Chris Avellone Plays Arcanum  

542 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see Chris play Arcanum?

• Let's Play Document/Blog
    • 10 minute Let's Play YouTube video bites
    • Streamed on Twitch
    • Format doesn't matter to me, just enjoy it

Well the entire point is to get his feedback, either post or current. If it was all about the game, we could go look anywhere on youtube or vimeo or whatever. 

A picture lp could work, but it wouldn't be nearly as exciting if he wasn't either riffing on it, or talking out loud the thoughts going through his head while he plays it.

Well the entire point is to get his feedback, either post or current. If it was all about the game, we could go look anywhere on youtube or vimeo or whatever. 

A picture lp could work, but it wouldn't be nearly as exciting if he wasn't either riffing on it, or talking out loud the thoughts going through his head while he plays it.

I've always had the impression that he is a good writer and usually those don't have a problem with writing down the thoughts that go through their head.

I voted the fourth option "format doesn't matter to me, just enjoy it". Playing Arcanum should be an enjoyable experience and not feel like a chore so I would prefer him to just play the game at his own leisure and then to provide a summary (either written or video) of his thoughts once finished. It would be interesting to see a video of both Chris Avellone and Tim Cain having an in-depth discussion about the game.

• Like 3

A live stream might be too taxing on Chris' busy schedule.

OTOH, a blog would allow him to play the game at his own pace and post updates whenever he encounters something interesting. An occasional youtube video providing some highlights might be ok as well, but it would be a waste of time to record every single minute of the playthrough.

Why there is no "I don't give a ****" option? Are people on this forum so socially dysfunctional that they waste time watching how someone other plays a game?

Yeah, because it's so much more socially dysfunctional and time wasting to watch someone play Arcanum than it is to play Arcanum, or even to watch whatever it is that you watch for entertainment. /sarcasm

Seriously, accusing these people of being socially dysfunctional because of what they enjoy watching? You're spending your time on the forum of a game that doesn't even exist yet, reading a topic that apparently doesn't even interest you, and even taking the time to comment just to say what a waste of time it is. wow, the lack of self-awareness astounds me.

• Like 7

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Why there is no "I don't give a ****" option? Are people on this forum so socially dysfunctional that they waste time watching how someone other plays a game?

Yeah, because it's so much more socially dysfunctional and time wasting to watch someone play Arcanum than it is to play Arcanum, or even to watch whatever it is that you watch for entertainment. /sarcasm

Seriously, accusing these people of being socially dysfunctional because of what they enjoy watching? You're spending your time on the forum of a game that doesn't even exist yet, reading a topic that apparently doesn't even interest you, and even taking the time to comment just to say what a waste of time it is. wow, the lack of self-awareness astounds me.

Yes it is dysfunctional, watching someone who you don't even know, come on. Playing games or watching good entertaining programs is not. And I don't think that I wasted time posting here, I hope that some of the people (or even one) who posted on this 5 pages or was interested in this "event" will think: "The hell I'm doing" and will stop with behavior that gave RPG gamers such a bad reputation. That will be all from me on this topic.

Well, it's not my cup of tea, but it's certainly no more dysfunctional or time wasting than watching, for example, some person you don't know and will never meet playing golf or tennis on tv. You just think it's pathetic because of notions you've been socially and culturally engrained with. What's the actual difference?

Your arbitrary lines of what is and what isn't a waste of time or socially dysfunctional are based entirely on your own interests and preconceived biases.

"Forsooth, methinks you are no ordinary talking chicken!"

-Protagonist, Baldur's Gate

Yes it is dysfunctional, watching someone who you don't even know, come on. Playing games or watching good entertaining programs is not. And I don't think that I wasted time posting here, I hope that some of the people (or even one) who posted on this 5 pages or was interested in this "event" will think: "The hell I'm doing" and will stop with behavior that gave RPG gamers such a bad reputation. That will be all from me on this topic.

Good.

• Like 3

I can wager that one have to be dysfunctional in order to fail to understand concept of "Let's Play X". 

Anyhoo, i vote for the "Let's play" on Youtube.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

youtube LP FTW!

This will allow for his live commentary on Arcanum and also talk about ideas he'd like to bring into PE.

But 10 minutes isn't really much... nobody plays an RPG for 10 minutes and quits... 20-30 minutes chunks are better.

It would also be great if Tim occasionally showed up and teased/joked Avellone about his game choices.

And maybe give him some tips as well, which would translate in a more interesting path (for LP purposes).

just wondering... what would the best setup be?

100% game screen, or a hybrid setup (game screen + webcam) similar to what Adam did with IWD?

I think I would prefer the last. His reaction must be captured for all Eternity.

Edited by hideo kuze

I think we'd get better analysis in writing than over youtube. So I'm siding with a blog.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Game In The Game

Text may be a natural, economic communication, and,  video highlights convey the 'smell of victory in the morning'.

After reading / learning about the options,

my focus drifts from personal preferences of presentation to the implied MCA Time Management Simulation. Ruu-nn Chris run!

sea:

sup drog

(also tell Chris to install the unofficial Arcanum patch, and maybe the high-res patches as well)

I used the drog patch, high-res and the GOG install with an XP OS.  

Had no time wasted on game breaking technical problems.

Of course, burdened with this tyranny of choices, individual mileage may vary, WIN options having progressed to *8*.

Suggesting the more time playing Arcanum and the less time gaming WINDOWS might enhance any route of 'Let's play'.

Veraxus:

I found the Arcanum MUCH more enjoyable once I replaced the music with the Fallout soundtrack. ...

Funny, Arcanum may have been the first game since FO 1+2 that I did not turn off the music!

Found Ben Houge's strings as space / time enhancing as the Mark Morgan soundtracks.

Yeah, Mark Morgan was a good ambient choice.  ;)

pseudonymous:

Do you really want to sit through 20 hours of MCA whining about harm spamming?  I don't.

Feel your pain.  ;)   How about appropriate mixed media,drog patch, going tech via Charismatic Gunslinger?

And, ah, in karmic reciprocity,

does MCA playing Arcanum mean that I *should* load my vintage boxed copy of Planescape Torment or go GOG?  :ermm:

4too

After thinking about this further. I don't really care either way whether it's a blog, video, or stream. The point for me was for MCA to play the game, think about a few design ideas, give his feedback, and ultimately allow PE and future games to benefit from the experience. Changed my vote.

• Like 1

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I'm assuming he's only playing at off-hours, outside his 12-hour workdays. That's right, don't sacrifice a minute from PE! *whipcrack* HOP TO IT. MORE WRITIN'.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)