What are you playing now?

Gorth

I'm playing cautious like probably most people. Unfortunatly, the game rewards this kind of tactics. The whole bonfire system could have been designed more interesting. It's just boring to kill the same enemies for the fourth or fith time at the exact same position, just because you want to meet a trader.

Most people believe that Dark Souls is a unfairly difficult game. That says it all. And no,i completely disagree.There's the other intregral part of that system. Player invasion. That changes the game and doesn't overwhelm you because the enemies have fixed spawn point. And then there's another ever rarer part of the game, Gravelording. Unfortunately you have to be in ng+ to be vulnerable to that. So the system is great but dependant on the community. If you play PC or offline, you miss half the fun.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Yeah, the grinding is what killed it for me. I loved the Gothic games, which are basically the same as Demon's Soul/Dark Souls, except.. when you kill something in those games it stays dead. I absolutely hated the fact that everything came back over and over and over, like nothing I did had any meaning or purpose.

For me it was not challenging, it was boring.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Finished BG1. The latter parts are solid if unspectacular for the most part, I've never really understood what they were thinking for the first part with the hordes of kobolds, especially the ones with bows which were borderline trolling. The story was actually a fair bit better than I remembered, though I'd generally say that Bioware's ability to tell stories has improved since then and BG2 was a marked improvement in itself. Had lots of minor scripting bugs, the chessboard in Durlag's Tower had to fired manually and the cutscene having killed the dopplegangers in the ducal palace never triggered either as examples. I used a 3/3 party with a human berserker, dwarf cleric of talos and elf wild mage plus Imoen (cheated her to M/T, dualing her wouldn't work as I couldn't select any spells thus couldn't complete it), Coran (GM longbow, THAC0 of 1) and Dynaheir in the end, though I actually used just about everyone at one point or another.

I cannot say I'm enamoured of SCS for BG1 though, it's rather like being in a P&P session run by an autistic 12 year old who really doesn't want you killing 'his' monsters. The net effect is that you can guarantee that all the really annoying spells that you cannot defend against effectively are going to be cast on you and every mage will not only know chaos/ confusion/ stoneskin/ proitection from magical weapons/ missiles etc but have them multiple times so that overall the AI produces more cheese than a billion tons of milk. Probably a bit of a clash of styles though as I don't furiously min max (Coran had a magnificent 19 hp at the end despite being something like 7/9 level wise), don't rest after fighting a single goblin and I don't really smother my own gameplay in processed dairy products. I never found a single stoneskin scroll myself so I'm probably just bitter, but something seems a bit off when you have 3 mages in a party and they have almost no offensive abilities because every spell slot is dedicated to counteracting other mages and protecting them from invisibility potion abusing thieves and the like without having to rest after every encounter. The return to Ulgoth's Beard after Durlag's Tower was particularly egregious for combining multiple mages and multiple thieves immediately after a map transition with no possibility of pre buffing.

Still, going to keep SCS2 for the BG2 playthrough as I think it ought to play more nice with a game that is a bit better designed around mage battles than BG1 was.

Back to BL2, (go **** yourself Arcanum, MCA was right all along,) since they're doing themed loot-drop promotions in the wind up to the next DLC release. The 5 gold key shift code didn't hurt either. Right now it's increased numbers of and stats for grenade mods, not really my thing. Playing new characters to actually make it matter, the game is pretty boring once you've hit the cap and gotten a lv 50 +5 Legendary class mod to go with your lv 50 vlad the impaler shield and lv 50 infinity pistol.

Ordered some games to go with my newly acquired PS3. RDR (despite its sexist undertones, it still looks fun.) Dark Souls just because I missed it on sale for PC on Steam, it's $18 on Amazon and it seems like it would be better with a controller. First time playing console games in at least 4 years.

Edited by AGX-17

Can you explain the "sexism undertones"? edit: and you should buy the GOTY edition if you can.

