Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A Spell-free Project Eternity?

magic-users requirements request

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

Tsuga C

Tsuga C

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Friar Godfrey,

I wish you well in your efforts to keep your in-game use of magic on the down-low.  I believe that it might not be possible to complete the game without your player character using some of the soul-based powers.  You might be able to avoid taking spell casters with you, but based upon what I've read about Project: Eternity, I think your character will be passively and actively drawing upon the powers of their soul on a regular basis.  If this smacks of the occult to you, then Project: Eternity might not be a prudent investment. 

Have you taken your final vows to your order?  If not, perhaps a pause to reconsider might be worthwhile.  If a simple roleplaying game has the potential to put you in conflict with your more stodgy superiors, then I'd give careful consideration as to whether or not I'd want such people as my superiors.  Meditate upon that and draw your own conclusions.

Respectfully,
Tsuga C

PS--Havamal!

• frgodfrey likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

There is no magic in real life

Apart from quantum entanglement... ;)

Tsuga C

Tsuga C

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Science is merely magic grown mundane.  :biggrin:

• IndiraLightfoot and Lephys like this

Umberlin

Umberlin

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 545 posts

I am having trouble seeing how you could have trouble remembering spell effects, and have to look them up, in the context of modern PC RPGs where most effects are explained right on screen, or with a pop-up on mouse over. Even, for example, the BG series had spell effects described on the spells in the game, no time wasted and no need to go out of your way to look them up. Still, if you don't want to use magic, don't. Oh well. If you really want to do that you'll find a way to make it work. If your time is so limited play nothing is forcing you to play for longer than you need, and magic certainly isn't forcing you to. If anything magic spells up progress through most RPGs I can think of.

Matthiasa

Matthiasa

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Yes because that is the only part of quantum physics that can cause "interesting effects".

Officially you could fall through the earth, have a dragon eat you, have a solar mass black hole materialize inside you, the universe universe could disappear, another big bang could occur, etc given enough time.

Just mundane things like individual particles interfering with themselves isn't something one would guess would ever happen if they had no knowledge of quantum physics.

Edited by Matthiasa, 20 January 2013 - 04:56 PM.

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

I dunno, we're living with pretty advanced magic already, I have a device with which I can contact ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD who also has such a device. and I can do so with almost no delay.

• AGX-17 likes this

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

a computer game that forces one to use magic (which in real life, always has ties to the diabolic)

You guys would not be able to appreciate through text how hard I am laughing right now. Whenever someone says "real magic" like some pudgy wiccan wearing a velvet cape to community college classes can make a voodoo curse on some douche, I can't breathe from the laughter.

Oh man, I can't believe people like this exist in the industrialized world. I wonder if they think internal combustion is a form of magic. What about the internet? How can they believe in rational thought if they believe magic is real?

At any rate, they've said you can play through the game, start to finish, with only your player character alone, regardless of class. So whatever, the anti-christ computer demons encoded in the demonic magic machine on your desk can't hurt you.

Edited by AGX-17, 21 January 2013 - 12:36 PM.

• GrinningReaper659 likes this

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Which makes me wonder, will the game feature magic-using trolls? :p

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I dunno, we're living with pretty advanced magic already, I have a device with which I can contact ANYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD who also has such a device. and I can do so with almost no delay.

Any sufficiently advanced magic... is going to require a payment plan.

• JFSOCC likes this

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Which makes me wonder, will the game feature magic-using trolls? :p

Have you ever been to a Christian game review site? Or an Evangelical church? These people legitimately exist. 

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Mmm... yes, I'm familiar with the Christian philosophy, and I usually prefer to live and let live; to turn the other cheek, if you will. My main issue is when religious beliefs lead to ignorant prejudices that harm others.

But we're probably getting a bit off the subject of PE now... :)

jivex5k

jivex5k

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 462 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Religious beliefs aside, the ability to complete the game without magic is an interesting concept.

I'd like the game to be that versatile, but not without some difficulty.

Obviously there will be times when magic users shine, but as they stated they don't want to prevent a class from completing a task.

