Small suggestions. Easily implemented ideas, quickfire thoughts.

When you die in certain situations or against certain enemies, boss types mainly, there should be a dialogue option where you give a final word or a curse against your enemy.

I would like different death screens/cinematics for different deaths.
  • Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

• 3 months later...

One thing I've always been bothered by is games that insist on having the battle music louder than any other form of music. Really. Annoying. I'm very particular about protecting my ears, but there's times I just can't be bothered to keep adjusting the sliders, so play games with background music barely audible, which usually sets battle music to normal.

So separate sliders would be great, or maybe all music within roughly similar decibel level would be fantastic.

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 5

When you die in certain situations or against certain enemies, boss types mainly, there should be a dialogue option where you give a final word or a curse against your enemy.

I would like different death screens/cinematics for different deaths.

I'd prioritize different weapon animations per weapon though. Just my priority though.

Edited by Chippy

One thing I've always been bothered by is games that insist on having the battle music louder than any other form of music. Really. Annoying. I'm very particular about protecting my ears, but there's times I just can't be bothered to keep adjusting the sliders, so play games with background music barely audible, which usually sets battle music to normal.

So separate sliders would be great, or maybe all music within roughly similar decibel level would be fantastic.

And, on that note is another very simple but very useful sound option:

A distinction between voices and "sound effects." So many games have explosions and clinking swords drowning out what people are saying sometimes, or causing me to turn the "sounds/sound effects" volume down, only to realize that I need to turn it back up whenever people are talking, because it now sounds like they're whispering.

Very useful distinction, 8P

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

• 2 weeks later...

It's less an idea, rather something I would like to see avoided, but it's not worth (imo) a topic on it's own so...

Please don't hide lore containing items (like scrolls books etc) in locations that are forcing player to be in a rush (because of a time limit, AoE that slowly kills the PC and so on) and which can't be later accessed.

• Like 1

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones." - Ross Scott

It's not that I'm lazy. I just don't care.

Make books valuable. This is a world without printing, after all. Books should be tremendous pieces of rare loot. I never got the 1gp books from the Baldurs Gate Series.

• Like 4

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Make books valuable. This is a world without printing, after all. Books should be tremendous pieces of rare loot. I never got the 1gp books from the Baldurs Gate Series.

In that case I would argue that bookcases should be even more rare. A valued book might appear on its own stand, or inside a protective chest. Scroll cases might be a little more common, particularly in a wizard's enclave; plus they would yield more of an antiquarian look.

• Like 3

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The scrolls in the IE games seemed a little too vanilla to me, so I would like to see a little more variety. As an example, I propose, having three grades for each type of magic scroll:

• Adept scroll -- this is the spell in its basic form, cast at the minimum possible level.
  • Master scroll -- the scroll spell is cast at four class levels above the minimum needed, providing all the benefits thereof.
  • Arch-mage scroll - the scroll spell is cast at eight class levels above the minimum needed.
The scrolls are priced accordingly and the player must make a decision whether to consume a scroll to learn a spell or use one of the better versions during a key moment. Naturally, enemies will have the same option.

I've always felt scrolls are a bit absurd a concept, in terms of RPGs. If you want to store a spell for use by non-mages or magicians without consuming mana, it's effectively a magic grenade, and a scroll is technically is only different from a book/grimoire in that it's a single rolled up parchment with (presumably) the same text rather than a bunch of sheets of parchment or vellum bound together in a rectangular format.

Unless it is the same thing as a spell written down in a bound book/grimoire, only with some sort of self-destruct enchantment or charged with power such that the parchment/vellum is destroyed by the release of said power, it seems to me like some other kind of vessel should contain the spell/effect. Of course, if it was charged with some form of power there's no reason another object like a runestone or inscribed/enchanted crystal ([sarcasm]because they're obviously magical in nature, obviously,[/sarcasm]) couldn't perform the same function.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

skippable intro cinematics/logos. Nothing is more annoying that having to watch the creative assembly logo/copyright claim for 30 seconds before being able to progress to loading my game, which had crashed just a minute earlier.

• Like 6

---

Although probably already in this thread (didn't read all 19 pages) I will repeat aforementioned idea;

Have a working bookcase in your stronghold. Not one just holding books as physical items you need to put in your inventory, but where once a book is stored, you can simply read it from the list of books collected right there. Try to collect them all!

Especially handy for books in series, which will no longer require all, say 5, in your inventory to read the full story once. Which happened a few times in the old IE games.

• Like 3

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Just thinking about how area of space and party positioning was important in IE games, e.g. corridor allowing 2 characters with low ac to block enemy advance, behind them  character(s) with a long reach weapon, and again in the third row a character with a ranged weapon or spells.

Sort of on the fence on whether that was a good thing or not.  Maybe there should be a penalty to fighting from the second and third rows, or feat selection informing that type of formation fighting?...

• Like 2

skippable intro cinematics/logos. Nothing is more annoying that having to watch the creative assembly logo/copyright claim for 30 seconds before being able to progress to loading my game, which had crashed just a minute earlier.

Standard solution, works with every modern game (old games stop with an error message, usually):

- Find "movies" folder, name is usually obvious

- Rename movie files which you think are part of the startup package. After finding the right ones, you can delete them if you wish.

- After you start the game, there will be a few seconds of blank while the game fruitlessly searches for those movie files, then gives up and shows you the main menu.

You only need to do this once after installing, it's well worth the effort.

(Note: Steam games are located by default in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\<Game Name>, though it's possible that they are elsewhere.)

• Like 1

The Seven Blunders/Roots of Violence: Wealth without work. Pleasure without conscience. Knowledge without character. Commerce without morality. Science without humanity. Worship without sacrifice. Politics without principle. (Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi)

Let's Play the Pools Saga (SSI Gold Box Classics)

Pillows of Enamored Warfare -- The Zen of Nodding

Just thinking about how area of space and party positioning was important in IE games, e.g. corridor allowing 2 characters with low ac to block enemy advance, behind them  character(s) with a long reach weapon, and again in the third row a character with a ranged weapon or spells.

Sort of on the fence on whether that was a good thing or not.  Maybe there should be a penalty to fighting from the second and third rows, or feat selection informing that type of formation fighting?...

Along these lines, I'm thinking there might actually be room for a simple crouch toggle. Hypothetically... if trying to fire "through" an ally directly in your line of fire actually is represented with a penalty in PoE, then crouching would allow for a double-row of archers (pretty much only useful in narrow corridors, where a "row" is like... one person). AND, crouching could possibly be instrumental in sneaking (But not an automatic part of it like in some games, where, when you're sneaking, you're just ALWAYS crouched, even when there's no reason to be.) Maybe you're walking through some bushes/tall grass? You could just crouch, if you need to quickly hide. And, while crouched, you move more slowly, but stay lower. This would work for low walls and such, too.

*shrug*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Subtitles in cinematics. The Banner Saga devs forgot that and it was quite annoying for people who were native english speakers to understand what the hell the characters were sayign through their thick nordic accent. Apparently, even english people had trouble with that.

When you do an iron man run: the ability to stop the run and go for a normal one whenever you want, just like the hardcore mode in FNV.

• Like 5

When you do an iron man run: the ability to stop the run and go for a normal one whenever you want, just like the hardcore mode in FNV.

Do you really want to leave Iron Man mode?

[Yes, my panties are bunched up in a knot and I can't take it any more]

[Hell no!!!!!]

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if it's a duplicate request, but --

It'd be really great if you could talk to shopkeeps over the sales counter, or bartenders over the bar, rather than having to walk around to their side like in the IE games.  It's probably not worth too many "zots" if that's what it'd take, but it feels a little silly talking to Barkis in the Smoldering Corpse on his side of the bar :p

• Like 5

Maybe someone already mentioned something similiar to this, but here it goes. Sometimes whn you clear dungeon or area, you take what you assume is of most value. Still, there is pretty much left aLot that can NOT be taken by ypur party. This is usually "junk" equipment left from enemies, but also interior in some places.

