Finishing moves

Finishing moves are known from various games. Skyrim, Dragon Age etc. they add flavor and athmosphere to the game and make battles more entertaining.

But with them comes one problem - should time stop during execution or battle should go normally.

Because player may be invulnerable during animation to prevent situations when finishing move will result in main hero slaughered by nearby enemies during his finishing animation.

Then, hero can use finihing move on the last opponent alive, killing others normally.

MzpydUh.gif

If you can control when an "execution" occurs then sure....otherwise, leave it for the last monster on the screen. I personally don't like watching animations that make no sense to take place/make the guy momentary invulnerable. Looking at you Assassins Creed.

I think that spectacular finishing moves (if there are any) should be reserved for boss encounters and the last remaining opponent in packs of enemies.

If finishing moves do play for regular monsters in the middle of battles it should only play on seldom occasions and shouldn't last long enough to become a detriment. A second or two at most.

I immensely disliked the finishing moves in Skyrim and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. They were shoddy (in Skyrim's case at least) and broke immersion.

However, I can see them working well in a game like Project Eternity due to the camera angle and the fact that you control a party of adventurers rather than a single character.

Anyhow, as I said, if they do play in the middle of battles they shouldn't last so long that the rest of your party are left stranded.

• Like 1

When in doubt, blame the elves.

I have always hated the word "censorship", I prefer seeing it as just removing content that isn't suitable or is considered offensive

I don't remember correctly, could enemies harm you while performing a final finishing move in Warhammer 40000 Dawn of War I/II?

Battle should proceed as normal, giving enemies the possibility to damage/kill you during a finishing move.

Ah, DoW, yes, players cried when Big Mek gone on his animation spree. Immune to damage and almost every kill with finishing animation. Issue was so serious that developers changed chance of sync0kill dramatically. Every ork player exploited it horribly.

Dragon Age had opposite problem, when your char gone on sync-kill or was affected by some deliberating ability - like dog chewin on you or spider pounced on you - you still took damgae from every source.

MzpydUh.gif

Given PE is an Isometric game I don't take issue with the idea that some important killings have different animations than other attacks. I don't want a GTA/Deus:Ex style execution camera though. Those get really old fast.

When you say "finishing moves" all I can think of is over-the-top japanese games and cartoons where the character rushes forward screaming something like "HISSATSU!" and attacks, then it cuts to a shot of the character looking at the camera with the enemy motionless behind them, then they say the name of the attack and calligraphic kanji of the attack name appear on screen before the enemy explodes/gets sliced in half/their head comes off/etc.

Usually the blood geyser or explosion happens right as the attacker sheathes their weapon.

I could live without finishing moves at all - I only find them mildly entertaining the first time they occur and generally immersion breaking after that. I'm thinking there are probably other things the team could do with the time and resources they will require that may make for a better game.

Nomadic Wayfarer of the Obsidian Order

Not all those that wander are lost...

http://forums.obsidian.net/topic/60674-finishing-moves/

No finishing moves at all, please. :p

• Like 1

The KS Collector's Edition does not include the Collector's Book.

Which game hook brought you to Project Eternity and interests you the most?

PE will not have co-op/multiplayer, console, or tablet support (sources): [0] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7]

Write your own romance mods because there won't be any in PE.

"But what is an evil? Is it like water or like a hedgehog or night or lumpy?" -(Digger)

"Most o' you wanderers are but a quarter moon away from lunacy at the best o' times." -Alvanhendar (Baldur's Gate 1)

I wouldn't mind very, very basic finishing moves, (a slightly different attack), but beyond that, no thanks.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

A poll here.

I would like some variation, some visual cue when you roll a critical and waste the guy in one brilliant stroke.

But nothing spectacular, no cutscenes.

And I hate it when you pommel a guy 50 times and on the final killing stroke your sword goes all the way through or splits him in two.

Why couldn't you just hit like that on the first strike and save me some time...

My thoughts from the Combat Animations thread.

Could it be possible to sync it somehow?

The problem with finishing moves (imo) is that they are much more fancy than the overall combat and it kind of takes away one of your characters for a period of time (pack of Darkspawn+an Ogre or two? Expect to have 1 character less when the Ogre goes down). If there was some way to combine the overall battle animations with the finishing move that would be sweet! Would it be resourceful as a development? Dunno.

I would prefer no finishing moves+IE style combat (slow motion time phase when enemy gets struck by critical hit and becoming pieces of meat? Sure) or finishing moves+combined combat animations.

Mechnically:

Stamina could be "Taking Action" (blocking, parrying, dodging, casting, attacking)

Health could be "Taking Damage" (stabbed, hit, damage, chopped, basically shedding blood)

Dice roll example:

Stamina = Shield basically.

1st Roll (You): Clash, enemy blocks with a shield.

2nd Roll (Enemy): Clash, you block with a shield.

3rd Roll (You): Attack! You broke through the defenses.

