Black Isle Returns?

Oerwinde

I'm in agreement that this seems really shabby - if those involved really want to start again with a clean slate, they should create their own brand rather than trying to capitalise on the Black Isle name.

The Reddit page does include a link showing their current funding and at $2,757 it doesn't look as if too many are falling for this.

Edited by AstralWanderer

Would I be the only one who thinks that they should make PV13: Brotherhood of Steel 2? Only appropriate, right?

Or is "Brotherhood of Steel" trademarked by Bethesda too?

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Lionheart.

Could have been a good game, and was for the first bits, and shouldn't be lumped in with the rest.

It should be. It is the perfect example of a potentially great game which was butchered halfway in development, dumbed down, and then sold to the masses with the Black Isle brand on it. Lionheart basically summarizes what happened to Interplay when Herve took over in a nutshell.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I hope it comes to fruition, I hope it is good, and if both of those happen, I hope it succeeds.

That said, I will not be supporting it.

My thoughts exactly. The premise of the game actually sounds good and I hope it succeeds and is a great game. How much faith do I have that the game will actually be great... or at least good... or even ever released at all? None whatsoever. I certainly won't be pledging a single penny. If they actually make and release this game and it's a good game then I may well buy it.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Lionheart.

Could have been a good game, and was for the first bits, and shouldn't be lumped in with the rest.

It should be. It is the perfect example of a potentially great game which was butchered halfway in development, dumbed down, and then sold to the masses with the Black Isle brand on it. Lionheart basically summarizes what happened to Interplay when Herve took over in a nutshell.

Lionheart is an example of inexperienced developers not really knowing what they were doing. It was suposed to be an action RPG but the forum community pushed for more story amd they mamaged tp pack it pretty full at the start. Problem was they assumed RPG players would save some quests for later rather than doing everything possible as soon as it was possible, leading to the first half of the game being almost BG in quality, andthe second half was like diablo without fun combat.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

--- Update #3 --- Take a deep breath.

We were working on a previous version of PV13, which would have gone in a very different direction, but had to take a deep breath and throw out that previous design work. We’re back with a new vision and new concept that we want to share with you.

Our new game is post-apocalyptic. We dig the genre. The world has ended (exactly how is a mystery) and the story is all about what pitiful little survivors are left.

What we don’t dig are some of the genre tropes. We’re actively avoiding anything that looks like the desert for our setting. We’re not going all Waterworld on you, but endless flat plains of brown sand are not in the cards.

There are ruins; lots of ruins. Our vision is one of crumbling buildings, ruined skyscrapers and the remains of humanity’s great technology progress on display for all to mourn and pity. More junk for you to scavenge, steal or rebuild.

See, rebuilding is a great theme. Most of the PA games to date have got the apocalypse covered. We’d like to see what comes next. What would people when they are given the tools necessary to make something new from something old?

That’s where the strategy part of the game comes in. Each player is in charge of a small community: a few small ruins and even fewer survivors. From that you will forge a new town or city. We want you to choose what to focus on and how to rebuild. You’ll make decisions as to where certain buildings will go and how they will be staffed. You’ll need to recruit additional survivors to make it all work.

But the player is more than just a mayor or city planner. They have to take an active role in confronting the challenges and dangers of this brave new world. That’s where the missions come into play. Missions are self-contained adventures where the player character is under direct control. You move, shoot, sneak, ambush – whateverit takes to get the job done. Rewards from missions can benefit your town, and your town’s hard work can make your missions easier (or even possible in the first place). It’s a big circle – what you do in adventures affects your town and what you do in town affects your adventuring.

http://www.blackisle.com/

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

My problem is that's like exactly the kind of game I want. Though Forsaken Fortress sounds like it will do a decent job of it, it looks more like post apocalyptic sims. Building and managing a city/town appeals to me more than a house. I sadly just don't have faith in the people doing it.

• Like 1
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Why is Chris Taylor still at Black Isle?

Probably because he has bills to pay and doesn't have the confidence/recklessness/investors/team to strike out on his own venture. Not everybody is well-equipped to thrive in the winner-take-all, (financial) might-makes-right world of capitalism, after all.

Edited by AGX-17

I don't think he's working and this may be quite interesting when you still get paid for years on and on. I think that's the reason.

I don't know what he's been doing in the last few months, but he's most certainly been working on Fallout Online. The fact that the work didn't pay off and we saw very little of it doesn't really mean he just spent time in the office just playing darts and drinking beers with the Caens.

I'm not sure that Fallout Online was intended to be a game and not just leverage against Bethesda. From what I remember, Interplay invested 2 million dollars into the production of FO. Doesn't look like a real budget for an MMO, but it does look like a budget that one would invest in hopes of claiming "lost profits" when settling with Bethesda. Didn't work out as they thought it would, apparently.

