Anime - the emotional rolercoaster.

TrashMan

Just finished watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohvsJZaWmC0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfqIOOKdx6k

Well, not the AMVs (altough they friggin rock too), but the movie.

Beutifull, artistic and kind of sadness and contemplatetive melanchony that hits you when something hits you with uncomfortable life truths.

WHY THE HELL DO YOU DO THIS TO ME JAPAN? ;(

*opens a tub of ice-cream and re-watches the AMV's a dozen times over*

I need something happy to pick me up.

Like drugs.... or Nichijou...or Cromartie High

• Like 1

* YOU ARE A WRONGULARITY FROM WHICH NO RIGHT CAN ESCAPE! *

Chuck Norris was wrong once - He thought HE made a mistake!

The basic story?

Distance and how it affects relationships, living in the past, being able to let go, being hopelesly in love.

In other worlds, all the things that people say "time will heal it" and time never freaking heals it.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

The basic story?

Distance and how it affects relationships, living in the past, being able to let go, being hopelesly in love.

So, immaturity?

• Like 2
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Quiet infidel.

AMV's can get across the movies atmosphere better than dry text.

Edited by TrashMan

on the of the things that bugs me very much is the wrong perception people have on anime. It's as broad as a media as a movie is, with various genres and animation styles. And it produces just as much crap and masterpieces as any other media.

Maybe this might be helpfull:

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/TrashMan

Quiet infidel.

AMV's can get across the movies atmosphere better than dry text.

Seriously?

I actually just watched 5 cm/sec. It'd been awhile since I'd seen some good animation and I wasn't disappointed. The animation was amazing and the story was well written, it was deep though could have been a bit more fleshed out. My understanding is that it is elsewhere but sadly I don't read Japanese.

I came here to thank you and you're calling me an 'infidel'? Those AMV's do not do any justice to the movie's atmosphere. The music from the movie itself does that. And it was scored as well as it was drawn. Had I thought those AMVs were an indication of the movie's atmosphere I'd not have watched it. Thankfully I can turn down horrendous remakes of good music badly paired with great animation by some emokid somewhere to be watched by emokids everywhere (what most AMVs are) and just see if something looks like it's worth watching.

http://youtu.be/IG_FY3v0uWk

To anyone who hasn't seen the movie: If you're a fan of good animation (something nearly extinct in the west) as well as like a good poignant story delicately handled about something not much talked about in society I recommend the film. If you've got a heart you'll likely appreciate Five Centimeters per Second.

Anyways Trashman... Thanks, and don't do drugs.

The basic story?

So, immaturity?

Eh? What's immeture about any of that?

I actually just watched 5 cm/sec. It'd been awhile since I'd seen some good animation and I wasn't disappointed. The animation was amazing and the story was well written, it was deep though could have been a bit more fleshed out. My understanding is that it is elsewhere but sadly I don't read Japanese.

The Managa is a bit longer and especially the last bit is longer.

There is a very hopefull last bit added where Kanae comes to Tokyio.

She decides to go looking for Takaki at Tokyo and after she comes to decide to go back and not see him, he seems to walk in front of the park bench where she is, presumably noticing her.

I came here to thank you and you're calling me an 'infidel'? Those AMV's do not do any justice to the movie's atmosphere. The music from the movie itself does that. And it was scored as well as it was drawn. Had I thought those AMVs were an indication of the movie's atmosphere I'd not have watched it. Thankfully I can turn down horrendous remakes of good music badly paired with great animation by some emokid somewhere to be watched by emokids everywhere (what most AMVs are) and just see if something looks like it's worth watching.

It was a joke. Take it easy.

And AMV's can be utter crap (most are) and they can also be masterpieces. Don't diss AMV's ... especially not the two I posted. Both are great and the music and visuals are a great match.

Anyways Trashman... Thanks, and don't do drugs.

Thanks. And I don't do drugs. I do anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5TfUkRr7Qs

So, immaturity?

Eh? What's immeture about any of that?

As someone that has suffered from all of those afflictions, I'd argue that my maturation as a person helped me no longer do any of those things. Essentially what you mention are psychological issues that people suffer from that, in most cases, are not a productive influence in their life.

I have been hopelessly in love, and was burned horribly because of it. I found myself living in the past (because of my being hopelessly in love), because of an inability to let go, and realize that I missed out on other excellent opportunities because my focus was elsewhere. The good thing that came out of all that was learning how to recognize it so I don't let it impact me again.

• Like 2

As someone that has suffered from all of those afflictions, I'd argue that my maturation as a person helped me no longer do any of those things. Essentially what you mention are psychological issues that people suffer from that, in most cases, are not a productive influence in their life.

