Anime - the emotional rolercoaster.

TrashMan

• 1 month later...

Because the old one is gone... :(

So here, in honor of an anime I just finished watcing:

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

As someone who's never seen much anime or manga, it often comes across as strangely focused on the emotional immaturity of the characters (and especially their appearance). The characters seem to overreact all the time and seem so awkward about their own (often hyper) sexuality, that it often makes me cringe when I have to see it.. Or is that simply misinterpretations of an uninitiated?

• Like 1

Fortune favors the bald.

Or watch anime where protagonists aren't high schoolers.

I've watched a lot of anime but it's bloody hard to avoid the high school thing in the last ten years, the only one I've liked recently was The Melancholy of Harui Suzumia, mostly because it's bat**** crazy and they often use the tropes knowingly.

As someone who's never seen much anime or manga, it often comes across as strangely focused on the emotional immaturity of the characters (and especially their appearance). The characters seem to overreact all the time and seem so awkward about their own (often hyper) sexuality, that it often makes me cringe when I have to see it.. Or is that simply misinterpretations of an uninitiated?

Depends on the anime.

Some anime are pure parody, so nothing stands out.

Some anime are dead serious and there's no such thing over-the-top overreacting.

Most anime are a mix of comedy, drama and action (and fanservice) - and the comedy is often of the slapstick or visual variety.

It's one of the things that fasciantes me about anime - how can you mix drama and comedx and action and everytihng else and STILL somehow pull it off without massive mood whiplash? How can you do that and STILL push a stronger message and have a deepr impact than 99% of holywood movies?

This is coming from someone who adores Gattaca, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Dead Poets society, etc... I love deep and complex movies.

But also loves Spaceballs and Hot Shots and other comedy titles.

It's downright redicolous when you think about it.

the anime I just finished watching a few days ago -

Bakemonogatari

is just.... confounding.

I can't get it out of my head.

It has comedy and drama and friggin everything. I should hate it for the fanservice. The toothbrush scene was a WTF moment of epic proportions. I should hate it for those loli moments....But I don't.

I can honestly say that so far the anime I watched has had a deeper emotional impact on me than most movies. But maybe I'm just good at picking good anime?

I've watched a lot of anime but it's bloody hard to avoid the high school thing in the last ten years, the only one I've liked recently was The Melancholy of Harui Suzumia, mostly because it's bat**** crazy and they often use the tropes knowingly.

Try this:

Or this:

For an anime with odler protagonist - there are those around too ;)

Try the Monster

Try this:

I still find it amazing that Queen were as big as the Beatles in Japan, cool that Freddie still keeps popping up in Anime :)

Freddie is the biggest badass in that show.

Here's another classic scene:

It's almost always about teenagers and sexual and emotional tension. It's a formula that works both on teenagers and on older people wanting to relive their high school days.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Funny no one posted this yet considering its a hot series now.

I'm more interested in "good" rather than "hot".. and Attack on Titan fails to impress me so far.

Well, I haven't looked at it closely since I didn't have the time, but the plot (guy can magicly turn into a giant out of nowhere, those giants caused te downfall of humanity (seriously???)) and character design don't appeal to me honestly.