I figured aLOT can be scavanged there, but game doesnt give you option. I mean there can be literally chest gold inlaid, or fancy equipment in heaps, paintings, urns and such interior stuff. To someone all this might be very valuable. So I wondered as part of having some extra income early ingame, you could hire scavenger groups, that for a fee from scavange and cleared site would pay you equipment. I know this would be helpful early in game, especially like in games like Skyrim and Fallout. On reply I always money cheat, becouse I just dont want to do these tedious runs all over again.

Edited by Tauron

magic021.jpg

Maybe someone already mentioned something similiar to this, but here it goes. Sometimes whn you clear dungeon or area, you take what you assume is of most value. Still, there is pretty much left aLot that can NOT be taken by ypur party. This is usually "junk" equipment left from enemies, but also interior in some places.

I figured aLOT can be scavanged there, but game doesnt give you option. I mean there can be literally chest gold inlaid, or fancy equipment in heaps, paintings, urns and such interior stuff. To someone all this might be very valuable. So I wondered as part of having some extra income early ingame, you could hire scavenger groups, that for a fee from scavange and cleared site would pay you equipment. I know this would be helpful early in game, especially like in games like Skyrim and Fallout. On reply I always money cheat, becouse I just dont want to do these tedious runs all over again.

In PoE there's an infinite stash - so you'll be able to put all that junk into it on your first run.  No need to go back to scavenge.

My only concern with this is that now I'll  have unlimited junk to sort through when at campsites/towns and then selling 100 longswords for 1gp each.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

*Casts Nature's Terror* :aiee: , *Casts Firebug* :fdevil: , *Casts Rot-Skulls* :skull: , *Casts Garden of Life* :luck: *Spirit-shifts to cat form* :cat:

In PoE there's an infinite stash - so you'll be able to put all that junk into it on your first run.  No need to go back to scavenge.

My only concern with this is that now I'll  have unlimited junk to sort through when at campsites/towns and then selling 100 longswords for 1gp each.

so a good sort function would be a great feature, especially for barter windows.

It'd also be nice to have an option to mark any equipment you like to keep with a "Don't show this in sell window" option, so you don;t accidentally sell something you intended to keep. It's happened to me before, very frustrating. (but can also be solved with instant buyback, one of the few features of DA:O that I liked)

• Like 4

---

It'd also be nice to have an option to mark any equipment you like to keep with a "Don't show this in sell window" option, so you don;t accidentally sell something you intended to keep. It's happened to me before, very frustrating. (but can also be solved with instant buyback, one of the few features of DA:O that I liked)

BRILLIANT!

A lot of games have "mark this junk," or "mark this as a favorite," but it's generally a lot more work to either mark all the things you don't want as junk (just so you can conveniently sell them all, and only them, when you get to a merchant), than it is to simply mark the things you definitely don't want to sell.

At the very least, you simply mark fewer things, then still click a "Sell all" button to accomplish the same thing as the "mark as junk" feature situation.

*Gives it seven thumbs up*

• 2 weeks later...

A quick thought:

What if bows/crossbows functioned a little differently from other weapons, in that, instead of weapon speed being the duration of every single attack you make, it is simply the duration of nocking an arrow/reloading the crossbow?

Thus, it would never take less than [Weapon_Speed] time to make another attack with, say, a bow. BUT, you could feasibly fire an arrow, then move around, knock another arrow, move around some more, then fire another one instantly whenever you chose to, because that character already had another arrow nocked.

*shrug*. Maybe you'd still have to be standing still to nock an arrow, or moving would slow the process, and/or you could acquire talents that would allow for nocking-while-moving, and/or even firing/releasing an arrow accurately while moving, etc. But, that's just going further with the idea. Reloading a crossbow would most likely never be possible while moving, unless maybe it was one of those "Ha-HAH! You didn't know I was concealing this little crossbow!" crossbows. 8P

• Like 1