I have been hopelessly in love, and was burned horribly because of it. I found myself living in the past (because of my being hopelessly in love), because of an inability to let go, and realize that I missed out on other excellent opportunities because my focus was elsewhere. The good thing that came out of all that was learning how to recognize it so I don't let it impact me again.

While there are similarities, every relationship is dynamic and different. For you it may have been immaturity, for others describing the same thing it very well may not have been or be.

For many who consider all of "Distance and how it affects relationships, living in the past, being able to let go, being hopelesly in love." to be immature, they've adopted a sour grapes attitude towards something unfulfilled, and I'd argue that they've taken a path even worse than any immaturity in terms of denying themselves opportunity as they've become jaded. Whether that's you or not I don't know. Only you or an honest and wise someone who knows you well or knew you well at the time could say if you were immature. To say those feelings and experiences is immaturity by everyone who experiences them though, is an unjust narrow view.

In regards to the film, a problem the main characters all had in common was lack of communication. None of them fully expressed how they felt and consequently something important to them was unresolved. More often than not things truly are not better left unsaid. A lot of people don't express themselves fully to those they care about, and not doing that ends up haunting them on many a level. The fear of rejection can indeed ultimately lead to greater devastation than actually being rejected. Again, every relationship is different, for all the similarities they may have.

Edited by Valsuelm

I rushed in here to see if someone was feeling suicidal and to tell them not to kill themselves and to seek help and that they are loved. Alas, anime was what I found instead.

Tokyo Godfathers is a really good anime too.

• Like 3

My blog is where I'm keeping a record of all of my suggestions and bug mentions.

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/  UPDATED 9/26/2014

My DXdiag:

http://hormalakh.blogspot.com/2014/08/beta-begins-v257.html

I rushed in here to see if someone was feeling suicidal and to tell them not to kill themselves and to seek help and that they are loved. Alas, anime was what I found instead.

Tokyo Godfathers is a really good anime too.

Satochi Kon may he RIP, he's the thinking man's Miyazaki.

• Like 1
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

While there are similarities, every relationship is dynamic and different. For you it may have been immaturity, for others describing the same thing it very well may not have been or be.

Things such as stuck living in the past, if not immaturity, is likely symptomatic of some other psychological issue. It is never good to be stuck living in the past, since you're no longer in the past and only exist in the present. It's completely different to remember the past, so it's best to not confuse the two. I have an excellent memory and can remember mountains of events of my past, including my emotional context at the time. I don't live in it though, since that does nothing for me and only distracts me from making positive choices in the present.

The same goes for being hopelessly in love. Being really in love with someone is different than being hopelessly in love with some one. It's another symptom of being stuck dwelling on a situation that is not ideal, since being hopelessly in love with someone is not a good thing either. The definition of hopeless is:

• Feeling or causing despair about something.
  • Inadequate; incompetent: "I'm hopeless at names".

None of those are positive emotions. As someone that was certainly hopelessly in love with someone (and even then am likely still somewhat of a hopeless romantic), being hopelessly in love with someone is a reflection of being attached to someone in an unhealthy way. You end up sacrificing your own self-respect and dignity because the idea of NOT being in love with that person seems unfathomable (which is never truly the case of course).

The problem, of course, is convincing a hopeless romantic that they are being hopeless.

I should be clear that people that feel this way are likely not bad people, nor are the even necessarily immature people (in general). I do feel they are immature ways of living one's life however, unless some incident or alternative precondition has set it up to be a genuine psychological disorder. This was the case with myself in the wake of my brother's death in 1994, although in overcoming the psychological issues I probably found myself maturing as an individual as well as I learned how to better cope with trauma in my life.

The problem, of course, is convincing a hopeless romantic that they are being hopeless.

Like so many sentences, there is room for improving on it :-

(said the guy, who is about as romantic as a block of concrete)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

There's that fine line of romantic and juvenile melodrama... and love and obsession :shifty:

But the hopeless romance can be awkward, and the flip side is, what do you call it when you have tried moving on, bounced therapy, drink, medication, throwing yourself into work, dating other people, throwing yourself into hobbies, keeping yourself distracted with assorted other things, and years on you still find yourself feeling that way about that one person and getting hit with the loss of it all? If you've gone through all the processes that should let you / help you move on, but none of them have actually worked, it reaches a point of slamming your head against a wall in trying to let go properly.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

You guys clearly haven't seen the movie Enchanted, Romance is both alive and well :)

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I do think it's commmensurate with being young, or inexperienced. I don't think it's necessarily bad.

Getting all snarled up and flipped around is all part of the fun of being in love. You can't escape the down side any more than a hangover after drinking.

The key point is to not worry about the hangover unless you have to do brain surgery the next day. The same is true of love. Also you must wash your hands.

I may have let my metaphor get out of control.

Edited by Walsingham
  • Like 3

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.