• frgodfrey likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

Different professions... could being a silent Monk who travels the land as a self-sufficient peddler be a sort of profession? Leading towards the greater path, from a different angle than the "Got to take everyone out to progress". The Fighter defeats the King, whilst the Monk mostly diplomatically+stealth gets through and heals the Kings wounds~ or goes all Avatar mode only at bosses.

AGX-17

AGX-17

(11) Wizard

• Members
  • 1735 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Religious beliefs aside, the ability to complete the game without magic is an interesting concept.

I'd like the game to be that versatile, but not without some difficulty.

Obviously there will be times when magic users shine, but as they stated they don't want to prevent a class from completing a task.

I'm still assuming there's a good likelihood of any given class having access to some kind of "soul" skills for use in and out of combat which are magic-like. i.e. A monk's chi/ki/chakra/prana, whatever you want to call it.

Edited by AGX-17, 21 January 2013 - 01:18 PM.

Nonek

Nonek

Not of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 3040 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Different professions... could being a silent Monk who travels the land as a self-sufficient peddler be a sort of profession? Leading towards the greater path, from a different angle than the "Got to take everyone out to progress". The Fighter defeats the King, whilst the Monk mostly diplomatically+stealth gets through and heals the Kings wounds~ or goes all Avatar mode only at bosses.

Surely the Avatar was more of a Paladin than a monk?

Incidentally friar, the Ultima series (from number 4 onwards) with its focus on virtues stemming from bell, book and candle might be something to consider playing. Your senior brethren might be amenable to the moral lessons suugested in those games, and the protagonist pursuing a path of relentless self improvement. They might also get a chuckle from the fellowship presented in game 7, with its scientology parallels.

• Osvir likes this

Osvir

Osvir

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3799 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
  • Black Isle Bastard!

A Scholar path :)

Juneau

Juneau

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 171 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
I'm curious as to how you can say that the use of magic is inherently diabolical but running around hacking and slashing people into bloody pieces isn't?

Surely it's in the desired result rather then the act itself? If someone were to use magic for good such as to heal a sick child/cure a fellow of a undeserved curse or banish a devil from this plane?

I've not looked into your place of worship or any thing but the bible generally refers to magic, what 15 times? None to say it's specifically bad - If I remember rightly and I've not exactly followed my faith for many many years now but in Acts Simon was a magician who was baptised and did great things.

Edited by Juneau, 22 January 2013 - 02:24 AM.

JFSOCC

JFSOCC

Mentor & Student of the Obsidian Order

• Members
  • 2255 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Surely it's in the desired result rather then the act itself?

Philosophy 101. Some philosophies believe it's the act itself which is moral or not. (Categorical thinking)
Other philosophies believe it's the world that results from the act which determines it is good or evil (Consequentialist thinking)

Most religions I know of fall into the Categorical thinking category. (I think) Which is what allows for fundamentalism.

Edited by JFSOCC, 22 January 2013 - 02:39 AM.

Alexjh

Alexjh

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 294 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

Surely it's in the desired result rather then the act itself?

Philosophy 101. Some philosophies believe it's the act itself which is moral or not. (Categorical thinking)
Other philosophies believe it's the world that results from the act which determines it is good or evil (Consequentialist thinking)

Most religions I know of fall into the Categorical thinking category. (I think) Which is what allows for fundamentalism.

Both leave a lot of room for justifying atrocities, and honestly, if someone wants to commit one they'll take whatever justification they can get.  To pick an example, if someone killed 99% of the humans on earth, though obviously appalling for humans, could be considered to be vastly beneficial for the world itself, so a consequentialist by your definition could justify global genocide under that philosophy quite easily.  

As in most things, if you look at everything involved in a choice not just the choice or just the reprocussions then a choice is more morally informed.

rjshae

rjshae

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5058 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

In short, I find that people, virtually regardless of their philosophy, can find ways to justify almost any act. It's both a source of great endurance and a fatal flaw in our character. But at least it makes for interesting drama.

• Luridis likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: magic-users, requirements, request

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users