Anime - the emotional rolercoaster.

TrashMan

Ugh, that's gonna be hard. The main problem is that I only recently started watching anime again and I pretty much forgot most of what I watched before that. Though I'm willing to give it a shot.

This list only includes TV series (if it were movies, they would probably take all 5 spots).

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Good or bad this one is the original Emotional Roller Coaster for me. I have watched it so long ago, but it still sticks with me even now.

2. Death Note - Really liked the concept and execution, though season 1 was by far superior to season 2.

3. Code Geass - Again, liked the concept and execution. Solid series throughout.

4. Kyoukai No Kanata - Beyond The Boundary - Liked it

5. Guilty Crown -  Not too sure about this one being here, but it left an impression on me

Kyousougiga was in contention for 5th place.

Samurai Champloo as an honorable mention.

I probably forgot about some anime I watched years ago as I used to watch a lot, before I completely switched to manga, but if I forgot them they probably don't belong on the list.

There you go, not the most revolutionary list and you probably watched them, but this is what I like.

Thanks for the recommendations, dude - you'd be surprised how many of these I haven't seen. Samurai Champloo is great though! That I haven't watched Evangelion is probably sacrilege. I really should give it a go.

Thanks for the recommendations, dude - you'd be surprised how many of these I haven't seen. Samurai Champloo is great though! That I haven't watched Evangelion is probably sacrilege. I really should give it a go.

RahXephon >>> Evangelion

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Ugh, that's gonna be hard. The main problem is that I only recently started watching anime again and I pretty much forgot most of what I watched before that. Though I'm willing to give it a shot.

This list only includes TV series (if it were movies, they would probably take all 5 spots).

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Good or bad this one is the original Emotional Roller Coaster for me. I have watched it so long ago, but it still sticks with me even now.

2. Death Note - Really liked the concept and execution, though season 1 was by far superior to season 2.

3. Code Geass - Again, liked the concept and execution. Solid series throughout.

4. Kyoukai No Kanata - Beyond The Boundary - Liked it

5. Guilty Crown -  Not too sure about this one being here, but it left an impression on me

Kyousougiga was in contention for 5th place.

Samurai Champloo as an honorable mention.

I probably forgot about some anime I watched years ago as I used to watch a lot, before I completely switched to manga, but if I forgot them they probably don't belong on the list.

There you go, not the most revolutionary list and you probably watched them, but this is what I like.

i will add some.

chrono crusade, starts like a goofy action and then drowns you in the feels.

legend of the galactic heroes, the game of thrones of anime (nuff said)

planetes, what Gravity wanted to be and failed miserably (a realistic space adventure)

the original gunbuster, hard to find but really worth it. it's a bit over the top like gurren lagaan (other recomendation) and you may have to not think too deep on some details, but the execution is flawless and the ending will make you cry.

GaoGaiGar, sounds and looks a bit silly at first and the first 15 episodes are slow and boring (i almost slept at 8 ) but then its a crescendo of awesomeness that reaches epic proportions towards the end. the story itself is not too complex or twisty but for that it has no holes and the director was a boss

and last but not least, toward the terra, space opera that fells like a mix of blade runner and star trek

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

Thanks - I'll give these a go. Planetes is one of my absolute favourites. The second half is a bona fide emotional roller coaster. Good call!

Recently watched Barakamon - very sweet - and I'm currently working my way through Hyouka. I'm greedy for more anime. I need an intervention.

I decided to start watching Kill la Kill since Adult Swim started showing it and stopped showing Attack on Titan. Still missed a bunch of episodes there in the middle. :(

Anyway, not what I expected at all. Much sillier.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Watched Aldnoah.Zero to the latest episode. My impressions on it are... well it has a Code Geass vibe, a really strong one. I mean it's not bad, but I feel a little underwhelmed having watched Code Geass before it.

I'll form a final opinion when I finish it, but I doubt it will change very much.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Watched Aldnoah.Zero to the latest episode. My impressions on it are... well it has a Code Geass vibe, a really strong one. I mean it's not bad, but I feel a little underwhelmed having watched Code Geass before it.

