Small suggestions. Easily implemented ideas, quickfire thoughts.

The player does not start with a map, the pc has to buy / obtain one. Different kind of maps using different kind of textures (old, new, burned, etc), covering different areas with different precision. Fake maps. Treasure maps. Buried treasure. Of course, all this could be made compatible with the usual automap feature.

Errrrmahgherrrrrrrrd!!! Fake Map Quest!!! I don't know how to do justice to the little movie clip that played in my head when I thought up the idea I have!

"I'm telling you, there's supposed to be a road here! It shows it leading north, to a village!" *Player checks minimap... minimap shows northerly road here, but there isn't one in the environment.*

"Well, let's just head north. Maybe it's an older map, and the road's not used much anymore?"

Three hours later...

"Okay, now I have NO idea where we are..."

"Let's just head back to town, and get a different map."

"Yeah, except, I don't even know where TOWN IS, now! It would take us all night to retrace our steps, and this map obviously isn't going to show us an accurate path or any landmarks... I KNEW there was something off about that merchant!"

Also, maybe it leads you into an ambush. AND/OR, maybe the map is enchanted, and actually changes, little by little, while you're not looking at it, in an effort to get you lost or lead you into said ambush (obviously enchanted by the person who set up the ambush... OR SENTIENT MAP! O_O). AND/OR it leads you into an area that is enchanted and changes (the good old "You can't leave this maze unless you take the correct pattern of turns" bit is a good cliche example of this type of enchantment).

Also...

-Hand to Hand combat with multiple different styles

YES! I don't want to see "Well, you can fight 'unarmed style,' if you want, but you'll literally just be fighting while not armed. We'll even make an entire feat/specialization tree dedicated to unarmed combat, and maybe give you like 2 different unarmed-type weapons throughout the entire game, just to maintain the illusion that it's a viable fighting-style choice in the game, 8D!" *coughSkyrimcough*. But, also, I'd like to see AT LEAST two different overall types of unarmed combat:

1) Unarmed standard Warrior type ("brawler," for lack of a better word) and

2) Martial Arts Monk type.

It's just very commonly "Well, you're not a Monk, so you can basically make rudimentary punches and kicks here and there if you really feel like it," OR "unarmed basically is just the exact same thing as armed, only at about 15% damage."

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Demon Raptor--Formulated by a mad wizard (some even speculate by Od Nua) this flying creature combines the physical traits of an imp-like demon with a predatory bird, while assuming the social traits of a pack animal. When not scavenging they usually hunt in groups, chasing down larger prey by constant diving attacks that rip off small pieces of flesh. In the process the prey is steadily worn down and exhausted, leaving them vulnerable to a final, swarming, coup de grace.

In some barren lands the Demon Raptor have been domesticated, which has allowed their physical traits to be modified to various degrees and their nasty personality ameliorated. Domesticated Demon Raptors have acquired the temperament of a loyal guard dog, and they can be relentless, cunning, and swift in the attack.

this is cool, but maybe you should post it here?

A disguise system? It might be a fun challenge to disguise the party as traveling merchants or hunters or something.... maybe a crime-and-disguise-system in bigger cities?

That is rich in possibilities. Would be cool. Edited by JFSOCC

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

How about a quest involving a curse that makes the pc forget the meaning of words?

The pc would be unable to read.... not just road signs, but the descriptions of the stuff in the inventory, etc. ( Better to remember which potion is which. )

Conversations would appear in gibberish. Multiple-choice banters during this curse might turn out quite funny.

The pc could be warned that he/she was cursed and told what the curse does beforehand, but the actual curse should kick in at the

worst moment possible (during diplomatic negotiations or something like that).

Of course, once the curse is lifted, the player should be able to read back from the journal what he actually said.... or the pc could just ask the party members.

Or a curse that affects the choices during conversations. The player can choose what the the pc would say, but there is

no guarantee that he/she will actually say that.

Edited by Naesh
  • Like 3

based on the "what should female breastplate look like" thread, I would like at least one skimpy outfit, with no defensive stats, but which get some banter in the form of catcalls and the like.

• Like 3

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

based on the "what should female breastplate look like" thread, I would like at least one skimpy outfit, with no defensive stats, but which get some banter in the form of catcalls and the like.

Yes, that could lead to very comical situations. :yes:

I want to add to the "reactive NPC portraits" part that much of human communication is done through the so called "metacommunication", i.e. facial gestures and such.

So, a couple of facial gestures could add a lot of possibilities to storytelling.