IE Mod for Pillars of Eternity: link

I'm not sure that Fallout Online was intended to be a game and not just leverage against Bethesda. From what I remember, Interplay invested 2 million dollars into the production of FO. Doesn't look like a real budget for an MMO, but it does look like a budget that one would invest in hopes of claiming "lost profits" when settling with Bethesda. Didn't work out as they thought it would, apparently.

They definitely did some work on it. It never made any financial sense, yes, but they did what they could with the budget they had. There are in-game assets, design docs (not much has leaked to the public unfortunately) and artwork out, so it's not like "no work has been done" can even be said.

Friendly reminder. The guys who bought Interplay and ran it into the ground were the developers of this game: http://en.wikipedia....999_video_game)

The realization that the TWO YEARS it took Black Isle to make Planescape: Torment, Herve & Eric at Titus spent making that steaming pile of ****:

How could Herve Caen then go on to buy Interplay and crash it to the ground? Truly, the world is not a fair place...

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

@whining: *shrug*

@company:

What I said before the other thread died. "Creative QA". Some free employees. I can't say I think what they are doing is bad, they are introducing new people into development for a price. They also mention that you'd be able to use it in a resume. Seeing how P:E and Wasteland 2 right now stands, Black Isle is inspired by something. It is like they are adding one step before being able to work in "Technical QA".

In my opinion, Black Isle Studios does it wittingly but that doesn't mean that it is any lesser of a serious matter. The Developers (Black Isle Studios) can directly communicate with the Forums as if they were employers and the Forums could be used more of a "Meeting" I guess. If you are a Developer you might understand, heck if you know any work. I used to work in stocktaking, to make it better I had to discuss with my colleges at the job, for the job and be able to demonstrate work for the job "Pointing at things" etc. etc. it is another mentality than what we are doing on these forums. There is no guidance here (because the higher tier backers got that privilege).

So what Black Isle Studios is doing might actually be great for the game. A whole new way of developing products and ideas, no? As a customer you know what you want, and discussing with the costumers so they get that is probably good. That doesn't mean the game gets tailored for a specific group, it just means that the game gets more polished. Regardless, if Black Isle Studios makes the game by themselves the game gets tailored around them, so it is also about "expanding the circle" for how "big" or "good" game it should be.

5 people makes a game, they really like it and think its great, problem is no one else does.

30 people makes a game, they really like it and think its great, chances are that more people are going to like it is substantially bigger.

Edited by Osvir

Those idiots who post this isn't Black Isle because of the team are the biggest idiots in the world. If it were because of the team, you are on BLACK ISLE's FORUMS!

Obsidian

InXile

Black isle

Treyarch

Sony Santa Monica

What do they have in common? They are companies, except one of them can only be a company depending on the people that are in it? BULL****. I'm sure that if they had good rewards to give, they would have gone to Indigioo or whatever the **** it is. But they dont. I'm not saying support them, I'm not saying don't give them money. Humour yourselves, give five dollars. It's not exactly a waste, I mean it's five dollars bro, most of you on this forum aren't going to get laid so quit saving up for that five dollar condom. Just donate that much and say Screw It. Herve Caen can go die in a pit for all I care. I have not donated yet, but I will donate five dollars because of Chris Taylor, Mark O'Green, Clendenning (who is from what Black Isle would be today if it were up to the people) and Chip Baumgardner (who too is from Interplay). Each of these guys is connected to the old Black isle one way or another.

If you don't donate, okay. I'll smile when I think about how much Herve is pissed.

Not donating because Fergus isn't on the team is petty. Not donating because Caen himself donated 75 is understandable.

Those idiots who post this isn't Black Isle because of the team are the biggest idiots in the world. If it were because of the team, you are on BLACK ISLE's FORUMS!

Obsidian

InXile

Black isle

Treyarch

Sony Santa Monica

What do they have in common? They are companies, except one of them can only be a company depending on the people that are in it? BULL****. I'm sure that if they had good rewards to give, they would have gone to Indigioo or whatever the **** it is. But they dont. I'm not saying support them, I'm not saying don't give them money. Humour yourselves, give five dollars. It's not exactly a waste, I mean it's five dollars bro, most of you on this forum aren't going to get laid so quit saving up for that five dollar condom. Just donate that much and say Screw It.

KxWwD.jpg

Edited by AGX-17

I mean it's five dollars bro, most of you on this forum aren't going to get laid so quit saving up for that five dollar condom.

r00fles!

I'd suggest you stop talking about yourself when generalizing. :p

• Like 1

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Obsidian

InXile

Black isle

Treyarch

Sony Santa Monica

What do they have in common? They are companies, except one of them can only be a company depending on the people that are in it? BULL****. I'm sure that if they had good rewards to give, they would have gone to Indigioo or whatever the **** it is. But they dont. I'm not saying support them, I'm not saying don't give them money. Humour yourselves, give five dollars. It's not exactly a waste, I mean it's five dollars bro, most of you on this forum aren't going to get laid so quit saving up for that five dollar condom. Just donate that much and say Screw It.

KxWwD.jpg

You FORGOT THE BRO JACKASS!