Anime - the emotional rolercoaster.

TrashMan

Currently watching Aldnoah.Zero. It's... I dunno. So-so. Any recommendations?

yeah. recommendation: quit watching anime.

ever hear that, "sex is like pizza. even if it's done bad, it's still pretty good"? well, anime is apparent the opposite o' sex... or pizza. anime, even when it's done well, it's still pretty bad. oh sure, just as with sex and pizza, you can find examples that defy the general rule. grave of the fireflies and spirited away were excellent storytelling and were beautiful to behold. cowboybebop had great music and better than half its episodes were betwixt watchable and great. however, for the most part, japanese anime is (perhaps ironically) poorly animated and near universal poorly written. 

the avatar: the last airbender cartoons from nikelodeon were 'bout ten times better than any japanese anime we has seen in decades.  we haven't followed korra, so we can't say much about the new stuff. 

actual happened a couple months ago and is illustrative. a friend o' ours began to try and convince us that _________ anime was worth watching and that we should put aside our prejudice and, "give it a chance." were not the first time a friend had made such a suggestion. our reflex reaction were to argue but then something broke inside us. we reached into our wallet and pulled out $20. andrew jackson gave our friend a humorless stare that contained just a hint o' contempt. being a patriotic fellow, we followed andy's lead. "if you promise to never again try and convince me of the merits of any anime, past or present, you can have this twenty."

our friend knew us well enough to not be offended. he chuckled... but he took the $20. it were the best $20 we has spent in the last 6 months.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 5

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I think piss poor is bit harsh, but they do love their tropes in anime. It's really rare to see a new anime which isn't just a rehash of old ideas. 

Edit: Recommendation: Sidonia no Kishi(Knights of Sidonia), it's on netflix I think. 

Edit 2: And yes it too is bit of a rehash, but it was good.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I think piss poor is bit harsh, but they do love their tropes in anime. It's really rare to see a new anime which isn't just a rehash of old ideas. 

Edit: Recommendation: Sidonia no Kishi(Knights of Sidonia), it's on netflix I think. 

Thanks kirottu, I'll give it a whirl. Finished Aldnoah.Zero last night - actually quite enjoyed it. Worth a watch.

Gromnir is back acting like a 100% prick? Color me surprised.

Here's a 1000$ if you step away from the keyboard and stop taking a dump on anything you don't like and acting like a condensending man-child.

Go back to your troglodyte cave with your badly-thought out non-arguments (most anime is s***? Most of ANYTHING is s***. I can literally use your own sentence and just replace anime with "books" or "holywood movie" and it would make just as much sense.)

Good anime?

5cm Per Second

Legend of Galactic Heroes

Jin-Roh (the wolf brigade)

Recently, Psycho Pass and Unlimited Bladeworks

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

I watched Mad Bull 34. It was....interesting.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Thanks again. I ploughed through the series these last couple of days - really enjoyed it. Surprised at how touching I found some of it -

Hoshijiro's fate especially.

Looking forward to season two!

Edited by Tel Aviv

Currently watching Aldnoah.Zero. It's... I dunno. So-so. Any recommendations?

yeah. recommendation: quit watching anime.

ever hear that, "sex is like pizza. even if it's done bad, it's still pretty good"? well, anime is apparent the opposite o' sex... or pizza. anime, even when it's done well, it's still pretty bad. oh sure, just as with sex and pizza, you can find examples that defy the general rule. grave of the fireflies and spirited away were excellent storytelling and were beautiful to behold. cowboybebop had great music and better than half its episodes were betwixt watchable and great. however, for the most part, japanese anime is (perhaps ironically) poorly animated and near universal poorly written. 

the avatar: the last airbender cartoons from nikelodeon were 'bout ten times better than any japanese anime we has seen in decades.  we haven't followed korra, so we can't say much about the new stuff. 

actual happened a couple months ago and is illustrative. a friend o' ours began to try and convince us that _________ anime was worth watching and that we should put aside our prejudice and, "give it a chance." were not the first time a friend had made such a suggestion. our reflex reaction were to argue but then something broke inside us. we reached into our wallet and pulled out $20. andrew jackson gave our friend a humorless stare that contained just a hint o' contempt. being a patriotic fellow, we followed andy's lead. "if you promise to never again try and convince me of the merits of any anime, past or present, you can have this twenty."

our friend knew us well enough to not be offended. he chuckled... but he took the $20. it were the best $20 we has spent in the last 6 months.

HA! Good Fun!

