3. Diablo 3 (pc - preordered)

4. Mark of the Ninja (pc - full price)

5. Xcom: EU (pc - preordered)

6. Borderlands 2 (xbox - preordered)

7. Dragon's Dogma (ps3 - bargain)

8. Far Cry 3 (pc - full price)

9. Assassins Creed 3 (ps3 - full price)

10. Spec Ops: The Line (pc - bargain)

runners up: kingdoms of amalur (pc- bargain), quantum conundrum (pc-full price), mass effect 3 (pc-full price)

still have to play: guild wars 2, torchlight 2, max payne 3, rayman, fez, FTL, legend of grimrock, crusader kings 2, sleeping dogs

thoughts comparing this years list to last years list regarding systems played and prices paid: my two highest games this year were games i paid very little money for (thanks steam!). last year nothing in my top 5 was less than a full price game. i paid full price for only 6 games this year, last year it was 8, so woohoo to saving money and bummer to "why are there no good gamez anymorez... :( last year i had literally no xbox games in my top ten, this year the only one was borderlands 2, and thats because my wife likes xbox controllers more than ps3 controllers. this year i only have 1 console exclusive game in my top ten list (dragons dogma), last year there was also only 1 (dark souls) but that game later got a pc release.

BONUS LIST!!!!11! (for fun, here is last years list:)

Top Games of 2011 (made at end of 2011)

1. Skyrim (pc - preordered)

2. Portal 2 (pc - preordered)

3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution (pc - full price)

4. Dragon Age 2 (pc - preordered)

5. Dark Souls (ps3 - full price)

6. Batman: Arkham City (ps3 - preordered)

7. The Witcher 2 (pc - full price)

8. Mortal Kombat 9 (ps3 - full price)

9. Bulletstorm (pc - bargain)

10. Frozen Synapse (pc - bargain)

runners up: binding of isaac, cthulhu saves the world, Dead Island

I have to still play: Total War: Shogun 2, Gemini Rue, Dead Space 2, Costume Quest, Bastion, LA Noire, Uncharted 3, Catherine

(2012 notes:

- i still haven't played Catherine, Shogun 2, Gemini Rue, or LA Noire.... my backlog grows heavier each passing year!

- Looking back, i can't believe i put dragon age 2 above dark souls, a year later i feel VERY differently about which of those was better than the other!

- having now played Bastion, i would put it number 7)

SUPER BONUS LIST!!!!!! (here is the 2010 list just for fun)

1. Fallout: New Vegas (PC) - preordered

2. Mass Effect 2 (PC) - preordered

3. Red Dead Redemption (Xbox) full price, not preordered

4. Super Street Fighter 4 (Xbox) preordered

5. Starcraft 2 (PC) - full price

6. Assassins Creed Brotherhood (PS3) - half price

7. Heavy Rain (PS3) - bargain bin

8. Civilization 5 (PC) - gift

9. Splinter Cell Conviction (Xbox) - bargain bin

10. Castlevania Lords of Shadow (ps3) - half price

runners up: Battlefield Bad Company 2 (bargain bin PC), Limbo (full price, Xbox), Alpha Protocol (bargain bin, PC)

2012 notes on my 2010 list: i still like every game in my top ten of this year, 2010 was a good year for games, makes 2012 look just absolutely terrible by comparison.

BONUS LIST!!!!!

MY TOP TEN OF 2009

Dragon Age

Street Fighter 4

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Assassins Creed 2

Borderlands

Empire: Total War

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Resident Evil 5

Plants v Zombies

Trine

2012 notes: i didnt keep records as well back in 09...

Edited by entrerix
  • Like 1

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I refuse to organize lists. Making the distinction that game-I-love-A is better than game-I-love-B is hard enough most of the time, but some games push that line and I don't care about stressing it.

