Small suggestions. Easily implemented ideas, quickfire thoughts.

Some of these ideas wouldn't be that easy to implement.

Ranger battle yells related to his/her favored enemies. Ex.: "The only good orc is a headless orc!"

• Like 4

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

Rare magical "Honing Stones" that add the "Keen" item property to melee weapons. Or the ability to "Ironshod" crushing weapons for the same effect.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Figured most of us have some ideas that don't need five page discussions but which you would still like to share.. (and if not then just let this thread die a quiet death)

I'll start:

I'd like to be able to name weapons I've crafted.

I'd like us not to be able to craft weapons, and legendary, named weapons to be something I quest for.

• Like 2

I'd like us not to be able to craft weapons, and legendary, named weapons to be something I quest for.

There's likely to be many features in the game that not everyone will utilize.

If crafting unique items is available, then I'd like to see how far I can go with it.

If players aren't too bothered by crafting, they don't have to do it.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

If crafting unique items is available, then I'd like to see how far I can go with it.

Yeah, but I am bothered by the idea. I find it silly. An adventurer being able to recognize and hack out enough ore in a few minutes... and then being able to smelt it into ingots. You know, that takes either a blast furnace, or - for lower quality results - a bloomery. In both cases a lengthy process that requires a lot of equipment.

And then the adventurer is also a weapons-smith and an armourer who is able to produce legendary equipment.

Sorry. I know it's a fantasy role playing game, but that just takes to much suspension of disbelief. I pray they leave out crafting. They probably won't, though.

Edited by TMZuk
  • Like 5

The option to order your known spells alphabetically, rather than the order in which you chose/scribed them. Have a simple column header that you can toggle between the two.

Edited by TRX850
  • Like 1

Yeah, but I am bothered by the idea. I find it silly. An adventurer being able to recognize and hack out enough ore in a few minutes... and then being able to smelt it into ingots. You know, that takes either a blast furnace, or - for lower quality results - a bloomery. In both cases a lengthy process that requires a lot of equipment.

And then the adventurer is also a weapons-smith and an armourer who is able to produce legendary equipment.

Sorry. I know it's a fantasy role playing game, but that just takes to much suspension of disbelief. I pray they leave out crafting. They probably won't, though.

It's not like it's a choice between absolutely no crafting and the crafting of legendary equipment.

I will say this, though... There's an actual forge (a nice, simple one, not a space forge with lazers and electronic blowtorches and such) pretty close to where I work, and a friend of mine went there to make some armor pieces and a helmet for his SCA stuff (Society for Contemporary Anachronism, I think?). The guy runs that forge for a living, and he let my friend basically make his helmet for a minimal fee plus the cost of materials (probably a couple-hundred dollars less than he would've charged to make the helmet FOR my friend.) He taught him some basics, and my friend made a pretty nice helmet. It isn't masterwork, but if you saw it in a museum, you'd believe it was really a helmet that belonged to some non-noble soldier in days of old. It's perfectly functional.

And that was his first time ever using a forge, and he made that helmet in about a week (because of his work schedule and whatnot. A couple hours each night.)

So, you might be surprised to learn that it doesn't take 17 years to be able to properly form metal into armor and weapons.

Besides, your main character and all your companions aren't 13-years-old. I'm sure they didn't just learn to walk, then start "adventuring," not learning any skills whatsoever other than swords and magic and sneakiness and looting. Hell, Rangers as a class typically know as much about plants and herbs and wounds/afflictions with regard to survival as a hospital nurse today knows about drugs and wounds and medical conditions.

Modern day people study martial arts until they're blackbelts, AND still have 5 other hobbies AND a full-time job AND a family. I think brains are capable of more than you think.

• Like 4

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

NWN2 had a reasonably good balance with the power level of crafted items. It wasn't like you could create something that was way ahead of your currently equipped weapons that you'd looted/bought in the game. There was a very controlled distribution of rare gems and (to some extent) components, plus the magical attack bonus was dependent upon your caster level and magical feats. So it's not like a regular fighter could produce an "Excalibur" style sword from nowhere. The whole idea is that over time and from many quests, you'd just happen to gather up ingredients, and gain spellcasting levels, and feats, and distil components using a high enough alchemy skill, then find an appropriate workbench, and even then, there was no guarantee you'd be successful. So with that in mind, weapon crafting represents a whole lot of time and effort. It's just that it's spread out across the quest-filled patchwork of normal adventuring. If they made weapon crafting perfectly realistic, the time and effort would be totally beyond a reasonable-duration play session, and would likely defeat the purpose of having it in the first place.

