What's the one RPG trope you can deal without in PE?

A few words of encouragement here or there from the Player, when the character themselves begins to see things in a new light, is all well and good. But the Players having the power practically beat someone over the head with the Stick of Change is something that I dislike, greatly.

Don't think that's a real problem, I'd like to say 80% of companions are the same person as when you met them well in to the sequels and beyond. The other 20% are either love interests which do sometimes make a 180, or the "You're right I shouldn't want to kill that guy so bad. I won't think about killing them anymore, Thanks," types.

But on tropes; Can't think of anything that bothers me too much with the exception of having found some sort of Skinner/Buffallo Bill/Silence of the Lambs type of dude in three different games already. While I do a appreciate the horror sidestory, I'd like to see something different than a rash of recent murders leads you to some creepy house on the docks where someone is trying to creepily necromancy there "love" back or making a tavern wench jump suit.

And I'm really excited Obsidian is giving the inventory it's all, the bag of holding was good, but just not right.

Join Guards Or Thieves questline.

Giant Spiders.

Collect Giant Spider's Venom Sacks.

This. When I started playing Arcanum recently, I didn't know whether to laugh or smash my head into the wall when, in the wreckage of a crashed zeppelin, a middle aged man in a dapper business suit starts talking about how you're the chosen one and you must defeat the great evil one

Nasreddin--....

What? It's not an Obsidian game :cat:
"Bad game" you said, unable to figure out that second gun in gunmaking tree can carry you half of the game, or that system actually allows creation of hybrid characters easely. So I will have you forever spoiled off one of the best moments in the game.
Not just you. Actually, every one of you who read this thread - if you still have't finished an amazing RPG Arcanum is. Rightfully deserved.
Yes, even Mr. Avellone.

...fine, fine. I won't.

Edited by Shadenuat
  • Like 1

"Hamfisted idiotic evil vs brave intelligent good".

Im tired of seeing evil archvillains employ idiotic tactics, employ moronic lieutenants and becomming moronic themselves. It would be nice to have some descicions where being "good" nessecitated extreme brutality and being "evil" was possible without resorting to brute force and shortsighted gains.

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

Im tired of seeing evil archvillains employ idiotic tactics, employ moronic lieutenants and becomming moronic themselves. It would be nice to have some descicions where being "good" nessecitated extreme brutality and being "evil" was possible without resorting to brute force and shortsighted gains.

I dunno, most stories are cowardly intelligent evil vs brave dumb farmboy. I hate that to no end.
  • Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

I dunno, most stories are cowardly intelligent evil vs brave dumb farmboy. I hate that to no end.

Thats almost as bad. But "cowardly" is usually mistaken for "sneaky" and "machiavelian cunning" in most stories.

I dont like stand up fights. If I can kill you in your sleep, with a 155mm howitzer, from 60 miles away without anyone knowing that it was me or why the building you lived in desintegrated, Ill call that "fair".

"Politicians. Little tin gods on wheels". -Rudyard Kipling. A European Fallout timeline? Dont mind if I do!

I could certainly do without the conceit that the protagonist must be able to grow/level to be able to defeat all potential opponents in the game.  The achieving of victory with regards to the main storyline must be within the grasp of the protagonist.  But if there were a couple of potential pitfalls lurking within the game I would consider this superior design.

If you're too stupid to recognize that in a game with a level range from, say, 1-18, that you have no business confronting a level 27 opponent that's tucked away in some creepy crypt, dismal swamp, or forbidding and distant mountains, then you deserve to have your head handed to you.  Warnings should be offered, of course, for those who bother to look for them or listen for them, but I don't think it's necessary that our protagonist always end up the toughest kid on the block.

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

A false sense of urgency while you spend weeks, months or even years on sidequests and other things.

This might be moot as BG2 did this quite well with the first chapters being about gathering money to do dirty dealings with the shadow thieves, DAO also did solve this by having you recruit allies.