Anime - the emotional rolercoaster.

TrashMan

Fist of the Northstar.....

Let me sum it up

This coming from the guy who compared Gurren Lagann to monkeys throwing ****. Why do people like Hokuto no Ken? Because it's silly hyper-violent fun.

I eagerly await your ten page dissertation on how Kenshiro punching a tank to death while doing a Bruce Lee impression is a deep, emotionally gripping symbolic moment with myriad artistic layers that paint a complex emotional and philosophical conundrum.

Edited by AGX-17

This coming from the guy who compared Gurren Lagann to monkeys throwing ****. Why do people like Hokuto no Ken? Because it's silly hyper-violent fun.

I saw the movie when it was released in the US in 1991. It was so over the top that it stood out. I've wanted to see the TV series since it gives more background than the movie can (the movie really is "Ken's biggest hits" (in multiple senses).

But yeah its hard to take seriously because it is so over the top. But that's its appeal and fun factor.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

The only point for Motoko having a female body, is fanservice.

Or because the character was conceived as a female, instead you should point out that the only point  for Motoko showing her female body is fanservice

Pffft, only people who do not see naked **** on regular basis make a fuzz on funjugs on a cyborg. Probably the same people who drool over naked statues from the roman era.

Now for something more funny. This is how you fix plotholes in a story:

Explosions fix everything.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Fist of the Northstar.....

Let me sum it up

I don't recall saying that.

And I don't consider FotNS a great and deep anime.

Entertaining, yes. But greatness is not a label I give out lightly.

EDIT:

Excel Saga... A classic.

Edited by TrashMan

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

YMMV; I usually watch stuff for entertainment. Greatness will always be few and far between.

To be fair to Hokuto No Ken, though, my memory is that it was intended as an action series for teenagers. So lot of violence, not necessarily a lot of drama each episode.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

YMMV; I usually watch stuff for entertainment. Greatness will always be few and far between.

To be fair to Hokuto No Ken, though, my memory is that it was intended as an action series for teenagers. So lot of violence, not necessarily a lot of drama each episode.

Indeed it will.

And fun does not equal quality or good.

I find monkeys throwing poo at each other fun. Would you call it the height of quality entertainment?

It's your thread, only 5 pages long. It's not that hard to look back at page 3. Whatever, it's your can of worms. You get to clean up the mess. Edited by AGX-17

For the up and coming..

Of course, if you look back at the series throughout it's decades long run.. Coninuity - or as it has been put:

Here's the short version: forget it.
And now for the slightly longer account:

I've many times seen, in various articles, publications, websites, etc., the idea put forth that the various stories featuring Captain Harlock and assorted attendant characters don't fit into any proper chronology that could make any sense at all. After this declaration, which is significant and utterly true, the writer will then proceed to elaborate on some form of overarching continuity, as if they had suddenly been struck with a flat iron and were unable to remember their own prior assertion. Failure dogs their heels throughout the ill-fated attempt, and finally catches them and eats them. They have blown it.''

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

>And fun does not equal quality or good.

I find monkeys throwing poo at each other fun. Would you call it the height of quality entertainment?

It's your thread, only 5 pages long. It's not that hard to look back at page 3. Whatever, it's your can of worms. You get to clean up the mess.

Read it again and you will realise that I have never said that explicitly. Altough I see how you came to that conclusion.

Not that I regret framing it that way.

>And fun does not equal quality or good.

It's your thread, only 5 pages long. It's not that hard to look back at page 3. Whatever, it's your can of worms. You get to clean up the mess.

Read it again and you will realise that I have never said that explicitly. Altough I see how you came to that conclusion.

Not that I regret framing it that way.

That's an awfully roundabout way of confirming what we already knew.

Anyway. This obviously isn't for your benefit.

Edited by AGX-17

Eh, that was quite alot of spoilers.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Personally, I find most anime to be contrived, recycled , emotionally adolescant, garbage. Mind you, I lived in Japan from ages 9 to 15, speak the language, and understand the culture implicitly. This is not to say it is all bad. There are some true gems; however, they are firmly within the minority of the genre and style. The problems typically extend from a few broad social deficiencies within Japanese culture.

• A) Extreme disconnect and almost completely perverse ineptitude of Japanese men to understand women and anything female.
  • B) A sort of self-perpetuating and idolized culture of adolescence, often compounded and related to point A.
  • C) Most writing tends to reflect that adolescant angst and perspective, often causing stories to focus on juvenille plots or have their otherwise philosophic goals and overtones ruined by it.
  • D) There are two things important in Japanese culture: Power & Beauty--in that order. These can be expressed in any form, not merely militarily or sexually. It can be economic and intellectual power or artistic beauty.

