Small suggestions. Easily implemented ideas, quickfire thoughts.

i had a thought about the in game time. it should be something like the first fallout, where the ratio of in game to real life time was 1:1 (or make it at most 2:1). it's anoying at times to see a full 24h cycle in game be completed in 1h real time. it's fine for games that have the cycle as an added effect that does not affect the game (assassin's creed 2 for example) or games like terraria, but if waking up in the morning in the inn near the gate and going to the shop at the harbor, takes 15-20 minutes of walking, why should the in game time show that it took 5-7 hours?

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

When the party has an all rogue party or maybe at least 3 rogue's it allows the thieves to pull off group actions i.e.

Mislead ~ distract a mark while the other thief cut's their purse/robs their house etc

Waylay ~ one thief plays the victim calling for help while the others' prepare an ambush

Disguise ~ Using disguises the rogue's carry out an elaborate con to relieve the mark of their belongings/infiltrate a building etc.

Would add interesting role-playing options but probably outside the scope of this game. Thinking of robin hood, it would be fun to play a band of brothers like that.

class synergy would be nice, that'd make it more interesting to have more of a class in your party.
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I would like boring or repetetive actions be portrayed through a short cinematic.

wouldn't you then have a repetetive cinematic?
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I would like boring or repetetive actions be portrayed through a short cinematic.

wouldn't you then have a repetetive cinematic?

Yes. The point is, resting becomes somewhat more difficult than a 2-3s moment and a message "rested 8 hours". Lets say you have a 10-15s clip instead. It brings you more in touch with the game. They could have a different clip for each city and every type of locale.

just an idea.

• Like 1

*shrug*. It just seems like that doesn't really fix the problem. "This is still boring, but now it lasts 5 times as long."

Seems like the root of the problem is the boringness. Maybe it would be more prudent to make boring things less boring? *shrug again*

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hell no. It sets you up for the more interesting things and overall it still lasts only a small fraction of the total playtime. Although maybe thats not the type of gameplay everyone is looking for.

Edited by Sheikh

Wow... so not only would it be imprudent to actually make boring things interestingly interactive (rather than more lengthily UN-teractive), but it would actually be hellishly imprudent. My god... I apologize. I had no idea. o_o

By all means, implement it, post-haste! Could we also have some of those 15-second cinematics every single time we drink a potion, or use an item, perhaps? Maybe when we open the map. A 15-second map-opening cinematic would be pretty sweet.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Hell no. It sets you up for the more interesting things and overall it still lasts only a small fraction of the total playtime. Although maybe thats not the type of gameplay everyone is looking for.

Ah so you suggested it as a method to deal with rest-spamming. I don't think forcing a player to watch a 30 second animation will make them particularly happy with the game, especially when they feel they need to rest, but, it does get the point across that it is not something to do on the fly.

Perhaps there are other methods to make this something you cannot spam.

I've suggested before to gamify resting. With that I mean, make it a part of the game itself. (Set up camp, campfire, place traps, alarms, set watch schedule, etc) this would serve the same purpose without taking control away from the player or forcing him or her to deal with something unenjoyable.

• Like 2

---

Save games should be organised in distinct character profiles.

One problem that I've found in many rpgs is that they seem to be designed for multiple playthroughs yet only have a single pool of savegames making organisation a pain.  Could we have a profile system for convenient management of our various characters?

Linked from: http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/64018-save-games-organised-in-distinct-character-profiles/.

• Like 3

Perhaps there are other methods to make this something you cannot spam.

I've suggested before to gamify resting. With that I mean, make it a part of the game itself. (Set up camp, campfire, place traps, alarms, set watch schedule, etc) this would serve the same purpose without taking control away from the player or forcing him or her to deal with something unenjoyable.

Si, si. Those little ehh... can't think of the phrase... text-based, scripted event things they've teased us with would even make a pretty cool implementation to resting.

• Like 1

Sleeping Souls

In rare circumstances, a body may host more than one soul. In some cases these souls are cooperative, blending their natures to form a single, cohesive whole; in other, the souls are in conflict and one of them will usually become the dominant soul. In cases where one of the souls is exhausted of its energy or otherwise rendered incapacitated, another soul may briefly emerge. This awoken soul may have a completely different persona and nature; usually one that is less talented because it is unpracticed at being in control of the host, but can likewise be more innocent and trusting.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Whenever a character gains a condition and has a potion that will remedy it, show the potion as a small icon next to the condition. Clicking on the icon will cause the character to imbibe the potion as their next action.

