Project Eternity Documentary

Haven't heard anything about the Project Eternity documentary that Feargus said they would be paying for out of their own pocket. Did they ever get onto a company to do it ?

I can't remember how far Double Fine's documentary started into the production process, but we'll be missing out on a lot of the pre-production work at this stage (which is arguably the most interesting IMO).

Would be nice if we could get an update on the status of the documentary or a simply 'yes it's coming' on that :)

• Like 1

++, really just want to voice my interest in seeing a documentary at some point. I suppose I can imagine the devs thinking "why the hell would anyone want to watch us just do work?", but I for one would love a glimpse inside the studio.

I came to the conclusion years ago that I never make statements about what people would or should be interested in when it comes to gaming or anything in life really. Our constant desire to see how things work or to understand the process behind something is one of things that makes us human.

So I don't think your request is weird at all :)

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

++, really just want to voice my interest in seeing a documentary at some point. I suppose I can imagine the devs thinking "why the hell would anyone want to watch us just do work?", but I for one would love a glimpse inside the studio.

It's already confirmed that they'll be making a documentary, the OP is concerned about during what stage of the development process filming will actually start :).
"What if a mid-life crisis is just getting halfway through the game and realising you put all your points into the wrong skill tree?"

I think the guys from gameinformer did a really fantastic job when they were covering the Elder Scrolls Skyrim. I just like their style. Although, arguably the guys who filmed the kickstarter for Double Fine's adventure game http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure?ref=live have a fun quirkiness that seems like it would mesh well with Obsidian sense of humor. I imagine the documentary will likely come on like 4-6 week intervals starting pretty soon if recent interviews and updates mean anything. Another thing I'm excited about, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that we paid for funding of a developer commentary in game as possibly an unlock-able reward in game. I also remember Josh mentioning he'd give us his input how long the game was based upon his play-through.

I'd love to have unlockable extras in the game (i.e. they unlock when you finish the main quest or something like that).

The Longest Journey, an adventure game, had an unlockable "Book of Secrets" which included concept art and voice-over outtakes.

It would be neat if on a second or third replay you could turn on commentaries for each character and/or area.

Of course, none of that is really necessary and the effort may be better spent elsewhere, but hey, so long as we're thinking wishful here... :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So...did they ever imply what type of documentary this would be? I don't recall.

eg, a serial type of documentary that occurs before game is released, or an hour long type doc film that ships with the game?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So...did they ever imply what type of documentary this would be? I don't recall.

eg, a serial type of documentary that occurs before game is released, or an hour long type doc film that ships with the game?

Not really to my memory, nope. I'd imagine it largely depends on cost vs. quality, they're spending their own money on this after all.