Dragon's Dogma

Spec-Ops: The Line

Borderlands 2

Deponia

Deponia 2 (hey, they both released this year in NA)

The Walking Dead

Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

Journey

Halo 4 (I'm desperate for a 10th item, and I thought it at least good)

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

yeah most years im a bit desperate for my 8-10, i usually end up putting games that were just "ok", years with 10 great games are rare

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

My top ten list (not in any particular order):

Crusader Kings 2

... seriously, Diablo 3 might have had potential, but I don't think it would fit in a proper top 10- list, which leaves me with only one title... Feels like I'm getting old :/

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

Crusader Kings 2

... seriously, Diablo 3 might have had potential, but I don't think it would fit in a proper top 10- list, which leaves me with only one title... Feels like I'm getting old :/

Ha! My best-of-2012 list is twice as long as yours:

Crusader Kings 2

Legend of Grimrock

(I also played Torchlight 2 and had some fun, but absent co-op partners whose company I enjoy, it doesn't really hold my interest for more than a couple hours. Pure ARPGs have never really been my thing.)

I am not nearly a dedicated or genre-omnivorous enough gamer to do this kind of thing. Also, I built a new PC in late 2011 and bought a load of games in 2011 holiday sales (Skyrim, DE:HR, Witcher 2, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Shogun2, among others). So I spent much of my 2012 gaming time playing 2011 games, which means that I haven't been in any particular rush to pick up 2012 new releases. (For example, I'm interested in XCOM, Dishonored, Stacking, and Mass Effect 3, but I haven't bought them yet.)

Edited by Enoch

Crusader Kings 2

Ha! My best-of-2012 list is twice as long as yours:

Crusader Kings 2

Legend of Grimrock

(I also played Torchlight 2 and had some fun, but absent co-op partners whose company I enjoy, it doesn't really hold my interest for more than a couple hours. Pure ARPGs have never really been my thing.)

I am not nearly a dedicated or genre-omnivorous enough gamer to do this kind of thing. Also, I built a new PC in late 2011 and bought a load of games in 2011 holiday sales (Skyrim, DE:HR, Witcher 2, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Shogun2, among others). So I spent much of my 2012 gaming time playing 2011 games, which means that I haven't been in any particular rush to pick up 2012 new releases. (For example, I'm interested in XCOM, Dishonored, Stacking, and Mass Effect 3, but I haven't bought them yet.)

I've yet to play Legend of Grimrock, so I can't put it on my list :) Maybe I haven't been playing enough lately...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I don't know if there's been 10 games in 2012 I've enjoyed enough to even list.

Games I had fun with this year (in no order):

Sleeping Dogs

The Witcher 2 (XBox edition)

Risen 2

Borderlands 2

3/4 of Mass Effect 3 ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Top 10 games I've enjoyed in 2012... Standard Disclaimer: always subject to change at any given moment

Planescape Torment

Fallout: New Vegas

Baldurs Gate 2

Icewind Dale

Carmageddon

Master of Orion 2

X-Com 3: Apocalypse

Warlock - Master of the Arcane

Crusader Kings 2

Tombraider

A sad list really :(

Almost made the list

Mass Effect 2

Trine 1+2

Dragons Age 2 - Shadow of the Assassin (I would have mentioned Legacy if it wasn't for the stupid fire puzzle)

Dishonoured (got to spend too little time on it yet)

Kotor 2 with TSLCRM

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1. Of Orcs and Men

Honestly?

I just bought it, but haven't started it. I think your previous posts are what sold me on it.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Crusader Kings 2 was good. Risen 2 was OK. The obligatory annual PES 2013 & Football Manager 2013 were OK. Diablo 3 was disappointing. I think that's all the full price purchases in 2012.

Otherwise, timesinks included the Age of Decadence demo, Caesar 3, Skyrim, Arcanum, Dungeons of Dredmor, BG2 and KOTOR2 (current).

Feel confident in ignoring for now: Dishonoured, X-COM, Hitman, Dark Souls - will be looking for them at 5-10$ sales.

2012 releases:

1.Hotline Miami

2.Far Cry 3

3.Spec Ops: The Line

4.Borderlands 2

5.Max Payne 3

6.The Darkness 2

7.Dishonored

8.Tokyo Jungle

Honorable Mentions: Lollipop Chinsaw, Mass Effect 3, Sniper Elite V2, Rock of Ages

Still haven't beaten yet: Journey, Dragon's Dogma

Still haven't played yet: Assassin's Creed 3, XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Non 2012 releases:

Oddworld: Strangers Wrath

Alice: Madness Returns

Alone in the Dark

Catherine

Uncharted 3(gameplay is still crappy but the story is pretty good)

Just Cause 2

Splatterhouse

Trine 2

...and the top 3 crappy games I played this year:

Goldeneye 007: Reloaded(making a COD clone out of a timeless classic?! welldone...)