• Like 3

On the assumption that the game will implement friendly fire rules for magic, then a magic user should be able to acquire the ability to avoid friendly fire effects by channeling spells around companions and allies. This should allow the magic user to cast, say, fireballs, centered on the party, that usually only damage the enemy. Damage to concentration could negate this ability, causing grief to the party.

• Like 3

Macros, definately macros, especially for buffs. I don't know how heavily combat in P:E will rely on buffs, but in IWD and NWN 2 it has always been a chore. The buffing up before tough battles took 4 times longer than the actual fight, and when you play on high difficulty, every battle is tough. That isn't fun anymore. 

• Like 2

Following the demise of the item durability system, I'd like to see some type of abstract mechanic take its place. For this reason, I'm proposing the following feat-like ability that represents a character who takes better care of his equipment and therefore has less need to stock replacement parts. It also represents techniques for carrying gear in a balanced, efficient manner and making the individual items more readily accessible during combat.

Gear Master

Your long field experience with equipment maintenance, stowage, and retrieval has made you an expert at transporting gear and keeping it in good condition and ready for use. For this reason, the amount of gear you can access during combat is permanently increased by [several slots]. You can only take this ability once.

I'd suggest an Intelligence-based prerequisite.

• Like 1

I want to suggest some  simple functions to the menu, some of them from the total war series, some for the Civ series that i love

Game menu options

- Save  current game and exit to desktop

-Load current game

I would also love a  desktop shortcut to current save

• Like 1

this is... pointless. instead of pressing F5 (quicksave) - Esc - click on quit, you press Esc and click on save and quit... saves you the press of a button

that option exists in almost all games and it's called continue game (loads last save). what it actualy does, is spare you the 2 extra clicks you would need to select and run a save file from the load menu

and pointless too. spares you one more click compared to the above

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Enemy taunting and insulting the player verbally or physically has always given me a buzz.  Example: Goblins in Severance Blade of Darkness knew they had no chance of defeating you, yet insisted on thrusting their shoulders out and making all kinds of sounds that facial animations from a decade ago would not allow.

Just makes firing an arrow into the face, or chopping bits off while they die a blood spurting, gurlgling death all the more satisfying.

• Like 2

If you have a reputation as a do-gooder, or someone who takes all jobs without question (and I hope that gets tracked)

it'd be cool if there are some quest givers who use you to do their dirty work. And for once it shouldn't be obvious that they're trying to manipulate you into doing something wrong.

And when you get back, you don't get the reward you were promised.

(but some potential of revenge or another resolution in the future)

Not everyone has your best interests at heart, after all.

• Like 4

---

^YES! I think that's one of the main problems sparking the whole "being good is always the best" argument regarding RPGs. I don't think it's so much that the rewards are too much. I think it's that such a path is almost devoid of negatives. Any other path gets negatives + positives. And it seems like being good only gets positives. Even when you forego a reward for the sake of "good"ness, you really just trade it for a different reward (money for reputation that ends up helping you as-much-or-more than the money in the long run anyway).

Also I hated how item piles could obscure item piles immediately behind them; some kind of merging of nearby piles would be useful.

• Like 1

---

I would like to see tangible, story consequences for placing the PC/party is as much danger as possible. I don't think clicking "Run, I'll hold them off!" and then save-scumming until you win every battle should be the fast-track to the best ending.

I guess I'd really like to see some kind of perks which would not come directly from specialization / class choices but would rather be awarded for something your character did, providing combat or non-combat bonuses - let's take a simple example - during your travels you managed to kill 1000 goblins, you are now aware of their weaknesses which would be reflected in a bonus passive skill, adding additional offensive / defensive rolls against goblins. This, of course, is a simplified example of what I mean. These could possibly be also awarded for some long chain-quests ( the usual, help out some members of a merchant guild in different cities, get a bonus perk providing global discounts from all members of the guild ) as well as for both good and evil decisions you make ( massacre some villagers, receive butcher of ... perk, effects could vary from some people not wanting to trade with you to groups of bounty hunters spawning randomly trying to repay the kindness in all kinds of manners they can think of ) which would add to the realism of properly functional society, making you bear the consequences for your various actions.