I'll form a final opinion when I finish it, but I doubt it will change very much.

most people i know disliked the mc of aldnoah. i on the other hand like him. he's a rare case of level headed character that actualy uses his brain and does not let his emotions drag him into making rash decisions in the spur of the moment

on the rest it has good visuals, good pacing with a good balance between dialogue and action, no cumbersome exposition or complete lack of it (they use the time of episodes in a smart way to give background info through visuals and sound along with concise dialogue instead of long speeches), i have not seen any plot holes so far and i like the story. now if you get to dig up every little detail you will find flaws, it is inevitable, but overall it's a well made series

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

most people i know disliked the mc of aldnoah. i on the other hand like him. he's a rare case of level headed character that actualy uses his brain and does not let his emotions drag him into making rash decisions in the spur of the moment

on the rest it has good visuals, good pacing with a good balance between dialogue and action, no cumbersome exposition or complete lack of it (they use the time of episodes in a smart way to give background info through visuals and sound along with concise dialogue instead of long speeches), i have not seen any plot holes so far and i like the story. now if you get to dig up every little detail you will find flaws, it is inevitable, but overall it's a well made series

It's not the main character I'm having a problem with, I like him too, it's the rest that I'm having an issue with. Like I said, too similar to Code Geass, to make it stand out on it's own. Some things in the show, now that I think about it, are a carbon copy of it.

Watched Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, there are still 2 episodes left till the end. I have watched the last 2 chapters of the manga so I know how it ends. Anyways really recommend it, as it is very good. Though be warned it's pretty heavy/hard to watch, so be ready for some feels.

I don't know why sad endings are so popular in anime. I mean shouldn't they be there to make us feel good and happy, we get enough realism in the real world. Would it cheapen the story so much that everyone survive in the end and find happiness. Though I think this has more to do with me getting too immersed in the story and then suffering for it. I feel like crap after these endings....

• Like 1

most of the times im glad it has an ending at all, because its very common for anime to leave you hangin at the end

-Teknoman2-

Meh.

I personally find him an unbelievable character.

Hyper-competent and super-level-headed, to the point of emotionlessness..and he's still a kid!

And a cadet that pawns experienced warriors.

He becomes untouchable thanks to the power of plot.

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

most of the times im glad it has an ending at all, because its very common for anime to leave you hangin at the end

That is why I prefer original anime, or at least anime I know is finished. Anime based on manga is also good, because if it's good I can just switch to manga.

Finished watching Clannad After Story and no wonder this series is so famous.

I nearly got a heart attack in the end, maybe I should quit watching these kind of shows... But all's well that ends well, I guess, and this one certainly ended well.

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished Steins;Gate and I must it's not how I expected it too be. Great anime and a great story, I loved it. Highly recommend it. Not too sure about Steins;Gate 0 though, but I guess I will just wait and see.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1

Finished a couple of new anime series and here are my thoughts on them:

Saenai Heroine no Sodatekata - Great stuff, definitely worth trying, especially if they announce season 2 (stuff get really exiting then (according to the novel)).
Cross_Ange: Tenshi to Ryuu no Rondo - Uh, like really cringe in some places, but then there is some glimmer of hope and then it's gone again. All in all not recommended.
Seiken Tsukai no World Break - This one really had potential, but it just kind of fell short. I don't know if it followed the novel story, but the latter part of the series was underwhelming. Worth giving a shot, but not really recommended.
Death Parade - Interesting show and a fresh concept. I recommend giving it a try.
Absolute Duo - I have no idea why I even watched this. I guess I'm on an anime binge.
Juuou Mujin no Fafnir - Just don't. So cringe. shudders 
Aldnoah.Zero - Not really bad, but not good either. There are much better shows with the same concept plot and character design. But if you are new to this kind of thing I guess it's worth giving a shot.
Durarara!! Watched season 1 and it was interesting. Gonna watch season 2 soonish. Recommended.

Due to humanity obtaining the data technology that has evolved to a great amount—called "Mana"—the human race is able to subjugate all wars, starvation, pollution, and other problems on Earth by using its power, which is similar to magic. Earth has obtained the utopia of complete peace and no wants.

First princess of the Misurugi Empire, Angelize. As with everyone else, she also had no wants or worries. She was celebrated by the people of the empire, and was supposed to wear the crown. However, she realizes the shocking truth that she is a Norma. "Norma": An irregular existence that cannot use Mana, and are treated as heretics and as "things" rather than people. Having everything stolen from her, she was thrown away on a remote island where she endured living a life in hell .

What was waiting for her there was a fateful meeting with a group of Norma girls who know nothing but battle. The girls spend their days riding humanoid robot weapons called "Paramails" hunting giant dragons that have come from another dimension to invade. Having her name taken from her, what will soldier Ange see at the end of the fight? What can she believe in? What will she obtain? The story of a single girl's fortitude starts now.

Sounds like a rejected Final Fantasy plot.

• Like 1

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Request: Second song in the video below (starting at 0:14), does anyone here know it? It sounds o familiar, perhaps from an anime or jRPG? Halp!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ-V5zt6nqI

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy