There's no mention of feats on the Wiki yet. I'm hoping/guessing it's something that will be implemented in one form or another. In the meantime, let's discuss feats we'd like to see in Project Eternity. I'll start. (And I'm using 3E terms here).

Dutch Courage [General Feat]

- Prerequisite: Thug feat.

- Quaff an ale and gain a temporary +1 bonus vs fear, +1 Taunt, +1 damage.

- Penalty: -1 AC, -1 Concentration, -1 Intelligence

- Quaff wine or spirits for a +2 or +3 respective bonus (and -2 or -3 penalty).

- Need to rename "Dutch" to something more game specific.

- Multiple usage subject to intoxication.

You know anyone can get drunk, right? The Dutch aren't particularly known for their drinking excesses, so far as I'm aware (being of Irish descent, I openly challenge you to a drinking contest.) I hear more about Tulips in regard to the Nederlands than alcohol. You can't make any liquor or beer or wine out of a Tulip, can you? Besides, not everyone is an angry drunk. Some people are happy drunks, some people are funny drunks, some people are stupid drunks, some people are horny drunks, etc.

In the context of choosing thuggery as one of your character's traits, alcohol can be used for short-term gains (i.e. fear, taunt, damage) so long as you accept the short-term penalties (AC, concentration, intelligence). I used the word "Dutch" because that's what it's known as in the real world. Some interesting facts here.

Also, as was pointed out in another thread, there wasn't much you could really do with alcohol in previous games, apart from the odd fed-ex quest, or intoxicate your characters and walk it off.

PS. I may have accepted your drinking challenge years ago, but I'm sure I'd fail miserably at it now, and we'd only end up hugging and slurring our brotherly love for one another.

Don't make this weird. :unsure:

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

I'm not trying to get terribly off-topic here, but I'd like to see a lot more use from things like alcohol, now that you mention it. Molotovs? Sure, but how 'bout the ability to simply chuck a bottle of liquor at an enemy, shattering it all over him and surrounding foes (or on the ground)?

That "piddly" 3-damage flame cantrip your Wizard has had since level 0 isn't looking so piddly anymore. 8)

I like versatility like that. "Is this bottle fragile? Yes. Could enemies be soaked in alcohol? Yes." Simplicity at its finest. ^_^

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Heh turn drunken master into Drunke Wizard? Buncha bottles hanging off his belt for when he wants to use some combust-like-cantrip. That is extremely silly and you could totally do it in a PnP game and I like it :p

• Like 2

Def Con: kills owls dead

Traits/Talents/Feats/Perks should be a note for what you do in the world, of course choosing a trait at character creation (+Cultural Background) sounds fun.

What I'm hinting towards is more, depending on how you play, you get perks. Achievements in a way, except they are tied to game mechanics. If you Achieve "You defeated the 30 bandits at Salsa Vale" you get a perk. If you instead achieve "You avoided the 30 bandits" you get another perk. That's what "Achievements" should be, in my opinion. Not something that brags "I got achievement yo" but something that can be used in-game. It doesn't have to be achievements for "Yo you took a step with a step and did that cool thing!" and seconds later "Woah! YOu got another step by a step!!!". Achievements shouldn't be around every corner, but where they make sense.

So, taking down the 30 bandits you get the "Menacing" perk, against Bandits only. Faction-Based Perks depending on "Reputation" with Faction. That'd make Reputation an "Experience" as well, and the type of experience you get could be representative. One might get "Menacing" perk, whilst the other one gets the "Shadows" perk, meaning that the bandits have no clue as to who you are (yet) which gives you both the element of surprise as well as an easier way to sneak by them.

• Like 1

It would make sense to have a range of options that affect buying and selling. Charisma / Race / Reputation / Merchant Background / Appraise skill and so on.

Reputation could be a major factor to the point where reputable merchants refuse to do business, leaving you no option but to deal with shadier sorts.

As long as there are about equal numbers of merchants at either end of the spectrum.

Edit:

Also Quest Talents. If you become a known hero within a certain faction, the discounts could be "handsome". :yes:

Edited by TRX850
  • Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

@Osvir: I do love the challenge perk bonuses from killing enemy types and doing other kinda weird things they had in New Vegas. Also like the quest based unique perks they did in all the fallout games and love that Sawyer mentioned they'll be in PE. Definitely would not want them to be the bulk of the games perks or heavily dictate play styles or anything, just quirky fun bonuses to act almost as a trophy for how you handled a quest or something. That kinda systems better used as flavor then the main bulk of character advancement.

Def Con: kills owls dead

Talents are our equivalent of feats.  In addition to gaining them through leveling (currently every three levels), you can also gain talents (often unique) from quests and story/NPC interactions.

Expert excrement expeditor here I come.

Edited by ravenshrike

"You know, there's more to being an evil despot than getting cake whenever you want it"

"If that's what you think, you're DOING IT WRONG."

Favoured Spell [Arcane Talent]

- Per encounter use

- The wizard pre-nominates one offensive/defensive spell per spell level, which is automatically quickened.

Using 3.5ed as a guide, a 5th level wizard might nominate:

L1 - Chromatic Orb

L2 - Web

L3 - Fireball

Then he/she may cast ONE of these as if it were quickened, i.e. zero casting time, per encounter. Other castings of the same spell during that encounter are as normal, as are all other favoured spells. This does not preclude the use of other meta-magic feats.