4th Roll (You/Enemy): How much damage do you do? How good was the attack? Does the enemy mitigate some damage?

^Does that even have to be visual? Could it be IE styled somehow, where the dice rolls are more narrated and/or representative to something similar as above? (Visually the enemy and player go "Chop chop" at each other, but in the Log it says "You blocked!")

Edited by Osvir

I'd be happy with very simple and completely integrated finishing moves just as different animations within combat. Maybe give crits (or just crits that kill the enemy) to give a different animation. Nothing that changes the flow of the game though. No zooming or time warping. Its really not necessary. But I wouldn't be against it.

I have to agree with many posters here that I would like finishing moves if they really are saved for the last monster in the group, reserved for bosses, prevent the slayer from getting killed mid-stab (this was a problem in DA:O), and/or better streamlined or simplified so they don't stand out too much. Though I love finishing moves from DA:O, I think they can be improved for future games. (Take the good, fix the bad. =)

Also, while I can't speak for Skyrim, I noticed that Dragon Age: Origins finishing moves only occur for melee fighters. If you're a mage or an archer, you never get the the slow, dramatic finishing move or the fancy, creative killing animation. If Project Eternity does include finishing moves of some kind (though it's entirely their choice), I would love for them to be available for every class; or at least every basic fighting style. (That last dramatic slash/stab for melee, that final arrow drawn slowly and released dramatically a la Merida from Brave, or that final blast of magical energy raining down by a spellcaster.) I think every class deserves a chance to do something that looks and feels amazing. ^_^

"Not I, though. Not I," said the hanging dwarf.

Also, while I can't speak for Skyrim, I noticed that Dragon Age: Origins finishing moves only occur for melee fighters. If you're a mage or an archer, you never get the the slow, dramatic finishing move or the fancy, creative killing animation.

What really bothered me in DA:O, is you did get those cinematic ones even with mage.

Fireball that ogre a few times, then a bit of lightning to finish him off.... and then you see yourself running with a dagger going all stabbity stab on his face! The what the what the hellington now was that. :(

Edited by Jarmo

Finishing moves are pure fluff and doesn't add anything to the game except for some "WOWTHAT'SOBEAUTIFULLYBRUTALI'MCRYING" effect. Even if I liked very much the special death animations of Fallout 1&2, I could go without. From my point of view, good sound design can easily provide the satisfying feeling of brutality that goes with a critical hit/kill.

• Like 1

When you kill someone - Its a finishing move - You are after all finishing them off. Maybe if time slowed slightly for every kill that was because of a certain type.

Crit / Instadeath etc..

You don't need new fancy animations, the same animations would work, just slow time a little to show that you are landing a kill? Or apply it to the last standing enemy - as always you can turn it off in options.

Juneau & Alphecca Daley currently tearing up Tyria.

A resounding No! to 'finishing moves'. They add nothing substantial to a game such as what PE will be, and are fundamentally unrealistic eye candy and a waste of a hotkey,

If we were talking about a console fighting game such as Mortal Combat sure, maybe let's have em. We're not. Critical hits are the way to go. A variety of death animations would be nice, as would maybe critically hit monsters being 'chunked' ala the Infinity games. Having special abilities only to be used to 'finish off' a target is not. Not only is it a waste of a keybind, but it really wouldn't feel right in a game such as this. There are reasons some of us don't hold Dragon Age in as high regard as we do the IE games (the story was good the way the gameplay had issues), and serious yuck to Skyrim all around, 'Finishing moves' while not the major reason is a part of it. I'd take unaltered IE combat over DA:O or especially Skyrim combat any day.

Edited by Valsuelm

Critical hits are the way to go. A variety of death animations would be nice, as would maybe critically hit monsters being 'chunked' ala the Infinity games.

I agree with this.

My gut feeling about finishing moves is that they're up there with "planking" and those reality TV shows you love to hate.

They're fine in console fighting games that use modern uber-styling as their selling point.

P:E should do all it can to remain timeless, like the IE games.

Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for.

Urgh. I really hated the finishing animations in DAO and Skyrim. Like, it was cool the very first time I did it to the ogre, but every single instance afterwards was just a test of patience.

Also, I impaled a dragon on my ****ing hammer. What the hell, man?

• Like 1
jcod0.png

Thanks, but not thanks, to finishing moves. They're generally chocked full of preposterousness designed to appeal to the kiddywinks. Leaping 6' in the air while wearing full plate to deliver a killing blow to an ogre? *eyeroll* Leave that sort of silliness for the Saturday morning cartoons, please.

• Like 2

http://cbrrescue.org/

Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forests and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoors experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person.----Fred Bear

http://michigansaf.org/

Enough fatalities? Good then let's again concentrate on story.

"You are going to have to learn to think before you act, but never to regret your decisions, right or wrong. Otherwise, you will slowly begin to not make decisions at all."