The difference between insanity and genius is measured by success. The problem is, Osvir is such a Peter Molyneux wannabe, that the full extent of his brilliance can never be translated into one game.

I really miss these kind of people in the video game industry.

Did you just say we need more people like Peter Molyneux? Now I really have heard everything.

Syndicate Wars, Dungeon Keeper I & II, Populous, Black & White I & II, Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Fable I...

No, I hardly think you've heard anything at all.

• Like 1

That's just plain good old-fashioned stupid. Not to mention moderately-highly sexist. "Females can't be paladins! Males can't be priests! Even though in the world's monotheistic religions for the past 1970ish years women were excluded from priesthood! Without exception!"

Now, it's true that in the very early Christian church women could be religious leaders, but that was before the egalitarian teachings of Christ and books of the New Testament that reflected these things were banned by the Roman Empire to turn Christianity into another tool of power in place of the old gods of Greco-Roman belief.

By the by, Amazon (well, Amazones to put it proper,) was the name given by the Greeks to a semi-mythical tribe/culture of central Eurasia (for which there is archaeological evidence in the form of burials of women which included weapons and armor, traditionally the burial trappings of a fighter, who is traditionally male.) Properly speaking, it refers to a specific cultural group, not a generic term for women warriors, who were exceedingly rare throughout history. In the history of Japan's samurai, only four female members of the Samurai caste/cass are recorded as having engaged in open warfare. While they were trained from youth in martial skills, it was more for self-defense/defense of family honor, they were still expected to just accept their arranged marriage and carry on the lineage as a mother/homemaker/proper Confucian bride subservient to her superiors (men.)

And ignoring the fact that Obsidian has already stated there won't be binary Paragon/Renegade Good/Evil alignment scales (this new quoting function makes it impossible to add a quote after posting,) Osvir, Reputation =/= morality. If you slaughtered a band of slavers you would have a negative reputation with them. By your logic, exterminating slavers is evil, because negative reputation = evil.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 4

Now, it's true that in the very early Christian church women could be religious leaders, but that was before the egalitarian teachings of Christ and books of the New Testament that reflected these things were banned by the Roman Empire to turn Christianity into another tool of power in place of the old gods of Greco-Roman belief.

Women are not allowed to speak out in a temple, but must place themselves in submission. - Saint Paul

One of the chosen who was blessed with Fire.

And ignoring the fact that Obsidian has already stated there won't be binary Paragon/Renegade Good/Evil alignment scales (this new quoting function makes it impossible to add a quote after posting,) Osvir, Reputation =/= morality. If you slaughtered a band of slavers you would have a negative reputation with them. By your logic, exterminating slavers is evil, because negative reputation = evil.

No. Slaughtering a band of slavers gets a negative reputation with them, even for them they might view you as evil. The slaves you saved, thankful and happy. The faction that you saved the slaves for, happy as well. A third (or fourth) faction might hear the rumors/the reputation, and think your actions were a little bit unnecessary and/or gung-ho. 

Syndicate Wars, Dungeon Keeper I & II, Populous, Black & White I & II, Theme Hospital, Theme Park, Fable I...

No, I hardly think you've heard anything at all.

Wait, are we counting Black & White 2 and Fable 1 as Molyneux's good games now?

By the by, Amazon (well, Amazones to put it proper,) was the name given by the Greeks to a semi-mythical tribe/culture of central Eurasia (for which there is archaeological evidence in the form of burials of women which included weapons and armor, traditionally the burial trappings of a fighter, who is traditionally male.) Properly speaking, it refers to a specific cultural group, not a generic term for women warriors, who were exceedingly rare throughout history. In the history of Japan's samurai, only four female members of the Samurai caste/cass are recorded as having engaged in open warfare. While they were trained from youth in martial skills, it was more for self-defense/defense of family honor, they were still expected to just accept their arranged marriage and carry on the lineage as a mother/homemaker/proper Confucian bride subservient to her superiors (men.)

Incidentally, Byzantine records of the first Crusade include mentions of a few armed and armoured women in the armies as they went east. Unfortunately, they do not say whether or not they ever fought.

Edited by Tamerlane
jcod0.png

I hear they dug up some Viking graves in Britain recently and discovered to their surprise that a good many of the warrior graves -- the ones with weapons and shields in them -- held female skeletons. So it looks like the Swedes had their womens' lib thing going already back then.

I have a project. It's a tabletop RPG. It's free. It's a work in progress. Find it here: www.brikoleur.com

Yes women had the right to divorce, to own the property they'd brought to the marriage and had absolute rule of a household. In many ways viking women had a much better life than their southern counterparts, their are quite a few impressive female individuals in the sagas and histories, most notable was probably Aud the Deep Minded.

Edited by Nonek

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Yes women had the right to divorce, to own the property they'd brought to the marriage and had absolute rule of a household. In many ways viking women had a much better life than their southern counterparts, their are quite a few impressive female individuals in the sagas and histories, most notable was probably Aud the Deep Minded.

To own the property they'd brought to the marriage? As in...? This is one of those [citation needed] moments. And I'm expecting the source of this "vikings were feminist egalitarians" thing is going to come from viking apologists/history revisionists who say they didn't rape or pillage or burn Britain and France on and off for centuries before finally settling down and invading.

Edited by AGX-17

To own the property they'd brought to the marriage? As in...? This is one of those [citation needed] moments. And I'm expecting the source of this "vikings were feminist egalitarians" thing is going to come from viking apologists/history revisionists who say they didn't rape or pillage or burn Britain and France on and off for centuries before finally settling down and invading.

The raping pillaging ones were those who were in their own society couldn't succeed. so they tried their luck on the sea. Overpopulation problems (due to success) led to the poorest seeking their fortunes elsewhere. (in raping and pillaging)

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

This is one of those [citation needed] moments. And I'm expecting the source of this "vikings were feminist egalitarians" thing is going to come from viking apologists/history revisionists who say they didn't rape or pillage or burn Britain and France on and off for centuries before finally settling down and invading.

The Hurstwic society gives the straight scoop on Norse women, sans apologetics. 

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Of course there's also that most fearsome of modern day viking women, Margaret Thatcher, hammer of the miners.

• Like 1

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

Ah, the Iron Lady herself!  *heart skips a beat*  Now that was a Lady who knew how to deal with rabble, be they unionized (non)workers or Argentinians.  :yes:

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/