Just look at how much facial gestures can enhance a joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF5I3ggYquA

Edited by Naesh
  • Like 1

Obligatory:

puOqI87.jpg

Edited by Tamerlane
  • Like 4
jcod0.png

Obligatory: 

puOqI87.jpg

Hee. :lol:

I'll admit it, I'm a munchkin. I played a level 20 rogue/ranger (11ranger9rogue) because it allowed me to be good at everything. The 3.5DnD ruleset allows for rangers to get dualwielding feats without prerequisites, while still delivering 6+int modifier class skills, in skills which overlap with a rogue's. It's fantastic, you get an animal companion, on average 7+int modifier +1 for being human skills per level, and still have enough combat feats to survive standing toe to toe with other combatants, oh and access to some magic too.

But playing the IE games I never was that smart. I kind of fumbled about not knowing what to pick.

This was because, whenever I levelled up, I would then make the decision of what I wanted.

I couldn't pick an objective to grow towards. I wouldn't get a feat which was a prerequisite for another feat which I may have wanted, because I didn't see that other feat show up in the list until I met the prerequisites.

I would like to be able to see where I'm going with my build. It'd be nice to be able to plan ahead.

I would appreciate to see the full path I can still take in my character screen. Perhaps have 2-3 preset character growth paths which you can select if you don't know what to do and want the game's help deciding.

• Like 2

---

I would like to be able to see where I'm going with my build.

I couldn't agree more. Some time in the past I put in a request for something like this to be included on the game DVD or on the Obsidian website. It'd take a lot of the hassle out of "building" the exact sort of PC that we desire if we could plan everything in advance.

• Like 1

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

But playing the IE games I never was that smart. I kind of fumbled about not knowing what to pick.

This was because, whenever I levelled up, I would then make the decision of what I wanted.

I couldn't pick an objective to grow towards. I wouldn't get a feat which was a prerequisite for another feat which I may have wanted, because I didn't see that other feat show up in the list until I met the prerequisites.

I would like to be able to see where I'm going with my build. It'd be nice to be able to plan ahead.

I would appreciate to see the full path I can still take in my character screen. Perhaps have 2-3 preset character growth paths which you can select if you don't know what to do and want the game's help deciding.

This is a great point.

Pub brawls... Anyone remember the pub brawls in Pool of radiance on the commodore/vic 64 ?

And please, make the Epic weapons EPIC.

Some repeatable missions/quests (yes I know some people hate them) to raise faction and such. Could be simple kill 10goblins and their shaman kind of quests, but still...

• Like 1

It's not exactly a small, easily implemented idea, but having a learnable language (even with a small amount of words) contributes greatly to the lore.

So, i would like to see a quest involving speaking this language, for instance at multiple choice conversations the text could appear in this language.

The player could translate it using the manual of the game (or better: a thin dictionary that comes with the game).

The option to turn off character barks. I like hearing them a few times, but there is nothing - nothing - more annoying than hearing the same bark over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

Seriously, it could be the greatest line in the history of lines. It's still going to get irritating. Especially if the character says something every time you tell them to move, Warcraft-style. The worst thing about Planescape for me, bar none, is that the characters will. not. stop. talking. Same thing with the other IE games, of course, but the protagonist having a voice makes it so much worse.

A related complaint, and three related suggestions:

• Is there anyone who likes hearing those dumb canned battle barks? If they only happened once every couple of hours, I could maybe see it, but they are constant. It's like an Avengers team composed entirely of Deadpools. It is so irritating to me. Especially that Imoen-style "Tee hee, I like to say cute things that show how adorably naïve I am in the middle of murdering things!" bark. Uuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhhhhhh.

But someone must like these things, right? Otherwise, why are they in the games?

• Don't give us a single universal on/off switch, but multiple specific sliders that can adjust the frequency of different types of barks. I don't want barks for every movement, but I'd hate to miss an exchange between two companions.

• If you're going to do a bunch of potential battle barks for the PC, I'd be much happier if they were just grunts and groans, Monster Hunter-style. All the "Let me help you BLEED!" voices from NWN2 just made me choose to have no voice (which was a nice thing you should include in this games as well). I'm not exactly keen on playing as Cobra Commander.

...That's a lie, I totally am. But in a game about being Cobra Commander, not a fantasy RPG. ;)

• The option to import our own barks would open up a lot of fun and funny possibilities.

• Like 2

^ I think their rarity is definitely flawed almost across the board in most existing games. I'm sorry, but I don't need to hear some quip EVERY time I score one of the 10 critical hits I score in the game. 2) They need to be brief reactionary lines. None of this "Hahahaaah! I can't believe you totally fell for that! What are you, stupid?!". By the time your Rogue is done saying that from his little dodgy move, he's ready to use it again, and the saying just loops into infinity. And C), They need to be varied (helped by the brevity bit).