Edited by TRX850
  • Like 1

It's not like it's a choice between absolutely no crafting and the crafting of legendary equipment.

I will say this, though... There's an actual forge (a nice, simple one, not a space forge with lazers and electronic blowtorches and such) pretty close to where I work, and a friend of mine went there to make some armor pieces and a helmet for his SCA stuff (Society for Contemporary Anachronism, I think?). The guy runs that forge for a living, and he let my friend basically make his helmet for a minimal fee plus the cost of materials (probably a couple-hundred dollars less than he would've charged to make the helmet FOR my friend.) He taught him some basics, and my friend made a pretty nice helmet. It isn't masterwork, but if you saw it in a museum, you'd believe it was really a helmet that belonged to some non-noble soldier in days of old. It's perfectly functional.

And that was his first time ever using a forge, and he made that helmet in about a week (because of his work schedule and whatnot. A couple hours each night.)

So, you might be surprised to learn that it doesn't take 17 years to be able to properly form metal into armor and weapons.

Besides, your main character and all your companions aren't 13-years-old. I'm sure they didn't just learn to walk, then start "adventuring," not learning any skills whatsoever other than swords and magic and sneakiness and looting. Hell, Rangers as a class typically know as much about plants and herbs and wounds/afflictions with regard to survival as a hospital nurse today knows about drugs and wounds and medical conditions.

Modern day people study martial arts until they're blackbelts, AND still have 5 other hobbies AND a full-time job AND a family. I think brains are capable of more than you think.

I've been training swordfighting for seventeen years. I've fought with all sorts of equipment, good and bad. I've had a knife snap while blocking, that looked good, felt good, but was made by an amateur. I've taken an axeblow on the helmet, that was so hard that two layers of 1,5 mm steel was dented, and I praised my decision that I was not going to settle for a helmet made in a week by an amateur, but instead paid 300 euros for one that was made by a professional.

Where did your friend get the steel from? Did he mine the iron himself? Did he have his own bloomery? Have you tested the helmet? In the late middle-ages, Danish armourers had to take a pistolshot to the chest, wearing the breastplate they had just forged. You can see those armours in the armoury of Copenhagen. They are not "legendary" items. They are simply armours ordred by professionals and made by professionals. Funnily enough, none of those soldiers forged their own armour.

The fact is that crafting feels "unbelievable" in FRPGs. That's why I dislike them, and that's why I hope it isn't implemented. Wether I use it or not, it will make it harder to suspend disbelief.

Edited by TMZuk
  • Like 1

1. Crafting is already in, as it was a stretch goal.

2. Perhaps you can't craft anywhere, but only around workbenches like in the KOTOR game. then the game will have some sites with forges and billows and moulds and ****.

3. I was hoping, hoping mind you, that people would get the idea of this thread and post about 1-2 lines of what they would like to see implemented. I'm not saying no discussion is allowed, but if you start focussing on one suggestion we'll be here all day and we might as well split it off and give it it's own thread. (which is fine. you take a quote from here and make a thread about it)

Back on topic: I think it would be cool if there was this one scene where you enter a tavern and the music is so loud you can't hear anyone talking and you have to go outside to talk.

• Like 4

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

More in the tavern line....

We need tavern brawls. There must be at least one in the game and it must be part of the main story. Also you should have the option to ask a bartender to "hit you with the strongest thing they got!". This should result in a warning and a cheeky "are you sure" from the bartender. If the player says yes and drinks this god awful brew of death they must lose consciousness only to wake up naked in an outhouse with the words "Bubba was here" painted on the side.

• Like 2

Actually, ^^^^ I came in here to say the option to set the level of detail when displaying "die rolls" and ability/skill checks.

I'd like to know how difficult that lock or trap is that I've been unable to pick/disarm for the last two game sessions. Same with attack rolls, although not if it's going to be some huge equation, just the basics please. Some may argue that that's information you'd never really know, and this might be true, but they're simple game mechanics that give you a rough idea of what your characters might know or feel when they're attempting certain actions.

