I have never written in a forum before, so please pardon any mistakes I may make here.

I am a monk (a real one) and have played some games in the past and enjoyed them.  I saw this project Eternity and donated to its completion because it seems like the type of game I used to enjoy.  I read your updates and see that you are at a stage in development where a request may still be taken into consideration.  

Could you make it possible to play and win the game without employing a magic-user?

I am able to play games only occasionally and I find remembering spells and how to use them difficult from session to session (as opposed to simple slashing/stabbing weapons).  Another reason for the request is that my superiors don't care much for computer games in general, but a computer game that forces one to use magic (which in real life, always has ties to the diabolic) they would simply not allow.  I would get in trouble if they catch me, for sure.

Thank you for reading my post and perhaps considering my request.

PS:  If you have a place in the game where Gregorian-style chant would be an appropriate addition, my abbey would probably let you record them during their prayers (we sing in both English and Latin).  It is St Michael's Abbey, not far from your offices.

• Like 5

Moved to Project Eternity discussions :)

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I just want to mention that the game is a work of fiction. Using diabolic magic in a game is not the same as using diabolic magic in real life, just as killing in a video game is not the same as killing in real life. I suppose that's why games are so popular in the first place. If I had committed even a fraction of all the cruel and gruesome stuff my game characters have committed, I would consider stabbing myself to death with a pen knife, thus sending my soul to a well-deserved eternal vacation in hell in some pit, filled with flaming worms up to its nostrils.

To summarize, I find it very hard to believe that doing evil things in a video game makes you a less virtuous person.

I was totally unexpecting such a unique request angle from the OP. Points for you, sir!

I don't know if anyone but the devs can answer your question for sure, but I would imagine you'd find certain objectives very difficult (which is possibly an understatement) but not entirely impossible.

As I read your second sentence, I thought you were going to suggest ways to improve the Monk class in the game. :)  By all means, feel free to contribute in that area too.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Can't you just make a lawful good monk character and show your superiors than even in the cyberworld you're fighting the good fight? Or would they just be jelly that the cleric-types in the games actually get to manifest the powers of the gods they're believing in? :V

On a more serious note i definitely wasn't expecting to see a request like this, nor do i think i'll see something similar in my remaining internet-browsing life lol. Playing without magic was possible in the older games but it made for extremely annoying and hard situations, i think PE will work in a similar way.

• Like 2

Out of the many forums I've visited over the years, this has to be the most "unique" post I've ever seen...  :p

But besides magic, for which Heresiarch puts forth a very valid argument (if your order isn't okay with fictional game magic, are they okay with fictional game murder?), what about your character supporting followers of other gods in the PE world? There will be factions. There will be multiple religions. There will be cross-purposes and cross-roads among all those factors.

And keep in mind that PE, as Obsidian has reiterated, will not have clear concepts of "good" or "evil" alignments. Honestly, I think you'll have a problem with this and this game isn't for you.

• Like 2

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

The developers have said that P:E is designed to support as broad a range of character concepts as possible, you don't need to bring any companions if you don't want to, you can build your own party entirely as you wish, and you can even play the game solo. That certainly means that you can play without any spellcasters in your party.

However, they have also said that every class will have some special abilities powered by the strength of their soul. This could fall under a broader definition of magic, even if no actual spells or infernal beings are involved.

I also wonder what your abbot would think about the metaphysics and theology in P:E, what with all the metempsychosis and stuff...

• Like 2

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

I'm not going to say the difference of reality and fiction. Just one thing, if you don't want the diabolic spell, you can just ignore any wizard or other spelll caster classes characters, and make a character which you can define into a personality that won't violate your rules, only get the companions that non-magic classes(Although it will be more difficult). Also, if you able to, you can just do solo. I don't think it's a good idea to get the unique request in the game, As it's not maked only for one kind of person(if it takes offence, I appologize).

And the suggestion, however, it's real awesome, I would like to heard those holy song kinds when I was walking in the cathedral, or when the priests cast divine spells. :yes:

• Like 2

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

Thank you all for your comments.

I realize actions done in games are not the same as real life.  However, consider that a person’s character (in real life) is a product of choices.  Although in-game choices result only in fictional actions, nevertheless, I believe (since all choices exercise the will) they still contribute to our character, for good or for ill—although probably not enough to influence a person in reality, if they are psychologically stable.  I consider myself psychologically stable and so feel no qualms about in-game killing bad guys.