:sorcerer:

• Like 2

I'd use that spell, even if it cost me a spell slot.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

This feat I can see being available at the start and gained via in-game actions. Bounties are likely still being placed on outlaws, so you can make money off them, but without knowing there's a bounty how do you know what body parts to collect from whom as proof? You need to know about the bounty somehow to get the money; wanted posters are one way and this is another.

Bounty Hunter

Acquired at game start or by collecting five bounties

- Guards, military members, and informants gain a "Bounty" conversation topic and will recall one active bounty in the region

You could also unlock extra tiers by collecting more bounties, stacking the following bonuses.

- Improves relationship with all law enforcement bodies

- Grants Intimidating and Opportunist points to reputation (since OE wants your reputation to reflect your behavior; bounty hunters can be scary)

As a starting Feat, this would allow easier access to bounty hunting as a start-of-game revenue/XP source.

• Like 2

Dutch courage

noun, Sometimes Offensive.

courage inspired by facing the horrors of a dutch oven, and living to speak of it.

Origin:
1805–15

Gameplay use:

Character becomes immune to poisonous gas for a short period.

Edited by jivex5k
  • Like 1

I had this idea for a talent ladder that would provide the equivalent of a spell-casting multi-class enhancement. Basically you're giving up a series of talent-like class enhancements in exchange for gradual learning how to cast spells like a wizard or priest:

• Dabbler -- you learn the rudiments of magic. This gives you the ability to cast low level spells off a scroll of that class. You also learn to cast first level spells as the chosen caster class, advancing at the rate of one caster level per four class levels. Requirement: minimum ability score for caster class.
  • Novitiate -- somebody has taken you under their wings and instructed you in proper magic fundamentals. This gives you the ability to use basic magical items and to cast mid-level spells off a scroll. You also learn to cast first and second level spells as a caster class, advancing at the rate of one caster level per three class levels past first level. Requirement: Dabbler talent.
  • Adept -- your skills have advanced to the point where you are a competent caster, although not quite up to the level of a dedicated member of the class. This gives you the ability to use magical items allowed by the class. You learn to cast 1st-4th level spells as a caster class, advancing at the rate of one caster level per two class levels past second level. Requirement: Apprentice talent and the ability to cast two different spells.
  • Invoker -- you now have the skill level of a dedicated spell caster. You learn to cast spells as the caster class, advancing at four levels less than your net class level. You can now craft items as a spell caster of the same class. Requirement: Adept.

This incremental method is intended to reflect the lengthy process of mastering a spell-casting ability; something that I don't think is served proper justice with the D&D multi-class approach.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

^ To supplement that, it might be prudent to have the multi-class spell pool be a specific sub-set of all the other classes' spell pools. In other words, if you can cast 3rd level spells, then, being not an inherent Wizard/Druid/Priest/Magic-person, you should probably be limited to only a certain subset of Wizard's 3rd-level spells, and Druid's 3rd-level spells, etc.

Even if it's only that you have to pick your available spells and simply can't pick all of them. Obviously, in P:E, however grimoires work would have to be factored in (if they decide the spell sets immediately available to you, then maybe they're slightly limited in some way, or you can't use all grimoires available to the other classes, etc.)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

^ To supplement that, it might be prudent to have the multi-class spell pool be a specific sub-set of all the other classes' spell pools. In other words, if you can cast 3rd level spells, then, being not an inherent Wizard/Druid/Priest/Magic-person, you should probably be limited to only a certain subset of Wizard's 3rd-level spells, and Druid's 3rd-level spells, etc.

Even if it's only that you have to pick your available spells and simply can't pick all of them. Obviously, in P:E, however grimoires work would have to be factored in (if they decide the spell sets immediately available to you, then maybe they're slightly limited in some way, or you can't use all grimoires available to the other classes, etc.)

I read somewhere that it was confirmed that there won't be multi or dual classes.

Well, I was not aware of that. So thank you. However, my notion of limitation still potentially applies to any instance in which class skills can overlap, even if it's not technically a full-on multi/dual-class sytem. Just for what it's worth. 8P

I read somewhere that it was confirmed that there won't be multi or dual classes.

What?!?!? I just checked the wiki and it says there multiclassing is still bring considered.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

What?!?!? I just checked the wiki and it says there multiclassing is still bring considered.

from what I understand it's still to early to determine. But it's more likely going to be no than yes.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

They wouldn't necessarily need to implement multiclassing if they introduced something like a "sabbatical" level. Basically you're taking a break from your normal class progression in order to attain basic proficiency in something else (like spellcasting, combat specialization, thievery, and so forth). Thenceforth, you improve in that proficiency at a reduced rate while progressing in your normal class.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

They wouldn't necessarily need to implement multiclassing if they introduced something like a "sabbatical" level. Basically you're taking a break from your normal class progression in order to attain basic proficiency in something else (like spellcasting, combat specialization, thievery, and so forth). Thenceforth, you improve in that proficiency at a reduced rate while progressing in your normal class.

That may be true, but I think that 3.xE/Pathfinder Multiclassing just works great. And multiclassing seems easier to keep up with, YMMV.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Well, if they DO implement multi-classing, it'll probably only be to make sure the game stays... classy. 8)

• Like 1