Favorite Enemy's/ Boss/ Evil characters from games or movies. (you whoud like to see in PE or just like them)

New, original characters is my preference.

The problem is that no character is totally original. I think that the purpose of this thread is to discuss what kind of villain we would like to see.

I have no interest in seeing pale copies of characters from other games or from fictional stories. Any writer worth his salt can develop in-game personalities that feel right for a setting. Besides, I never used the word 'totally' and I do understand the purpose of this thread. I'm just saying that I don't need characters that satisfy a nerdy nostalgia trip. :)

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

How about... no villain? For example, imagine that your enemy is a harmful philosophy/ideology that has entrenched itself into your society (think nacionalism/Stalinism with magic to back it up). Kill a figurehead/leader of the cause, and it is easily replaced (an ideological hydra). Maybe there's some malevolent Power behind it, but it is (for the time being, until your character is of epic levels, at least) untouchable/transcendent.

Of course, to drive the story forward, the game would require villains as points of focus, but they need not have to be irredeemable. Even Sarevok could be convinced to join your cause and, if handled properly, change his alignment.

• Like 1

How about... no villain?

That was impsible even in Alpha Protocol becose if you chose side, other sides started to be your enemys.

Villain is only word useing to call your enemy when you whant to feel "Im realy fighing a bad guy". Killing, rapeing, stealing and other "WRONG" actions are in games only to justyfy your decision .... without does you whoud realy be not able to chose side. But of couse im 100% for not pure evil villain but in some way there allways will something more "Evil" ... without that is just random choice.

Those "evil actions" can be by someone interprated difrently then others so in the end to all of us there always gonna be some badguy.

I'd prefer P:E to have original, well-written antagonists rather than fanfiction ripoffs of existing characters.

How about... no villain? For example, imagine that your enemy is a harmful philosophy/ideology that has entrenched itself into your society (think nacionalism/Stalinism with magic to back it up). Kill a figurehead/leader of the cause, and it is easily replaced (an ideological hydra). Maybe there's some malevolent Power behind it, but it is (for the time being, until your character is of epic levels, at least) untouchable/transcendent.

Of course, to drive the story forward, the game would require villains as points of focus, but they need not have to be irredeemable. Even Sarevok could be convinced to join your cause and, if handled properly, change his alignment.

You don't really understand how societies work, huh? Feminism has existed for decades, why is misogyny still rampant? Why do women earn 70 cents for every dollar a man earns?

Nationalism and nationalist sentiment are alive and well in many countries (the US, most former Soviet states, Russia especially, the Balkan states, China, etc.)

The US tried to literally fight communism in Vietnam. How did that turn out?

The Civil Rights movement in the US "succeeded," why are african americans still at the bottom of the metaphorical pecking order? Why are black males the largest prison population in the US?

And all of these concepts are abstract, relativistic concepts. Nationalists believe they're right and their country is better than everyone else's and should be in charge. Racists believe their race is superior to others, and they believe that the idea of equality or tolerance is a harmful philosophy/ideology that has entrenched itself into their society.

These things aren't "malevolent Powers" that you can just beat up with a sword and magic missiles until suddenly everyone's ideas and ideals change as the "malevolent power" is defeated.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 2

I'd prefer P:E to have original, well-written antagonists rather than fanfiction ripoffs of existing characters.

Of course, but by referencing other examples we can get a vibe of what kind of thing is appreciated. They're supposed to be inspiration, nothing else.

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

In betwen bouts of gluttony, greed and sloth I watched the original Clash of the Titans over the sunny jolly hols, has to be said that Harryhausens Medusa still made me a trifle uneasy. Great boss monster, of course the stop motion oddity of movement helps enormously in this regard, everything just seems a little off.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

An unnaturally powerful swordman filling his enemies with dread whenever he shows up, unbeatable almost to the end and the antagonist who leads most of the villains' operations. This one being inspired by Wrath from the manga Fullmetal Alchemist.

A racist with a burning, irrational hatred of another race or culture because of past events, a dangerous sociopath specialized in the hunt of those from the culture he hates. Inspired by Eggskull from the franco-belgian comic book Blueberry.

Well, my all time favourite video-game villain is Jon Irenicus from Baldur's Gate 2.

Others...

Adam Suttler from V for Vendetta comes to mind.

Mr. House from Fallout: New Vegas.

Tom Sizemore in Strange Days. ( I don't remember the name of his character. )

Colonel Kurtz from Apocalypse Now.

• Like 1

So, Shakespeare's Iago from Hamlet is my favorite.

Does he appear in Hamlet too? He's the main antagonist in Othello. A real ****.

I liked the evil and paranoid incarnations in Planescape Torment. Very non-traditional "enemies", but the way you found out about their evil deeds as the story developed was great.

• Like 1

I believe this has been reiterated to death; the OP had a poor choice of words, but we can let it go for the sake of the greater discussion.

You don't really understand how societies work, huh? Feminism has existed for decades, why is misogyny still rampant? Why do women earn 70 cents for every dollar a man earns?

Evidently he's in good company! So perhaps we can, rather than put our **** in something experts have spent lifetimes discussing and writing gigantic texts on, show a rather easy example in a mainstream game (indeed, a series already mentioned here once before).

Assassin's Creed's Templar's ideology (had to make it possessive; had to). These Templars are like any terrorist organization; you take out a leader or 2nd in command and they've got another one over night. The more you kill of them the more they use it to fuel their recruitment drives. Given the pre-existing religious conflcit I don't see this as being hard to weave into the game as a part of the greater Journey of Self Discovery and Such as a Watcher (a paper someone someday shall surely write, once we've actually gotten our grubby mitts on the game).

Example:

City A is full of group B's worshippers working in the shadows against nation A and its blasphemy. Group B, to this end, gets a bomb (which we know can level entire cities in the world of P:E) and is working on assembling it underneath the legislature or temple or somesuch (Guy Fawkes style). The Watcher is then presented with a choice; help sow discord in the ranks of group A because you think they're twats and only the people in the legislature will be killed by the bomb, deliver the bomb to group B's hideout instead (via cablecar or portal or whateverMcGuffinisthe****athand) and give the tossers a right tossing. Thirdly you disable the bomb, also known as "pussying out," and as I'm baselessly assuming a Watcher is meant to be a mediating agent in the world of P:E gets a big thumbs up from whatever cause they stand for. And, you know, everyone who enjoys not getting killed.

You'd have to grapple with collateral damage (either way innocents get killed if it goes off underneath the city) between the ideologies. You don't stab the ideology, but you do figuratively bloody one or the other's nose a bit. Perhaps this just incesses it, but hey-- you are fighting the good fight, aren't you?

Conversly if the bomb doesn't go off, group B goes with the backup plan and storms into the streets to combat group A head on. They're not particularly gunning for civilians, but there's still a right mess in the streets that the PC has to sort through. Both sides will be like "mate, what happened with the whole bomb plan?" Might be fun to give the PC a chance to keep playing both sides until they and the party are safely out of the city, having to excuse their way through every barricade as to why the other side hasn't shot them silly full of arrows and bullets.

TL;DR: You can fight ideologies with swords, magic, and even bombs; it's just the roundabout fashion of coersion.

• Like 1

CORSAIR, n. A politician of the seas. ~The Devil's Dictionary

Since this is really all opinionated, I would rather there be multiple "villains" instead of Lord McEvilton the Randomly Cruel and his infinite amount of not-as-evil lackeys. With a "villain" I feel more compelled to fight back if I understand WHY they are evil, or even some conflict of interest if the story turns out to be really deep. I'm not talking about massive plot seppukus like "but the villain is actually your FATHER!" but maybe some interconnectivity with the world around them.

