enhance the audio quality after you've saved up a few bucks.  And don't melt your machine playing the latest shooter with trillion poly avatars or some such nonsense.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

I ordered a bluetooth Bose SoundLink bluetooth for my laptop too. I figured, what the hell, go big or go home. I want to catch the Rays & Marlins games when I'm on the road. The only thing the saucks is I'll still be paying for this thing after it's long gone! :lol:

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I ordered a bluetooth Bose SoundLink bluetooth for my laptop too. I figured, what the hell, go big or go home. I want to catch the Rays & Marlins games when I'm on the road. The only thing the saucks is I'll still be paying for this thing after it's long gone! :lol:

Wait a minute... Don't you always sermonize in every economy/personal finance thread about how important it is not to go into debt? 

I suppose even you can recognize important exceptions to this rule of thumb, like baseball, video games, good whiskey, and getting laid. 

• Like 2

The only thing the saucks is I'll still be paying for this thing after it's long gone! :lol:

*SMH* Ah, the follies of youth... ;)

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

According to the show Dual Survival, one can use up to 400 calories per hour from intense shivering. New diet! Keep the house near freezing, wear no clothes, and shiver off that pizza while gaming/watching TV!

Now playing on my 13" office-bedroom TV: ST:OS animated series episode "Infinite Vulcan." Then enforced sleep...been staying up too late again. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thread is becoming threadbare (oh the pun!)... new thread here

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein