Chris Avellone Plays Arcanum  

542 members have voted

1. 1. How would you like to see Chris play Arcanum?

• Let's Play Document/Blog
    • 10 minute Let's Play YouTube video bites
    • Streamed on Twitch
    • Format doesn't matter to me, just enjoy it

I don't mind too much whichever way, something video-based would be fun for at least parts of the game though. Kind of a tough cookie since, while I love Arcanum a lot, there are a lot of parts that won't necessarily be mindblowing fun to watch, especially when a new player plays it.

Perhaps Tim can give some good pointers to smooth the experience a bit.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

I voted Let's Play/Documentary first. But then changed to Twitch/Stream after reading some posts.

Uploading youtube videos and such, I don't know, how fast internet does Obsidian have and how fast does it take to upload? Some ~100 MB for a 10-15 minute video?

Twitch would be: Start game+Record and then it's online (and recorded~saved on Twitch). It'd be less time consuming. 

I can understand that some people prefer text format, but why would anyone prefer youtube over twitch? Twitch gives you at least a couple hour gameplay sessions that are saved as videos and later uploaded on youtube anyway where you can watch them at your leisure. How can people prefer weekly(daily?) 10-minute pieces to that - I don't get.

you convinced me.

changed my vote.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I'd prefer video, not too long segments. WIth commentary.

Make it good so I can find the resolve to play the game myself.

Tried twice but couldn't get past the initial arrgh this looks horrible and old, the gameplay is retarded -stage.

--

PS. voted for youtube as I don't know what twitch is. Might be better but not voting it in case it's stupid.

Edited by Jarmo

I went with the Youtube vids.

Of course need commentary from MCA, not just playing through... (must like your playthrough of IWD2 I assume).

10 min is way too few though... should be bigger per "episode"

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

You want it to be over in episode 2 or something? :p

(Not that I have played Arcanum yet so know if it's hard, waiting on GOG 0_o)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Document for me. Easy to read in my lunch hour (hour ha! you're having a laugh), whilst I can't watch YouTube from work machines.

Know that feel bro.  I feel your pain :(

I can understand that some people prefer text format, but why would anyone prefer youtube over twitch? Twitch gives you at least a couple hour gameplay sessions that are saved as videos and later uploaded on youtube anyway where you can watch them at your leisure. How can people prefer weekly(daily?) 10-minute pieces to that - I don't get.

Not everyone is living in optimum conditions to sit down and watch youtube videos for an entire hour.  Work, school, family, slow internet, some people just can't do it.  10-minute intervals works perfect for me (sort of). If you're complaining because you will have to make 6 mouse clicks in an hour to watch the same amount of footage on youtube; please, tell me more of your first world problems   :biggrin:

You realise you can fast-forward youtube vids right? So if you only have 10 min, the next time you go to the 10:00 mark.

And longer vids would indeed be nicer for most, and less vids overall to upload. I only see wins.

But... tell me of your first world problems preventing you to skip to where you left ;)

^

Voting YouTube with some nice commentary, and no twitch.tv chat tards. However, 10 minutes sounds a bit short and unnecessary, you realise YouTube lifted that limit years ago? You should do 30 minute segments at least, not hundreds of 10 minute clips.

Edited by Bloodloss

As I just could pick one, I choose the blog, but I more prefer the Update Style - Blog + Youtube, so we can have everything :yes: .

PS: have to say it's bitter harder if not using the S/L method in Arcanum, as you may get killed only by your own critical miss.(For several times, I chopped myself into pieces...)

I have struggle to understand a Universe that allows the destruction of an entire planet. Which will win this endless conflict - destruction or creation? The only thing I know for certain is never to place your faith entirely on one side. Play the middle if you want to survive.

Everyone else is a fanatic. I am Gauldoth Half-Dead. Your savior.

The most important thing for me is that I don't have to stream it live.  One: because I'm a busy student that wants to watch an entire Arcanum playthrough in small pieces, and Two: because my internet connection is horrible.  Even youtube doesn't work for me now because it forces you to play the videos as they are loading (or it simply stops loading), regardless of your ability to download that fast.  I still chose Youtube because I can use keepvid to store the game sessions and watch them later.

Edited by Hombre Gato

Not everyone is living in optimum conditions to sit down and watch youtube videos for an entire hour.  Work, school, family, slow internet, some people just can't do it.  10-minute intervals works perfect for me (sort of). If you're complaining because you will have to make 6 mouse clicks in an hour to watch the same amount of footage on youtube; please, tell me more of your first world problems   :biggrin:

You do know, that if you close your browser while the video is running it will resume playing from that same spot next time you go to that page? So an hour long video gives you an option of either watching the whole thing in one sitting or dividing it into whatever number of segments you like.

And what I'm saying - they most likely won't upload all 6 parts at once if they choose to go 10-minute long route. So this just removes that abovementioned option.

Honestly, I would love to sit and watch Chris play all of Arcanum and listen to his comments (and woooo's), but I can't spend that much time. I didn't even get a chance to watch the whole D&D session they did because 1) sound problems 2) it was too long.

Speaking of which, please use a decent microphone this time! No technical issues!

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I'd prefer it in some kind of video let's play chunks, whether on YouTube or elsewhere. Essentially, so I don't have to feel like I have to be sitting down to watch at a certain time for a certain number of hours.

A text Let's Play with screenshots here in the forum (or elsewhere) would also be pretty cool, imo. Or heck, maybe even both ... one sort of complementary to the other. ;)

....I guess it doesn't matter a whole lot to me, as long as the timing ability to watch/read it is flexible.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You realise you can fast-forward youtube vids right? So if you only have 10 min, the next time you go to the 10:00 mark.

And longer vids would indeed be nicer for most, and less vids overall to upload. I only see wins.

But... tell me of your first world problems preventing you to skip to where you left ;)

You do know, that if you close your browser while the video is running it will resume playing from that same spot next time you go to that page? So an hour long video gives you an option of either watching the whole thing in one sitting or dividing it into whatever number of segments you like.

And what I'm saying - they most likely won't upload all 6 parts at once if they choose to go 10-minute long route. So this just removes that abovementioned option.

Sorry, wasn't trying to troll or anything.  The 'first world problems' thing was just a joke :)

As far as resuming the video where I left off, easier said than done.  The internet that I am forced to use is absurdly slow, you would not believe.  A 3 minute video takes anywhere from 10-45 minutes to load all the way, and it often times it doesn't work at all if I try to skip part of the video.  Maybe I've better off voting for the blog =P

#2: 10 minute Let's Play YouTube video bites

With vulgar language for my amusement. :biggrin:

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Only one way to play Arcanum, in top hat and tails, while squinting through a monocle and twirling ones mustaches.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!