Sexist, not sexism. It's not a subtle analysis of sexism, it's sending a misogynistic message.

http://www.cracked.c...on-hates-women/

"The female characters in Red Dead Redemption are only there to nag and complain before a passing murderer uses her as a knife storage. Every woman lies to you, and most of them try to kill you. It's the first Western based on a passive aggressive letter to some ****'s ex-wife"

"I got scared when I tied a pleading woman to the train tracks, watched her turn into a cloud of chili and then realized that was a secret achievement. It felt like the game was saying, 'Ha! I knew there was as much wrong with you as there is with me!' I suddenly got the feeling that Red Dead Redemption had been keeping track of and masturbating to my long string of whore slayings."

Edited by AGX-17

How offensive. More SupCom FA with friends, which is rapidly approaching unenjoyable as they're not offering me much in the way of support - that and I keep futzing up my build orders to counter artillery.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

BG2... I blame Tigranes. My dual classed human male is currently a level 9 berserker and level 11 thief (it does suck a bit only picking Kits for the first class, would love a fighter/assassin combo).

• Like 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Far Cry 3 still. I've been doing the various side missions, including liberating those different camps. Finally liberated my 34th and final camp tonight. I've also found all the letters of the lost, and found all the memory chips. Only thing left for me to do is finish off the main quest now.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Guest The Architect

Far Cry 3. Finished the main story, thought the game was fantastic, thought the endings were pretty ****, though. Don't know why some people think the game is overrated, then again I never played the first two, so I didn't really know what to expect.

Sexist, not sexism. It's not a subtle analysis of sexism, it's sending a misogynistic message.

"The female characters in Red Dead Redemption are only there to nag and complain before a passing murderer uses her as a knife storage. Every woman lies to you, and most of them try to kill you. It's the first Western based on a passive aggressive letter to some ****'s ex-wife"

"I got scared when I tied a pleading woman to the train tracks, watched her turn into a cloud of chili and then realized that was a secret achievement. It felt like the game was saying, 'Ha! I knew there was as much wrong with you as there is with me!' I suddenly got the feeling that Red Dead Redemption had been keeping track of and masturbating to my long string of whore slayings."

That article was meant as a joke.

BG2... I blame Tigranes. My dual classed human male is currently a level 9 berserker and level 11 thief (it does suck a bit only picking Kits for the first class, would love a fighter/assassin combo).

There is a program called Shadow Keeper which can be used to modify characters. You can change your thief to assassin :)

Edit: I'm playing Divinity 2 Directors Cut nowadays, bought it in gog.sales weeks ago, wasn't able to play it on my previous rig but having no problems now.

A good game, gave me some Gothic vibe.

Edited by cyberarmy

Nothing is true, everything is permited.

image-163154-full.jpg?1348681100

Far Cry 3. Finished the main story, thought the game was fantastic, thought the endings were pretty ****, though. Don't know why some people think the game is overrated, then again I never played the first two, so I didn't really know what to expect.

That article was meant as a joke.

Thing about cracked though is that they find humor in more truthful statements than falsehoods. That particular article was reaching in a few places however.

I think one of the things people wanted out of far cry three was more of the psycho dude (I haven't played it).

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I've been playing Dragon's Dogma again. Is it sad that I still enjoy running up and down the countryside, jumping on giant monsters and stabbing them in the face no matter how many times I do it?

Not when it looks as cool as it does in that game. I still haven't bought it, but I did enjoy the demo.

No, Dragon's Dogma is great fun and absolutely recommended. It's a pity it never got a PC version though, both console versions struggle in terms of framerate and level of detail shown.

Absolutely not!...I also started playing it again last night and I'm really enjoying it. :dancing:

Glad to know I'm not crazy :) I've actually beaten the game multiple times and yet I still like picking it up from time to time and taking on some giant monster. And just walking around the landscapes and bashing stuff. Interested to see what they do for the sequel. A PC version would have been great; pity there wasn't one.

