Selection circles

One of the things that I would really like to see the return of is the very thin selection circles around characters.

Even if selection circles is an option in the options menu, I would like the ability to toggle them on for all creatures (easier to flick click things when microing battles etc).

I found that the BG/IWD style was the best, very thin green selection circle for your units, red for enemies and light blue for non-hostiles. The colors depends on the programming I guess, I assume that the status of a unit in the game is determined by it's state in programming terms, so that shouldn't be too difficult.

I'm not really a fan of the more bolded circle of the post BG games.

BG style

baldurs-gate-4.png

other examples

Planescape Torment

planescape_torment01.jpg

ToEE style

superthief.jpg

BG:Eunuch Edition

BGEE2.png

Edited by Sensuki

I just assumed they would include them, but I agree the BG minimalist style is best.

You can also shift-click to place waypoints on the map so a character follows the path you set, rather than a straight line or AI-adjusted path. It'd be good if we could continue to do that too.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

I'd like it if the circles could show facing, without necessarily going overboard. Perhaps the forward part of the circle could be made slightly wider and the rear slightly narrower? Or possibly a crescent-shaped arc could be used to show the forward direction.

subtract.jpg

Edited by rjshae
  • Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I was just thinking about the selection circles the other day. I truly do not like how BG:EE changed them for no reason (a closeup for a better view):

a29gxx.jpg

Double circles with all the wrong colors! What's the point of that, to match their equipment color? They're not even all unique to tell apart the individual party members, which would make these new selection circles minimally practical when you're trying to figure out who the heck pathed all the way to the other side of the map for no reason. DO NOT WANT.

There are four items Obsidian needs to keep in mind when it comes to the selection circles:

1. Enemy/ally/neutral

2. Which one is actually selected

3. Control status indication

4. Directional indication

IMO,

1: I agree with OP that the coloration should be the same as in the IE games. Green for party, red for enemy, blue for neutral.

2: The IE games merely "lit up" the selection circle along with the party portrait when you had a specific character click-selected. The lit party portrait is good enough on the UI side, though a double-circle on the selected avatar may be more helpful than just a brighter circle. I don't mind either way, though. Perhaps these things can be put into options.

3: Fear from either spell or low morale was indicated by a yellow circle, but that was the only other categorical addition to #1 in the IE games. Obsidian may be able to be a little more creative with status circles, but it's just a matter of going overboard, especially when the portrait icons should be clear and concise. For example, since we have 3D rendering, perhaps all status indicators like fear/confusion/etc. can be floating icons above the avatar's head while the general ally/enemy circle color remains the same. Or maybe all status changes like confusion/fear/hold/etc. will change a circle to yellow meaning you lost control. Regardless, selection circles should be categorically consistent, unlike the BG:EE party stupidity above.

4: I didn't think much about this before because the only directional action I use regularly is backstab, but if positioning and the like are going to add even more tactical flavor to PE, Obsidian should figure out a simple directional indicator; maybe there can be multiple options? A simple line (like the "power" symbol), an arrowhead set flush to the selection circle, half-circles, varying line thickness, etc. (A bi-direction keyboard shortcut to turn avatar facing direction would be very nice, too.)

294nlts.jpg

Edit:

I just assumed they would include them, but I agree the BG minimalist style is best.

You can also shift-click to place waypoints on the map so a character follows the path you set, rather than a straight line or AI-adjusted path. It'd be good if we could continue to do that too.

Oooooooh, did not know that. Awesome. *plays around with this in BG:EE* Obsidian, can you expand this ability? Like allow small indicators to remain on the map for each pathing waypoint you set? That would be.... so cool.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Maybe you could have a little glowing, contrasty circle on the selection circle at the location of the direction of that character/creature's facing? Maybe even rjshae's tapered selection circle, with a contrasting (color or brightness or what-have-you) small circle as well?

Also, I think having as much of that detailed information (specific facings, pathing, weapon range) as possible (within reason) would be fantastic, especially with the tactical nature of P:E's combat design so far. Maybe all this stuff (except facings, which should always be shown, if you want them to be) could be split up between the TAB function (I think that's what traditionally shows you character paths and round-actions and such?) and the ability-targeting context interface. You know... you select an ability to use, but now you've entered target-selection mode. Well, mouse-overing targets could give you context that would be useful to that ability. Maybe you could see that enemy's immediate path (if he's currently moving) and the 180-degree mark that denotes a backstab, etc. Stuff like that. Only things that you're capable of knowing, but that's hard to keep track of all at once when you're paused (where exactly was that guy running again?), and you pause because it's tough to track it all real-time.

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u

As long as I can turn them off like in IE games, I'm fine. I'm all for additional information, but in this case I don't have a problem keeping track of people or their facing.

As long as I can turn them off like in IE games, I'm fine. I'm all for additional information, but in this case I don't have a problem keeping track of people or their facing.

Oh yes, all of these should be options. The feedback sliders should certainly stick around, maybe with discrete distinctions (checkboxes) as well. I think an option to show all (optionally chosen) indicators only when paused would be great too.

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

Of course, even if just for nostalgia. I agree the BG:EE seem weird (from the screen, didn't buy it, fine enough with my own BG). First thought they made colors for each char, but no, 3 are white.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee