Update #38: Meet the Developers with Mark Bremerkamp, Lead Animator

Nice read. It is always great to get to know more about the guys making this game. :)

Next week Josh is planning to have another game mechanics update for you.

This scares me. It will either be very good, or it will suck horribly. And we have had too much horrible already. meh.

Oh come on, you can whine better than that. :p

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

It's sad how much I love seeing they'll have that in. Hope it means they have a lot more other stuff you rarely see in these games. That was probably my favorite part about ToEE, just the vast array of options compared to the rest of the DnD computer crossovers.

Yes. That's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw 1-h spears: TOEE, which had a staggering list of weapon choices - including semi rare weapons that you don't often see anymore in RPGs. Spiked chains, Ranseurs, Cleavers, Glaives, Staves and Rods that you can actually use as melee weapons....

Edited by Stun

It's sad how much I love seeing they'll have that in. Hope it means they have a lot more other stuff you rarely see in these games. That was probably my favorite part about ToEE, just the vast array of options compared to the rest of the DnD computer crossovers.

Yes. That's the first thing that popped into my head when I saw 1-h spears: TOEE, which had a staggering list of weapon choices - including semi rare weapons that you don't often see anymore in RPGs. Spiked chains, Ranseurs, Cleavers, Glaives, Staves and Rods that you can actually use as melee weapons....

I actually made a party in TOEE where all of my characters except my sorcerer had reach weapons. You could do it in that game, because of the enchant weapon feats and the fact that in turn based combat reach actually mattered.

Edited by forgottenlor

Well, about mechanics, I think the grimoire-cooldowns are interesting; health/stamina is interesting and a good counterbalance against lack of healing spells/resurrection, class resource management imbalance, and required resting; zonal locked encounter scaling with main campaign bounded scaling sounds great to me; back-loaded objective xp also sounds great to me*.

I wish Josh would get rid of the miss mechanic entirely to allow for far more varied and elegant defense solutions, though. ;)

Edit: Oh, Obsidian, please also take a look at dynamic encounters--especially patrols and migrations. :biggrin: I hope the engine can do that sort of thing!

*It's interesting to me that the people whining about objective xp firstly have very binary and simplistic thinking and secondly assume that noncombat options are always easier than combat. Rather, I'd say taking the combat path has always been easiest or the most direct route in any CRPG of this type. PS:T isn't necessarily an exception because you had to have specific character stats to even see certain dialogue options--if speech skills/stats in PE are going to be robust, then it stands to reason that players must still willingly choose those stats/whatever; likewise, since PE will have factions, you can't be friends with everyone. Obs already said that there's no pacifist path, so anyone who whines otherwise is just throwing a short-sighted tantrum.

Edited by Ieo

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Nice read. It is always great to get to know more about the guys making this game. :)

Next week Josh is planning to have another game mechanics update for you.

This scares me. It will either be very good, or it will suck horribly. And we have had too much horrible already. meh.

Oh come on, you can whine better than that. :p

Well, If it isn't dumbed down, then I guess I will hear your whining next week.

Pillars of Eternity Josh Sawyer's Quest: The Quest for Quests - an isometric fantasy stealth RPG with optional combat and no pesky XP rewards for combat, skill usage or exploration.

PoE is supposed to be a spiritual successor to Baldur's GateJosh Sawyer doesn't like the Baldur's Gate series (more) - PoE is supposed to reward us for our achievements

~~~~~~~~~~~

"Josh Sawyer created an RPG where always avoiding combat and never picking locks makes you a powerful warrior and a master lockpicker." -Helm, very critcal and super awesome RPG fan

"I like XP for things other than just objectives. When there is no rewards for combat or other activities, I think it lessens the reward for being successful at them." -Feargus Urquhart, OE CEO

"Didn’t like the fact that I don’t get XP for combat [...] the lack of rewards for killing creatures [in PoE] makes me want to avoid combat (the core activity of the game)" -George Ziets, Game Dev.

Initial attacks for the light spear (1h thrust) and the pike (2h thrust)

Oh, hello. Spear and shield (plus)? :biggrin:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Rejoice, no more monkey grip shaped hoops to jump through to be able to use one of the staples of ancient warfare (spear+shield)!

:yes:

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Initial attacks for the light spear (1h thrust) and the pike (2h thrust)

Oh, hello. Spear and shield (plus)? :biggrin:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Rejoice, no more monkey grip shaped hoops to jump through to be able to use one of the staples of ancient warfare (spear+shield)!

:yes:

Your quote reminded me of "Gladiator" for some reason. Hey Devs, any chance we can get a "net" for our fighters to use to entangle enemies? That would be pretty cool.

• Like 3

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

Alright Mark, you've already revealed the existence of both 1- and 2-handed spears. So the only important question remaining is:

Pollaxes?

Fixed. :p

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Always great to read updates with Mr. Bremerkamp's CV reading like a list of the some the best cRPGs of recent times though I'm sure some would argue against some of them.

Looking forward to the next update from our favourite heavily tattooed developer.

Cheers

- Project Eternity, Wasteland 2 and Torment: Tides of Numenera; quality cRPGs are back !

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100      3fe8e989e58997f400df78f317b41b50.jpg                            

One-handed spears? Wow, I actually may use a spear for the first time in a game...have never liked them two-handed.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

BG had some terrible weapon animations. Are there any games with good staff animations?

It's amazing what an aesthetic difference a simple slashing motion plus body posture can make for a given weapon. I play a particular class in an MMO for which there is an exclusive weapon; some people play the class only because they like the weapon. Problem is, I and a good number of other people never use that super-special exclusive weapon because the combat animations are terrible.

So I hope the weapon animations will be great. At least not super awkward. And if spears are getting love, I hope less popular melee weapons like staves will get some love too.

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Will we see more then 1 animation for attacks? For example if you do the same attack 3 times in a row you will "continue" to swing the weapon back and forth (just to give a example). Instead of having the character "reset" after each swing.

Will we have any special death animations? Enemies melting / exploding / burning to ash?

Do you do anything beside animate characters? Do you animate things like trees and so on also?

Will we see more then 1 animation for attacks? For example if you do the same attack 3 times in a row you will "continue" to swing the weapon back and forth (just to give a example). Instead of having the character "reset" after each swing.

Will we have any special death animations? Enemies melting / exploding / burning to ash?

Some of these are design-driven answers, so I'll answer a few.

We're starting out with one basic attack for each weapon type with variants as a lower priority. Making all of the weapon attacks unique/good is more important (IMO) than having variants. Also, a lot of our animation time is traditionally spent on creatures, and I think having a large bestiary is important. On Black Hound, we put a lot of effort into standard melee variations and I don't think it would have had as large of an impact as additional creatures/creature animations.

I'd like to have special death animations and that's something Dimitri, Mark, and I have discussed, but not in detail.

• Like 8

Some of these are design-driven answers, so I'll answer a few.

We're starting out with one basic attack for each weapon type with variants as a lower priority. Making all of the weapon attacks unique/good is more important (IMO) than having variants. Also, a lot of our animation time is traditionally spent on creatures, and I think having a large bestiary is important. On Black Hound, we put a lot of effort into standard melee variations and I don't think it would have had as large of an impact as additional creatures/creature animations.

I'd like to have special death animations and that's something Dimitri, Mark, and I have discussed, but not in detail.

Good and unique but simple animations--sounds good.

As for different death animations, so long as they're not slow-motion super-lit-up aurora-borealis screen-shaking, I'd be fine with it... (with option to turn off?) Usually these things are just so overdone in (esp console type) video games. :ermm:

OMG OMG OMG OMG! YEAHHHHHH. I'm going to be shooting fireballs up my enemies butt all day now. Smells toasty!

Death animations: do it! :)

Good and unique but simple animations--sounds good.

As for different death animations, so long as they're not slow-motion super-lit-up aurora-borealis screen-shaking, I'd be fine with it... (with option to turn off?) Usually these things are just so overdone in (esp console type) video games. :ermm:

Think more in terms of Fallout 1/2 instead of Fallout 3.

Edited by Hormalakh

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

My DXdiag:

I'm liking the sound of that. Just a few different types for specific damage types I think would be plenty. For example:

Slashing - cut off limbs

Bludgeoning - crush head down to neck

Piercing - Impale completely through torso

Firearm - Blow a visible hole completely through target

Fire - Incinerate to ashes (FO: NV laser style)

Cold - Freeze solid and shatter

Electricity - Convulse wildly while coursing with electricity

Acid - Melt down to puddle (FO: NV plasma style)

Poison - Choke and gag, convulsing, and collapse

obviously, I'm just spitballing of the top of my head here. :wowey:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I'm liking the sound of that. Just a few different types for specific damage types I think would be plenty. For example:

Slashing - cut off limbs

Bludgeoning - crush head down to neck

Piercing - Impale completely through torso

Firearm - Blow a visible hole completely through target

Fire - Incinerate to ashes (FO: NV laser style)

Cold - Freeze solid and shatter

Electricity - Convulse wildly while coursing with electricity

Acid - Melt down to puddle (FO: NV plasma style)

Poison - Choke and gag, convulsing, and collapse

obviously, I'm just spitballing of the top of my head here. :wowey:

A few of these existed in the Baldur Gates. Frozen and petrify especially. You forgot petrify.

Also would be interesting to see game mechanics based on this idea. Burned up consumables (scrolls), broken armor/weapons, acid burning through wands. BG also did this with petrify/frozen. Just keep the ultra-loot intact and a variable number of lower-level loot could be destroyed (maybe when "overkills" happen?)

Moonstone (a really old game that I played as a kid) had death animations that I still remember. Anyone remember the Baloks biting your head off and chewing it as blood spurted from your neck? I couldn't find any death animations on youtube, but here's a nice memento of the good old days.

Edit: FOUND THEM!

https://www.youtube....h?v=6co2BsNEssA - Burned to a crisp

https://www.youtube....h?v=y650FwFGAAA - Eaten by dragon

https://www.youtube....h?v=uvS4uhVXkmM - Dragged to death b Mudman

https://www.youtube....h?v=nt0rbp8h3BI - Beheaded by axe

https://www.youtube....h?v=9qhODhw0QHM - Head bitten off

https://www.youtube....h?v=O2FsqXONFQg - Stomped by Balok

https://www.youtube....h?v=t5-dvMGi9F0 - Hung by ratmen

https://www.youtube....h?v=uf2gxe6etjk - Squished by troll

https://www.youtube....h?v=fUEKeR_hE4A - Impaled by Trogg

https://www.youtube....h?v=A1zpGVM8vl8 - Impaled by warbeast

Ahhh... the good old days. I miss this game.

Edited by Hormalakh
  • Like 5

My DXdiag: