I don't think there is a "private" backer forum. Honestly, I do not remember that being mentioned on Kickstarter. Just as well, if you ask me. Most people here are probably backers, and it's slow enough already that I don't see any need to be exclusionary.

The forum badges haven't been set up yet.

Sorry to be no help at all, haha. Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

• Like 4

I am just wondering because I pledged as a "slacker backer" before registering to anything. And the only thing I registered to was the forum's, and am just wondering if you need to register to anything else, and that if you need to associate your pledge to an account such as the forum account, or if that is unnecessary. And if unnecessary how do you get your backer badge, seeing that you won't need to link a pledge to an account to have a backer badge, because at the moment I don't know where the backer badge would be shown in the forum's, or something else which I don't know of because I only know of the forum's that are registrable.

but anyway I am not really concerned about the badge more I am concerned about how I would receive the final product when it's released, do they just send you an email with the serial key when its released or do they send you an email which you must reply with your confirmation number and reference. confirming that you pledged.

Backer badge will come later. My understanding is that all backers will recieve an email when the fulfillment website is launched where you will be able to

1. Confirm the tier of choice that you wanted. A few of you donated on Kickstarter, and then topped up via PayPal, so you’ll be able to select the exact tier you wanted.
  2. Confirm any add-ons you wanted that weren’t easy to specify on Kickstarter or via PayPal.
  3. Upgrade your pledge to another tier, or add on for, ummm, add-ons. :)
  4. Update your e-mail address at any time.
  5. Update your shipping address at any time. (Shipping address only needed for physical goods – we don’t need that info for digital orders.)
  6. Indicate any specific details associated with your tier (T-shirt sizes, name in the credits, etc.)
  7. If you live outside of the USA, it will also verify that you’ve added enough shipping.

More info in update 29 here.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the forums!

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm not really seeing the benefit of a setting up a private backer's forum for a Kick Starter project. If anything, it would dampen the potential publicity that serves to draw in other gamers. 8)

• Like 2

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

That's a good point, at the moment there is no Private backer's forum so we just have to see how it work's out.

But all backers are "private backer's[punctuation incorrect]". Unless you announce you're a backer. The forum badges will be what gives you a sign of pride, there's not going to be an exclusive secret club for a nonexistent class of "superior" backers.

Edited by AGX-17
  • Like 1

That's a good point, at the moment there is no Private backer's forum so we just have to see how it work's out.

But all backers are "private backer's[punctuation incorrect]". Unless you announce you're a backer. The forum badges will be what gives you a sign of pride, there's not going to be an exclusive secret club for a nonexistent class of "superior" backers.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or if you are confused by the the adjective placement in Private Backer Forums. He's referring to a private forum for backers, not a forum for private backers. Because as you said, private backers are not a real thing. But backers are. And private forums only accessible by backers could be as well.

Edited by ogrezilla

I backed the project, but I couldn't care less about some private forum. Sounds dreadful.

Sounds like an excellent way to produce a split/chilling effect. Frankly, that the mods decided to split the Project Eternity forum into four separate subfora has already produced certain chilling effects, IMO (e.g. where more technical/mechanical discussions would have gotten a lot more attention in the main/general forum, they're now shoved into a subforum that always has less traffic, and humans are by nature lazy). It's an understandable decision and better to organize categorical information by exclusion, but there's a distinct downside. A backer-private forum is not a good idea. All of that leads to various chilling effects.

The only truly private forum structure that makes any sense is a beta testing venue.

Edited by Ieo
  • Like 3

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I think it could be fruitful, if done right.

I think that what we are doing here is pretty much Creative QA with no developer/boss interaction (and it shouldn't be, but on a forum that would be private and on purpose) there could be some actual discussion of what could be in the game and direct feedback.

Basically a private forum could allow developers to bounce their ideas more privately with the fans. It would require dedicated and loyal fans, which I think there's a lot of here.

All I'm saying is that if they did a private forum with some of the people here on this more public one and directly communicate with some of you guys, I believe P:E could become so much better. So many wicked ideas :)

• Like 1

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic, or if you are confused by the the adjective placement in Private Backer Forums. He's referring to a private forum for backers, not a forum for private backers. Because as you said, private backers are not a real thing. But backers are. And private forums only accessible by backers could be as well.

I didn't know what he meant by "private backers," I initially read it as some form of backer different from regular "backers," rather than referring to a secret clubhouse for backers only. Either way, the rewards for backing the game are all spelled out on Kickstarter, and none of them are a sooper secret clubhouse where dirty pubbers aren't allowed. As a backer, I don't think anyone should be excluded from dicussion/input on the game's design. It reeks of... well, Interplay's cynical attempt to ride Obsidian's coattails by asking people to pay to access their "black isle" forums.

Edited by AGX-17

I didn't know what he meant by "private backers," I initially read it as some form of backer different from regular "backers," rather than referring to a secret clubhouse for backers only. Either way, the rewards for backing the game are all spelled out on Kickstarter, and none of them are a sooper secret clubhouse where dirty pubbers aren't allowed. As a backer, I don't think anyone should be excluded from dicussion/input on the game's design. It reeks of... well, Interplay's cynical attempt to ride Obsidian's coattails by asking people to pay to access their "black isle" forums.

I agree with you. I was just clarifying what he meant

Basically a private forum could allow developers to bounce their ideas more privately with the fans. It would require dedicated and loyal fans, which I think there's a lot of here.

This. If it's just some further division of traffic on the boards, it wouldn't serve any purpose.

I backed the project, but I couldn't care less about some private forum. Sounds dreadful.

Sounds like an excellent way to produce a split/chilling effect. Frankly, that the mods decided to split the Project Eternity forum into four separate subfora has already produced certain chilling effects, IMO (e.g. where more technical/mechanical discussions would have gotten a lot more attention in the main/general forum, they're now shoved into a subforum that always has less traffic, and humans are by nature lazy). It's an understandable decision and better to organize categorical information by exclusion, but there's a distinct downside. A backer-private forum is not a good idea. All of that leads to various chilling effects.

The only truly private forum structure that makes any sense is a beta testing venue.

Yes, the current forum divisions are already terrible, as they ensure that the only issues that get any attention are dreadfully pointless trivialities ("ARe You gonna buy this game?!1", "DID obsidian release too much in Kickstarterz???", "What's your fave classs??!!!!!", etc.) that fall under the label "general discussion", rather than anything that actually pertains to the game's mechanics, lore, or technical aspects.

• Like 1

Isnt a private backers forum exactly what BSN is? You cant comment unless you have bought the game? Never did like that mentality.

There is a clear difference between BSN, Wasteland 2 forums, P:E forums and PV13 forums.

The most clear one is that BSN is discussion about already released games, P:E, Wasteland 2 and PV13 is all games in development.

At BSN you discuss the past, and paying for it... yep I agree with you that f- sucks.

At the rest of them you discuss the future. How could it not be good to have a more direct-intent-on-purpose discussion for a better future on a private forum where people (on this forum!?) discuss with the developers? Go go go!! Make the most epic game ever :)

P.S. I'm advocating for a higher tier private forum (250$+ or so). I wouldn't even be a part of that forum, but if I could guess what's best for the development... introduce some of these people on these forums to some more direct communication regardless :) as I've said in some other posts across the board:

The people (probably you who read this ;)) here has some wicked ideas, thoughts, reason, loyalty, intelligence etc. etc. that I think could be beneficial.

"Creative Quality Assurance", maybe even be able to be a part of the "Technical Quality Assurance" during Beta Test as well (or those who are Beta test tier could go for the Creative QA as well?).

Though, I remember reading something somewhere where an Obsidian developer spoke about that they want to create some sort of "Beta environment" as quick as possible so that they can hear opinions or whatnot, so they're probably already on it. That's probably going to create some sort of private forum as well.

Please note that I have zero insider information or anything, but my personal thought is that if there is ever any type of "private" forum it'll be when the beta rolls around. At the moment, I see no reason for a "backers only" forum, since there's nothing to discuss that has any reason to be private or privileged - but that's just me.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm hoping not to hear too much about the plot's particulars while the game is in beta, so a private forum at that point would be much preferred from my little knot-hole perspective.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."