Hydrophobia(this is what happens when the developers can decide what the ultimate goal of their game is supposed to be...or maybe they were really aiming for frustration, bad writing, bad execution and crappy gameplay)

Wakeboarding HD(I was expecting something like Wave Race 64...)

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

Well, my 2012-release list is rather short

1. Guild Wars 2

2. The Walking Dead

3. Torchlight 2

4. Lone Survivor

5. Spec Ops

6. Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet (PC)

7. Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP

The list is too short for proper Top 10, so I also made a list from all the games I first played on 2012

1. Fallout: New Vegas

2. Witcher 2

3. Thief Gold

4. Guild Wars 2

5. Walking Dead

6. Bastion

7. Deus Ex: GOTY Edition

8. Killing Floor

9. Torchlight 2

10. Lone Survivor

Edited by Nordicus

Honorable Mentions: [...] Rock of Ages

Forgot about Rock of Ages... It's a rather small indie title, but I think I'd like to add it to my list as well :)
  • Like 1

1. Borderlands 2

2. Borderlands 2

3. Borderlands 2

4. Borderlands 2

5. Borderlands 2

6. Borderlands 2

7. Borderlands 2

8. Borderlands 2

9. Borderlands 2

10. Borderlands 2

Runners up:

The Walking Dead

Dishonored

The 2nd Super Robot Wars OG

Civilization V: Gods & Kings

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Sleeping Dogs

Kingdoms of Amalur

Mass Effect 3 Multi-Player

Mass Effect 3 Single Player

Wasted the most time with Borderlands 2, Civ 4, Diablo 3, Saints Row 3 and the Gabriel Knight series and the usual trolling myself with FIFA 12 and 13. Sleeping Dogs, Dishonored and XCOM were fun to go through as well.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

... It's a rather small indie title

Yes. Unfortunately, it's a very underappreciated game. One of those "best game nobody played" kind of games.

Edited by Astiaks

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

1. Mark of the Ninja

2. Tales of Graces f (Not finished but almost done.)

3. Rayman Origins

4. Sleeping Dogs

5. Dishonored

6. Risen 2: Dark Waters

7. Trine 2

8. Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus (HD release on PSN in March)

9. Penny Arcade's on the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3

10. Sound Snapes

These are actually the 2012 releases I have completed. None of these games are on the list because of good story, instead they are on the list because they had fun gameplay, Risen 2 for its exploration, despite not being as good as the first one.

If I counted games released anytime, then Mark of the Ninja would be in 4th place at best.

Walking Dead

X-com

Fallen Enchantress

These three are easily interchangeable and difficult to choose between. Might put FE as #1 given it's replay ability and mod ability

4. Warlock Master of Arcane

5. Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion

6. Dragon's Dogma

7. Crusader Kings 2

8: Mass Effect 3

9. Sword of Stars 2 (Yeah released last year, but only playable this year.)

10. Game of Thrones

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

My list in no particular order:

Legend of Grimrock - old school, baby and by Finns

FTL - Didn't back this up on KS, but bought it pretty much immediately from STEAM. Another great indie game

Giana Sisters - Still playing it, for 10 dollars pretty decent fun.

Crusader Kings 2 - One of the few games I've actually pre-ordered this year. As always (with Paradox games) at some point I get bored / move on to other games. Should get back to my Finnish/Swedish kingdom someday.

Max Payne 3 - bought this at a serious discount from STEAM. While it doesn't have the same feel Remedy's games had, it still a decent shooter.

Still got some games I want from the 2012 stock, but haven't bought them yet, so the list is missing some pretty good games I imagine :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

Of the several 2012 releases I played:

1. Borderlands 2 (mostly for the co-op, this time around)

2. Botanicula

That's it.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts