Followers and the player's influence on them

Influence on NPC followers  

72 members have voted

1. 1. How much influence do you want to have over the actions of your followers?

• I want it all - they have no AI and only do what I tell them to
    • They should follow my orders, but in combat their AI can also take over
    • I only want to give them orders for specific stuff like lockpicking and in crucial combat situations
    • They should completely act on their own. They loot chests when they want to and cannot be controlled during combat (giving orders is possible though)
  2. 2. Should you be in charge of their level-ups?

• Yes, I want their stats to increase just like I have in mind
    • I want just enough control so that they don't acquire skills they don't need as members of my current party
    • No, I don't want to concern myself with that
    • No, they're characters with minds of their own, I should not force them to acquire certain skills etc.

@Dream: So what you're saying is that basically you just want to "win" this conversation by any means. Look, I didn't give you reasons why the developers should listen to what I say, I gave you reasons why I'm interested in this project completely regardless of the combat system it is using.

Just to cut down on all that though, while something like the HP system or the dodge system may be a major change to the design, what you propose here verges on turning it into an entirely different genre. At their most basic, the IE games are squad based tactical RPGs, by relinquishing control of the squad it becomes something else entirely. As I said in my previous post I don't have any problems with implementing both, but not having party management as an option would basically strip 90% of the tactics off the gameplay.

And as I have said before, I have no problem with having both options, and I am in fact not proposing anything. I would, personally, prefer a game where the AI does even more than it does nowadays in RPGs (and that does NOT concern combat so much that it would turn into a different genre - combat is mostly fine the way it's usually done nowadays in "IE inspired games" like NWN2, the AI is just not good enough yet), but even then it should always be optional.

Just keep in mind that while a game might be catered to certain hardcore fans, developers rarely want to alienate other potential players. And the hardcore fans, they do not need to be represented anymore on this forum. Finding out what "casual RPG players" want can be very important for developers. Especially if what they're interested in isn't something that can't be done with the game they're doing for the hardcore crowd. This isn't an either/or, if it was, I wouldn't even talk about it.

Having as much AI control as you're asking for isn't something you can have as an option because it would fundamentally change the game. Should the developers add a casual difficulty where the enemies are so easy that NPC AI can handle them and the companions have autoleveling? Sure, but for the harder difficulties you should be required to micromanage the party.

The party members should do exactly what I tell them. The only time their AI should do anything at all is when I've given them no instruction. So, if I tell my Fighter to hit something, he should keep hitting it until it is dead, and then, if I don't give him another instruction, he should select a new target on his own.

NWN2's detailed AI settings were good, but they had the unfortunate habit of taking over even when I'd given that character a specific instruction. And while I could have disabled the AI by enabling puppet mode, that would prevent the character from then doing the next thing when that first task was complete.

I'd like to see the AI make decisions, but only when making a decision doesn't undo a decision I have already made. This would also mean that I would need to have some means to tell a character to stand still and do nothing (DAO allowed this simply by keeping the character selected and not teling him to do anything).

Would you like an AI that can be turned completely off, has adjustable variables(like who the character attacks, if they will use spells or abilities on their won, when they will use potions, for example), and is always superseded by player commands?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I'd like them to be independant characters with free will.

I ~would~ like some control over their development. It's annoying if you can't use a character you really like, because his or her characteristics happens to overlap the main protagonist's. But otherwise than that, they should do as they please.

Would you like an AI that can be turned completely off, has adjustable variables(like who the character attacks, if they will use spells or abilities on their won, when they will use potions, for example), and is always superseded by player commands?

Yes. In fact, if the AI was always superceded by player commands, I don't think I would ever need to disable the AI. I would very much like the AI to make decisions whenever I'm not doing it. Perhaps let me re-enable the AI as a queued item, so I'll give a character a series of instructions, the last of which is "make your own decisions". If I don't add that instruction, puppet mode would continue and the character would just stand still and wait.

God used to be my co-pilot, but then we crashed in the Andes and I had to eat him.

The party AI/behavior serves the awesome purpose of making sure your party is performing somewhere above 0% combat efficiency, but it definitely shouldn't have them performing at 100% efficiency on its own. So, nothing but manual control (while I'm not against that being a togglable option, if you so choose) would be a little overkill in the "I have to spend all my time just making sure we don't die to rats because my party's just staring at them while they gnaw all our feet off" respect.

Honestly, the Dragon Age (1 and 2) "tactics" system was a good system, it was just SO crude. The 2nd game was far better than the first, but in the "Yay, now we're in beta instead of alpha!" way. Something like that system would be pretty nice. Especially if, say, spells and abilities have a lot more tactical utility than in many other games. Let's say a Monk ability has a powerful knockback as well as deals crushing damage. Well, you may want that character to use that on heavily armored foes, for the damage effectiveness. But, you might also want them to use it on some melee berzerker enemy, simply to knock it across the room (and you don't care how much damage the ability dealt to it) so that other characters (or just other attacks/abilities) can take it down while it doesn't shred one of your party members. The latter scenario might be a priority (damage prevention) over the former scenario (more effective damage dealing to a foe who may or may not be an immediate threat).

It would be very nice to be able to set some pretty specific behaviors. I'd much rather have that than the typical 3-stage overly-simplistic "Be aggressive!/Be defensive!/Be passive!" thing, which sometimes gets coupled with the "Throw spells like there's no tomorrow!/Use some spells sometimes!/Maybe once a year, on your birthday, use a spell, if you feel like it!" options. When you get into the tactical rough, you end up either manually controlling everyone every second (rendering the behavior settings moot) or changing them 4 times for different stages of the battle (which takes about as much time as the manual control, therefore also rendering the behavior settings pretty moot).

Example: "Wait! That troll is changing targets! YOU, blow all your mana! YOU, start attacking this little Goblin, and stop using so much mana! There, that should... WAIT! He's switched targets again? Okay, okay, go back to what you were doing!"

(I realize the details of the example systems aren't necessarily going to be present in P:E, but the effects of the party's AI/behavior controls carry over to pretty much any similar RPG party combat system.)

Should we not start with some Ipelagos, or at least some Greater Ipelagos, before tackling a named Arch Ipelago? 6_u