Avatar: The Last Airbender good? Get the **** out of here :lol:

Otherwise a good troll post though.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I liked stuff like Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke. So I tried to get into Anime and couldn't find anything that appeals to me.

look in the 90s section. pretty mych any major anime from the 90s is at least worth one watch. 

D, GITS, Patlabor 2, most Gibli movies, Old man Z etc. and, of course, notable fringe works, like Akira, Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika.

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

Aoi Hana - Sakamichi no Apollon - Usagi Drop - Nodame Cantabile.

No more outrageous, edgy teenagers with psychic powers or in mechs nonsense. Down-to-earth anime featuring normal people going through normal life. And excellent music.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Aoi Hana - Sakamichi no Apollon - Usagi Drop - Nodame Cantabile.

No more outrageous, edgy teenagers with psychic powers or in mechs nonsense. Down-to-earth anime featuring normal people going through normal life. And excellent music.

I quite enjoyed the weirdness of the live-action Nodame Cantabile.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So, were there any good animes in 2014? I was completely hooked on Death Note and Monster back in the day and had a great laugh with Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

The latest i saw Attack on Titan, but it got boring and predicable. Same with Kill La Kill.

- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Other good new ones would be Ping Pong and Barakamon. Former is, well, about ping pong, but the storytelling and style put it above mere sports series. Looks horrible in stills but the fluidity of the animation is amazing. Latter is slice of life about a stressed out calligrapher from the city trying to get his **** together in the country.

Then there's the continuing adaptations of both Hajime no Ippo and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. You probably know JoJo, it's basically old style pulp adventure literature but on crack.

And Hajime no Ippo? Well, it's the first sports anime I managed to watch for more than few episodes, and it has made me into a boxing fan.

tumblr_ndgdos4GR41sd4mmco1_500.gif

Edited by Nordicus
  • Like 1

My unsolicited list of watchable anime:

Moribito

Cowboy Bebop

Evengelion (up until the trippy ending)

08th MS Team

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

I came across a AMV on youtube and for some reason I liked what I saw. It's a slice of life anime mostly, though there is some fantasy action. I'm on episode 10 of 13 right now and so far I really like it, I had a bunch of honest laughs while watching it.

Hataraku Maou-sama!

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Gintama is getting a new season. I'm looking forward to nearly die of laughter again in the coming spring.

So, were there any good animes in 2014?

In order of preference: Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei, Kiseiju: Sei no Kakuritsu, Mushishi Zoku Shou, Tokyo Ghoul, Zankyou no Terror, Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, Tsukimonogatari, Barakamon, World Trigger, Fate/Stay Night Unlimited Blade Works, Noragami, Nisekoi, Aldnoah Zero, Hanamonogatari, Black Bullet.

2015: Durarara!!x2 Shou, Tokyo Ghoul √A, Aldnoah.Zero 2.

Thank you.

- George Bernard Shaw

- Friedrich Nietzsche

- Some guy 

I came across a AMV on youtube and for some reason I liked what I saw. It's a slice of life anime mostly, though there is some fantasy action. I'm on episode 10 of 13 right now and so far I really like it, I had a bunch of honest laughs while watching it.

Hataraku Maou-sama!

Finished it and I must say I really liked it, hope they do a season 2 of this. I usually don't watch anime as I got feed up some time ago and I prefer manga, but I must say this one hit the sweet spot, I think I'm going to try looking for more series to start.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Hataraku Maou-sama!

Finished it and I must say I really liked it, hope they do a season 2 of this. I usually don't watch anime as I got feed up some time ago and I prefer manga, but I must say this one hit the sweet spot, I think I'm going to try looking for more series to start.

Hataraku Maou-sama is definitely much, much better than I expected given that it's a light novel adaptation and it seems those rarely get adapted based on the quality of their actual writing. I had expected an overdramatic story with a Gary Stu self-insert wish-fulfillment protagonist surrounded by a bunch of badly clothed women with different hair colors catering to a number of fetishes during dumb and unexplainable fanservice scenes.

My expectations weren't entirely wrong, but the story and dialog are actually somewhat cleverly written so that saves it. Do not however watch the other show that the MAL page recommends you, that one is actually garbage while trying to offer a kind of similar setting, western high fantasy (interpreted/butchered by japanese) mixed with modern world.

As a random recommendation, I throw Kyousogiga. Imagine TTGL but more about world-building and family relations than big fights (still exist though!)

tumblr_n8lndceoZG1tw58h4o1_500.giftumblr_nc2tfsrArL1qk5qxgo1_500.gif

• Like 1