The above points tend to culminate in cliched, 2-dimensional characters, coping with adolescant angst and other baggage that should be resolved by your early 20s. It's not a coincidence or accident that the age of just about all central characters in Anime tend to be teenagers. Adolescant culture is fixated on in Japan more than any place I have ever been in the entire world.

I except this opinion to be swifting and brutally attacked. It's ok. I'm used to it. I only ask that if you do reflexively attack this opinnion, consider that I grew up in Japan. I know the culture--likely far better than you do or ever will. Much of it Japanese culture I have admired and adopted as my own. When I look at anime, I am able to observe it from both sides of the lense. Please regard that.

Well, a lot of anime is aimed at a younger audince.

That said I too hate the newer anime trends to more loli's, more 13-15 year old protagonists and more fanservice.

Just a note - the idea that "most of X is crap and there's a few good gems floating around" practicly holds true for ALL media formats.

Edited by TrashMan
  • Like 1

"Just a note - the idea that "most of X is crap and there's a few good gems floating around" practicly holds true for ALL media formats."

Well isn't that the cold card truth? Definately a correct statement if there were such a thing. The films tend to be much more mature than the TV series, so they're usually alot better imo. As far as series go, the only ones I can claim to have found really interesting were Full Metal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell. I remember a long time ago when Death Note came out, it started with great promise, but quickly fell into generic anime convention. I had high hopes for The Last Exile as well, but....it just wasn't quite there. Beautiful art style though.

Personally, I find most anime to be contrived, recycled , emotionally adolescant, garbage. Mind you, I lived in Japan from ages 9 to 15, speak the language, and understand the culture implicitly. This is not to say it is all bad. There are some true gems; however, they are firmly within the minority of the genre and style. The problems typically extend from a few broad social deficiencies within Japanese culture.

• A) Extreme disconnect and almost completely perverse ineptitude of Japanese men to understand women and anything female.
  • B) A sort of self-perpetuating and idolized culture of adolescence, often compounded and related to point A.
  • C) Most writing tends to reflect that adolescant angst and perspective, often causing stories to focus on juvenille plots or have their otherwise philosophic goals and overtones ruined by it.
  • D) There are two things important in Japanese culture: Power & Beauty--in that order. These can be expressed in any form, not merely militarily or sexually. It can be economic and intellectual power or artistic beauty.
The above points tend to culminate in cliched, 2-dimensional characters, coping with adolescant angst and other baggage that should be resolved by your early 20s. It's not a coincidence or accident that the age of just about all central characters in Anime tend to be teenagers. Adolescant culture is fixated on in Japan more than any place I have ever been in the entire world.

I except this opinion to be swifting and brutally attacked. It's ok. I'm used to it. I only ask that if you do reflexively attack this opinnion, consider that I grew up in Japan. I know the culture--likely far better than you do or ever will. Much of it Japanese culture I have admired and adopted as my own. When I look at anime, I am able to observe it from both sides of the lense. Please regard that.

Yes, most of it is garbage.

btw

Edited by AGX-17

"Just a note - the idea that "most of X is crap and there's a few good gems floating around" practicly holds true for ALL media formats."

Well isn't that the cold card truth? Definately a correct statement if there were such a thing. The films tend to be much more mature than the TV series, so they're usually alot better imo. As far as series go, the only ones I can claim to have found really interesting were Full Metal Alchemist and Ghost in the Shell. I remember a long time ago when Death Note came out, it started with great promise, but quickly fell into generic anime convention. I had high hopes for The Last Exile as well, but....it just wasn't quite there. Beautiful art style though.

I can't really agree with that completely.

Movies usually have higher production values = better animation and a shorter, self-contained story.

But quite often the story and character development can suffer compared to the series. There's only so much you can squeeze in a 1:30 h.

Macross series vs. Macross movie? No contest, series is 10 times better.

Escaflowne series vs. Escaflowne movie? No contest again, series 10 times better.

Buuut.. you have movies like Grave of the Fireflies, Jin-Roh, Tokyo Godfathers, 5cm Per Second, Rourin Kenshin (move better than series by far), etc... those are a category to themselves.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

From the new series starting this spring Suisei no Gargantia looks promising. I just hope they wont do the it's actually humans who are the evil ones.

Other one would be Shingeki no Kyojin. It's based on a manga that has won numerous prizes.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.