What if you could discover an NPC that was created dynamically, and designed to be your Kindred Soul? So that he/she were a different class/build each playthrough depending on your own class/build. And only once you found them, together you could perform super awesome abilities, either in combat or spellcasting, or both, or in other ways.

Or maybe there's a trade-off? And depending on your future actions, you either bring them closer to you or drive them away. It could cover some elements of romance/bromance and other complexities of party make-up. A power shift in companions, jealousy, or even treachery.

Thoughts ????

post-48060-0-93471900-1357875457_thumb.jpg

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

They already do this in Pokemon, by making your "rival" choose the element that counters yours. In more recent versions of the game they have toned down the difficulty so its not as big of a disadvantage, but the idea is still interesting.

I think it is okay if you want to babysit to the player and give them an NPC that compliments their character. So if they are a wizard, give them a fighter to protect them. If they are a warrior, give them a cleric to heal them.

It sounds like you are focusing more on the story aspect, and the whole powers and abilities is more of a repercussion of your ability to maintain a relationship with the person. I think this would only be interesting if your actions determined the fate of your companion. There would need to be a forced separation in the mid/late game, and then depending on your actions you either fight your kindred soul, ally with them against the villain, or they die/leave and you have to go without them. I guess another option would be for you to merge or something.

It is certainly a good idea story-wise, but mechanically I think it interferes with the balance to much. I personally hate it when the protagonist is significantly stronger than everyone else around him, so I would want the actual game play changes to be subtle.

It would be a very interesting twist if the kindred soul could turn against you and steal some of your party members as it goes on its own adventure!

• Like 2

I think it is okay if you want to babysit to the player and give them an NPC that compliments their character. So if they are a wizard, give them a fighter to protect them. If they are a warrior, give them a cleric to heal them.

This is where it could get really tricky, or really interesting. They wouldn't need to complement the main character necessarily. There could be a complex decision tree that determines the resulting build. One that won't overpower things.

Either way, it would most definitely impact the overall story design, to cater for different outcomes. Imagine the anticipation though, with each playthrough, trying different builds and adventuring choices.

• Like 1

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

It could cover some elements of romance/bromance and other complexities of party make-up.

Did you just imply wonder twins incest?

They already do this in Pokemon, by making your "rival" choose the element that counters yours. In more recent versions of the game they have toned down the difficulty so its not as big of a disadvantage, but the idea is still interesting.

That's not a "kindred spirit."

It could cover some elements of romance/bromance and other complexities of party make-up.

Did you just imply wonder twins incest?

Who knows what they get up to off camera? :yes:

But they did come to mind because of the synergy they create when combining powers.

That would be really interesting, although I think it might imply fragmentation of the PC's soul... or maybe the existence of soulmates. It would sort of be refreshing to see the idea of a "soul mate" just being a good friend or even somewhat of an adversary. Remove the sparkliness off of the term. XD

It might also be interesting if they're... did they say the word was... "awakened"? Where you remember your past lives? It would be interesting if they remember "you", or your soul. Or something happens that makes them remember you or you remember them. I know it could open up a slew of dialogue responses for the PC that could prove to be entertaining. Although... maybe an NPC that isn't a companion recognizing you/your soul would be the better option, so that the narrative doesn't clearly favor one companion over the other, no matter what relationships are available.

Overall, though, I think it's an interesting concept that opens up a lot of roleplaying opportunities and potentially interesting combat options. But I think it would have to be carefully executed.

• Like 1

Captain James Hook: No stopping me this time, Smee. This is it. Don't make a move Smee, not a step. My finger's on the trigger. Don't try to stop me, Smee.

Smee: Oh, not again.

Captain James Hook: This is it. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't you dare try to stop me this time, Smee, try to stop me. Smee, you'd better get up off your ass. Get over here, Smee.

Smee: I'm coming. I'm coming.

Captain James Hook: Stop me. This is not a joke. I'm committing suicide.

Captain James Hook: Don't ever frighten me like that again.

Smee: I'm sorry.

Captain James Hook: What are you? Some kind of a sadist?

Smee: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. How do you feel now?

Captain James Hook: I want to die.

Soulmates? How romantic.

Could be useful for teaching newer players class and party dynamics.

But it should be something you achieve. an NPC you an unlock with a fairly tough quest.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

Soulmates? How romantic.

Could be useful for teaching newer players class and party dynamics.

But it should be something you achieve. an NPC you an unlock with a fairly tough quest.

I was thinking more of an actual plot point when it happens, but is not something you have prior knowledge of. You just stumble upon this person in your travels, and then BOOM. It's clear you must work together. At least to achieve the next stage of your quest, whatever that may be.

Personally, I wouldn't want it to go into romance territory. I think it could be so much more than that. If there had to be an element of romance, I would vote for something like the sexual tension between Mulder and Scully, or the awesome bromance between JD and Turk in Scrubs. Any more than that and we're verging on synchronized vomiting I'm afraid.

Hopefully by this point, new players will have a pretty good idea of how party dynamics work, but the possibilities now become increasingly complex.

Edited by TRX850

Actually I kinda really , really like the idea, but only when it comes to him/her being mainly a rival, it would allow to have big political plot , and have a very personal adversary, an NPC that is created by our choice during game, who leveles up with as we progress through game, always joing side opossed to us.

It really opens number of interesting possibilites, and I always love games that have some sort of NPC or Group that feels like they have their own story, a second hero ,that shows that the world isn't centered around our character.

• Like 2

That would be really interesting, although I think it might imply fragmentation of the PC's soul... or maybe the existence of soulmates. It would sort of be refreshing to see the idea of a "soul mate" just being a good friend or even somewhat of an adversary. Remove the sparkliness off of the term. XD

It might also be interesting if they're... did they say the word was... "awakened"? Where you remember your past lives? It would be interesting if they remember "you", or your soul. Or something happens that makes them remember you or you remember them. I know it could open up a slew of dialogue responses for the PC that could prove to be entertaining. Although... maybe an NPC that isn't a companion recognizing you/your soul would be the better option, so that the narrative doesn't clearly favor one companion over the other, no matter what relationships are available.

Overall, though, I think it's an interesting concept that opens up a lot of roleplaying opportunities and potentially interesting combat options. But I think it would have to be carefully executed.

I like it for this idea alone; you could do a lot with this. Maybe a leading conversation where you can flesh out, for instance, some of your past lives, which may affect this npc's relationship with you, or with other party members. Maybe even the dialogue tree could unlock a certain skill, or grant some kind of bonus (or even just remove a handicap you might have for whatever reason).

• Like 1

Do you like hardcore realistic survival simulations? Take a gander at this.