IWD2 - Game Killer for PE? Noooooo!

@Malekith: Exactly my point more or less. And yeah, GUi, IWD2 had the best of them as far as im concerned. But it didn't take up so much of the damn screen. Very compact awhile ultimately having more depth in information and details then the past games... very good stuff. Also yeah good point on BG3, kinda feels like there second chance at it to some extent.

Curious if they'll get to work with beamdog if the BG3 thing ever actually does make it off the ground with Trent. I mean BG3 made with PE advancements and both teams coopin' it could be an exciting thing. Another discussion for another time (that may never arrive).

Edited by Adhin

Def Con: kills owls dead

Keep in mind IWD2 was made in ten months, and they were feeling the pressure of making 'yet another IE game' that actually tried to introduce new things. I love the game, but some of the convoluted scripting that resulted in the Fell Wood and other areas were not really what the team intended.

This is correct. While I think puzzles have their place and can be very enjoyable, the designers of the Ice Palace and Fell Wood were both less than satisfied with how they had to implement their ideas. On paper, their ideas were pretty good, IMO. I don't think I'm misrepresenting them to say that they would have preferred to change their fundamental area designs if they could go back in time (via the bottom level of Dragon's Eye).

We have been bitten by the Pit Viper of Sketchy Puzzle Implementations one too many times, so the puzzles in PE will be put under heavy scrutiny for viability and *~ actual fun ~* when they are being designed and implemented.

• Like 3

Well I hope at least some of IWD2's focus will be brought into PE. I know it's probably just me, but I've never liked it in games where you're supposed to be going off to stop the planet from exploding or whatever, and then you stop for two weeks to help some farmer find his dog or something. It just kind of takes the air out of the adventure's tires for me.

I like IWD2's approach to side quests; where you're going into some cavern or some such for a particular reason (to find a way past a blocked path, for instance) and some side characters give you things to do while you're in there. As opposed to just going off in a completely perpendicular direction to do something completely unrelated.

• Like 2