I've also been trying Demon Souls and Dark Souls and I have to say I just can't get into either game. Logically, I can see why people like it, but I've read a lot about how people feel a certain degree of catharsis from overcoming a challenge. I mostly just dread finding the next challenge that I have to repeat-repeat-repeat. I stopped of Demon Souls at a level where you're underground and it just grated my nerves having to go through another tunnel. I'm suspecting both games aren't for me.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I have started playing Planescape for the first time. I am loving it as I expected. Whats amazing is that a game that is 14 years old can captivate you more than modern and vastly aesthetically better games from a graphics perspective. Its early days for me in the game, Annah has just joined my party and I'm enjoying exploring Sigil. I am also really loving the bizarre nature of the game compared to normal RPG, Demons walking the streets and talking undead.

Its makes me even more excited about the next Torment. Imagine what the genius of Brian Fargo can do with his experience now.

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

More Dark Souls.

I think I'm getting addicted. So I've made it through Anor Londo. And I'm looking for a place to farm blue titanite to upgrade my sword. Dark Souls 2 is on my definite pre-order list at this point.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Mass Effect 3. Bought the fancier edition (w/ launch DLC) for $20 a week or two ago, and started it up last night. Only got to the point where I Rode a Tram on Mars before bedtime.

So far, it's as-expected. My ME2 character import doesn't look quite right, but that might just be because I got used to her Terminator eyes. I guess my defense counsel thought that it would be a good idea to spend the Iridium to pretty Shep up in case the whole Arrival thing went to a Court Martial.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised at the extent to which the game hasn't provided any exposition at all regarding the stuff in the Arrival DLC (also, to a lesser extent, the Liara stuff). If I didn't have internet meta-knowledge, I'd be totally clueless as to why Shepard is starting this game in Alliance Jail.

Anyhow, the gameplay so far is familiar and enjoyable. And the additional RPG elements in ability development and equipment loadout are welcome. I did have to run to the internet to figure out what the heck it meant when one of the abilities I could select increased my weight capacity, but the answer I found pleased me-- hopefully they've found a happy medium between ME1's messy and micromanagy inventory system and ME2's "you get what we give you" approach.

As for the writing, the game's early attempts at pathos are comically heavy-handed, but that's well in keeping with the series thus far. Some of the ME2 subplots did exceed this expectation-- particulary Mordin's and Samara's loyalty missions-- but those are exceptions to the rule of ham-handed "you should be sad now" moments, like the one in the prologue with the kid. It's disappointing, but it's a familiar disappointment that I've felt ever since that first chat with the Citadel Council in ME1. I didn't expect that the series would change its stripes this late in the offing, but I do hope that I can find some similar highpoints in subplots later on.

Edited by Enoch
  • Like 1

Speaking of which, I'm surprised at the extent to which the game hasn't provided any exposition at all regarding the stuff in the Arrival DLC (also, to a lesser extent, the Liara stuff). If I didn't have internet meta-knowledge, I'd be totally clueless as to why Shepard is starting this game in Alliance Jail.

That frustrated me, to be honest. I didn't know what happened in the Arrival DLC (since I had no way to get it and had been offline mostly for some time) so I didn't know why I was grounded under house arrest. Only later did I read what had happened in Arrival. Too bad EA doesn't release compilation editions of their games + expansions when building a game that relies on those expansions for narrative hooks...

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Just finished The Journey Down: Chapter One. It's enjoyable but short. It's a standard point & click. Some of the puzzles are kind of interesting but not particularly challenging. The graphics are dated but decent enough. Good voice acting and a fantastic soundtrack make for a great atmosphere and are the highlights of the game. I got a couple of good laughs out of it. Finished it in about 2 hours. For 5 1/2 bucks that's not bad, but I would have definitely liked something a bit meatier for my money. Hopefully Chapter 2 will be longer. All in all, it's a good way to waste a couple of hours at a somewhat reasonable price.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

More Dark Souls.

I think I'm getting addicted. So I've made it through Anor Londo. And I'm looking for a place to farm blue titanite to upgrade my sword. Dark Souls 2 is on my definite pre-order list at this point.

Magic weapons are underpowered in Dark Souls. Maybe you should equip something else. Or finish anor londo and then go get the best pure magic sword available. You will have to cut a tail to get it.

As for blue titanite, those crystal golems in Dark Root Basin before the hydra drop them. After anor londo you'll find more places to farm it.

1.13 killed off Ja2.