What personally makes me enjoy a villain is a fresh take on why they should be the "bad guy." Of course money and power attribute to the "People are evil at their core" moral humdrummery, but I'd say my favorite villain was one who fought on the side of righteousness for so long that he began feeling sorry for the forces of evil, so he tried being the "bad guy" to understand why others chose that path and realized it was far more interesting.

Probably only a few know him, but I like characters like Nox, in some way he is very similar to Marlow's Doctor Faustus...

http://villains.wikia.com/wiki/Nox

1342793552485.png

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)

My favorite villian for this kind of game is your best friend/mentor/aprentice/sun/father.

Yes There not bigger morron of evil that Sasuke from the manga/anime Naruto, Darth Vader from Star Wars and the story goes on.

And thats what i want in my main enemy.

I want That My best friend and trusty companion, as that has a little dark side but is not bad to fall deep into the shadow claws of my enemy and then he turn into the root of all evil.

Yes my best friend is now everithing we(becasue his old self would hate himself also) hated.

Thats why i love and hate stories like Star Wars, Naruto, Tactics Ogre and so on.

When you go to that battle to that shadow figure of evil and its that person you cared about, i love those punches in the gut. But i dont want to be another evil grunt he needs to be on the top taking over the evil empire and so on.

It all depends on a typo of villain do we need, I actually would like to go to either one of two extremes, either very personal villain, a guy that had his own adventure, a game who himself is great , something like Ulysses in F:NV or maybe Caim from Drakengard II

or maybe a complitly no character , no face, just simple blue and orange morality force, that have some very specified goals, but do not tell does goals just acts to acomplish them and heroes must learn them themselves( of course then things like taking over the world obviously need to get out) I remember code lyoko, from when I was younger and for a Children show, it's Villian had some reall awesome moments when they actually utilized this things

I find the idea of solving all plot/world's problems by killing one dude a childish and harmful trope. I'd prefer a larger cast of characters with different ideologies which can become player's friends or enemies naturally, like you could believe that both sides are right.

Basically, I am most interested when there is a fight between one Good and another Good.

• Like 1

I had a nightmare last night. In it was a villain who was really scary because I couldn't harm him, he had my (non-existent) daughter captive and coerced me to fight for him and commit atrocities. I never saw an option to flee, fight him, or avoid any of it. so I was made into his accomplice against my will. I cannot describe how scary the nightmare was.

He also kept toying with me, challenging me to games I couldn't win and then cutting off fingers as punishment for losing. And of course I couldn't refuse to participate.

Or he'd put me in the neighbourhood of a gun, under the pretext of demonstrating his and his son's marksmanship prowess, and I wouldn't know if there was a chance in hell of me being able to sneakily pick up the weapon and pulling the trigger on him or not. Whether it was even loaded or not. All my choices were wrong. Eventually he murdered my (again, non-existent) daughter while I was away, and when I came back pretended it was business as usual. But only after I had to come back during missions to see her being raped. Again with him pretending nothing out of the ordinary was going on. I knew that if I acted I would die without any results, so I could do nothing but suffer through it. biding my time. Never been so scared of a nightmare. I constantly had to make sure I either didn't seem to obedient (because that would make him bored with me) Too scared (same story) or too useless (because then I'd surely die as well, or never get close to him again) So I had to seem chafing in my bondage. Since this sociopath took pleasure in watching me squirm.

And then when I eventually did get into the lucid dreaming state where you can take an active hand in the story, I killed him, then got arrested after the war (there was a war) for committing atrocities and hanged. (why didn't you stand up to him? do what was right and die.)

which got me thinking. A scary villain takes an active hand in your suffering, he appears to be unbeatable, and keeps you close.

My nightmare was much much more weird (as dreams tend to be) and scary but that was the gist of it.