In any case, the question of employing magic (as far as my superiors are concerned) is not so much a matter of its actual influence in the game, or even on me, but rather, my superiors’ pre-existing attitude toward magic and playing games in general—as well as the mood they happen to be in at the moment (all of which tend to be negative).  Under this aspect, killing game characters or belonging to an in-game cult probably wouldn’t sit well with them either, as Heresiarch and Leo rightly pointed out.  (and they would probably be alarmed that I am agreeing with a “Heresiarch” :no: )

However, I am under no obligation to inform my superiors about such details, and so I will simply avoid the issue by not talking about it around them.

The more pressing reason for my request, to be honest, is that I wouldn’t be comfortable with a game where I needed to remember a lot of details about spell effects or have to constantly look them up.  I don’t have much time to play games and would like to spend the time actually playing, rather than looking up limitations and deciding what to cast.  I know that is enjoyable for many gamers, but not for me.  If I can play the game and win without being slowed down by my poor memory, it would be more fun for me and I would finish it.

Is there no one else out there who would like the ability to play the game using limited-magic if you wanted to?

• Like 1

I realize actions done in games are not the same as real life.  However, consider that a person’s character (in real life) is a product of choices.  Although in-game choices result only in fictional actions, nevertheless, I believe (since all choices exercise the will) they still contribute to our character, for good or for ill—although probably not enough to influence a person in reality, if they are psychologically stable. 

Are you sure you're not a Buddhist monk? That sounds like a very karmically-informed attitude. ;)

The devs have also said there's going to be an Easy mode for players who aren't that into overcoming tough combat challenges. Between that and and an all-non-magical party, I think you ought to be fairly well served.

That said, there are other games out there that don't have any magic in them at all. I'm looking forward to Wasteland 2 and Forsaken Fortress meself...

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

It certainly should be possible - I believe that at the very least its been stated that the game should be just abotu compleable by a singel character, so if that single character isn't a wizard then it should be fine.

Out of interest, what would be the view on the other spellcasting classes other than wizard - Clerics with their divine spells from their deity, Chanters with their strange music based thing or Ciphers with their psychic-esque powers? Druids (possibly?) commanding nature etc. All lumped in with the wizard, or would, say, Chanters be more acceptable?

I'm an Indian eremit guru without a thread on me body and who eats me own poo-poo, can I please have the option to have a party that do not have belongings at all, including clothing?

Also, I want holy effects from rare excrements.  As a coprophagist, I prefer the finest lark droppings simmered in water buffalo dung.

• Like 1

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I'm an Indian eremit guru without a thread on me body and who eats me own poo-poo, can I please have the option to have a party that do not have belongings at all, including clothing?

Also, I want holy effects from rare excrements.  As a coprophagist, I prefer the finest lark droppings simmered in water buffalo dung.

play monk.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

At some point i'll probably do a runthrough as a puritan paladin, who despises magic and such devilry not born of the divine, it will probably ramp up the difficulty of the game but i'd be in favour of such a runthrough being viable.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

No offense, but I don't see a particular need to design the game in order not to offend the religious beliefs of one person. There are other games out there from which to choose. Try Wasteland 2 or such.

P.S. The moral panic over D&D permanently burned out my interest in placating the religious groups over gaming. If we let this one slip through, then more demands are sure to follow. Just... no.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

No offense, but I don't see a particular need to design the game in order not to offend the religious beliefs of one person. There are other games out there from which to choose. Try Wasteland 2 or such.

P.S. The moral panic over D&D permanently burned out my interest in placating the religious groups over gaming. If we let this one slip through, then more demands are sure to follow. Just... no.

Did you ever see the film "Mazes and Monsters" (1982) with a very young looking Tom Hanks as a roleplay-addicted college teen? Not a great IMDB score by any means, but it came about from all the negative press D&D received around that time. It's a crying shame there was so much misunderstanding back then. I'm just grateful it was able to withstand the test of time.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Did you ever see the film "Mazes and Monsters" (1982) with a very young looking Tom Hanks as a roleplay-addicted college teen? Not a great IMDB score by any means, but it came about from all the negative press D&D received around that time. It's a crying shame there was so much misunderstanding back then. I'm just grateful it was able to withstand the test of time.

Yes I did. The fact that some of the most decent people I ever knew were gamers flew in the face of all that nonsense. But it did leave me deeply skeptical about organized religion.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."