• Like 1

Where did your friend get the steel from? Did he mine the iron himself? Did he have his own bloomery? Have you tested the helmet? In the late middle-ages, Danish armourers had to take a pistolshot to the chest, wearing the breastplate they had just forged. You can see those armours in the armoury of Copenhagen. They are not "legendary" items. They are simply armours ordred by professionals and made by professionals. Funnily enough, none of those soldiers forged their own armour.

Where did blacksmiths of old get the steel from? Were they all experts at both mining AND smithing? Yes, he has tested the helmet. They have dulled (but otherwise replica) axes and swords and flails and warhammers at their disposal, and, while I'm sure it can be damaged, and it's highly possible it wouldn't withstand 12 blows from a weapon in actual combat from an adrenaline-fueled hostile hell-bent on killing my friend, A) it wasn't exactly designed to make sure it could, and B) that's beside my point. Also, obviously soldiers within an organized army wouldn't all build their own forge and sit down and each make their own armor. That's completely inefficient. They'd delegate specific tasks to specific groups. But, can you tell me there were never any rebel or small militia groups that contained any people who ever crafted quality armor AND possessed fighting skill?

I have no intention of belittling your knowledge and experience with things, nor claim that I know more than you on the subject (I had no idea how little or much you knew on the subject, which is why I said "you might be surprised" in my previous post. And I never compared anything to "legendary" quality. I specifically said "masterwork," meaning the realistic top-tier of craftsmanship. Nor did I say that you wouldn't, ideally, WANT masterwork quality instead of my-friend-who-used-a-forge-for-two-weeks quality. But, ideal isn't always what you get. RPGs are often heavily founded in progression from the basics, so you generally start with some pretty crap equipment. Lastly, I specifically shed light on the possibility that one or more of your 6 "adventurers" had actually accrued some non-marginal amount of experience mining or crafting or fishing or baking over the course of their entire life thus far, which would allow "you," the person in control of the whole party, to craft.

I never said "and that's why you're wrong, and crafting should, inherently be in the game, and everyone should have to do it, and it's always 100% believable no matter how it's implemented, and everyone should enjoy it. The end."

I don't understand why so many people feel that it's in any way necessary to snuff out pleas for the consideration of sheer possibility, and that "not necessarily" means "THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU SAID, AND NOTHING ELSE!". *sigh*...

Edited by Lephys
  • Like 1

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

XP for successfully picking locks and disabling traps. And while we're here, XP for other successful skill checks where the character averts some kind of non-trivial threat and/or benefits the party in some way. Bluff, Diplomacy, Appraise(?), Craft, Sleight of Hand, etc. Yeah, I know there are other threads discussing XP awards. I think BG2 had it right with XP for lock picking at least.

• Like 7

Big head mode. Always hilarious.

Big Heads confirmed! :p

-

Air travel! Zeppelins

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Colour code all stats so you can see at a glance what's good and what could use improving.

Edited by JFSOCC

---

What about an "inventory overflow" UI option?

For those times when you score major loot but your party are already at near or maximum carrying capacity, and it's a pain to move items around. Just quickly drag and drop all that (un-)identified loot into an overflow area (including some of your own stuff and your companions' gear if you want), then systematically sort through it, moving stuff around until your party is newly equipped again. And if there's still too much stuff, at least you have the option of dropping all the lesser items now.

It's really just a single tidy, temporary area to pool your items, identify them, and earmark them for certain characters without having them all scattered on the ground and non-right-clickable/non-interactive. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I like the little bits of background clutter that add atmosphere to a setting. The mysterious stains on the wall, a hole in a thatched roof, broken windows, a leaning chimney, cow piles in the pasture, leaves floating down the stream (Drakensang!), old hand-built stone walls, a dilapidated door hanging on one hinge, rocks from a partly collapsed tunnel ceiling, a scruffy kid chasing a dog down the street, the woman leaning out of a window to dump slop from a pitcher, a field left fallow, a war veteran walking with a limp, the charred remains of an old burnt building, a stuffy wizard smoking a pipe by the fire, the unfilled hole in a cobble road, a cat licking up the slop from the floor, an old woman carrying a large bundle of sticks on her back, a barrel maker, ...

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 10

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."