This is literally the first thing that popped into my head, haha (so terrible), but if I hear my characters shout a different expletives or short phrase every time they get stricken by a critical hit, I wouldn't mind so much. That would seem to fit. And hearing "SMURF!" (insert expletive of your choosing) every 20 seconds is WAYYYYYYYY better than hearing "Alas! It would seem that I am to depart from our adventures upon this eeeeeeeeve...!" every 20 seconds.

It needs to sound as though they're actually reacting to the situation they're in, and not rehearsing lines for a play in the middle of battle.

• Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

Originally I played BG with Character voices on always. But yeah as I got older (or more perhaps, played the game more), I turned them all to seldom.

The BG/IWD options were fine : Character Sounds had a few different options for stuff like "when selected", "when ordered" etc and you could choose always, seldom and never for the voices, would be cool if they changed the options to always, more often, less often, never as that should cover pretty much everyone.

Edited by Sensuki

I think under "Always," there should be a sub-option, called "Anime Ability Callouts." The Rogue could be all like... " *waits*... Re-VERS-allll!" when he dodges, and the Wizard would have to recite lengthy poem-like incantations, like the high-level kido in Bleach.

(Not really, though). 8). As long as there's the option for rarity, things are pretty fine.

Hmm... :wub:

Perhaps it is an magical armor of the "mind" that gains its power purely through allure? Hence, the skimpier the better. Indeed, it is powered by the very charisma of the wearer, gaining an attack avoidance bonus based on the physical appeal stat. The power of the outfit is maximized against members of the same race but the opposite sex. A form of "madness" is created by the utter sensual appeal of the wearer that deflects blows through distraction and inattention. Unfortunately, it is less effective against humanoids of different races, and almost completely ineffective against beasts and non-humanoid monsters.

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

The option to turn off character barks. I like hearing them a few times, but there is nothing - nothing - more annoying than hearing the same bark over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

You've left me an opening!

down you go!

---

Similar to the announcement that Wasteland 2 will keep weapons relevant throughout the game, I'd like there to be a valid reason to hold onto that signature weapon.  Having watched Crisis Core and currently playing through FF7, it's a great touch to learn that a modder has made the buster sword gradually increase in power through use. 

I appreciate the concept of finding a +1 weapon, but it feels like cheating.  If I could melt that +1 sword down though and use the metal to craft/add a guard to my sabre (giving bonus to ac) it would feel more legitimate / aid roleplaying.  For me anyway.

• Like 2

I like the idea of having unique dialogues available when your characters are in a tavern and drinking. My party gathers round the table to toast there latest victory;

(imagine them seated and holding pewters or wine flagons etc) tales of triumph and despair and maybe a secret or two come to light.

• Like 2

I like the idea of having unique dialogues available when your characters are in a tavern and drinking. My party gathers round the table to toast there latest victory;

(imagine them seated and holding pewters or wine flagons etc) tales of triumph and despair and maybe a secret or two come to light.

Isn't that usually when tavern fights break out :no: maybe from the locals or all the guys you've kicked out of the party.  What if (maybe asking a lot here) the adventurers you kicked out of the party or didn't get along with all band together and all come after the players party.  Either seriously or just for a punch up at the tavern.

Edited by Chippy

Similar to the announcement that Wasteland 2 will keep weapons relevant throughout the game, I'd like there to be a valid reason to hold onto that signature weapon.  Having watched Crisis Core and currently playing through FF7, it's a great touch to learn that a modder has made the buster sword gradually increase in power through use. 

I appreciate the concept of finding a +1 weapon, but it feels like cheating.  If I could melt that +1 sword down though and use the metal to craft/add a guard to my sabre (giving bonus to ac) it would feel more legitimate / aid roleplaying.  For me anyway.

A thought along these lines: give each magic item the equivalent of a "skills tree" called soul bindings.The branches define the capabilities of the item when wielded by that character. Each branch along the tree has some prerequisites, which can include class levels, ability scores, skill ranks, and possibly material components (such as a type of gem stone). The player can select one branch each time they satisfy the prerequisites.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I would like ancient dungeons that haven't been seen for centuries to, you know, not be actually lit with torches everywhere. (Skyrim I'm looking at you) Rather allow your characters to light the path ahead of you; think of the dynamic character shadows a newly lit torch would cast on the walls as you realise you not alone. Whether that is done by the use of sconces on the wall or a light spell, that would be cool, thinking of gandalf's staff when in the mines of moria.

• Like 2