Future title: Kotor 3?

I'd love a retcon. What Bioware and Karpyshyn did with the Exile, reduced to be Revan's lackey, was unnerving to say the least. It was sad to see such a wise character becoming one hell of a fool.

For all her lessons, it truly looked like Kreia couldn't teach "her" the meaning of trust. So much for the Dark Lord of Betrayal.

Of course, since actually, Kreia was just a madwoman influenced by evil crystals...

That book, in general, was a travesty.  It basically sacrificed Revan and the Exile in order to "pump up" the characters and setting for the TOR MMO.

• Like 1

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

EA has the license to make Star Wars games for the next few years: http://ea.newshq.businesswire.com/press-release/company-news/walt-disney-company-and-ea-announce-multi-year-star-wars-games-agreement

BURBANK & REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) and Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced a new multi-year exclusive licensing agreement to develop and publish globally new games based on Star Wars characters and storylines.

Under the agreement, EA will develop and publish new Star Wars titles for a core gaming audience, spanning all interactive platforms and the most popular game genres, while Disney will retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories.

“This agreement demonstrates our commitment to creating quality game experiences that drive the popularity of the Star Wars franchise for years to come,” said John Pleasants, Co-President of Disney Interactive. “Collaborating with one of the world’s premier game developers will allow us to bring an amazing portfolio of new Star Wars titles to our fans around the world.”

“Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe,” said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau. “Three of our top studios will fulfill that dream, crafting epic adventures for Star Wars fans. DICE and Visceral will produce new games, joining the BioWare team which continues to develop for the Star Wars franchise. The new experiences we create may borrow from films, but the games will be entirely original with all new stories and gameplay.”

Financial terms of the agreement were not disclosed.

This is pretty much an announcement that Bio is making another KotOR - and that OEI isn't in the running. This, of course, fits with Disney's approach to the SW franchise: milk it for all it's worth.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Nah! This just means that Obsidian will have to pitch to EA instead.

If EA likes Obsidian's pitch then Obsidian will be able to make the game, EA will obviously be the publisher though.

And again, Obsidian can use KoTOR2 as a showcase as to what they can do with Star Wars.

Now, depending on the type of game Obsidian would want to make, they could take advantage of EA and DICE and BioWares efforts on using the Frostbite engine for RPGs.

The EA announcement on Star Wars was just for EA to show off and also do some PR for it's studios.

But EA also loves money, and iuf they see profits in apitch by Obsidian they'd be stupid not to go for it! :)

At least EA understands gaming way better than Disney, so the odds may just have improved.

Edited by Rescator

Nah! This just means that Obsidian will have to pitch to EA instead.

If EA likes Obsidian's pitch then Obsidian will be able to make the game, EA will obviously be the publisher though.

And again, Obsidian can use KoTOR2 as a showcase as to what they can do with Star Wars.

Now, depending on the type of game Obsidian would want to make, they could take advantage of EA and DICE and BioWares efforts on using the Frostbite engine for RPGs.

The EA announcement on Star Wars was just for EA to show off and also do some PR for it's studios.

But EA also loves money, and iuf they see profits in apitch by Obsidian they'd be stupid not to go for it! :)

At least EA understands gaming way better than Disney, so the odds may just have improved.

OEI's pitch is a dead letter. EA is not going to take an external developer with a record like OEI's when they have Bioware as part of their portfolio - which in business terms is a much surer bet.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

• 1 month later...

I agree. And I highly doubt that BioWare's going to make something that goes in KoTOR's direction because of TOR. They're not going to backpedal on anything they've created at this point, especially considering how much time and money went into it - no matter how much of a fail it is. They're going to try to keep it alive for all it's worth. I wouldn't really say it's much of a sound business decision, but it gives them more credibilty as a company if they stick to what they've created rather than ditching such a huge project and develop a third KoTOR instead.

But then again, I wouldn't want a third KoTOR to be developed by BioWare anyway.

As for Obsidian, I really hope they'll get a chance to develop another Star Wars RPG somehow, considering how eager they seem, KoTOR or not. It's just that there seem to be too many obstacles to overcome for that to happen anytime soon.

But hope dies last...

I, too, would love to have a KotOR3, developed by Obsidian, who would given all the time needed to develop it. But sadly, that's not going to happen. Any future titles will likely be developed by EA, who is like some sort of reverse King Midas; everything they touch turns to rubbish.

Secondly, part of the reason I want to see a KotOR3 is so that Revan and the Exile's stories might be brought to conclusion. But BioWare already did that with the 150-million-dollar boondoggle that is The Old Republic, and that godawful novel Revan, which ended Revan's (and particular, the Exile's) story arc in the most outrageous way imaginable.

• 2 weeks later...

With Disney's exclusive deal with EA, we'll be seeing a new Star Wars singleplayer RPG by BioWare in a few years. It doesn't have to be called KotOR 3 or even be set in the ~3900 BBY timeframe, they could place it in any era.

I would not be surprised if your goal is too find 4 parts of something important spread across the galaxy, you travel to supposedly desolate Tatooine just 'cause, and you face off against a cackling Sith Lord with cybernetics.

I'm sure it will be enjoyable, but I would obviously rather have Obsidian make another Star Wars RPG. I want Chris Avellone to dream up interesting plotlines set in diverse locations of the vast galaxy where you meet everything from Trandoshan big game hunters and Houk nightclub bouncers to Nautolan Republic Army Generals and Nikto senators. I'm afraid the deal with EA makes that possibility very slim.

Edited by AW8

Batman: [intimidate] "Let her go".

Joker: [Failure] "Very poor choice of words."

• 7 months later...