• Like 1

Remember: Argue the point, not the person. Remain polite and constructive. Friendly forums have friendly debate. There's no shame in being wrong. If you don't have something to add, don't post for the sake of it. And don't be afraid to post thoughts you are uncertain about, that's what discussion is for.
---
Pet threads, everyone has them. I love imagining Gods, Monsters, Factions and Weapons.

A Doom-like villain would work better in PE because they would actually have plans and desires that can be independent of the PC. The problem with Joker is that he defines himself completely as being an anti-Batman, so he does not have any long-term goals or desires besides being Batman's nemesis, which is why Joker never kills Batman.

That's why i also sad that i don't want him in PE. Mayby some kind of psychopath actincg simillar but not him. (doesn't fitt in setting)

The problem with a psychopath is that unless they are incredibly powerful, it is hard to have one as a villain because they would end up killing all of their followers or screwing up their own plans. Someone calculating and with some measure of self-control makes for a much more effective and believable villain.

The powerfull psychopath can be servan of someones stronger and more calculated. Serving him as wardog, or killer etc. It whoud be nice to seeing some plot twist when this type of character break the chain and even atack his old master ...

Meh, the servant attacking the master and taking his place has been done quite a bit.

Not if he joins your party :D and based on your choices in the game he either betrays you at a least convenient time for you or stays to the end, cause you are 'Fun'

I think a psychopath would be best served as a recurring, major pain in the ass. Someone that seems to shrug off bodily damage as their psychosis makes them less aware, or even completely uncaring of the damage inflicted upon them. A clever psychopath that's likely to use underhanded techniques could make for an incredibly scary experience. But I don't think it would make for an appropriate "final villain". A character that is that insane usually is an agent of destruction or chaos and just wants to blow up the world, and we've had enough of those already. Even with a more personal fixation engineered, like Joker to Batman, that doesn't make for a villain of legends.

I am all for the "road to hell is paved with good intentions" type villains. People who want to accomplish something noble, but lose themselves in the process. After all, great visions and the resources required to make them come to pass tend to require compromising certain convictions. Each compromise may seem small, but over time, they become worse and worse, and add up to a lot. I particularly like when these villains are AWARE of all that they sacrificed, without being as tainted by it. They might be more hardened for it, but they derive no pleasure in kicking puppies or doing horrible things. Maybe they even feel regret or disappointment in having to go against the PC, who they feel could've been an asset. Or if not an asset, maybe they simply don't like the idea of harming others, but feel it's necessary to accomplish their goals.

A villain I particularly like is "The Operative" from Serenity. A man that knows that he's evil, but willing serves an ideal for a better world at all costs, even if he realizes he will have no place in it.

I also tend to like PC vs. Themselves. Man vs. Himself stories tend to be quite intriguing. They are perhaps some of the hardest to implement, as you tend to be combatting an abstract force rather than an actualized adversary, but they are some of my favorite stories to read.

Captain James Hook: No stopping me this time, Smee. This is it. Don't make a move Smee, not a step. My finger's on the trigger. Don't try to stop me, Smee.

Smee: Oh, not again.

Captain James Hook: This is it. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee. Don't you dare try to stop me this time, Smee, try to stop me. Smee, you'd better get up off your ass. Get over here, Smee.

Smee: I'm coming. I'm coming.

Captain James Hook: Stop me. This is not a joke. I'm committing suicide.

Captain James Hook: Don't ever frighten me like that again.

Smee: I'm sorry.

Captain James Hook: What are you? Some kind of a sadist?

Smee: I'm sorry. I'm sorry. How do you feel now?

Captain James Hook: I want to die.

I would enjoy seeing a FF Kefka-like villian, one who just wants to watch the world burn, also I enjoyed dagoth ur and vivec as villians. Ones pronouced as a villian but really hes only a villian necause his master plan for world peace had a flaw in it and one was pronouced as a good guy but was actually one of the ones who started the whole cycle of chaos and destruction for greedy and personal power.

KOTOR2's final boss... that was just... great o.o

"The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves: You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin (RIP!)