Future title: Kotor 3?

Now that Disney has bought Star Wars, what do you think the likleyhood is that we could see an official Knights of The Old Republic 3? I think there is a lot of potential there. I think we can all agree that the older games aer a bit clunky, most games were those days. But there's so much that could be done with it these days. Just so much. I would absolutely love it! Thoughts?

• Like 1

Pretty sure Disney said somewhere they weren't interested in video games and would be scaling back production of them, and that they're uninterested in the EU, too.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

Probably because they kept churning out trash that didn't pay back what it cost in the midst of a 4-year downswing.

Their apparent goal as of today is "Infinity", which sounds like a mix between Skylanders and Cartoon Network's Fusion-thingy. They're trying to link all their IPs together to increase sales.

From what I heard they don't want to produce inhouse... but were fine with licensing SW to third-party developers. Which is good news for a KOTOR3...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I would be happy if this happened.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

If they can "reboot" movies (and entirely ignore plot happenings in previous sequels) then they could do it for a game.

Not that I have great expectation for a real Kotor3, but one can always hope.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Star Wars has a large enough galaxy and history that it wouldn't be hard to build a new sub-IP off it, like with the KotOR series. It's just a matter of somebody having the gumption to build a story that doesn't involve "you played a part in all the movies, squee!" KotOR was nice because it decidedly set itself apart from the Rebllion era; we just need others willing to try the same.

The big question now is how much leeway Disney will be giving for the expanded universe.

Maybe I can finally play a Han Solo type scoundrel without the game forcing me to change class into a wussy, lightsaber wielding Jedi. The one thing I've never forgiven Bioware for. Such a promising start in the first part of Kotor and then *that* :getlost:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Maybe I can finally play a Han Solo type scoundrel without the game forcing me to change class into a wussy, lightsaber wielding Jedi. The one thing I've never forgiven Bioware for. Such a promising start in the first part of Kotor and then *that* :getlost:

all the **** B-ware has pulled since then and that's what you can't forgive them for?

I'd take a new Star Wars RPG over nothing, but I'd take almost any new non-Star Wars RPG over that, so eh. In the context of Obsidian at least, I'd rather see them have room to flex their creative muscle rather than don the straitjacket that is the Star Wars licence.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

The KOTOR series overplayed the whole Jedi powers ability. In the films it was generally a subtle thing; mainly consisting of some TK, intuitive hunches, and remote empathy. There was non insta-heal ability apparent.

Edited by rjshae

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Not exactly confirmation, but:

http://www.polygon.com/2012/11/12/3635718/disney-interactive-posts-216-million-loss-for-2012-fiscal-year

..."ongoing shift from console game releases to mobile and social game releases."

Their in-house branch is trying to focus more on Infinity, their try at Skylanders. That does not preclude licensing Star Wars to outside developers, though.

The KOTOR series overplayed the whole Jedi powers ability. In the films it was generally a subtle thing; mainly consisting of some TK, intuitive hunches, and remote empathy. There was non insta-heal ability apparent.

Well, they need a healing power.

Can't blame them from making more powers... otherwise being a Jedi would be boring indeed.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Why do they need a healing power when the game already has healing packs? If the draw is the Jedi from the films, then why do they need to add powers in order to make them non-boring? That makes no sense.

There were probably a few reasons, but the biggest I can see is that the traditional Jedi/Sith skills don't really lend themselves effectively to RPGs. For example, telekinesis is very general and flexible, but has to be chopped up into specific abilities.

As to Healing, I think that's balancing the Jedi vs Sith mechanic-wise. The Sith powers of Force Lightning, Force Choke, and Drain Life are pretty much unmatched on the Jedi side, meaning the Dark Side has more abilities. So for balance, they added counter abilities, such as healing.

• Like 1

Perhaps, but that would appear to go against the canon in the films. Yoda didn't use healing to cure himself from the lightning attack in the film series; he withstood it.

Why do they need a healing power when the game already has healing packs? If the draw is the Jedi from the films, then why do they need to add powers in order to make them non-boring? That makes no sense.

In the same vein, why do all fantasy games need priests and healing spells when they already have healing potions?

Besides, Obsidian didn't really come up with all of those by themselves. A lot of it existed in previous material from the E.U, including a few table-top RPG.

What works good in movies doesn't always works in games.

If you keep inherrently true when it shows your game is going to be better twisting them then your game is going to suck.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

Looking at a brief Wikipedia article, it seems likely. Classes for the PnP include the starting classes from KotOR as well as the Jedi prestige classes. Based on that, they probably did develop and balance the powers used in-game.

Edited by TSBasilisk